http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:14:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone collect baseball cards? (Ebay link)  (Read 700 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »

Just wanted to show off something I pulled recently. smile

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200105529247&rd=1&rd=1
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »

Very cool.

I used to collect baseball cards. I still have thousands of them in a box at my parent's place.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 11:02:46 PM »

wait, you're selling this? Are you funking stupid?

My brother in law used to be a big Autograph collector for baseball, has some that you would just be amazed at. I believe he had 85% or so of the Negro League at one point... I mean he was big into this. I know if I had found that card I would never sell it, regardless of how much I needed a new PC.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 11:05:10 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 01:41:23 AM »

Tebunker:  I need a new computer and need it soon, so that I can pass mine on to my sister before she goes to college.  The value on the card hasn't changed in nearly five years. 

I'm not even remotely upset at selling the card, even though it's very nice.  Now, were I a Yankees fan or something, sure, I might be upset.  But as it stands?  That card represents either a CPU or a video card. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 01:59:33 AM »

Baseball cards are something I wished I could spend more money on when I was a casual collector (mid-late 80s), but now it's gotten a little out of hand.  Back then you could buy a case for $20 (or was it $40?  Either way, it wasn't a huge sum), and each pack had a lot of cards.  These days you get like 5 cards per pack and every guy has about 10 varieties of rookie cards - you have to buy a whole bunch of sets to wind up with the "real" rookie card that will actually be worth something.

I have fooled around a little bit with eTopps, but I do miss the fun of actually opening a pack and seeing what's inside.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 04:15:18 AM »

Baseball cards have lost so much value since the late 80s/early 90s.  We have boxes and boxes of them at my mom's house that are just gathering dust at the moment.  I would sell them, but right now I would only get a fraction of what I paid for them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 04:18:49 AM by Laner » Logged
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 12:42:17 PM »

You know I do have one question because I know cards in the Early 90's were weird like this, was Score one of the companies that actually had the cards signed? Or did they print the Signature? I remember Pro Line had a signature line for their football cards that were actually signed, but other companies would just print the signature and make it a small run. That card looks like it was truly signed by Joltin Joe DiMaggio. If it is, I would almost consider that an heirloo, and I hate the Yankee's, but you can never get a DiMaggio signature again. Granted there are a ton out their now, but in time they will become more rare. The man holds one of the greatest and most difficult records in baseball...

I would get a second job to buy the computer, and I would put that in safety deposit box so I could pull it out and sit down with my children and grand children and explain to them how great Joe DiMaggio was and how I had his signature on something special.

I really do hop you get a ton of money for it, you definitely could use it, and it sounds like you will be helping your sister as well, but man... Joe DiMaggio...There are very few other sport icons that would make me feel like I need to hold onto their signature forever.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »

Very timely thread.

I was nosing around our neighborhood's annual yard sale this morning and stumbled across someone who was dumping a ton of mint cards.  Three years (Topps '91, '92, Upper Deck '91) and a bunch more in albums.  $30 for the set.  I have no idea how much they're worth.  Worse comes to worse, I can give them to my Father In Law for Christmas presents for the next few years since he has a huge collection.

But no, I wouldn't sell a legitimate signed Joe D card.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 01:31:13 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 11:30:23 PM »

Side note, so you guys do know:

There were a total of 10,000 Joe D autographed cards in 92 Score.  5 cards in the insert series (1-5), 2500 numbered autos of each. 

I'll settle for the fact that I'm a weird person though smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »

Well, I'd also like to add that since there are so many forgeries of his signature out there, to me, it's cool to have one and know it's completely legit. Like I said though, giving your computer to your sister is a cool thing to do, so by all means don't think you're weird for wanting to use the money to build a new PC.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: