http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 09:57:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else having problems with Gone Gold? (Pt. 2)  (Read 37556 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2004, 11:02:12 AM »

The original thread (you can find it here) go to be 13 pages, so I figured I'd start a new one.  You can continue your discussions here.  Thanks much.

I can do a cover-all of what is known:

1. Hrothgar called the hosting site, who said the account got cancelled on Oct. 5th

2. No one has contacted Rich and we are all conjecturing exactly what is up with GG

3. The GG mods have no idea what went on

I think that about catches people up, unless there is something important I missed.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 11:23:44 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I think that about catches people up, unless there is something important I missed.

4. The CG staff rocks.

5. Console gaming is dying; PC gaming is strong.  Welcome to Bizzarro World.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 11:38:28 AM »

Ye Olde Farte
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 11:51:38 AM »

Another big thank you to ConsoleGold for this Gonegold refugee!

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 12:15:59 PM »

So after Andy left, it was just the mods? With no contact between them or Rich? Basically a board waiting to die, since there was no site admin to fix whatever might go wrong?

And without any warning from Rich that this might possibly happen?

Or any final words from Andy?

Damn, this story is more pathetic than the fat lady who grew into her chair.
Mudfrost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 12:22:34 PM »

:shock:  - GG is borked
 frown
 :roll:  - checking around for things to do
 :idea:
 :mrgreen:  - settle in with CG mates
Peacedog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 12:24:25 PM »

1) Andy never left.  he just stopped doing the gold guide.  That's slated to start back up again, though.

2) No updates that I am aware of.  I'm going to be gone all day into the early evening.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 12:30:11 PM »

Wow, look at all the newbies.  Tongue

Hopefully things will get straightened out.  I hated to see GG in such a neglected state.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 12:35:28 PM »

Cmon, give me a cyber hug  frown
Orinoco Womble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 12:35:39 PM »

Synco said in the other thread:

"Shhhhhhs, just dont tell Eldergamer we all moved here"

Didn't he say that he's been banned from many forums (fori?) and that they all crashed afterwards....  :!:

I'm just wombling free...
Orinoco Womble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 12:38:23 PM »

Oh, and I can't resist this one...

I'm Brian, and so's my wife!!  :twisted:

msduncanout
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 12:38:35 PM »

This forum is too placid and quiet.  Let's see what we can do to liven this place up...

*Retreats into shadows, pulls pin from grenade..."

Democrats are evil, child-killing demonspawn who should all be executed for treason.  Discuss smile

*Throws grenade, runs back into shadows*

"I am OUTRAGED!"
Orinoco Womble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 12:44:14 PM »

msduncan will be the first GGer to be banned from CG... discuss  Tongue

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 12:45:59 PM »

Tals saying hi to the other GG regulars  biggrin

I hope that if GG has gonre, the actual forums can be resurrected elsewhere - loads of useful stuff - particularly liked the RTW thread that had been developing.

Tals

p.s Avault forums have a thread as well - albeit a whole lot smaller - but its a more PC releated hang out smile

http://forums.avault.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006006

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 12:46:26 PM »

Yet another refugee here...formerly 3-2 Count, proud member of the Church of Baseball.

What a bummer...not only is our OOTP league apparently on hold (as our league forums were there), but we lost a great place to hang out.  frown
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 12:47:59 PM »

MSD,
I thought Bush did fairly well last night.
Could've done better, but still not too bad.

dbt,
Thanbks for the clarification....I always thought it was Hog'seye, not Hogeye
 :lol:

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 12:49:26 PM »

A full 24 hours and still nothing? No word yet? Anyone know about that Stephen Sanders guy? Wasn't he like the tech guy? Shall I ask more questions? Do you like Gladiator movies? Ever been in a cockpit?
Andy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 01:05:15 PM »

here's what I know:

1. I have not left Gone Gold. I was away from home and without Internet access for ten days in September - the longest I have been away since I became involved with the site.

2. We've been having server issues for a while - primarily with @gonegold.com email accounts, but my ability to access the server to update the main page was also affected.

3. there is no third point!

4. I do not know why the site is currently off the air. I am in Australia and my only contact with other people involved in maintaining the site is via email. nobody has told me anything.

5. aside from "technical difficulties" I know of two possible reasons the site might have been taken off the air, but I'm not prepared to disclose details until I have confirmation and authority from Rich or Mary Jo to do so.

6. I am unaware of any recent change in Rich's health.
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2004, 01:07:27 PM »

Geez. I go to take a leak and when I look up everyone was gone! Took me a day to find you guys.  biggrin

Not to bring the room down, but considering there's been no word from Rich I hope the cancellation of the account isn't tied to his health problems.

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2004, 01:10:46 PM »

Quote from: "Tals"

I hope that if GG has gonre, the actual forums can be resurrected elsewhere - loads of useful stuff - particularly liked the RTW thread that had been developing.

Tals

p.s Avault forums have a thread as well - albeit a whole lot smaller - but its a more PC releated hang out smile

Hmmm...  Interesting to see that DS was banned from GG. Not surprising mind you, just interesting.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2004, 01:14:30 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2004, 01:15:11 PM »

Quote from: "Andy"
here's what I know:

5. aside from "technical difficulties" I know of two possible reasons the site might have been taken off the air, but I'm not prepared to disclose details until I have confirmation and authority from Rich or Mary Jo to do so.

Would either of these two reasons have required the plug to be pulled with no advance warning?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2004, 01:18:10 PM »

Quote from: "Poleaxe"

Tals

Hmmm...  Interesting to see that DS was banned from GG. Not surprising mind you, just interesting.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I didn't realise that he was banned, but I am not suprised at all.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Andy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2004, 01:19:07 PM »

Would either of these two reasons have required the plug to be pulled with no advance warning?

they wouldn't require it (or justify it IMHO), but they might explain it.
Quipp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2004, 01:21:15 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
This forum is too placid and quiet.  Let's see what we can do to liven this place up...

*Retreats into shadows, pulls pin from grenade..."

Democrats are evil, child-killing demonspawn who should all be executed for treason.  Discuss smile

*Throws grenade, runs back into shadows*

*Looks at grenade, sees it's a rutabaga*
*shrugs, and walk away* Tongue
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2004, 01:22:48 PM »

Off topic a bit- DS is a freakin' twit. I refrained from stating my opinion over at GG, but after reading that post of his, I cannot resist. Sorry.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2004, 01:50:29 PM »

Thanks for the update, Andy  :!:
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2004, 01:50:51 PM »

Tals

p.s Avault forums have a thread as well - albeit a whole lot smaller - but its a

All knowledge is not lost! (RTW info found here!)

http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1166

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2004, 01:53:19 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Tals

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I didn't realise that he was banned, but I am not suprised at all.

Me neither, but it took 'em long enough to do it. I don't know that he would get more than a single click on "Submit" to create his user ID here before he'd be banned. biggrin Go figure.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2004, 01:54:50 PM »

wow -- everyone is still here and the party is growing...

I dunno about some of the old GG R&P'ers, but I'd love rto discuss the dabate and other things of consequence.  I have no desire to pull people away from the CG site - everyone here has been EXTREMELY welcoming, but I kinda gotta agree with Fed & Ebonstone and say the last thing we should do is ask CG to accomodate us rather than vice-versa.

Therefore, if GG is not resolved by monday, I'll begin putting up a specifically R&P forum using some of my bandwidth.. Maybe I can get the GG R&P archives or something, or maybe the CG staff would link it in.. Who knows..

Anyway, out of deference to the peple that view the R&P stuff as a "cesspool" and a "disaster" (to name but two more colorful descriptions) I'll refrain from anything else in that vein for now...

Carry on..

PS my own pet theory is that this may be the prelude to a grand re-opening of GG.  Seems unlike Rich (or anyone) to just "pull the plug" on something that has been so much a part of their lives for so long.  Consider:

For months, mods have been alluding to "behind the scenes improvements:

For a YEAR the forum software has needed serious updating

For more than that Rich has been popping in occasionally to say he wasnts to come back.

Bill recently left.

SO.. It's not inconceivable that all ofthese things are coming together and the powers that be want to surprise the community with a grand re-launching with new (or "new old") staff and as we speak are clapping hands gleefully at our confusion (and being reinforced that we care about GG at the same time) while they make the final massive content/technical change..

Damn.. my tinfoil hat fell off.  where was I?  OH.. nevermind.. but hope springs eternal smile
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2004, 01:56:32 PM »

So DS was banned. Could he have used the power of the Dark Side to get the plug pulled?

This is starting to look worse and worse.  If it was a technical issue, I would think we would have heard from Stephen by now indicating he was aware/working on the problem.

I can't imagine Rich would pull the plug without  notifying at least Andy/the Mods, but I suppose anything is possible.

Looks like we may have a new home.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2004, 02:04:41 PM »

Well, I for one sure hope GG comes back stronger than ever... I don't know what  to do with myself when I can't get to those forums!
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2004, 02:09:44 PM »

Quote from: "Geezer"

I dunno about some of the old GG R&P'ers, but I'd love rto discuss the dabate and other things of consequence.  I have no desire to pull people away from the CG site - everyone here has been EXTREMELY welcoming, but I kinda gotta agree with Fed & Ebonstone and say the last thing we should do is ask CG to accomodate us rather than vice-versa.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't jonesing to smack around some liberals.  Tongue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2004, 02:12:35 PM »

Quote from: "Orinoco Womble"
Synco said in the other thread:

"Shhhhhhs, just dont tell Eldergamer we all moved here"

Didn't he say that he's been banned from many forums (fori?) and that they all crashed afterwards....  :!:

Yes.  Yes he did.

/cue Twilight Zone music

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2004, 02:19:26 PM »

I found Drazzil Tongue

He's hanging out on the Quarter to Three forums, wondering what happened, but for some reason I couldn't register.  Does someone want to head over and lead the lost little lamb back to the flock?

malchior
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2004, 02:26:55 PM »

Quote from: "HarveyB"
I found Drazzil Tongue

He's hanging out on the Quarter to Three forums, wondering what happened, but for some reason I couldn't register.  Does someone want to head over and lead the lost little lamb back to the flock?

Or at least send him a sopina. slywink
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2004, 02:28:28 PM »

I would be lying if I said I wasn't jonesing to smack around some liberals.  Tongue

There are threads up at Mr. Fed/Natureboy/Guido the Killer Pimp/RunningMn9 (and someone else's) excellent site, Popehat, discussing what to do about religion and politics and about the debates.  Some of the heaviest hitters right and left from the Argument Clinic have weighed in.

The situation as I see it:

1) We're not sure where to go to have those discussions.  Honestly, I like the idea that someone posted on page 1 of this thread of a small r & p forum either as an adjunct to this site or independently, with perhaps just a sticky here saying "Go to this site for arguments about forbidden topics.  It's not consolegold and we don't take responsibility, but there are former GG regulars there ready and willing to discuss religion and politics, using the same names they use here."  I like the idea enough that I'd be willing to put a small amount of money into it.

This assumes that gonegold will not be coming back.

2) For now I'm just happy to be able to talk about my addiction to politics with some of the more stimulating disputants of R & P. Enough, Muad Dib, Grundbegriff, Exodor, and MSDuncan have all been seen at popehat.  The people who maintain that site are, as many of you know better than I do, sharp as tacks.

3) Popehat's forums are endearingly primitive.

4) I have misjudged snopes.com's forums.

5) Scott Duncan is less than a man because he refuses to face me in ESPN NFL2K5.

RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2004, 02:40:57 PM »

I dunno about some of the old GG R&P'ers, but I'd love rto discuss the dabate and other things of consequence.

If you want, the folks over at PopeHat probably wouldn't mind you discussing whatever you like there.  I understand CG wanting to keep R&P out of here, that's cool.  But PopeHat can accomodate.  And you can read 800 posts a day from TheNatureBoy (ezra) on whatever flits through his mind on any given day.

Currently it's a blog site for Mr.Fed and TheNatureBoy - and ALLEGEDLY for GuidoTKP, Smoove_B and myself (although we haven't located the "Post" button in a while smile).  But they're good people and could use some company.
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2004, 02:46:24 PM »

Quote from: "malchior"
Quote from: "HarveyB"
I found Drazzil Tongue

Or at least send him a sopina. slywink

Or maybe there's a way to place an electronic trail of crab legs.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2004, 02:55:57 PM »

Maybe the leader of the Black Panthers can give him a call and let him know!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: