http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:46:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any personal stupid moments today?  (Read 3262 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »

I was just listening to Radio Paradise with headphones and wanted to turn it up a bit.  I reached for the volume control but hesitated because I didn't want to use up too much bandwidth.  You know, from the extra loudness.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:28:51 PM »

none yet, but the day is still young.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »

Had mine yesterday.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:57:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 04, 2008, 03:26:47 PM

Any personal stupid moments today?

Is this a joke?  Or are you asking if my personal stupidity is somehow being limited to mere moments today?  How does the saying go?  Stupid is as stupid does and when stupid has nothing to do it looks to me for advice or something to that effect.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »

Jebus.  Twice already.  I posted a thread in the wrong subsection of MY OWN FORUM.  I also edited a post instead of clicking quote.  Yea...retarded today it seems. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »

I was just listening to Radio Paradise with headphones and wanted to turn it up a bit.  I reached for the volume control but hesitated because I didn't want to use up too much bandwidth.  You know, from the extra loudness.

Classic.

I had cloned a server and forgot to disable the monitoring... my systems management group have reinstalled HP OpenView a dozen times trying to shut down the (seemingly) erroneous messages indicating software failures only to realize they were coming from the clone.

Another thing: the person who came to me about it sits RIGHT BESIDE the server sending them the messages (which is in cubicle-land rather than in the Data Centre).

I love my job.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »

I showed up to work thinking it was going to be a good day.  That lasted till 9am.

Just a little hiccup.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:41:57 PM »

This thread was made for me!  I've only been awake for an hour, so only one of my "regular" goofies has happened... so far.  Right out  of the gate I tried to answer the phone with the TV controller.  It may be a good day today, though, since I only watched a few seconds of SportsCenter before I realized the phone was still ringing.  disgust

I can't wait to get to the morning tooth-brushing (oops, it's after noon here now) - I have come so close to using hair gel instead of toothpaste, I know I will someday.    retard

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:45:14 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on June 04, 2008, 04:41:57 PM

This thread was made for me!  I've only been awake for an hour, so only one of my "regular" goofies has happened... so far.  Right out  of the gate I tried to answer the phone with the TV controller.  It may be a good day today, though, since I only watched a few seconds of SportsCenter before I realized the phone was still ringing.  disgust

I can't wait to get to the morning tooth-brushing (oops, it's after noon here now) - I have come so close to using hair gel instead of toothpaste, I know I will someday.    retard

Cleaned AND straightened. Nice. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »

I found myself trying to "zoom in" on something I saw in the distance by using the scroll wheel.

Did I mention I did this while I was driving to work and thus actually had no mouse and was simply waggling my scroll wheel finger back and forth on the steering wheel?

So there I am, leaning forward, squinting, and waving my finger on the steering wheel and my wife asks me, "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Um, trying to zoom in on that sign?"

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on June 04, 2008, 04:45:40 PM

I found myself trying to "zoom in" on something I saw in the distance by using the scroll wheel.

Did I mention I did this while I was driving to work and thus actually had no mouse and was simply waggling my scroll wheel finger back and forth on the steering wheel?

I've had my share of trying to do gaming actions in real life.  The worst recurring instances were when I was completely addicted to Subspace (online multiplayer Asteroids).  I couldn't walk around a corner without triggering my instinct to lay a mine.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 05:13:42 PM »

While in San Diego last week we drove past an airport. One of the writers from another site and I looked at each other and nodded - we were both thinking about stealing the helicopter on the pad.  GTA strikes again!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »

Any personal stupid moments today?

Yeah when I clicked on this thread.

Wonderpug = FACED!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 04, 2008, 05:06:15 PM

I couldn't walk around a corner without triggering my instinct to lay a mine.

Remind me not to walk behind you.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »

Not me personally, but I've been dealing with other people's stupidity all morning.

The latest example was a woman who needed some more paper with the full color company letterhead. So she proceeds to scan it into the color copier/scanner/printer via its scan function, has it email the file to her PC, where she then opened it and sent it back to the color copier/scanner/printer to be printed out 50 times. Something happened between her computer and the print queue, they wouldn't print, so she got fed up and called me over to do it.

I calmly took the letterhead, walked over, made 50 color copies, put the stack on her desk without saying a word, and left her standing there in slack-jawed dumbfoundment.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »

We updated a sql view on our database to fix a report that got broken by a structure change. Worked like a charm so we released it to the client. Then we found out it broke the other 134 unrelated reports..  crybaby Took only like 20 minutes to fix but ya oops..
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »

Sometimes I find my wallet in the refrigerator.  How's that happen?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 06:44:33 PM »

I woke up to a dogs ass in my face. Not sure what was going on there but I'm glad I was asleep when it happened.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 06:48:20 PM »

This afternoon I realized I didn't know any Belgians.   This made me horribly depressed for about thirty seconds.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 06:49:19 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 04, 2008, 06:48:20 PM

This afternoon I realized I didn't know any Belgians.   This made me horribly depressed for about thirty seconds.

I'd be depressed too.  They make a fine waffle.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 04, 2008, 05:34:28 PM

I calmly took the letterhead, walked over, made 50 color copies, put the stack on her desk without saying a word, and left her standing there in slack-jawed dumbfoundment.

You should have laid a mine when you dropped off the copies.

I'm sitting in the middle of the cafe at work browsing this on my laptop and trying not to laugh out loud for fear of being stared at by 200 people. Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:53:22 PM by PaulBot » Logged

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »

We've got at least one forumer from the Netherlands.  Is that close enough to make you feel better for thirty seconds?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 06:58:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 04, 2008, 06:51:36 PM

We've got at least one forumer from the Netherlands.  Is that close enough to make you feel better for thirty seconds?

When I was desperately searching my brain for memories of Belgians I might know, said forumer actually popped up as a false-positive.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 04, 2008, 06:58:52 PM

When I was desperately searching my brain for memories of Belgians I might know, said forumer actually popped up as a false-positive.

Speaking of Belgians (or not) you need to play FFXI, lol - or any other MMO with world-wide clientele.  One night, while taking an mp/hp break, someone in our party said the inevitable: "so, where are y'all from?"  Results:  Scotland, Canada, Netherlands, Britain - and, of all things, me (Amherst, MA) and someone from Springfield, MA - about 30 minutes from me, and where I went to high school! 

Sorry to be so off topic here, but call that a personal stupid moment, and I'm GOOD!   icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

New one for the day, but this one was intentional.

For the past several months I have been saving the cardboard cores to the label rolls for my label printer.  I replaced this last roll a little bit early because this makes my fifth cardboard label roll core.  <rejoice>

Why is it so important to have five?

Because several months ago I decided I wanted to color these cardboard circles and put them together to create the olympic rings.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »

Cool!  I wonder if they know Peter Pan or Tink.  icon_smile
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »

I told a judge that she didn't have the power to do something.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on June 04, 2008, 08:11:40 PM

To pee standing up?

chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »

My job is Railroad Supervisor and we primarily take molten iron from the Blast Furnace to the Basic Oxygen Furnace.
They can hold 7 Cars at the BOF, and we can put them in 2 at a time.

All day long when the Blast Furnace called out another loaded Car, I jumped up to take the loads over only to find out they hadn't made room on their side for delivery.

Here's the stupid part.

My computer has an updated screen of what is currently still loaded at the BOF.

As in, where I was sitting had the information I needed to check before going into "Speedy Delivery" mode.

Sit back down. Breathe. Check the screen. Think.

Spawn of OO Collective
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »

I started complaining to a guy friend I had too many women who wanted to sleep with me...

it's about the same as punching your friend in the face as far as I can tell.  smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 12:18:45 AM »

Took the day off work and started the revamp of my front yard.  This is mainly my father-in-law's idea, which means he'll be paying for most of it but we have to do all the work ourselves.  The revamp will include tearing out all the existing sod, leveling the entire yard (it's got some fairly major crowns and dips), putting in a new sprinkler system, laying new top soil, laying new sod, and planting trees/shrubs/flowers in all the new planting beds I'm going to have.  Spent nearly 7 hours pulling out the old sod today, and got maybe 1/4 of the yard done.  My back hurts so bad now I can barely stand.

What in the holy hell was I thinking starting this project?  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 12:35:02 AM »

my stupid moment will not be showing up on cnn.com tomorrow.

I repeat, it will not.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 01:38:40 AM »

Ok, sorry, not in the spirit of the thread as it wasn't my stupid moment, but:

(I'm in IT support. From the complex and fun to the inane and dumb.)

phone rings

Her: Question for you, we have a web class scheduled for 9:30 am central time. I'm on the east coast - what time does it start here?

Me (thinking I'm being tricked or something): Well, 10:30 am.

Her: Are you sure? That's what the people here are saying but I'm kind of doubting that.

Me: What time is it there right now?

Her: 9:00 am

Me: Ok, I'm central time and you're eastern. It's 8:00 am here right now. Let's just advance that by an hour and a half and what do you get?

Her: So you think it's at 10:30 am our time?

Me: Yeah...

Her: Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

Now, fine - I run into stuff like this all the time, but what threw me about this one is her last line: "I'm sorry to hear that" WTF does that mean? Am I supposed to change how time zones work?
Delraich
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 08:23:50 AM »

I walked into the office this morning, and the radio was playing. good song, I thought and got the Ipod from my bag to check which song it was.

BTW.  I live in dutchistan, and cannot say I know peter pan or Tink, in person.   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:49:03 AM by Delraich » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 08:29:28 AM »

I went around the house unplugging all my electronics because of an extremely heavy thunderstorm that came through that was throwing down a lot of lightning.

Then after seeing my front porch submerged under in inch and a half of water I went to the garage, opened the door, and spent thirty minutes using a wide pushbroom to shove water away from the edge of the garage doors to keep the garage from flooding anymore than it already had.

Saving my electronics won't do me much good if lightning strikes and I get killed because I was holding one end of a broom while the other's sitting in a big puddle of water.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »

I let my ex-girlfriend talk me into picking up dinner for her last night, and driving it out to the chem plant she works at.

The same one that acts like she hates me when I'm there, but can't live without me after I'm gone.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »

Quote from: Krillin on June 05, 2008, 11:50:19 AM

I let my ex-girlfriend talk me into picking up dinner for her last night, and driving it out to the chem plant she works at.

The same one that acts like she hates me when I'm there, but can't live without me after I'm gone.

Wow. I was just listening to "Self-Esteem" the other day. I didn't realize people live that. frown Sorry man.

My dumb moment today was where I ripped all the tape off a server box to unpack it, only to realize that the top just slides up and wasn't secured at the bottom.

Now I have to tape the top of the box up because in a month or so it gets shipped out again. :sigh:

Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 01:16:30 PM »

Wow. I was just listening to "Self-Esteem" the other day. I didn't realize people live that.  Sorry man.

Well, in my defense, it is the first time I've even talked to her in over a year.

I must admit that I do feel sorry for what life has handed her, but I'm also glad that I don't have to deal with all that drama on a daily basis anymore.  Not like I plan on going back to her at any time.

And to keep in the spirit of the thread (hope I'm allowed 2 in a day  icon_biggrin).  I picked up "Weight control" oatmeal instead of regular.  This stuff tastes like garbage.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »

<walk by a coworker whose cat 5 cable is way too short and barely reaches his laptop (been like this for months)>

Me: You want me to order you a longer cable?
Him: That would be wonderful
Me: <make a rough measurement to see how long a cord he needs>
Him: So do we need to call facilities management to get this installed?
<pause of incomprehension>
Me: You mean the cable?  I can install that for you.
Him: Really?  Oh great!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on June 04, 2008, 08:11:40 PM

Are YOU Jack Thompson?! 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: