http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody live in Boulder, CO?  (Read 2420 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:04:58 AM »

Currently awaiting my third interview for a job opportunity there and am curious...  Everything I've read and seen sounds very nice.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:11:11 AM »

All I know is it is a hell of a lot cooler than Houston, so if you want to get out of there then I wish you luck. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 02:24:38 AM »

I lived there/in the area for six years... I'm glad I don't any more.

A lot of really rich, anti-personal freedom yuppie conservatives who think they are liberal, but really just want to tell everyone to be like them.

On a day to day basis, you don't have to deal with it directly really, but there is definitely a big cloud of smug over the place.

The winters are mild, but grey, because snow doesn't stay on the ground, the summers are pretty hot and uncomfortable from my point of view, but some people might like them...  rent is horrendous...

Of course, that doesn't mean it's all bad... Sushi Zanmai is pretty good.  The mountains are beautiful, but you will definitely run into a lot of people if you go up into them.

If you were to decide to move there, I would really recommend looking at housing in Louisville or Lafayette... it'll be cheaper, and they are, in my opinion, much nicer communities with a small town feel, but really close to all of the big places.  After living in Boulder for a while, I lived in Louisville, and much preferred it.  The whole area is getting metropolized, but if you are coming from Houston...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:32:31 AM »

I've never really liked Houston much but couldn't figure out why until I was down there two weekends back. The lack of zoning gives it a schizophrenic feeling to it as there is literally everything scattered about with no thought to organizing. Sure, other towns may be more homogenized by comparison, but give me organization over that any day. It cracked me up how many strip clubs were right next to a Dave & Busters.

Never been to Colorado so this post has just been about me not liking Houston. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 02:40:29 AM »

I've been trying to claw my way out of Houston for YEARS- this place is a hot sticky armpit.

Basically, I'm curious if it'll be a good place to raise my kids, nice weather, good schools, low crime, etc.

The opportunity that has presented itself is VERY nice in terms of money and quality. I'll say more if it looks more likely... biggrin

Mike Dunn
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 02:50:19 AM »

300+ sunny days a year, 80s - 90s in the summer, 20s - 40s in the winter... generally at the higher end... a few big snowstorms every year... a bunch of people from Houston unsuccessfully driving in them. smile

Crime is very low... once in a while the trust fund hippies on the hill burn a couch in the street... that's about it.

I think schools are supposed to be good... we didn't have any kid when we lived there.

Fairly easy access to a major airport... Downtown Denver is 30 minutes away...

Live in Louisville. smile

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Louisville/CO

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Boulder/CO

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:57:48 AM »

Buy a Prius and install solar panels if you go, you should fit right in.

Or I could ask my ex, she's from there, but I'd probably get a lot of descriptions on random people's ceilings.

Just a little hiccup.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:03:50 AM »

Quote from: Hiccup on June 24, 2009, 02:57:48 AM

Or I could ask my ex, she's from there, but I'd probably get a lot of descriptions on random people's ceilings.

I sense some bitterness in this post.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:11 AM »

I lived in Boulder for a year, and I was totally miserable. I moved 30 miles south, to Denver, and had the time of my life.
I think, as Kratz says, you'd be ok living in Louisville or Lafayette or even Longmont or Superior. Boulder, people aside, is a beautiful town, and the mountains right next door are such a treat. There are a lot of parks, too, and if you like biking they are perfect.

Aside from the annoying self-righteous yuppies, you'll have the students to contend with, which can be a PITA. But you ought to visit before you decide, and maybe look up some GTers or (dare I say) OOers to give you a good sense of the town. I'm really bitter about self-righteousness, whereas you may not care at all.

PSN ID: EduardoX
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 03:56:42 AM »

To be honest, I'd happily trade out the die-hard republican elitist Lexus assholes for smug old rich Prius hippy assholes...

Mike Dunn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 04:21:35 AM »

I spend most of my time at work so I may not have the best feedback, but I've lived in the area for a bit over a year and a half.  Not in Boulder specifically, but about 10 miles towards Denver in Broomfield (right near Lousville, Lafayette, etc).  I moved here after about 8 years in the Pacific NW, which I enjoyed while I was there, but I really like this area.  Lots of sun, much milder winters than I had growing up in ND, plenty to do in Denver or the mountains if that is what you're looking for, etc. 

As for negatives, like others have said Boulder has a bit of a reputation as a hippie/yuppie/college town, but frankly if you work in Boulder there should be no reason you can't live in a nearby town if that offends you.  Boulder is going to be more expensive for housing as well, but the area housing market is supposedly better than it has been at the moment.  The summers are hotter than I prefer, but I'd guess moving from Texas they wouldn't be anything you would worry about.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »

Live in Louisville.

This looks extremely promising. Excellent schools, great houses for far cheaper than the surrounding areas. I will definitely keep my eyes in this direction if it pans out.

Mike Dunn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on June 24, 2009, 02:57:48 AM

Buy a Prius and install solar panels if you go, you should fit right in.

I bet I know why you split up.................

Grace: Unmerited favor.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »

So my third interview is tonight at 7PM. If I make it past this point they fly me up for a face to face.

Mike Dunn
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »

Colorado must be the happening place.....

i have 2 interviews outside Denver in 2 weeks!!!!  would love to move there from Florida

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 24, 2009, 02:04:58 AM

Currently awaiting my third interview for a job opportunity there and am curious...  Everything I've read and seen sounds very nice.

I have lived in Boulder for two years now and overall I love it. I live in North Boulder, which is about 3 miles from campus and has a different feel than closer to campus and areas with more students. There are a lot of trails and parks. There are the mountains and Rocky Mountain Park extremely close. I have found the general people who live in Boulder to actually be really nice and friendly. Boulder if very dog friendly as well. I think it is the 2nd best place for bike-friendliness in the US. There is a LOT of good microbreweries in the area and some in Boulder itself. The bi-weekly farmer's market is awesome. The weather is just about perfect.

There are annoyances of course, but I have yet to find a place that doesn't have them. Houses are expensive and I couldn't have gotten one if I didn't qualify for the affordable housing program. When the undergrad students are here the areas around campus are much more crowded. There are some annoying rich people, but not as many as in La Jolla CA or San Diego in general. When it does snow, the roads are generally bad.

Some general things about CO. If you aren't used to being 1 mile above sea level there are some adjustments. The sun rays are stronger and you can burn faster. You need to drink more water until you get adjusted to the altitude and alcohol will effect you more. Even if you were in good shape where you live now, you will feel the altitude change.

If you have specific questions please let me know and I'll answer the best that I can.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »

That reminds me: Colorado boogers!
Colorado is super dry, and your boogers will dry up in your nose and you will probably have bloody boogers for a while.
Also, bring chap stick. You'll probably need it for the first few days.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 06:24:31 AM »

As previously stated, there are several OO'ers from the Boulder neck of the woods so you might want to ping over there.   I currently drive up there from Castle Rock (south of Denver) once a week because of my job.  I lived and worked up in that area for about 5 years before moving to my current residence (back in the late 90s).

The biggest issue with working in Boulder is getting into and out of the city because most people who do work there don't live there.   It's a pretty expensive place to live compared to the rest of the front range.   Access to the town is restricted because of the way the roads are laid out and all the open space surrounding it.

The whole Denver to Boulder corridor along US-36 has built up with a lot of tech companies over the past 15 years.   I'd also throw in locations in the Lodo area of Denver.  It is actually a pretty good place to find a job at the moment compared to the rest of the country.   Most of the positions will be in start-ups and not established companies however.   

- shaggy

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »

I wish.  If I had to live in the States, Boulder would be near the top of the list.

Outdoor sporting dream.

"Goonies never say die"
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 03:16:11 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on June 25, 2009, 11:08:01 AM

I wish.  If I had to live in the States, Boulder would be near the top of the list.

Outdoor sporting dream.

Yeah, I don't know about that... there are certainly some beautiful mountains, but there are crowds... After driving an HOUR from boulder into the mountains, I've been sitting eating lunch in the woods in a location where I couldn't find the trail that was on the map and had like 20 people wander by in twos and threes.

Have you ever been there?

Wyoming and Montana are better outdoorsy sorts of places, imho.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 25, 2009, 03:16:11 PM

Outdoor sporting dream.

Yeah, I don't know about that... there are certainly some beautiful mountains, but there are crowds... After driving an HOUR from boulder into the mountains, I've been sitting eating lunch in the woods in a location where I couldn't find the trail that was on the map and had like 20 people wander by in twos and threes.

Some people don't mind that.

Some people also enjoy Michael Bay movies.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys!  If it ends up happening I'll definitely have to try to hook up with some of you.  I know for a fact that I'll probably be reviewing a certain high profile music game for GT and I was originally planning to throw a party down here to get what I need for the review, so it's nice to know I may be able to lean on some of you fine OO and GT folks to help out with that biggrin

As for my interview process, I successfully got through interview three, even though it was a pretty brutal technical specification grilling, and now they want me to do a code test which is definitely up my alley. It's on!

Oh, and the place in question? Crispin Porter + Bogusky. biggrin

Mike Dunn
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on June 24, 2009, 08:51:14 PM

That reminds me: Colorado boogers!
Colorado is super dry, and your boogers will dry up in your nose and you will probably have bloody boogers for a while.
Also, bring chap stick. You'll probably need it for the first few days.

This it totally true.  I've been here for a couple of years now (in Castle Rock) and I get bloody boogers all winter long.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on June 25, 2009, 06:24:31 AM

I currently drive up there from Castle Rock (south of Denver)

Holy crap...you and I live in the same town.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »

So it looks like they are flying me out for a face to face!  I'll be flying up there sometime in the next two weeks.

Mike Dunn
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 25, 2009, 03:16:11 PM

Outdoor sporting dream.

I said near the top.  I love Wyoming and Montana as well.  Thankfully I will not be moving to the States anytime soon.

"Goonies never say die"
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 11:25:17 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on June 30, 2009, 03:51:46 PM

Thankfully I will not be moving to the States anytime soon.

Amen!
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

So I got my itinerary and I'll have pretty much all of Sunday the 12th to play around in Boulder.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:54:47 PM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 02:05:27 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 01, 2009, 07:34:33 PM

So I got my itinerary and I'll have pretty much all of Sunday the 12th to play around in Boulder.  Any suggestions?

Yea, hit as many little bars that brew beer as you can. The are loaded with hot college chicks that will make you think you are living in a beer commercial. Just with actually good beer.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 02:14:31 AM »

Quote from: Rip on July 03, 2009, 02:05:27 AM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 01, 2009, 07:34:33 PM

Yea, hit as many little bars that brew beer as you can. The are loaded with hot college chicks that will make you think you are living in a beer commercial. Just with actually good beer.

That sounds like a FANTASTIC idea!  Apparently I'm staying at the Boulderado Hotel, which they say is right in the middle of everything, so I should be in good shape

Mike Dunn
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »

There is a good Sushi joint near the Boulderado called Sushi Zanmai.

Prepare to walk Pearl Street Mall and get a hippy overload!
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »

The Boulderado is probably the nicest hotel in Boulder. Try to find the Mountain Sun on Pearl St, as they have some of the best beer in town.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 11:55:42 PM »

Ok, so I fly in tomorrow morning and have the day to do whatever. Here is what I am eyeing:

During the day:
Thinking about checking out Louisville or Longmont, as those are the two likeliest areas we would live.
Something outdoors. The thought of enjoying the outdoors while the sun is out during the month of July sounds really cool.
The obvious- check out downtown Boulder since that is where I'm staying.

Evening:
Beer. Local, awesome beer. Looks like I have MANY options...

Other than that, just trying to be flexible. Any suggestions?

Also, how is public transportation? I know Alex Bogusky started a bike-sharing program (B Cycle)- is it any good?

Mike Dunn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »

Depending on how things went, you may be interested to see that Louisville was number 1 on CNNMoney's Best Places to Live 2009 Edition and Superior was 13th.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 13, 2009, 04:22:45 PM

Depending on how things went, you may be interested to see that Louisville was number 1 on CNNMoney's Best Places to Live 2009 Edition and Superior was 13th.

biggrin

One of the guys who interviewed me mentioned that today. BAD. ASS.

It went very well. I interviewed with 7 people total and every single one was basically just shootin' the shit. The office was like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Now I wait for an offer (or a rejection....)

Mike Dunn
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »

Was there ever an update on this?

I've been thinking about moving to Colorado myself in the next few years and so I was curious if you were going to be there and what you thought of the culture, etc. (of course I wouldn't have any interest in working for an advertising agency).
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 12:01:37 AM »

Well, I got informed last week that they were taking a pass on me.  crybaby

But Boulder was ridiculously awesome. I saw the Mork & Mindy house:

Mike Dunn
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 28, 2009, 12:01:37 AM

But Boulder was ridiculously awesome. I saw the Mork & Mindy house:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe they'll change their minds.

And holy crap. The Mork and Mindy house!!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 01:47:10 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 28, 2009, 12:01:37 AM

sorry to hear that buddy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: