http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:18:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Country Music fans?  (Read 1434 times)
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2004, 05:24:46 PM »

I'm not, and that is why I need your help. I have to a buy a gift for someone who is a country music fan, so I figured I'll get him a CD or something.

IF you could recommend some CDs that'd be great. Also if you could list twenty or so of your most favorite songs that'd be awesome.
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 05:35:17 PM »

Ill list some singers/groups for you...

Alabama
Kenney Chesney
Shania Twain
Brooks and Dunn
Allison Kraus

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 04:05:58 AM »

This is tricky without knowing your friend's general taste and current CD collection.

I used to listen to country music before it became pop music with fiddles. Currently, the biggest stars include Tim McGraw, Gretchen Wilson, Big & Rich, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney and Shania Twain. Personally, I can't bear to listen to any of them, but they're popular, so your friend might like them. Popular country singers who are actually talented include Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Patty Loveless, the Dixie Chicks (only if your friend is a Democrat) and Alison Krauss.

Good but obscure artists include Kelly Willis, Tift Merritt, Radney Foster, Kevin Welch and Robert Earl Keen, but odds are overwhelming your friend would look at these artists and say "Who is this person?", more's the pity.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 06:44:11 AM »

What's going on with Toby Keith anyway? He's starting to look all.. ghetto or something. Trying to get that "I'm da cool whiteboy in tha hood" type of look going on, definitely something new for him. I don't listen to country much (although there are a few songs I do like, the ones you might hear on a non-country music station though because they sound good) but Keith Urban has a few decent songs.
Maybe the real best way to find out what kind of country your friend likes is just ask him! Hey, what are some of your favorite bands? That'd give you a good hint at what to get instead of just country since there are so many forms of country and hundreds of different singers and bands.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 07:24:47 AM »

I'm not into country music that much and I love Alison Krauss, AND she and her band have a new album out, I think that's your best bet.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 12:56:49 PM »

I'd go for this:

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 02:38:25 PM »

About all I can stand is Dwight Yoakam.  But I really like his stuff a lot.  He has two greatest hits CD's.  You can't go wrong there.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 02:47:07 PM »

Does Shania Twain sing?  Damn I thought she was there just to drool over.

I told my wife if Shania ever shows up the front door we will see how far I can throw my wife out the back  :twisted:
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 03:27:18 PM »

I passed by a car playing country music yesterday, and my ears started to bleed.
Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 04:07:40 PM »

Depends on what kind of Country music your friend likes. It’s not my favorite, but some of it I can listen to.

I’m a huge Parrothead, so Jimmy Buffett’s latest album “License to Chill” was not only a must buy, but I actually enjoy the entire album, and it’s almost all collaborations with C&W artists.

Some of the artists not mentioned already your friend may enjoy: Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Clint Black, Alan Jackson, and George Strait. Martina McBride has an absolutely beautiful voice, and the rest of her rocks too. Same holds true for Faith Hill. Jerry Jeff Walker also fits the bill, and I’d even throw in Lyle Lovett also.

Shania is great to look at, but most of her music is just soft pop with a little “twang” for effect. The only reason she’s considered a country artist is that her first album(s) were C&W. Since she married Mutt, she’s almost all pop. But, with his background in heavy metal/rock & roll, that’s expected. When I think of country music, the first names to pop into my mind aren’t Toby, Kenny, Gretchen, and the Dixie Chicks. I think of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon, George Jones, and the ones I mentioned above. They’re what I consider Country & Western artists.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 04:25:36 PM »

Poor old Toby Kieth...some guy on tv remarked that if someone looked like a smell then Toby looked like BO..hahahahaa

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 04:37:10 PM »

I don't really like Country Music either, but my finance loves it.  I've seen Keith Urban with her twice now and he is pretty good.  He is a really good guitar player and listening to him isn't unbearable.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 04:50:53 PM »

No.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 10:42:36 PM »

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions! I apologize for not replying sooner. I figured it would probably be hard for you to answer, so thanks very much for all your efforts =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: