http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 05:55:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else having problems with Gone Gold?  (Read 45342 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2004, 03:15:36 AM »

It's been down for me since about seven.  Every once in a while when I try and reload it, I get prompted to download a file named something like "octet-stream".  Seems fishy to me.  Anyone else having this?

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 03:55:19 AM »

Yeah, problems here.  Gonegold's been creaking along for a few years now.  It's sad.  I really used to enjoy it when it was Rich's baby.  I don't know what he's up to now, but I hope he's having fun and not in too much pain.

hammer600
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 04:21:48 AM »

Yes, Gonegold seems to be down right now. A shame really as 3 or 4 years ago it was one of the webs best game sites.

Go Wings!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 04:32:23 AM »

Well, I won't doom/gloom the site. Its probably just a technical glitch.  

As for GG being a great site...they are still a great community, I can only hope to one day have as large a community of friends as there. (Other than that stupid f'n Religion and Politics fiasco...that shit should just be shut down for the sake of all mankind)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 05:10:06 AM »

damn, i was just about to email you if you can add a new forum...  P&R...  Politics and Religion
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 05:17:36 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
damn, i was just about to email you if you can add a new forum...  P&R...  Politics and Religion

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the words of H.P. Lovecraft- "Do not bring up that which you cannot put down."

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 12:47:07 PM »

No!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 01:22:22 PM »

Maybe "Gone Gold" finally became just plain "Gone"?

Anyway, sorry to hear that if that's the case, but more likely someone tripped while walking near the power cord.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 01:28:13 PM »

So, can we all stick a fork in GG?

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 03:17:23 PM »

Whoa, Eco, a little out of line.  Many of us are here because of GG.  Many still have a love for what the site and community represents.  And I, for one, don't want to "stick a fork" in something that good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Whoa, Eco, a little out of line.  Many of us are here because of GG.  Many still have a love for what the site and community represents.  And I, for one, don't want to "stick a fork" in something that good.

err, I don't think Eco meant it that way. I think he's just asking if the site is done, and rumor is, it is done. I really hope that's just a rumor, but things look pretty gloomy right now.

I've been suspecting something was wrong for a while, and suggested to a few people that we (GG) should have a backup site, if we didn't want to lose touch.

Here's what we know:

Several high level people have quit, including Andy.

What I hear is that Rich hasn't spoken to anyone in months., including Andy up till he quit, and none of the other mods either.

I really think something is pretty bad wrong with Rich. I don't just mean physically. I think he might be in some sort of deep depression or something. This is so unlike him.

(edited)

All just speculation at this point, and I hope proves to be just a silly rumor, but I do feel the site's days are numbered.

Rich *isn't* coming back, I think that's pretty clear at this point. He's been a no-show for basically 2 years now.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 03:42:30 PM »

That would be sad but not unexpected.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 03:47:00 PM »

That would truly be unfortunate....

I contacted Rich awhile ago (through Andy) with an offer of financial support, and could extend that to hosting.  I'd hate to see the site go the way of the dodo, if only because I really enjoy talking and getting the perspective on things that everyone has, from games and life in general all the way through to the dreaded R&P forum smile (good to see ya here Eco smile  )

If anyone is interested, the offer still stands.  I'd be happy to get my folks working on getting the forums back up and then rebuilding form the inside out, as it were.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 03:57:10 PM »

Good to see you as well Geezer smile

For the record Jeff Jones is absolutely right, I didn't mean what I said above bad at all.  I really hope GG doesn't go under.  I have over 6,000 posts there and it's the best community I've ever been a part of on the net.  I wish for the best for everyone at GG and hope Rich continues to recover.  

With that said, I think see no reason why CG can't be the means for everyone at GG to keep in touch.  There are already 217 members here, many of which came from GG anyway.  

Take care.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
malchior
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 04:01:03 PM »

Even if the plug wasn't pulled, this is almost the same thing.  

It went down mid-afternoon yesterday.  It looks like the server that is hosting the site is hosed right now.  It responds to pings after 4 or 5 seconds.  That implies a huge load on the CPU.  But who will respond to it?  Stephen has been upgrading to the new forums for a year now.  I know he wasn't paid, but it's silly to expect things to work when the people who can do stuff just don't care to.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2004, 04:16:54 PM »

Quote from: "malchior"
Even if the plug wasn't pulled, this is almost the same thing.  

It went down mid-afternoon yesterday.  It looks like the server that is hosting the site is hosed right now.  It responds to pings after 4 or 5 seconds.  That implies a huge load on the CPU.  But who will respond to it?  Stephen has been upgrading to the new forums for a year now.  I know he wasn't paid, but it's silly to expect things to work when the people who can do stuff just don't care to.

I honestly don't know what kind of bandwidth GG uses, and hell -- I don't even know who I'd talk to, but I just checked -- I've got about 300GB of transfer monthly over ar Rackshack just sitting there, and numerous other locations that I could spread the load around at essentially no cost (since this is all unused but paid for bandwidth).  If someone wants to get the word out to ... whomever.. I can have my admin port it over with no problem.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2004, 04:29:43 PM »

If it is gone - I miss it already  :cry:

There isn't nearly enough hockey talk in here!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 04:29:56 PM »

I checked out the whois on gonegold.com.  The technical support was listed as Everyone's Internet.  Since they're here in Houston, I gave them a call.  They told me the account was cancelled on the 5th of October.

So either Rich is changing hosts or Gonegold is gone.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 04:39:26 PM »

Damn.

omgz
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2004, 04:39:50 PM »

Has anyone checked out the crew in IRC to see if they know anything?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2004, 04:40:27 PM »

We know nothing about the situation.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 04:45:14 PM »

Well, I'll just say a few things here real quick:

As a long time Gone Gold reader myself and somebody with several thousand posts I'd miss it if it was all over.  Having said that, running a site is not as easy as it might seem.  There are some very taxing demands on a person that can really wear you down.  When you realize that you have to update or you are letting down several thousand people its a good motivator.  When you are too sick to update, its a curse.  I could see it if he made a choice to end it rather than risk his health.  

As for the community, I'm not going to vulture around and try to get you guys to come here.  I tried to get people to do things in the past and it blew up in my face, badly.  I learned a lot in those early days and I know better now.  If you guys want to come here, you are welcome.  We'll open whatever is necessary to facilitate the needs of the community.  (you can even bring all the hockey talk!)  If not, that's just fine too.  We are just starting to grow our community and there are a ton of new and exciting things that I know we can do with enough time.  I hope you'll all stick around to see that, but more than anything I'd just like to hear from Rich.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ertic33
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2004, 04:47:30 PM »

I have been a Gone Gold member for a little over two years.

I really hope it isn't gone as it was the only forum I visited and posted on.

I enjoyed a lot of the conversations there and would hate to lose contact with the people there.

Ertic
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2004, 04:53:15 PM »

If we move here, can we post boobs and maybe a little muff in a few extreme cases?

omgz
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2004, 04:54:02 PM »

Yeah!!

When's the Hockey Section opening up in here? I say we break it down by divisions and then teams. I can see it now, the Atlanta Thrashers forum page all abuzz with talk of what to do with the 6th pick in the draft!!  :lol:

Everyone from GG better get there asses over here!!! :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Mad Hatter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2004, 04:54:58 PM »

Quote from: "Ertic33"
I have been a Gone Gold member for a little over two years.

I really hope it isn't gone as it was the only forum I visited and posted on.

I enjoyed a lot of the conversations there and would hate to lose contact with the people there.

Ertic

Agreed, it's the only forum I've used since I abandoned the dying Usenet groups. This illustrates one of the advantages of newsgroups - they may be dying but they never quite fade away. These forums can just go poof at any time, five years of community building notwithstanding.

That said, hello to Console Gold, which I've visited occasionally but never checked into the forums.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2004, 04:55:52 PM »

Wow, that would really suck if GG was, well, gone. Like Ertic, it was really the only site I posted regularly on. What is there now to distract me from work? Where will I be able to see the Republican viewpoint? Where else can I read interesting and educational posts and at the same time see references to goatse and tub girl? Tis a sad day if GG is no more.  frown
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2004, 05:02:18 PM »

A sad day indeed. I so hope this is just a false alarm...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 05:04:19 PM »

If gone gold is in fact gone then I am truely sad. It seems weird that the plug would be pulled without telling anyone, so I have hopes that it's just technical.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2004, 05:05:48 PM »

Also, if it is gone, can we get a PC specific forum out of respect?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 05:06:24 PM »

I think Rich just got bored with doing Gone Gold. I don't think it has anything to do with his health.

I would be sad if GG died. frown
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 05:09:12 PM »

Hola everyone!

This is my first post here. Yeah... I'm a refugee from GoneGold. I've not been able to access the site since yesterday afternoon. Could this be the end? I'm worried after reading Hrotgar's post.

What gets me is why didn't Rich make some sort of announcement? Why has he turned away offer after offer of help?  :?
Ramoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2004, 05:19:10 PM »

Looks like I'm another refugee.

I would be sad if GG died.

Same here.  Even if most GG'ers move to CG, it won't be the same.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2004, 05:21:41 PM »

frown
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2004, 05:28:44 PM »

Wow, this is not good.  You think there would have at least been a warning from someone (a mod or admin, perhaps) that this was going to happen and give people a chance to head here, or elsewhere.

I wonder if this means the death of the GG NFL 2K5 pick'em...

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »

Quote from: "Scraper"
Also, if it is gone, can we get a PC specific forum out of respect?

According to AgtFox (in IRC) and KD's post here, they will accomodate by whatever means necessary.

Thanks to AgtFox and KD for the official invite.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2004, 05:33:03 PM »

Another refugee from Gone Gold here.  As slow as the site has been running the past week I was wondering this was going to happen.

I would like to throw in a vote as well to the good guys here at ConsoleGold to put up some PC fourm spots for us.

I do play PS2 but am a PC gamer at heart.  This site does seem great though and will start coming here for my gold fix.

Regards,
Pig
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2004, 05:33:18 PM »

I'm here because of GG, but my involvement there has decreased considerably, not that I have posted a whole lot there.  Let's face it, GG was dying a long, slow death.  Even the forum was losing people and civility that it once had.

Don't think that I'm saying it with any glee.  I honestly think that it's too bad that GG might be gone, but I think that the writing was on the wall for a while.

Edit: I think it would be great to get more people to come here.  There has been talks about a PC forum in the past, but we felt that it might have felt like a slap in the face to the GG forum.  I'm sure that KD will put one up if GG is dead.  We are all gamers here, and we all enjoy good discussion on them.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2004, 05:37:05 PM »

Wow, I hope that all these rumors aren't true.  But my cynical side thinks that they may be.  I've been posting on GG since March '02 and would hate to see it go.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2004, 05:38:52 PM »

Hi folks,

Another refugee (handle of Cygalis on GG). Good to see everyone here. I never posted all that much (five or six hundred over a couple of years) but GG was always where I went to feel like I was chatting with friends. Could just be a tech glitch, though the account cancellation sounds ominous. Either way, now I've got an Xbox the bouncer let me in smile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: