http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:03:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another pet vacuum thread  (Read 2298 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:19:05 AM »

We are drowning in Golden Retriever hair, so I am thinking of spending some of an unexpected holiday bonus on a real pet vacuum. However, I see the Dysons are running $550-$600 and that's a lot to spend on a vacuum. I know that there are some folks on the boards that have the Dyson. Did you pay full price? Any recommendations for deals? Any lower priced alternatives that are as effective?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:22:27 AM »

I'll second the Dyson (Black Lab with light colored rugs) but not sure where to get the best deals on them are. I know sometimes Target will throw you a gift card. I've got nothing more than that....

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:47:10 AM »

Which models do people have? I noticed that ecost was selling an older model. I'm wondering if those are as good as the newer ones. The models on the site right now are the DC25 and DC28, and the one on ecost is the DC14. I see Overstock also has the DC17.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:51:33 AM by Teggy » Logged

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:58:23 AM »

Here you go, two pages of vacuum talk.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 04:00:27 AM »

DC25 Dyson Animal for us. Had it a year now, and it's fantastic.

Rainbows are also surprisingly effective.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:18:27 AM »

Looks like Pete has the DC17. Overstock has it refurbed right now at $300. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on that.

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 04:38:40 AM »

We have the DC28 Animal, which we bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond with one of their 20% off coupons. Sweetest deal in town. By the way we have cats and the first day we had to empty the canister several times due to cat hair being embedded in the carpeting.  icon_eek

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 04:55:57 AM »

What I find sucks (like a, um, Dyson!) is a place like Bed, Bath & Beyond doles out 15-20% off coupons every minute of the day but of COURSE you can't use it on the Dyson or anything obscenely expensive.  disgust I think if you're a Best Buy rewards member on occasion they give a 10% off coupon that can (maybe?) be used on a Dyson vac.

Most of the consumer magazine-ish and site reviews I read about Dyson are negative, fwiw, and some less exotic brands tend to seem to perform better in tests. That's not to dispel people here being happy with them -- just that in comparisons test articles they don't seem to come off so hot. Its competitors just don't have a hoidy-toidy Englishman hawking them on TV.  icon_razz

I assume Dyson was not able to patent its technology cause now all the vac makers are making similar vacs touting the same basic tech. Dunno if they work as well or better. Several years ago I came really close to getting one at Best Buy, but even with 10% off, I just kept thinking, "$399 or $499 for a vacuum cleaner? Am I really THAT clean?"  icon_smile

I am drowning in cat hair myself. I might look at something different (perhaps an Oreck or something) in the new year.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:57:31 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 05:06:38 AM »

Bissle makes a pet vacuum

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:58:56 AM »

I have an Electrolux Oxygen 3, its had a few maintenance issues (which Electrolux handled for free- sent me a $70 part) however otherwise was very highly rated by consumer reports and really does a great job (have 3 dogs, can make a new one out of the hair they shed each month).  Its a canister vacuum (I hate uprights - they are a pain in the ass on stairs).

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 01:48:46 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 12, 2009, 04:55:57 AM

What I find sucks (like a, um, Dyson!) is a place like Bed, Bath & Beyond doles out 15-20% off coupons every minute of the day but of COURSE you can't use it on the Dyson or anything obscenely expensive.  

Not true! We searched the coupon for restrictions and none seen. We even asked the cashier if it would go through and she said that it should. We received 20% off the purchase of our Dyson and this was about three months ago.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »

I have a DC14, 2 Alaskan Malamutes, one of the worst shedding dogs known to mankind, and the thing kicks ass.  Mine is about 5 years old now I think and it still blows me away with how much it picks up.  I highly recommend them, and am actually thinking of getting a newer version in the next year or so and keeping the DC14 as a spare/backup or even use it for things like my unfinished basement.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 04:30:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 12, 2009, 04:18:27 AM

Looks like Pete has the DC17. Overstock has it refurbed right now at $300. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on that.

Buy it.  Don't even bother looking at any other brands.  We first tried the Bissell "Pet Hair Eraser", and given the amount of cleaning I do and the two dogs, it died after less than a month.  I couldn't be more pleased with our Dyson.  It's a little unfortunate that we no longer have carpet on the entire first floor of the house due to the fish tank incident, but because of the dark slate floors dog hair shows up more than ever, so I wind up vacuuming every two or three days rather than once or twice a week.  And our Dyson has yet to falter. 

You won't be disappointed.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »

I bought the Bissel (according to that post on 8/4/08) and it barely works now. Do vacuums have to be professionally cleaned? The bottom 'spinner brush thing' doesn't even turn on carpet anymore. I think maybe I should just break down and get the Dyson at BBB (with coupon) since we have a ton of carpet and 2 vacuums that barely work now.

My Weim actually has short hair. It's my wife's lustrous long locks that jam up the machine. So maybe I need the Blond version instead of the animal biggrin

So is the consensus that the DC17 is the best bang for the buck?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:51:43 PM by Jag » Logged
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 02:52:20 PM »

Another positive vote for the Dyson. We picked up the canister DC23 about a year ago and have not looked back. We have 2 cats and a dog on all hardwood with one area rug. Love love love the thing.
House feels cleaner and I am amazed everytime we use the thing just how much dirt it grabs.

Expensive? Sure - but it is more than the bang for your buck.

Take the plunge and rest easy that there are no belts/bags to replace.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »

Jag, try cleaning the filter.  My hoover basically stopped sucking a while ago.  I was ready to replace it when I checked online, and found that the filter needs to be cleaned out periodically.  I removed it and blew the hell out of it with compressed air.  It was absolutely caked with crud.  Afterward, it was like a new  vacuum.

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »

Another voice for the Dyson.

I'll add that the Dyson Animal is named the "Animal" only because it comes with all the attachments, not because it's better for pet hair.  All upright Dysons are the same, only the color is different.

Just a little hiccup.
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on December 14, 2009, 03:26:38 PM

I'll add that the Dyson Animal is named the "Animal" only because it comes with all the attachments, not because it's better for pet hair.  All upright Dysons are the same, only the color is different.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 04:28:22 PM »

Target has the DC25 on sale for $439 this week,100 bucks off the normal price.  I'm tempted, even with the refurbs being 300 bucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 04:48:03 PM »

We had to get the canister (DC23 Animal) because my girlfriend has a herniated disc and she found that using the upright put too much weight in her hands. My only complaint about the Dyson is that it didn't come with the Flat Out tool. It does come with the hand-held spin brush which is amazing.

I also love the fact that you can clean out pretty much any area of the vacuum without having to use tools (including powerhead).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:52:54 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »

We have a Rainbow that replaced a Dyson and both are excellent.  The Dyson (including some warranty work) was worry free and worked great and when the power switch went out they paid for it to be shipped to them, fixed and sent back all in around a week.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »

My next vacuum is a Rainbow... I just didn't have the money (the Dyson is 1/2 the price). My parents have had one for 20 years now, and it still works like a champ. Wet dirt doesn't fly. smile

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »

another vote for the dc17.  i recently ran a test using our older bissel and then ran the dyson after it downstairs (where the kids hang out 90% of the time) and there was still half a can's worth of hair in there (wife and daughter both keep their hair past shoulder length).  basically, the bissel got the visible stuff you see on the carpet and barely touched the embedded stuff. 

it's pretty close to 5 years old now and runs as good as it did when we got it.

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on December 14, 2009, 04:22:50 PM

Quote from: Hiccup on December 14, 2009, 03:26:38 PM

I'll add that the Dyson Animal is named the "Animal" only because it comes with all the attachments, not because it's better for pet hair.  All upright Dysons are the same, only the color is different.

The DC28 was offered starting in May, all "Animal"'s before that were re-skined versions of the DC7/DC14 with added attachments.  The step up from the Yellow DC07 was the purple "Animal" and included the suction driven furnature brush, the red and dark purple "Complete" had the hardwood floor attachment as well as the furnature brush.

The DC25 Animal still sticks with the same naming convention before the DC28, as the only reference to pet hair is the Mini turbine head, which can be purchased separately.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 07:24:15 PM by Hiccup » Logged

Just a little hiccup.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 14, 2009, 03:22:54 PM

Jag, try cleaning the filter.  My hoover basically stopped sucking a while ago.  I was ready to replace it when I checked online, and found that the filter needs to be cleaned out periodically.  I removed it and blew the hell out of it with compressed air.  It was absolutely caked with crud.  Afterward, it was like a new  vacuum.

Tried that. Wrestled with the damn thing outside. Ended up covered in crud and the thing still didn't work well.

Looks like the DC25 is the front runner. Target price and BBB with coupon come out the same, I think.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:54:20 PM by Jag » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »

Quote from: Jag on December 14, 2009, 06:51:33 PM

Quote from: Chaz on December 14, 2009, 03:22:54 PM

Jag, try cleaning the filter.  My hoover basically stopped sucking a while ago.  I was ready to replace it when I checked online, and found that the filter needs to be cleaned out periodically.  I removed it and blew the hell out of it with compressed air.  It was absolutely caked with crud.  Afterward, it was like a new  vacuum.

Tried that. Wrestled with the damn thing outside. Ended up covered in crud and the thing still didn't work well.

Still can't decide which model Dyson to look at...

go with one with the Ball!  the Ball!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 12, 2009, 04:30:59 PM

Buy it.  Don't even bother looking at any other brands.  We first tried the Bissell "Pet Hair Eraser", and given the amount of cleaning I do and the two dogs, it died after less than a month.  I couldn't be more pleased with our Dyson.  It's a little unfortunate that we no longer have carpet on the entire first floor of the house due to the fish tank incident, but because of the dark slate floors dog hair shows up more than ever, so I wind up vacuuming every two or three days rather than once or twice a week.  And our Dyson has yet to falter. 

So it works well on tile? The main problem I always have with vacuums on tile is that the exhaust air just blows shit around, so it never gets near the vacuum in the first place. Does the Dyson handle this better? Where does the exhaust air blow out?

I am also concerned that the ball version (which seems to be all of them now) will just slide around with no control on tile.

LiveTAG: happydog
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »

Quote from: happydog on December 14, 2009, 07:29:24 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on December 12, 2009, 04:30:59 PM

So it works well on tile? The main problem I always have with vacuums on tile is that the exhaust air just blows shit around, so it never gets near the vacuum in the first place. Does the Dyson handle this better? Where does the exhaust air blow out?

I am also concerned that the ball version (which seems to be all of them now) will just slide around with no control on tile.

The exhaust blows out to one side I believe and I've never had any issues with it pushing dirt and dog hair around while I'm trying to clean it up.  I use various attachments to get into hard-to-reach places and the main vacuum does just fine on bare floors.  You can turn the brush off as well which makes a big difference.

And the rotating-brush attachment is one of the best I've used.  The suction from the main vacuum pulls so much air through the attachment that the brush even spins on carpet.  I've used some branded attachments that have a spinning brush and the moment it touches anything you want to vacuum the brush stops.   saywhat  The Dyson brush will take off a finger.  It gets hair off of our furniture better than anything I've ever seen.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »

Actually, the pet hair brush thing is powered by the suction, and if you press it into your hand, it WILL stop... but it takes a bit of push to do it.

As for the "ball", even the cannister models have a ball; it's just under the powerhead.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »

So, I got my Dyson today, and it seems pretty impressive in my very limited testing. However, the other thing that seems very limited are the instruction manuals. Not really much to go by.

Can you change the height of the brush? It's not obvious if you can, and it's too high for the very thin carpet I have in my basement. The stuff has a lot of hair stuck in it, and it was having trouble. I was able to use an attachment that appeared to be for bare floors with a good deal of success - it may be that there is too much hair stuck to that carpet and I'll need to work it back to a normal state so I can start cleaning it more often.

Speaking of the attachments, what's what? I've got the bare floor thing, a smaller spinning brush (which can be turned on and off with a red plunger on the side) and then a fat black one with heavy brushes and some small wheels. I think there might be another, too.

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 03:09:06 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 22, 2009, 01:06:24 AM

So, I got my Dyson today, and it seems pretty impressive in my very limited testing. However, the other thing that seems very limited are the instruction manuals. Not really much to go by.

Can you change the height of the brush? It's not obvious if you can, and it's too high for the very thin carpet I have in my basement. The stuff has a lot of hair stuck in it, and it was having trouble. I was able to use an attachment that appeared to be for bare floors with a good deal of success - it may be that there is too much hair stuck to that carpet and I'll need to work it back to a normal state so I can start cleaning it more often.

Speaking of the attachments, what's what? I've got the bare floor thing, a smaller spinning brush (which can be turned on and off with a red plunger on the side) and then a fat black one with heavy brushes and some small wheels. I think there might be another, too.
DC 25 or 28? I own the 28 and the brush height setting as far as I know is non-existent. You adjust brush speed with the buttons near the power switch. Works really well on carpet and on tiled floors.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 04:45:52 AM »

This is the DC17.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:52 PM »

Well, I tried the basement rug again, and I don't know if it wasn't sitting right at the time or I just didn't give it enough time, but it worked a lot better. I think I needed to give the brush time to lift up a lot of the hair so it could then be collected. The hair is practically woven into the carpet in places.

I love the canister. I have a Bissel that front-loads the bin, and it sits below the filter. When you take it out for emptying, dust will always spill out. This one is bigger and you just lower it into a bag and press a button to open the trap door.

It seems that maybe the brush mechanism is somewhat spring-loaded so it raises and lowers as needed if you move from flat carpeting to a pile.

I do wish it had a headlight, and it seems odd that you have to step your foot on the front to lower it into vacuuming position. Every vacuum I've ever owned had a pedal for doing that.

Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 03:31:14 PM »

Dang and I thought this was gonna be a thread about actually vacuuming your pet lol. Anyone ever vacuumed a cat?? I have its painful  crybaby
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on December 23, 2009, 03:31:14 PM

Dang and I thought this was gonna be a thread about actually vacuuming your pet lol. Anyone ever vacuumed a cat?? I have its painful  crybaby

No, but here you can find a thread about cooking with cats.

In all seriousness, one of my cats is ok with the dusting tool... the "pet brush" from Dyson - notsomuch.

Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 04:25:48 PM »

Hehe ya I read that and was like WTF  retard

Must be a noise thing as my first cat doesnt like being blow dried either. Wife is allergic to cats so we tried the whole giving the cat a bath with this special shampoo..... So glad she doesnt have front claws... Our second cat hasnt been declawed and I decided to just let her be.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:28:27 PM by Mystic95Z » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on December 23, 2009, 04:25:48 PM

Hehe ya I read that and was like WTF  retard

Must be a noise thing as my first cat doesnt like being blow dried either. Wife is allergic to cats so we tried the whole giving the cat a bath with this special shampoo..... So glad she doesnt have front claws... Our second cat hasnt been declawed and I decided to just let her be.

Four words of advice:

Dopamine and hair trimmers.

Spoiler for Hiden:
When your wife comes to and is bald, her allergies will be the least of your worries. icon_twisted

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »

Bump it up.

Dyson guys, how are they holding up? My several year old Bissell is giving it up. We have a dog and a cat and your stories about How Much Dirt a Dyson can take out vs. anything else have me intrigued. Unfortunately, the price point is WAY too high for me.

Part of me is leaning towards it simply because of forum effect, and also because we are having new carpet put in the kids' room in the next few weeks. I look at a great vacuum as an investment for the carpet.

I'm not a fastidious 2x a week vacuumer, but at least a once a weeker. Pete, with your experience with the Bissell Pet Special, would it work out for a sporadic vacuumer? You seemed to really dig it until it fell apart under your extreme vacuuming regimen.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »

I had the Bissell Pet Eraser.  I am likely a low-to-moderate vacuumer.  The Eraser pretty much fell apart on me in short order.  The biggest issue is the slow but steady loss of suction as you use it.  It's got an indicator on the front that shows the "filter status" (essentially, how much suction you've got) and I was lucky to ever have it read over 50%.  Fuzz and gunk collected up around the filter where stuff came into the bin.  Unfortunately it wasn't built for you to get your hands up there and clean it, and I spent many an hour on the floor with a clothes hanger trying to clear it off so I could get some suction out of it.

Finally one day I sucked up a shoe lace into the floor roller, and it caused some belt to break, rendering the floor roller dead.  I said enough's enough and got myself a DC24.  Only had it about a month at this point but it's been a godsend.  Never seems to lose suction no matter what.  Super manueverable and really grabs everything the Bissell did and more from what I can tell. 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 11:16:46 AM »

My Dyson is going on 8 years old now, and it has just as much suction now as it did the day I bought it from what I can tell.  They only issue I run into, which I would have with any vacuum is that my wife sheds terribly and so I am constantly having to cut large masses of long hair off of the beater bar.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: