http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 01:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any personal stupid moments today?  (Read 3246 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 01:49:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 05, 2008, 01:35:04 PM

<walk by a coworker whose cat 5 cable is way too short and barely reaches his laptop (been like this for months)>

Me: You want me to order you a longer cable?
Him: That would be wonderful
Me: <make a rough measurement to see how long a cord he needs>
Him: So do we need to call facilities management to get this installed?
<pause of incomprehension>
Me: You mean the cable?  I can install that for you.
Him: Really?  Oh great!

....like a patch cable?  He wanted FM to come out and install a patch cable??   icon_eek

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 05, 2008, 01:49:30 PM

....like a patch cable?  He wanted FM to come out and install a patch cable??   icon_eek

Yup.  Just an ordinary patch cable.  Now I'm tempted to slave over the job for an hour to play up how tough a task I'm able to complete single handedly!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 05, 2008, 01:45:33 PM

Quote from: Mr. Fed on June 04, 2008, 08:11:40 PM

I told a judge that she didn't have the power to do something.

Are YOU Jack Thompson?! 

oh... OUCH.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »

I introduced a large cup of coffee to a stack of contracts this morning.  The two hit it off really well and are now practically inseparable.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 05, 2008, 02:06:37 PM

Yup.  Just an ordinary patch cable.  Now I'm tempted to slave over the job for an hour to play up how tough a task I'm able to complete single handedly!

When I worked IT support there were many times when I'd make the trip out to somebody's desk for a three second fix.  I'd then spend 20 minutes futzing around doing simple maintenance stuff and then get up, dust off my hands and tell 'em it was a difficult problem due to "improperly parsed SQL relay frames causing an IRQ conflict in their winsock.dbt file" or somesuch nonsense.  The look of incomprehension and the profuse thanks were worth the time.

Worse yet was when I'd actually run into a problem that I didn't have any real fix for but just by messing around with it for a few minutes doing the usual troubleshooting things would clear up the problem.  So I can't really say definitively what I did to fix the problem and that's when they always ask, "so what caused it to do that?"

I'd just put on my serious knowledgeable face and tell them, "sunspots."   Say anything with enough conviction and they'll believe you.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »

I ate Pizza and Pepsi for breakfast.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »

One of my (senior) colleagues came over this morning to see if I had any major work or projects going on I needed any help with before he went on vacation. "No, I replied, just the usual. Been busy this morning putting out fires." I then see his eyes scan over to the prominently displayed "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS PLAYER'S HANDBOOK" PDF file I left wide open on my monitor.   paranoid
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on June 05, 2008, 02:39:34 PM

When I worked IT support there were many times when I'd make the trip out to somebody's desk for a three second fix.  I'd then spend 20 minutes futzing around doing simple maintenance stuff and then get up, dust off my hands and tell 'em it was a difficult problem due to "improperly parsed SQL relay frames causing an IRQ conflict in their winsock.dbt file" or somesuch nonsense.  The look of incomprehension and the profuse thanks were worth the time.

I'd just put on my serious knowledgeable face and tell them, "sunspots."   Say anything with enough conviction and they'll believe you.

Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where Scotty meets Geordi and tells him all the secrets of padding time estimates and job complexity.  And I'm going to have to remember that sunspots explanation, that's a keeper.

Quote from: YellowKing on June 05, 2008, 02:54:31 PM

One of my (senior) colleagues came over this morning to see if I had any major work or projects going on I needed any help with before he went on vacation. "No, I replied, just the usual. Been busy this morning putting out fires." I then see his eyes scan over to the prominently displayed "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS PLAYER'S HANDBOOK" PDF file I left wide open on my monitor.   paranoid
Ouch.  I had a similar moment a few weeks ago when I left an Order of the Stick comic up on one of my monitors.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 05, 2008, 03:00:56 PM

Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where Scotty meets Geordi and tells him all the secrets of padding time estimates and job complexity.  And I'm going to have to remember that sunspots explanation, that's a keeper.

Quote from: YellowKing on June 05, 2008, 02:54:31 PM

Ouch.  I had a similar moment a few weeks ago when I left an Order of the Stick comic up on one of my monitors.

My monitor faces away from the door to my office and I get ornary when people walk aroun to this side of my desk.  icon_wink
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »

winsock.dbt
What do goats have to do with it??

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2008, 03:54:16 PM »

I use the sunspots excuse a lot at work. My co-workers are starting to use it too. I'm infectious.  icon_twisted

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2008, 01:50:46 AM »

I am gonna have to use it as well.  It will take 7-12 year olds at least a minute to figure out what I am talking about, more than enough time to walk away and them forget their question.

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2008, 03:55:06 PM »

Not personal, but about 3 minutes ago, the administrative assistant that sits one cube over is cleaning her keyboard with one of those compressed air cans.

Would be normal except that she was holding the can horizontally with the straw inside her keys, and I could see the foamy moisture bubbling for all directions.

I didn't have the heart to stop her.  Well, technically I didn't want to, she pisses me off to no end.

Just a little hiccup.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: