http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 05:14:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else having problems with Gone Gold? (Pt. 2)  (Read 38040 times)
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2004, 10:05:37 PM »

Quote from: "Siljanus"

Sounds like good advice, "Meal".  In fact, the advice sounds a bit too good...

I'm getting questioned in every thread!  Good.  Sounds like all my support for the Scientifc Method has finally paid off.  As long as people realize that I'm merely the *theory* of The Meal (or even earlier, only a hypothesis of The Meal), then I've got them thinking with a critical eye.

I haven't said it publically, but I've thought it many times in the past 24 hours.  Major thanks to Ron and the rest of the CG gang for dealing with all of this so well.  You can't be thanked enough for putting up with all the transplants, although I'm sure there is some small part of you that is (JUSTIFYABLY!) proud to realize that many more people are going to discover what a tremendous site you've put together.  Thanks guys.

And as a bit of a side note, I'm very warmed to hear that these boards are run with a One True Authority Figure calling the shots.  Part of me is sad to think that I won't be able to volunteer my time on a site that I care about so much (and that has done SO MUCH for me in return), but there's a bit of guilty pleasure knowing that I won't have to deal with what could at (inopportune) times become life-altering burdens.  I've had many more smiles plastered on my face from my experiences with the GG Forums (and site as a whole) than I've had sleepless nights, but I can't say that I'm not happy to think that the number of agonizing situations is going to decline in my future.  Thanks to the CG staff for putting themselves in a position to make this place great for The Gang.

~The Meal
Edit: had quote attributions screwed up.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »

I was never popular enough to have someone steal my name, so you can rest assured that this is me.

I'm a bit of a finger pointer, and in this case, I'd like to point at the IRC crowd.  They seem to get kicks out of stealing names.  But whatever, no point arguing.

On the other hand, it's great to see that so many GGers are showing up here.  You know GG was/is something special when everyone sticks together when their forum of choice suddenly vanishes.  It's a huge, freakishly dysfunctional family.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2004, 10:21:06 PM »

Quote from: "The Meal"
 I've had many more smiles plastered on my face from my experiences with the GG Forums (and site as a whole) than I've had sleepless nights, but I can't say that I'm not happy to think that the number of agonizing situations is going to decline in my future.  

I can imagine, especially in the last 6 or so months of moderating in Gone Gold.  Enjoy your time as one of the common masses, Meal.  You served your time and served it well as a mod.

On that note...

Does anyone have that pic?  You know the one I'm talking about... :wink:

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2004, 10:24:31 PM »

Yeah, those IRC scoundrels stole my name once. (glances around suspiciously)

Have anyone tried the "official" CG board theme (go to Profile, and go to the bottom and change theme to Cobalt 2.0)? Does anyone think it's incredibly hard on the eyes to read for any length of time using that theme?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2004, 10:44:58 PM »

So is GG perm dead? If so its not like it was unexpected to me. I am really mad at Rich. He shoulda done something and if he was'nt able to then had someone else do it. Id been wondering if he'd just let the domain die.

Anyone else thought about picking it up? I really miss that forum. And I had hoped to do more trading.

Is this CG forum going to be our new home? Im kinda lost without GG to visit every few minutes.  frown Besides I had nearly made the 10000 posts mark!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2004, 11:09:36 PM »

I'm sure my name's under everyone's radar, so nobody would steal it, but just in case:

<--- Check it out!  I'm an old crank!   biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2004, 11:09:45 PM »

Raven, that is still a beta template.  Mike is still working on the details on that... smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2004, 11:37:10 PM »

All you newbies are kinda sad.  This forum has been here for months, you know? smile
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2004, 11:43:28 PM »

Woohoooo! Big ups to KD. He got my original name to work. Thanks a bunch!

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2004, 11:52:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
All you newbies are kinda sad.  This forum has been here for months, you know? smile

I know.  Silly newbies.

What?  Me too?
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2004, 11:53:46 PM »

All you newbies are kinda sad. This forum has been here for months, you know?

Yes, but many of us don't own consoles :wink:

I used to say that the day they can do Civ II on a console is the day I buy one. I've amended that to the day they do Rome:Total War (now replacing Civ as the bestest game ever).

This is not to disparage the staff or membership here in the least.  Everyone has been great in welcoming the GG "boat people", and we appreciate it.

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2004, 11:57:43 PM »

The longer this continues with no word from TPTB, the more upset I become.  I can understand Rich having to shut things down due to his physical/mental condition.  I can't understand doing so without a final "farewell to the troops" and a wave from Tiny Fuzz.

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
DPW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2004, 12:22:12 AM »

I was hoping when I got back from belt shopping it would be back.

It wasn't. :cry:

At least I got a new belt out of the deal.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2004, 12:27:29 AM »

Quote from: "HarveyB"
The longer this continues with no word from TPTB, the more upset I become.  I can understand Rich having to shut things down due to his physical/mental condition.  I can't understand doing so without a final "farewell to the troops" and a wave from Tiny Fuzz.

Mary Jo would post occasionally to update us on Rich if need be. It seems really odd to just shut down with nothing said to anyone. Either this is all a huge mistake/tech problem or maybe Rich said screw it and wanted to cut all ties with the site.

Other people have mentioned (wasn't Rob Merritt one of them) that Rich kind of freaked at the idea of anyone else taking over GG. There was a thread about this on QTR a few months back that made it sound like Rich was less than pleasent over the idea.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2004, 12:31:07 AM »

How many people have registered since Friday?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
GreenGoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2004, 12:33:26 AM »

Another GG'r wondering what is up.  Been lurking here and at a-vault the last 2 days.

Been a GG'r since 2000.  This is most unsettling.  Not knowing the facts is the toughest part I think.

Oh yeah, Ardent, if you read this and didn't catch my post at GG, here's a link to 2 Orkz (me) vs Marines (Harder AI) on Outer Reaches.

Orkz vs Marines on Outer Reaches

I've tried about 3 times tonight to do the same thing on Insane but I haven't been able to yet.[/url]

The Goo formerly known as AHardPlace
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2004, 12:33:50 AM »

Could it be that Rich may be having financial difficulties, god knows his health care cannot be cheap, and we do suck up alot of bandwidth.  We all know what a proud man Rich is, I would hope he would ask for help, but  maybe this is just a money problem that we all have had one time or another.

If Gone Gold is gone, I would really like to express my deepest thanks to Rich for creating and maintaining a truly wonderful and unique internet oasis. It will be a great loss if it is truly gone.

I would also like to thank Console gold for putting out the welcome mat to all us homeless knuckleheads.  Tongue
Mudfrost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2004, 12:42:29 AM »

Well said, TC. Whatever the case may be, it was Rich who brought it all together and gave us a great neighborhood bar to hang out in.

I'd also like to add my thanks to the crew here at CG.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2004, 12:53:04 AM »

Yea what T.C. said.  biggrin

Scott
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2004, 12:58:20 AM »

I'm glad I found everyone.

Console Gold - Thanks for the welcome!
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2004, 01:01:04 AM »

Now...I have never met Rich - only ever exchanged e-mails with him a number of times. But based on what I know about him, it doesn't seem in his character to just pull the plug and walk away.

Granted, things might have changed in his life over the past year or so while he wasn't around very much, but still, I do find it hard to believe that he'd just walk away from the community he created.

With that said, as more time passes without anyone knowing details or the Chief surfacing somewhere with some type of message for the community....I'm not left with a good feeling about it all. Perhaps Rich really is in "a bad place" mentally, and didn't want to host GG anymore.

By not updating the site and even going so far as to chang the front man for a while, maybe he felt the community at large would just die off. But we didn't. Gone Gold didn't wither and die (as some have suggested) so at that point, I guess you'd have kill it all at once? I don't know.

I'm thankful for the time we all had there and very thankful to the CGers for allowing us to resurface here and try to get our bearings.

I hope Rich and his family are ok and that we can hear from him soon.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2004, 01:19:29 AM »

So who have we not seen around here?  Who needs an email to lure them to ConsoleGold?

Drazzil is here.
Chris Grenard?
Blackhawk?
How about the "J"'s: jblank, jshaw?
Are all the Raven's here?
All the Lord's?
Eliot?
Rhett?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2004, 01:25:26 AM »

Blackhawk is here and so is jblank.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2004, 01:25:38 AM »

Hell I've been on here almost since the redesign and it still took me two days to think to come and check for news about GG here.  Oh well...I'm sure someone will let us know eventually...even if it is just a good bye and thanks for all of the fish message.
WW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2004, 01:26:45 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
So who have we not seen around here?  Who needs an email to lure them to ConsoleGold?

Drazzil is here.
Chris Grenard?
Blackhawk?
All the Lord's?
Eliot?
Rhett?

No K. Chang WTF will we do without his threads.  :wink: Not sure if the real jblank is here.

I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe
 WW
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2004, 01:33:25 AM »

I already emailed Eliot sometime this a.m. - we had a trade concluding & I needed to email him anyway, so I added the FYI on both the possible bad news & to head over here to Console G for an update.  So at some point he should show.

Let me also add a sincere THANK YOU to the Console G crew for rolling out the welcome mat for all of us for what may now shape up to be a long visit... A welcome just like the Europeans gave when the first Viking longboat showed up over the horizon...  (or substitute an Indian/Pilgrim reference if you prefer). Either way, it all worked out great for the Natives. Just great. Trust me.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2004, 01:49:42 AM »

Anybody seen Yellowking?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2004, 02:02:55 AM »

Yeah, saw him in this thread.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2004, 02:04:38 AM »

Drazzil is here.
Chris Grenard?
Blackhawk?
All the Lord's?
Eliot?
Rhett?
I want to know where lorax is.  Not to wave him over and invite him in, but rather to insure he never finds this place.

U2K would be a fun addition, though.  Unless you seriously were him, warning.

What about Ironrod?  Haven't seen him about.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2004, 02:07:14 AM »

Quote from: "TC Weidner"
Could it be that Rich may be having financial difficulties, god knows his health care cannot be cheap, and we do suck up alot of bandwidth.  We all know what a proud man Rich is, I would hope he would ask for help, but  maybe this is just a money problem that we all have had one time or another.

I don't think that was a major issue.  The site was, as far as I know, in fairly decent equlibrium between ad revenue and costs.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2004, 02:10:11 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
Anybody seen Yellowking?

Or Grundbegriff?

I know Jeff Vitous can be found at the Wargamer.
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2004, 02:17:23 AM »

Hi all.  Sad to see GG apparently gone. frown  Happy to see we have a backup plan. smile

- VegasD
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2004, 02:24:16 AM »

Need some books burned?

I have a Odessy 2, Coleco Vision with Atari 2600 adapter, Atari 5200, Nintendo , and a Super Nintendo.  Does this entiltle me to be on Console Gold?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2004, 02:27:11 AM »

Welcome fireman.  Yea, but if you had an ET cartridge to toss into the fire (or a landfill) you'd be in quicker. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2004, 02:39:26 AM »

how about kiam and kael? those guys make me  :lol:
durwoodx
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2004, 02:49:23 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Drazzil is here.
Chris Grenard?
Blackhawk?
All the Lord's?
Eliot?
Rhett?
I want to know where lorax is.  Not to wave him over and invite him in, but rather to insure he never finds this place.

U2K would be a fun addition, though.  Unless you seriously were him, warning.

What about Ironrod?  Haven't seen him about.

Yeah....and Dolphan!

What would it take to lure him in here?

Someone make sure he hears about it somehow, k?  :lol:

Gaming Addict and Proud!
Jeremy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2004, 03:20:20 AM »

Ah, here you all are.

Funny how really empty that Internet thing seemed to get once GG was no longer around. Hopefully it's not gone for good.

Thanks to Mr. Morton for his help locating this refugee camp.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2004, 03:24:22 AM »

OK, we've got Triggercut, TScott, Morton and Capt. Caveman. That should ensure that I find out about every single decent album thatever gets released. I tried to calculate how much money I've spent on Triggercut's recommendations alone, and it was depressing. You owe me some serious money, man. I still wish Rumpy and Kelric show up to keep me informed about all things Celtic.

I hate to say it, but seeing most of the familiar faces checking in takes some of the sting about losing Gone Gold, if in fact it really is lost. I never thought I'd find a community where I could spend almost three years and 3500 posts, but CG is looking like a good second home. I was truly worried that I'd have nothing left to do at work except doing work, but these forums will keep me from becoming needlessly productive. Now I just have to convince the wife that I really do need that PS2.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2004, 03:27:00 AM »

I was lost, but now I'm found...was blind, but now I see...
You don't....have...to live like a refugee.

Amazing how much less the internet meant without my GG buddies.

My sign from GG has been modified in remembrance.  frown

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
warning

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2004, 03:27:18 AM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"

Or Grundbegriff?

He's been here.  Over in the Game Trading section.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: