http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 06:58:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else having sleeping problems?  (Read 1772 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2005, 05:45:12 AM »

Maybe not necessarily a "problem" but I've never been a morning person, back when I worked 4pm-12am for DOC it was like a dream come true.
Now it's almost 2am EST and I need to leave for work by 6am and I'm not even a little tired.

Anyone else in a similiar situation? Up all night with work right around the corner?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 06:02:10 AM »

Ive been like this for as long as I can recall frown My sleep circadian rhythm has always been geared for me being awake all night to fall asleep at around 9 or so AM. Anything (everything) that forces me to contradict this leaves me tired and unnatural for the day.

Ways I've found to combat this include regular taking of excedrin (for its caffeine), sleeping pills and redbull to force a regular sleep schedule.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:11:58 AM »

Ive been going to bed pretty late too-around 4am and waking at around 12-that messed up schedule and my excessive overtraining has left me at times sleepy and not rested for too many mornings. Anyways, one day I hope to get on a better cycle.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 06:26:04 AM »

I don't have trouble sleeping...I just have trouble being tired enough to go to sleep.  Generally in the early evening I will feel pretty tired, but then a second wind comes by around 10pm and I'm usually up until 1 or 2am before I go to bed.  Weekends are the time I catch up on sleep it seems...my body seems to know when it is the weekend because I'll sleep for a long time.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 08:15:36 AM »

I'm, replying to this at 3:14 AM.No,I don't have any problems sleeping.  :shock:

Ye Olde Farte
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 10:08:37 AM »

6:14 here. frown
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »

I don't have sleeping problems per se, but if the room is too quiet my mind thinks about a million other things.  I need 'white noise' and always have a fan on when I'm trying to fall asleep.

The problem over the last year or so has been that if I wake up in the middle of the night (say to help my spooked daughter or because my dog barks) I CANNOT fall back to sleep because my mind is off and running.

This has probably happened 2 dozen times.  It's SO annoying.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 03:20:39 PM »

Ive been having sleep problems for over two years.  For some reason things revolve around 4am- Im either getting tired enough to sleep at 4am, or else i went to sleep early and wake up at 4am.

Actually, things have been getting better lately, but Im not declaring victory until it stays that way for a year: it seemed to 'get right' a few times before this, and didnt last.  

I have been getting a lot of sunlight lately, and that might have something to do with it (maybe) (I hope).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 03:27:01 PM »

Full time work + Full time School + this site + family = sleep when I can get it.  The only problem I have is trying to make sure I get enough sleep throughout a 24 hour cycle that I can function the next day.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 04:30:13 PM »

Depends on my stress level... if I'm worked up about something, my tinnitus gets really loud, which makes sleeping somewhat problematic smile  But like ATB, a white noise machine helps quite a bit.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 07:39:52 PM »

Aerobic exercise! Aerobic exercise! Aerobic exercise!

Wish I could do it - it really, really works.  My muscle disorder is bizarre - hurts like hell to exercise - but exercise is good for it... and I have a lot of aches and pains at night, so I speak from experience about sleeping problems.  But, when I'm feeling okay enough to "exercise" - 20 or so minutes on a flat treadmill - it helps enormously.  Try it, you'll like it.

Here are other recommendations for sleep aids - tried them all (do your own research, or email me for specifics, some help you fall asleep, others help you stay asleep):  melatonin;  "NiteRest" - herbal with melatonin; GABA; diphenhydramine hydrochloride; various anti-histamines; Tylenol PM;  valerian;  hot milk/ calcium/ late night carbohydrate dose/ turkey meat (for the tryptophan);  various prescription drugs (Ambien, chlonazepam, doxepin, trazedone, more).  Can't remember them all, but believe me - I'm an expert!  So is jpinard - feel free to bug him too! :twisted:  After all, he'll probably be awake, lol!

If you need an occasional drug to fall asleep, and your doc will let you have it, then try Ambien.  If you prefer herbal, try almost any Valerian compound (but hold your nose - it stinks like hell - there are a few like the  Glucosamine and Valerian combo (Flex-something, I think - email me if you want the name, i'll check) - that are coated enough to not be bad, but most of the ordinary "valerian in a capsule" are horrendously stinky!)

good luck, all!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 11:30:13 PM »

Yes...damn you World of Warcraft!!!
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 11:51:32 PM »

Hehe, I take Ambien... but boy do I hate it.  Makes me want to eat like a river rat and changes my personailty (as can be seen by any nasty posts I've made).  All of my angry/depressed psots have been made when Ambien didn't put me to sleep.

I also one day (after taking Ambien) decided I'd cut a 1/2" lump -probably some kind of giant mole or blood blister, off the side of my head (right above my ear).  And yea, I did it.  Blood all over the bathroom - (with just a razor blade) but I didn't feel much except the feeling to "cut further and get it all".  The next morning I was like "yikes!".  Totally unlike my normal behavior of being a nice calm person.

I'm sure the first thing people would say is, "Stay in bed!".  But it's weird, before it puts me to sleep it revs me up.  And if I don't take it and don't get sleep, I start getting REALLY bad heart arrythmia after 18 hours of awake time.

Saw an ad recently of a new one I might try, but I can't remember the name.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 03:59:55 AM »

It's that time of year when the weather gets warm enough to put our house above 68 degrees, and I don't sleep as good when it's over 68.

C'mon Winter!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 04:20:09 AM »

Hey, Jeff -

The one you're probably talking about is: Lunesta, from Sepracor, Inc.  Unlike Ambien, it's not supposed to lose it's effectiveness after you've been taking it awhile.  It should be out very soon, if it isn't already...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 05:01:29 AM »

Thank you Mytocles!  Calling my doc tomorrow.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 07:21:03 AM »

i've had a sleeping problem for the last week...it's called Guild Wars.  the fact that i'm on vacation for a few weeks with virtually no responsibilities doesn't give me much motivation to maintain a normal sleep schedule either...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 07:11:47 PM »

I didnt like Ambien either.  It didnt usually work, and the side effects made me feel like shit.  The sleep I did get with Ambien didnt feel restful anyway, so I decided it was better to feel good and not be able to sleep, than to sleep but feel like shit.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 10:39:27 PM »

I have horrid sleeping problems.  My first problem is I wake up at the slightest noise and can't sleep if it's not completly dark.  I also have bouts of insomnia a couple times a month .  I didn't always have insomnia, but started having problems with it when I started flying for an airline a few years back, before 9/11.  But even then it was a pretty rare occurance.

Now, however, I consistently have sleep problems/insomnia.  Last month I went 50 hours straight without sleep on one bout, and just over 36 on the other.  I hate it because I AM tired, very tired, yet sometimes just cannot sleep.  It makes me a mean sonofabitch, just ask my wife and coworkers.  I feel bad about it but I can't help it.

It's been really bad the past 2 years becuase of my work schedule (currently non flying job).  I am very much a night person, always have been.  I have to wake up at 345AM for the shift I have had since getting this job.  It has been hell.  I cannot, no matter how tired I am, fall asleep before 1130pm or so.  Thats if I fall alseep right when I hit the bed.  It usually takes me an or so to actually fall asleep once I go to bed.  Over the course of a work week I average 3.5 hours of sleep a night.  Problem is I'm one of these people who needs a solid 9 hours of sleep each night to feel rested.  Even at 8 I am still tired all day.  When I first started this shift everyone told me I'd get used to it - WRONG!!!!  Early mornings just kill me.  Funny thing I used to work graveyards and never had anywhere near this much trouble .  I can stay up all night no problem.  In fact I like to.  But getting up early is misery.

By the time my days off come I am completly drained.  I can take small amounts of early mornings and be ok, like in jobs past.  But  2 years straight of this has shot my immune system down the toilet.  I have never been so sick in my life.  My doc says he believes it is because I am so fatigued.  I know it's the cause.  On an occasional day off I wil get enough sleep and I feel like a new person .  The schedule and its side effects are  a big part of why  I'm trying to get out of this place.  I can't take sleeping pills because they ground me from flying.  I don't want to anyway as I think I'd become dependent on them.  I just really need to get a decent schedule so I can return to once energetic self!!

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 06:21:29 AM »

Interloper... I know how rough that is.  So sorry I don't have some magic advice for you.

Do you play games at all?  Maybe some "me" time with a game for 1/2 hour before bed will help you "chill out" and relax?
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 05:29:34 AM »

Ive actually been considering self-hypnosis for a while.  I just need to figure out a place to start, and dedicate time to reading about it.

There was one place I heard about called Positive Changes Hypnosis Centers, but I never looked into it or found out pricing.  But if it works, I cant see it wouldnt be worth it in regained productivity alone.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 01:15:56 PM »

Ugh, sleeping problems suck. I noticed, if I just let it go and do whatever my body wants, I would go on a ~14 hours awake/~11 hours asleep sleeping schedule. And yes, I'm aware that is over 24 hours. That means I sleep one hour later and later every night, until suddenly I'm no longer going to sleep really, really late, but going to sleep really, really early.

That's messed up. And when I try to force my body to change, it just refuses to go to sleep. I get insomnia, and get really tired, but nope my body just refuses to go to asleep. I lie there, and slip in and out of half-sleep all night. I HATE IT!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: