http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 09:11:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone a Fan of Boxing?  (Read 730 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:08:45 PM »

I'm a casual boxing fan and I watch it from afar.  I really enjoy Dan Rafael's work on ESPN.com (and on Usatoday before that). Sadly, it seems that ESPN is the only major site that really covers the sweet science.

Anyway, I bring it up cause there is a HUGE fight this weekend: Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Calzaghe.  Any one planning on watching (I won't as I don't have cable) but there's lots of interesting things in play here. B-Hop the legend stepping into the ring with a younger faster more active opponent.  Calzaghe- undefeated and fighting in the US for the first time and moving up in weight..

Good times.

Also, anyone have any theories as to why the sweet science is so out of vogue? Rafael suggests the lack of a unified champion as well as far too many trinket titles.  Thoughts?
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 16, 2008, 01:08:45 PM

Also, anyone have any theories as to why the sweet science is so out of vogue? Rafael suggests the lack of a unified champion as well as far too many trinket titles.  Thoughts?

I'm like you in the casual fan status.  Once a month I try to catch Friday Night Fights on ESPN, but it's quickly losing my interest.  I think the main reason for it's slipping appeal is, at least for the heavyweight division, is the lack of excitement, and for Americans the lack of American contenders.  The real nail came when the Klitschko's reign started.  They were/are very good boxers, but in my opinion really boring to watch.  The top ten is 75% Eastern Europeans.

Also, MMA seems to be en vogue right now, but I don't think it has hurt boxing as much as people think.  It siphons some of the talent who may have gone the route of boxing, however the lack of press coverage means less chance for fame as there was in the past.

Just a little hiccup.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »

I'm a big boxing fan. I record Friday Night Fights every week and now they have Wednesday Night Fights! Yay!

I am toying with getting HBO to watch the fight this weekend, depends how my week plays out.

I found and watched the Cotto/Gomez fight online this week. Was nice seeing Gomez get his ass handed to him. I wish Gatti would have retired after the Mayweather fight instead of lingering on and losing to Gomez as well. That was hard to watch.

The three Gatti/Ward fights were awesome.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »

The Bernard Hopkins fight is on HBO?!

W00t!

Boxing in HD is teh awesome.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »

I used to be a big boxing fan, but that really took a dive during the Tyson reign.  Promoters kept throwing chumps at him just to get PPV knockouts.  I've also seen too much corruption in the sport to keep me as interested as I once was.  There are still a lot of great fighters out there, but without HBO, Showtime, and PPV it's hard to follow your favorite fighters.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »

Huge boxing fan here.  I loved how this weekend played out (getting to watch Chad Dawson before flipping over to the Cintron-Margarito fight, which turned out exactly as I expected.)  I CANNOT wait for the Cotto-Margarito fight in July, which brings me to a question: Tiktok, WHY did you want to see the gomez-cotto matchup? When it was made everyone knew how one-sided it was going to be.  It didn't even look like a sparring session for Cotto it was so unbalanced.  AS for Hopkins-Calzaghe: should be a great tactical fight, watching the sorta awkward all-offense Calzaghe vs the greatest defensive counterpuncher of our era.  Frankly, it could also be a typical Hopkins title-fight: he outboxes his more active opponent, then loses the decision because the judges liked Calzaghe's intensity.  Sadly (as I hate Calzaghe mush more than I hate the Executioner), this is very likely what will happen.

Now, to address ATB question, "why has boxing died?":
Smaller issues - greedy PPV's that stink (aka Tyson,Holyfield, Jones Jr, etc vs Bum of the Week)
Poor or crooked decisions - note, that these are two different issues.  I think there are far fewer 'fixes' than people think, and it's more of a non-unified scoring system that causes problems (ie, one judge may favor punching volume vs heavyhandedness, skills vs energy, etc).  This lack of easy scoring creates an issue where only die-hards can see why a De La Hoya loses to Mosley but Pacquiao wins vs Marquez.  It kind of kills attraction of new fans where you can't rely on what the outcome of your favorite fighter's fight because of the judges. I'm still waiting for someone (like a Teddy Atlas type who groks boxing) to start a database/review of how specific judges score fights.

Biggest Issue:
The fighters themselves.  Here we go:
Fraud Mayweather Jr. keeps thumping his chest about GOAT (great of all time) claim.  Somehow, he has YET to face a single AAA fighter at their natural weight in their prime other than Zab Judah (who was coming off a loss).  His resume?  Beating a shopworn Gotti, an old DLH, a jumped up Hatton (who, as I have pointed out before, had already proven than the mandatory 10oz gloves nullified his fight style), and weight-drained Castillo and Corrales, and the aformentioned Zab after a loss.
Two decades ago?
Sugar Ray Leonard fights seven fights in a twenty month span.  Among those fights: prime benitez (38-01 at the time), prime Duran (71-1), prime Duran (72-1), prime Hearns (32-0).  Four HOF'ers at their natural weight, at their prime.  This doesn't take into consideration the detached retina, the rematch with Hearns, or the showdown with Hagler. 
Five decades ago:
...Do you even want me to list the Hall of fame fights Sugar Ray Robinson had?

This new era of fighter (I blame Roy Jones JR for starting this) has immense talent, but wants to fight an occasional fight every six months against an overmatched opponent, and put it on PPV so they can maximize income with least risk.  A fighter on the other hand, wants to prove he's the best, and will take on anyone who thinks they're 'The Man'.  This is why I LOVE Cotto & Margarito, who clearly have less talent than Mayweather - they are willing to step in with anybody (as evidenced by the fact they will be facing each other soon).  Sadly, Promoters want to tout the Mayweathers of the world; they then wonder why the casual fans who watch a crap-fest like Mayweather-DLH don't come back to see absolute brilliance like the Vasquez-Marquez fights.  This is the primary cause that is KILLING this sport.

Gee, see that after fighting (Sigh) freaking ...Steve...Forbes, DLH will be facing Wayweather again.  No, Mayweather is not facing another top 5er, his reprising his role against the DLH who is 2-3 in his last five fights.  You asked why boxing is dead/dying?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:33:15 PM »

Well said, Big Jake.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »

Yeah that's an interesting take for sure.  Thanks for the input.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »

Oddly, as a kid in the mid 50s they had on boxing during the daytime on Saturdays and I used to love watch it. Not so much of a fan anymore tho.

Ye Olde Farte
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:27 PM »

"Tiktok, WHY did you want to see the gomez-cotto matchup?"

To see Gomez get schooled. He beat up my favorite boxer and it made me sad. I know Gatti wasn't the most skilled fighter ever but damnit I like him. It was bad enough seeing Mayweather beat him, which there was no doubt it was gonna end that way. Watching him get trounced by Gomez was too much.

The loss to Baldomir was respectable. Baldomir has a head made of brick.

Gatti should have retired then. The Gomez fight just hurt my heart to watch.

* tiktokman re-watches the Gatti/Ward Trilogy
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:31 PM »

Just to add...

Great post Jake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: