http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 04:39:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else a "sodaholic"?  (Read 2561 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »

The first step to a problem is admitting it right? While not really a 'bad' problem, I usually on average drink 4-6 cans of pepsi per day. (First choice RC Cola then Pepsi and as a last resort, Coke.) Been drinking tons of soda since I was a little kid every day of my life.

Finally I thought a few days ago, let me just stop drinking soda, at least for a while. I knew it wasn't going to be permanent but I wanted to see how long I could go.
I got a couple gallons of ice tea along with some orange and grape drink to hold me over.
I thought I was out of soda completely, until today, I saw it. A can of pepsi in the pantry that I had forgotten about.
It was just sitting there, drawing me in. The past two days haven't been hard really, but when for the past 20 years you've been drinking soda every single day (literally) of your life, it's a weird feeling.
I left the pepsi alone but the thought of it just "being there" kept getting to me. Finally I figured what the hell and went over, got a cup with ice, filled it up with pepsi and enjoyed an ice-cold pepsi, fuzz and all! It tasted great, all the way from the warm fuzz at the top to the ice cold pepsi underneath, it was like tasting heaven.
Now I know pepsi and I are destined to a shared future for the rest of my life and I'll never leave it behind again!

So all in all I went 3 days without drinking any soda.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 02:35:26 PM »

I was, but now I am not.

I have delveloped some type of condition that causes cysts to form in various places (groin area, under-arm area) when I consume any relevant quantity of suger. Been to a few doctors and none can tell me why this is happening, just that I should stop consuming suger since that seems to be causing the problem (no duh. and I paid you for this advice?). They did blood work and found nothing and I recently had some more blood work done by my insurance company when we reworked our life insurace policy. Nothing seems wrong there.

So I went from drinking 3+ cokes a day down to 0 and have been for the past few years. I do have a Diet Coke on ocassion, but I try to stay away from them also due to the aspartame.

I am glad that I did even though I had a medical reason to. Lost a lot of weight just from that move alone.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 02:37:40 PM »

I heard that soda raises a chance of throat cancer in men like 75% or something like that due to the amount of carbonation.  I USED to be a soda holic.  I dont drink it at all anymore.  I quit cold turkey.  VERY rarely will i have some orange soda with some vanilla vodka, but mostly I just drink juice now.
RashG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 02:44:25 PM »

Not anymore. I used to drink about 1,5 liters of coke per day. Few weeks ago I went cold turkey and had a couple of days headaches (it triggered a nice migraine, vomiting and stuff). Now I drink mostly tea.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 03:33:31 PM »

College was fun. Average was 9 Cokes a day. biggrin Then had a "crash" and went cold turkey. Had the same migraine for a week but refused to take any Advil in order to teach myself a lesson. Sadly, it didn't take for good but the plus side is that I only drink two to three Dr. Peppers a day, which actually is worse for you than Cokes are. On the other hand, I know when my body has reached its limit now and stop so at least there is that. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 04:08:12 PM »

I have almost completely cut out soda.  At most I have one sprite a day or an occasional ginger ale.  Soda does nothing but bad things for you, empty calories and tons of sugar.  Try replacing it with water or milk and you will see how much better your body feels.

And those prepackaged iced teas like Nestea or lemonades are just as bad.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 05:19:21 PM »

I live on them and they are killing both my teeth and my kidneys....cavities and kidney stones. But they are cheap and I love them so dont guess Ill stop.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 07:28:47 PM »

From just reading the title, I thought you were saying you were a sodomy addict  :shock:
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 08:11:54 PM »

In early 2003 I lost 40 pounds and part of my diet was eliminating my 3 Cherry Coke a day habit. After I lost the weight I picked up a Cherry Coke, started to drink it and hated it. I have never had one since, and rarely ever drink anything with sugar in it.

I drink Diet Rite Cola when I want a soda. No sugar, sodium or caffeine. Other than that, I drink Diet Ice Botanicals, which are non-carbonated and also have none of the above mentioned stuff either.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 08:16:45 PM »

Can't say I am.  I am the opposite and very rarely drink the stuff.  When I was a kid I used to live on Coke (literally) and somehow that kind of burned out the soda desire in me.   So it is usually water, tea or fruit juice.  Mainly water.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 09:07:20 PM »

I am.  I very rarely drink anything else but diet pop (beer, coffee, tea, and that's about it).  And I consume several cans per day.  I give this argument to people when they ask why I dink so much pop and don't drink water or anything - water tastes like nothing.  It does!  If you could describe the taste of water . . . what would you say?  It tastes like . . . water?

Anyways, I am a "popaholic", yes indeed.  Which brings us to the question - who says pop and who says soda?  I ALWAYS say pop.  And I've heard people that live in the East Coast say soda?  Or isn't that true?  If you split the US straight down the middle I've been to the whole westen part . . . but the most east I've been is Minnesota.  So I'm curious if that's the case.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 04:47:32 AM »

I know drinking too much soda ("pop") can lead to problems but there are far worse things out there like being addicted to drugs, smoking, alcohol,etc.
The way I see it is life is short. Too short. Why should we give up simple pleasures in life when we have such a limited time here anyway? My birthday is in a couple of days and I'm wondering where all these years went.

Depward I'm with you on water. There's just no taste, thus no reason to drink it. At least add some tea mix to it. I tried that flavored water and it was even worse than regular water!
The only time water tastes good is when you're busy physically - back in the police academy I drank tons of water from how much they worked us and it tasted good. Then I started drinking gatorade and poweraide so no more water.

I'm in Florida and I was under the impression only seniors used the term "pop"!  :wink:
I could just imagine someone at mcdonalds or wendys saying "What kind of pop would you like" and the looks it would get.
But "popaholic" sounds better than sodaholic.. If I hear pop I think of music.
Maybe on your side of the country pop is more acceptable.. sounds funny to me but hey more pop to you! It's a good drink and I'm back drinking plenty of it again.

Soda, the fountain of pleasure. What would this country be without Pepsi, Coke, Dr.Pepper and Sprite?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 08:35:43 AM »

I used to drink about 2 liters of soda a day growing up.  Around 6th or 7th grade I gave up soda for Lent.  After that, I never really felt like drinking it very much, and have mainly drank water, as a preference, ever since.  Which, I have noticed, seems strange to many people: I have to go out of my way to refuse other things, since people assume I am just being polite by turning down cola or whatever.

I dont turn down coffee, however, unless it's instant (yuch).
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 11:33:01 AM »

I'm addicted to Diet Coke.  I'll drink at least a can a day and usually more on the weekends.   I used to drink the regular stuff, but now I find it too sweet for me.

Quote from: "depward"

Anyways, I am a "popaholic", yes indeed.  Which brings us to the question - who says pop and who says soda?  I ALWAYS say pop.  And I've heard people that live in the East Coast say soda?  Or isn't that true?  If you split the US straight down the middle I've been to the whole westen part . . . but the most east I've been is Minnesota.  So I'm curious if that's the case.

I used to live in Minnesota and grew up saying "pop".   After I moved to California, I learned to use "soda".  At first, I had referred to it as pop and people gave me a weird look.   Only later did a friend tell me that no one uses the term "pop" out here.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 02:06:28 PM »

I'm done with soda.  smile  I kicked it over the last 4 or so months.  I can't say the addiction doesn't call to me, but so far I'm winning. I was a Diet Pepsi fiend...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 02:40:45 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Colege was fun. Average was 9 Cokes a day. biggrin

Heh, that describes me, except replace Coke with Mountain Dew.  After college I kept on drinking soda all the time.  I had one job where I'd drink 3 or 4 Diet Cokes within the first hour or two of my arriving.  By 11am I'd have the shakes so bad from all the caffeine.

Eventually I switched to various flavors of 7up, but a couple years ago I decided to cut out as much of my soda drinking as I could.  I now only have soda if I'm on the road and they don't have sweet tea.  At home I drink several bottles of Deer Park water a day, and maybe two sweet teas at meals.

I give this argument to people when they ask why I dink so much pop and don't drink water or anything - water tastes like nothing. It does! If you could describe the taste of water . . . what would you say? It tastes like . . . water?

Water does, in fact, have quite a bit of taste, it's just that most folks are so accustomed to thinking that it tastes like nothing.  The reason I drink Deer Park water is because I don't like the taste of our tap water or the filtered water that comes out of our fridge.  If it had no taste whatsoever, I could just drink any old tap water.  Deer Park is also extremely cheap compared to a lot of the other bottled waters, not to mention soda.  I can pick up about 30 20oz bottles for less than $5.  $10-$15 of Deer Park lasts me and my wife over a month.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 02:46:02 PM »

Not quite the same thing, but I kicked the 6 coke a day habit a little over 3 years ago... haven't had caffeine in any way except the rare bite of chocolate since.. I still have the occasional sprite when I can't get decent water (there's some BAD water in the Dallas area) or lemonade.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 03:26:49 PM »

Sugar.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 03:44:22 PM »

wbs can back me up on this, but the term "coke" is the only correct one when referring to carbonated beverages.

Ex: What type of coke do you want? Dr. Pepper.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 04:03:53 PM »

wbs can back me up on this, but the term "coke" is the only correct one when referring to carbonated beverages.

I was stationed in Tx for a while, I can back that up....as lame as it is.

"Can I have a Diet Coke with no ice?"
"What kind?"
"Uh...Large?"
"Right, but what kind?"
"Diet Coke - no ice"
"Uh huh....but what kind of Diet Coke?"
"Um...maybe we got off on the wrong foot...can you put Diet Coke in a glass and bring it to me?"
"What kind of Diet Coke do you want sir?  Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper?  That kind..."
*gets up and points to things - realizes he doesn't speak 'Texan'.  Ends up with a regular Coke with ice*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 04:40:27 PM »

Yeah, if you're from the south "coke" generally refers to any soda.  Like many things about the south, I find this pretty idiotic.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »

I used to drink that stuff like mad, but now I've switched to lemonade (and the diet version at that). 5 calories a can, and it tastes great.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 08:01:42 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I live on them and they are killing both my teeth and my kidneys....cavities and kidney stones. But they are cheap and I love them so dont guess Ill stop.

There's a much cheaper drink that will help with BOTH cavities and kidney stones.  And it has zero calories.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 01:34:40 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Around 6th or 7th grade I gave up soda for Lent.

What does Lent taste like?  biggrin

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 08:01:22 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
Quote from: "unbreakable"
Around 6th or 7th grade I gave up soda for Lent.

What does Lent taste like?  biggrin

A lot like ashes.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 09:19:34 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Which brings us to the question - who says pop and who says soda?  I ALWAYS say pop.  And I've heard people that live in the East Coast say soda?  Or isn't that true?  If you split the US straight down the middle I've been to the whole westen part . . . but the most east I've been is Minnesota.  So I'm curious if that's the case.

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

I love soda. Still do. Used to have 20oz per day. But now down to 20-40 oz a week (basically two bottles a week). You guys who drink 1-2 liters per day are nuts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: