http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 02:04:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Pug Owners  (Read 342 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »

So, I've been considering purchasing a Pug puppy, but I need to know if they are good apartment dogs?  Also, do they do well being left alone for 8-9hrs during the week

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »

I have known a wonderous pug before.

(actually I personally find them a very unattractive dog, from puppy to death, even though I like dogs...  I realize I'm in the minority)

I did have a friend's mother who bred them.  They seemed to make great pets.  They might be a bit energetic for being left alone all day though, especially as a puppy. Generally the larger dogs do better at that in my experience.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:11:55 AM »

There's a couple of different breed selectors here from the Animal Planet website.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »

Just to throw my 2 cents in, you should think about adopting a dog instead of purchasing one.  There's likely many rescue organizations near you that will have dogs to adopt, there's probably even ones that focus on Pugs, or another breed that you're looking for.  Something to think about.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »

They're not great apartment dogs from what I know.  I remember one story a guy told me about a pug he eventually had to give up - the dog would cry actual tears whenever this guy was about to leave for the day.  I'm sure that's not the norm but everything I've heard is that they're very energetic, and susceptible to health problems and weight gain.  Great family dogs, but not really ideal for an apartment pet.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 21, 2011, 07:55:06 PM

They're not great apartment dogs from what I know.  I remember one story a guy told me about a pug he eventually had to give up - the dog would cry actual tears whenever this guy was about to leave for the day.  I'm sure that's not the norm but everything I've heard is that they're very energetic, and susceptible to health problems and weight gain.  Great family dogs, but not really ideal for an apartment pet.

This what I am finding out as well.  Thinking I might just go the rescue route

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »

Although I still haven't replaced my beloved late cat Molly yet (I need to get a short business trip in mid-July out of the way and then I think I'll adopt), I have frequently visited area shelters' and rescue leage's web site lists of both cats and dogs.

I've seen some very cute pugs listed. What the sites tend to warn is:
-You have to clean those wrinkles on their faces daily, or else they get dirty and nasty quickly. Pugs have no way to do that themselves.
-They tend to make snorting, sniffling sounds in the course of simply breathing, much less barking. If you don't like that kind of sound on a regular basis (it might be a bit much to deal with in a small apartment), consider another dog.  icon_smile

I don't recall reading if they were apartment-friendly. For the most part, shelters here tend to prefer their dogs be adopted by townhouse or single-family home tenants.

I live in a condo building with thin, not-soundproof walls and I have to say just about every dog in my building is "not an apartment dog." They bark all day, they bark when anyone makes 2 steps in our main hallway here, they bark at everyone they see when out for a walk.

And I love dogs, despite never having owned one. It just seems like every dog in my neighborhood is unfriendly, doesn't like condo living, and probably would be happier in a townhouse.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 22, 2011, 03:16:01 PM

-They tend to make snorting, sniffling sounds in the course of simply breathing, much less barking.

that explains those sounds WP makes over XBL...... biggrin

when I was looking to adopt a new dog a few years back all the pugs I saw seemed to have the caveat 'having housebreaking issues', otherwise I might have got one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »

I lived with two black pugs for 6 months and loved being around them.  While they do make excellent apartments dogs, they are very attached and affectionate creatures.  Leaving them alone is stressful on a notably above average level.  The stress was reduced when they went from one to two, though.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/pug/

The Pug’s reason for living is to be near their people and to please them, and their sturdiness makes them a family favorite. They are comfortable in small apartments because they need minimal exercise, but the breed can adapt easily to all situations.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »

they make great armrests when one is sitting on the couch and every pug i've ever met has been friendly, but i don't see the point of breeding dogs with inherent health problems (e.g. nasal passage issues).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: