http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else having problems with Gone Gold?  (Read 45174 times)
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2004, 05:39:44 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

As for the community, I'm not going to vulture around and try to get you guys to come here.  I tried to get people to do things in the past and it blew up in my face, badly.  I learned a lot in those early days and I know better now.  If you guys want to come here, you are welcome.  We'll open whatever is necessary to facilitate the needs of the community.  (you can even bring all the hockey talk!)  If not, that's just fine too.  We are just starting to grow our community and there are a ton of new and exciting things that I know we can do with enough time.  I hope you'll all stick around to see that, but more than anything I'd just like to hear from Rich.  :/

I appreciate the kind welcome.  I think you and your staff have done a great job with the site.  I would have registered earlier but I play more games on the PC than I do on my XBox.  Also, I felt a little funny registering today because I wouldn't want to "abandon" this site once the GG forum (or if) comes back up.  There are alot of familiar names though and you have been very welcoming so I think I'll try to stick around.  Besides, Halo 2 is coming and PC gamer that I am, I still can't think of playing Halo 2 anywhere else but on my X Box with all its 5.1 Digital Dolby glory!  smile

Again, thanks for the welcome!

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2004, 05:44:46 PM »

Hello!!!

Another former GG'er here (old handle:  Rezzjedi).  Have not posted in ages (major life changes etc.).  Since "things" are slowly on the mend for me, I'm going to make every effort to participate and enjoy everyone's company here.

Good to "see" everyone again.

I'll cast my vote for hoping GG is not gone.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2004, 05:52:17 PM »

It would be a terribly sad day if GG was gone.  Of course, I'd probably be running my company now if not for all the time I spent in GG's forums!  GG was a great site, and ConsoleGold is as well, as it seems it is all the same people for the most part smile.  

I wish/hope an annoucement of some kind was made as well.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2004, 06:05:18 PM »

GG can't be done forever, it just can't be.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2004, 06:09:04 PM »

Not that I have anything else to add, really, but it DOES seem mighty odd that someone would simply pull the plug -- no message, no nothing - especially when for the last few months the mods have been making cryptic assertions that tthere was some stuff going on behind the scenes to reinvigorate gone gold.

Of course at the same time they said if people volunteered to help that it would be welcomed, but AFAIK people that DID volunteer were not really taken up on the offer.  MAybe it was the wrong kind of help being offered?  Who knows...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2004, 06:11:54 PM »

15 new members in 3 hours.  

Hopefully the trend will continue.  I would hate to lose touch with many of the folks at GG.  

Those of you that have the email address of other members of GG should pass the word on imho.  Some may not know about CG at all or might not have thought about the forum's here.  

I agree with having a PC Games forum here as well.  Sounds like a good idea to me.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2004, 06:12:34 PM »

Quote from: "Geezer"
Not that I have anything else to add, really, but it DOES seem mighty odd that someone would simply pull the plug -- no message, no nothing - especially when for the last few months the mods have been making cryptic assertions that tthere was some stuff going on behind the scenes to reinvigorate gone gold.

This leads me to believe it is more a technical problem.  At least till I am proved wrong.  Perhaps something went bad during a server migration?

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2004, 06:15:39 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2004, 06:15:41 PM »

Unless we see a massive user add we do allow PC gaming threads in the General Gaming Forum.  We can certainly entertain the idea of opening up a separate PC Gaming Forum, although I think we would hold off on that until we heard for sure whether GG is indeed dead or not.

We never opened up PC specific stuff over here (including reviews by the CG staff...yes, many of us do have computers where we play games on too, many of us came onto CG through the GG boards) because GG was still around and why should we step on the shoes of the site that begat us even though we are off on our own side of the internet?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2004, 06:15:56 PM »

I get the feeling that GG was running itself for the last few months, the forum moderators being the only people with any sort of administrative control.  Maybe Rich's subscription for the domain just ran out.  Maybe he doesn't care.

I rarely read Gonegold anymore, and have pretty much permanently moved my gaming discussion here, as of 6 months ago.  Why?  The cozy atmosphere that used to permeate gonegold has been absent for years.  I think that atmosphere was tied to Rich's presence, and out of respect for him, the community was always civil.  It used to be that everybody at gonegold knew all about Rich and his entire story, and everybody sympathized.

So, adieu, if it's gone.  It was good for a while (I joined in Jan 2000, I think), but it's not been the gonegold that I knew for a very very long time.

On a more positive note, I really enjoy the CG community!  Welcome to everybody who has come here from GG, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2004, 06:17:21 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
15 new members in 3 hours.  

I agree with having a PC Games forum here as well.  Sounds like a good idea to me.

Right on!
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2004, 06:17:54 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

perfect smile
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2004, 06:18:56 PM »

Problems with a site are -- hardware failure, software failure, hacking, server migration (DNS things), host problems (bills, idiot workers, bankrupt) and other things. if you are upgrading everything is more likely to go wrong. it is also the weekend so maybe if someone was doing work they would start now if it was not a regular job.

I found this site from there and what the hell!!   :lol:

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2004, 06:19:10 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

Yo!  dbt is in da house! biggrin

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2004, 06:21:20 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Maybe Rich's subscription for the domain just ran out.  

No, hehe,

Record expires on 08-Jul-2006  
 Record created on 09-Jul-1998  
 Database last updated on 07-Jul-2004

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2004, 06:21:51 PM »

If Drazzil doesn't make the move then it will never be the same.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2004, 06:27:46 PM »

Quote from: "Scraper"
If Drazzil doesn't make the move then it will never be the same.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2004, 06:28:29 PM »

Hey guys-

Like most of you, I would be sad to see GG go. I have only been here a couple times but I do occaisionally play PS2 with my sons and I have been thinking of getting an xbox.

If anyone passes through and wants to contact me my email is [email protected]

I know that GG changed over time, but even as it grew it was still a wonderfull community with a great group of posters.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2004, 06:29:09 PM »

If the plug had been pulled, wouldn't we get a 404 error, instead of a timeout error?

I have a 1and1 account for my site (www.jeffjones.org) and last month exceeded my 5 GB bandwidth limit, so they shut me down till the new month started.  If you tried to go there, it would connect, but you'd get a 404 page, not a timeout. Could be totally different though.

I'm holding out hope that it's just technical, and that we at least have a chance to say goodbye, and possibly organize on where to meet, etc, before it finally goes down for good.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2004, 06:30:40 PM »

Quote from: "Poleaxe"
Hey guys-

Like most of you, I would be sad to see GG go. I have only been here a couple times but I do occaisionally play PS2 with my sons and I have been thinking of getting an xbox.

If anyone passes through and wants to contact me my email is [email protected]

I know that GG changed over time, but even as it grew it was still a wonderfull community with a great group of posters.

Agreed smile  I'm mostly PC myself, but I got an Xbox and live to play sports games with my (now spread out across the country) friends from way-back times smile  We have a blast...
Velvet Elvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2004, 06:33:40 PM »

Sanctuary!
malchior
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2004, 06:36:44 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
If the plug had been pulled, wouldn't we get a 404 error, instead of a timeout error?

I have a 1and1 account for my site (www.jeffjones.org) and last month exceeded my 5 GB bandwidth limit, so they shut me down till the new month started.  If you tried to go there, it would connect, but you'd get a 404 page, not a timeout. Could be totally different though.

I'm holding out hope that it's just technical, and that we at least have a chance to say goodbye, and possibly organize on where to meet, etc, before it finally goes down for good.

Nope...that 404 page was a courtesy from your provider so to speak...the server was still there but they stopped showing your pages...

If rackshack disabled the account then the server would stop responding entirely.... frown
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2004, 06:38:09 PM »

Another Gonegolder here, saying hey. smile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2004, 06:40:12 PM »

Is everyone coming here?
Most users ever online was 29 on Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:03 pm

I think my time is messed up and this was just 30 minutes ago!

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2004, 06:41:33 PM »

Quote from: "malchior"

Nope...that 404 page was a courtesy from your provider so to speak...the server was still there but they stopped showing your pages...

If rackshack disabled the account then the server would stop responding entirely.... frown

Ok, thanks for the info, even though it's not good news.  There's a common perception that GG has gone downhill, and isn't what it used to be, etc, and that may well be true, but I held a non-federal-rprison kind of love for it to the end. It was still one of the top 2 or 3 forums in the gaming world, IMHO.

Uh-oh, I'm starting to use past-tense when referring to it.

Glad to see you here dbt! smile
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2004, 06:43:07 PM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
Is everyone coming here?

If you go into your profile (look at the top and you will see "Profile" up there) you will see that you can change your time zone to the correct one.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2004, 06:43:48 PM »

Quote from: "Poleaxe"

Halo 2 my friend...Halo 2...

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2004, 06:49:40 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
Is everyone coming here?

If you go into your profile (look at the top and you will see "Profile" up there) you will see that you can change your time zone to the correct one.

Thank you Dude much better.  And now...
Most users ever online was 30 on Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:44 pm

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2004, 06:50:04 PM »

Again, I'll say welcome.  If this plays out permanently, we'll have a PC forum up before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2004, 06:52:30 PM »

I suppose one way to look at it would be to think of it as the last breath of GG.

On the other hand, they could also be trying to relaunch (once more) the site. After all, I do remember Andy saying numerous times that something was going to happen eventually. Maybe this is it?

Or, maybe it's just a technical borkin', which'll be fixed soon enough.

Nevertheless, it's still a bit too early for me to start thinking it's the end of everything. Denial, how I loveth thee!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2004, 06:55:15 PM »

I can spell Katamari Damacy, does that mean I can stay? smile

Oh and hi to everyone!

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2004, 06:56:20 PM »

Hmm, so you'll accomodate us as best as you can.

Great, I'll start a poll to have the colors changed to black and gold. Or if you want to go truly retro: black and green biggrin

HELLO!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2004, 07:00:59 PM »

Quote from: "Napoleon"
Hmm, so you'll accomodate us as best as you can.

Great, I'll start a poll to have the colors changed to black and gold. Or if you want to go truly retro: black and green biggrin

Actually, the option to have black & gold would be nice. smile  And thanks KD, for your invite and willingness to expand.  

I was also glad to see your trading forum allows prices to be shown. I always thought that was a dumb rule at GG  :wink:
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2004, 07:02:10 PM »

Quote from: "Napoleon"
go truly retro: black and green biggrin

LOL.. where is dbt with that puking smilie?  smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2004, 07:09:01 PM »

I just have to say that I was a longtime poster over on Gone Gold as well, and while I haven't posted there in some time, I will be sad to see it go if it truly has gone.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Aliasbuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2004, 07:12:03 PM »

Since Mr. Jones, dbt, Siljanus et al are here - might as well jump in.  I'm one of the heathen non-console owners (there's only so much time in the day).

the-meal.net appears to be doa too - related perhaps or did Neal just give up on it?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2004, 07:16:24 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2004, 07:18:15 PM »

The 'classic' gold and brown option will be available.  If its requested, I'll built it in.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2004, 07:18:26 PM »

Another GGer checking in here to see if anyone knew the scoop on the forums.  smile  I guess we'll see...

I registered here at CG a while back when the site started up, but I haven't posted much since I am mostly a PC gamer with a side order of XBOX gaming.  I have been doing a little more XBOX lately, though (finished Mechassault and have started PoP, also have a half-finished BGE to get back to at some point...).

All right, back to work for now I guess!

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
malchior
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2004, 07:19:20 PM »

Quote from: "Aliasbuck"
Since Mr. Jones, dbt, Siljanus et al are here - might as well jump in.  I'm one of the heathen non-console owners (there's only so much time in the day).

the-meal.net appears to be doa too - related perhaps or did Neal just give up on it?

The plot thickens.... slywink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: