http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 11:45:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any GT cyclers out there?  (Read 801 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »

I like to think I'm nice to the Earth.  I take the bus to & from work.  I hardly drive.

So I purchased a bike from REI about a week ago.  A "hybrid" because I'm planning on using it to commute to work some days and others just ride it around Portland.

I guess I truly realized just how much I love biking when I took a four hour bike ride trip with my girlfriend around Portland yesterday.  If any of you have been to Portland, Oregon, you know it's fairly "bike-friendly."  We biked around the waterfront then proceeded to bike basically 20 miles around, usually staying on "bike-only" paths that are fairly frequent in Portland.

Afterward, I was tired... but it was that "gratifying tired" that actually feels kinda nice.

Anyone else cycle?  Any tips you can give to a newb?!  What kind of bike do you have?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:12:54 PM »

Quote from: depward on May 14, 2007, 04:20:55 PM

I like to think I'm nice to the Earth.  I take the bus to & from work.  I hardly drive.

So I purchased a bike from REI about a week ago.  A "hybrid" because I'm planning on using it to commute to work some days and others just ride it around Portland.

I guess I truly realized just how much I love biking when I took a four hour bike ride trip with my girlfriend around Portland yesterday.  If any of you have been to Portland, Oregon, you know it's fairly "bike-friendly."  We biked around the waterfront then proceeded to bike basically 20 miles around, usually staying on "bike-only" paths that are fairly frequent in Portland.

Afterward, I was tired... but it was that "gratifying tired" that actually feels kinda nice.

Anyone else cycle?  Any tips you can give to a newb?!  What kind of bike do you have?

Wish I could say yes but my job is waaaaay too far away from home to be even thinking about biking.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »

Custom built Land Shark that I love!  Has Campy Chorus gruppo and a brooks leather saddle.  I think the best advice I could give is to get fitted to your bike at a shop.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 14, 2007, 06:07:28 PM

Custom built Land Shark that I love!  Has Campy Chorus gruppo and a brooks leather saddle.  I think the best advice I could give is to get fitted to your bike at a shop.
Snap, very nice Zin!  I'll have to take a snapshot of my bike and post it - I <3 it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:11:05 PM »

I ride.  I have a '05 Fuji Newest that I ride.  My usual ride is a roughly 30 mile loop.  I'll do longer rides from time to time, but they take more time and I need to actually plan a day around them.

Last fall, I bought a '06 Rockhopper.  We have some awesome MTB trails in the Stewart Buffer (5000 acres or so, adjacent to Stewart Airport) -- about 10 minutes from my house.  It's one of the things I'm going to miss when we move from here.

As for tips, I really don't have many.  Drink plenty of fluids.  I hear a lot of 'a bottle per hour' thrown around and try to keep to that.  Drink before you get thirsty is another one.  I definitely keep to that.

If you don't have bicycle shorts, you'll want to get a pair.  The padding makes a big difference.  If you don't want the spandex look, you can go with MTB shorts.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:45:39 PM »

Quote from: DonD on May 14, 2007, 11:11:05 PM

If you don't have bicycle shorts, you'll want to get a pair.  The padding makes a big difference.  If you don't want the spandex look, you can go with MTB shorts.

Yeah that is good advice, I always wear cycling shorts or bibs when I ride. 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 12:05:39 AM »

after many years without a bike, i bought a mountain bike about 3 years ago and was immediately hooked.  i've gotten into cycling for fitness just as much as fun, so i made the jump to a nice road bike toward the end of last summer and really enjoy that now.  in addition to being great exercise, i really like that fact that i can head out on my bike and just be alone with my thoughts as i pedal along...great stress reliever after a long day at work. i'm not a hardcore cyclist by any means, but i'm slowly working my way up on the road bike this year.  it's definitely the most enjoyable form of exercise i've found.

as for pointers, my two biggest suggestions are to make sure you have a bike that fits you well, and don't be afraid to buy some padded cycling shorts.  having the proper fit for your bike will make your riding much more efficient, and you'll be a lot more comfortable in the process.  many of the aches and pains you get from riding can be remedied by having your bike properly fitted.  the cycling shorts are important because that little bit of extra padding in the rear is crucial if you're in the saddle for very long, and the slick fabric prevents chafing as your legs rub together.  if you don't like the spandex, look into some 'baggy shorts'...they look like regular nylon shorts but have the padded lining.  i often wear them when i know i'm going to stop somewhere not because of the look, but because mine have pockets that make it much easier to carry around keys, money, or anything else i might need.

one other suggestion if you stick with cycling for a while...strongly consider trying out clipless pedals.  most people are initially afraid of the idea of their feet being attached to the bike, but it makes a huge difference in your pedaing efficiency.  your form will be better, and you'll be able to exert force on the pedals throughout your stroke, both as you push down and while pulling your feet back up.  when you first start out, you'll feel the difference as you're using new muscles, but it pays off in the end.  when i ride without being clipped in now, it feels odd because i'm used to pulling the pedals up with my feet on the back side of my stroke...both legs work all the time, giving you more power throughout your pedal stroke.  it's definitely something to think about if you want to get into more serious riding.

as for my bikes, i'll snap some pictures in the next day or two when i can do them outside in the sun...lighting in my apartment right now stinks.  i'll get them up soon though icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 12:10:37 AM »

Has anyone heard anything about Iron Horse Mountain Bikes.  This guy on craigslist was selling a Trek 720 for $75, and a Iron Horse for 100.  I'm meeting with him tomorrow to look at it, and he agreed to $80 for the Iron Horse.  The trek had already sold.  I don't know the model, since he was at work when I called, but in general how's the Iron Horse.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »

I live in Portland and also bike quite a bit. I find the key to a pleasureable bike ride is to stay the hell off major roads. Sure, they may have bike lanes, but people in Portland all drive aggressively and race to the next stop light, if they bother to stop at all. The local news has a new story every day about some pedestrian or bicyclist that was killed attempting to cross a major drag. Screw that. I stick to the back roads and can still get most anywhere in the city with minimal risk to my life.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 12:46:30 AM »

I have a 20" freestyle back that I rode throughout college but havent really ridden in a few years. The few times I've gotten on it, it feels so insanely tiny now. Also have a generic mountain bike that I got to just ride around town. Rides well enough for me and I didn't want to spend a lot of cash at the time. If I ever got serious about offroading on it, I would get a real bike but I just ride around streets on it for the most part. I don't know how I used to ride so much as a kid in OK. I can no longer stand the crazy summer heat and winter cold both with nice 20mph breezes always blowing in the direction you want to ride. So that leaves me with 1 month a year of nice riding weather smile
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:49:03 AM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 01:00:26 AM »

After 3 years of not bein in a biking friendly area I just picked up an el cheapo Target special:

(the one I got is actually scarlet and grey)

Considering how often I end up wrecking bikes I tend to avoid paying more than $100 for them, and this one will suit my purposes for now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 03:02:01 PM »

My ancient relic of a MTB is currently being rebuilt in a friends shop. There's a public parkland bikeway right outside the back of my condo so it's easy to ride. Back in the day I did a lot of MTB touring, including touring across British Columbia twice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: