http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:00:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angelina Jolie gets a preventive double mastectomy  (Read 1329 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »

My Medical Choice

My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman.

Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65 percent risk of getting it, on average.

Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex.

Unnecessary mutilation or the future of medicine?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »

Brave.

But I hope people who follow in her footsteps fully research their chances of getting it (like she did) before doing it.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »

I also hope they get a second analysis before going forward with it. 

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »

I have a friend who was given the same advice based on genetic testing, and had a double mastectomy plus a hysterectomy at 35.  Extreme, no doubt.  

But if I had watched my mom die a slow painful death at a young age like she did, and there were good odds I would go the same way - I can't say I wouldn't take similar steps.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »

Having just completed a semester with a course entirely devoted to genetic testing and pharmacogenomics, I would suggest that medical treatment based upon an individual's genome is the way of the future, and not too terribly far away.  The mapping of the human genome has allowed for very specific genetic mutations clearly linked to certain medical maladies to be identified and addressed long before disease manifests.  It not only provides opportunities for preventative treatment, but also for individualized drug care (patients can be tested to determine responsiveness to certain medications, risk of severe adverse reactions, or the need for alternative considerations). 

Unfortunately the current testing industry requires a fair bit of regulation as well as properly trained medical professionals for accurate interpretation, not to mention better public education on what is being tested for, potential incidental findings (some genes are not only linked to medicinal effectiveness, but also increased likelihood of developing a serious illness), or what medical statistics mean, but the technology exists and allows for an amazing step forward in preemptive treatment.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:23:11 PM »

Hopefully they'll clear up most of the issues over the next 2-3 decades before we reach the point where we talk more about our medical problems than our work issues.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:43 PM »

Its extreme but if you have the genetic marker for it then it scary how high the chance of getting cancer is so I can respect a person doing it. Its their life.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:50:09 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this; I'll have to see her new boobs before I decide.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »

Not taking anything away from Angie,but did you guys see the tattooed Double Mastectomy girl a few weeks ago in all the papers?

The Huffington Post

Kelly Davidson,34 has survived Cancer 3 times,Hodgkin’s lymphoma at aged 11(My sister has had that),at 28 years old she got Breast Cancer,which lead to the double Mastectomy and at aged 32 she beat Thyroid Cancer

The pictures below are in spoilers,they are not shocking She actually looks great(especially in these circumstances),but they are in the spoilers just incase(Thinking maybe Family or friends of yours have had this done,and you don't need pictures splashed all over the page)

Spoiler for Hiden:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:46:09 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 01:48:52 AM »

she. has. no. NIPPLES!!!!!  eek eek eek eek

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 04:40:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2013, 11:50:09 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this; I'll have to see her new boobs before I decide.

I concur.  You know, for science.   SCIENCE!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 12:41:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2013, 01:48:52 AM

she. has. no. NIPPLES!!!!!  eek eek eek eek

That's how it works, they go with the breasts. My wife went through this about 12 years ago and had to make fun decisions like - Do I get implants? Do I get nipples? The former is painful as hell because they have to stretch out the muscle to put them under (sometimes moving muscle from other areas; back, stomach) no idea on the second as she decided no. They either 'rebuild' them from other tissue and/or tattoo them.

Well... interesting. I guess things can change on that when it is an elective surgery rather than cancer related.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:53:33 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »

Here's the alternate view.

Angelina Jolie's announcement of undergoing a double mastectomy (surgically removing both breasts) even though she had no breast cancer is not the innocent, spontaneous, "heroic choice" that has been portrayed in the mainstream media. Natural News has learned it all coincides with a well-timed for-profit corporate P.R. campaign that has been planned for months and just happens to coincide with the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court decision on the viability of the BRCA1 patent.

Angelina Jolie's announcement and all its carefully-crafted language had four notable immediate impacts:

1) It caused women everywhere to be terrified of breast cancer through the publishing of false statistics that drove fear into the hearts of anyone with breasts. (See below for explanation.)

2) It caused women to rush out and seek BRCA1 gene testing procedures. These tests just happen to be patented by a for-profit corporation called "Myriad Genetics." Because of this patent, BRCA1 tests can cost $3,000 - $4,000 each. The testing alone is a multi-billion-dollar market, but only if the patent is upheld in an upcoming Supreme Court decision (see below).

3) It caused the stock price of Myriad Genetics (MYGN) to skyrocket to a 52-week high. "Myriad's stock closed up 3% Tuesday, following the publication of the New York Times op-ed," wrote Marketwatch.com.

4) It drove public opinion to influence the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court decision to rule in favor of corporate ownership of human genes (see more below).

The fourth point is a bigger issue. Companies owning genes.

I know nothing about the source, but it would not surprise me in the least that this is all true.

That said, I'd like to give AJ the benefit of the doubt. Seems like she does good just to do good, not to get pub.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »

The source is biased against anything science has improved.  Pasteurization of milk was done to improve public health, as whole milk had been linked to tuberculosis outbreaks.  But they want to call our court system as corrupt because farmers that want to sell whole milk in violation of FDA rules designed to protect public health.  They also have issues with vaccinations.  They advocate the complete sovereignty of the individual over the use of science and the government doing what governments are meant to do, which is protect the public as a whole.  

They might come down on the same side as me on a few issues, but their wholesale rejection of science as "unnatural" and supporting that think they have the right to put others at risk because of "Freedom" means that I will never lend them any direct support.

And I discount the idea that public opinion has any bearing on Supreme Court decisions. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:54:47 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »

The portion about "owning genes" is also misleading.  Companies can patent gene sequences for diagnostic purposes, but those genes are not "owned" by the company.

There are definitely major issues with corporate ownership of gene sequence diagnostics, but to present the issue as "corporate ownership of human genes" is merely meant to be incendiary.  Also, BRCA1 testing ranges from $300 to $3000 depending on the extent of genetic mapping, so the cost point fits within the general costs of genetic testing which typically fall in the $200 to few thousand range.  Once again the author(s) has presented skewed information.  I'm not arguing in favor of corporate ownership or patenting of certain gene sequence diagnostics, but I am in favor of private research and technology.  The problem lies in appropriate regulation.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »

Natural News

Quote from: Wikipedia
Adams is an AIDS denialist, a 9/11 truther, a birther and endorses conspiracy theories surrounding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Wow, I wonder how he feels about the Holocaust.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »

There is not enough tin foil in the world to make hats for the people who run that site.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on May 17, 2013, 09:58:25 PM

Natural News

Quote from: Wikipedia
Adams is an AIDS denialist, a 9/11 truther, a birther and endorses conspiracy theories surrounding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Wow, I wonder how he feels about the Holocaust.

I don't see any sources cited for any of those claims in that wiki entry.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »

Well, there are these on his website.

Quote from: natural news
Today's "national IQ test," if you will, is whether people yet realize 9/11 was an inside job. To watch the WTC 7 building fall into its own footprint, demolition style, and somehow fail to grasp that this was a carefully-planned demolition job is just as idiotic as not being able to count how many times you jump rope.

They claim the birth certificate document is a fake. Why does that matter? But of course the document is a fake. It's not "merely" fake; it's so fake that the whole thing has become an IQ test for figuring out how many people can be so easily fooled by a fake

Conventional medicine's explanations of HIV and AIDS are a medical myth at best; and outright quackery at worst. There is no such thing as a virus that "causes" AIDS, since the very definition of AIDS is widely disputed by scientists around the world.

Of course, I don't know if he really believes the things he says, or if he just says them to make money off people who do.

On a side note, perhaps of interest only to me, is that he's coded his website to automatically include a link to the article any time you copy and paste from his site.  Anyone know how he did that?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »

That's becoming more and more common.  It grates on me a little, because I always cite my sources.  There are people selling the service, but if I were doing it, I'd be looking for to build my own code solution.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 17, 2013, 01:02:32 PM

Here's the alternate view.

Angelina Jolie's announcement of undergoing a double mastectomy (surgically removing both breasts) even though she had no breast cancer is not the innocent, spontaneous, "heroic choice" that has been portrayed in the mainstream media. Natural News has learned it all coincides with a well-timed for-profit corporate P.R. campaign that has been planned for months and just happens to coincide with the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court decision on the viability of the BRCA1 patent.

Angelina Jolie's announcement and all its carefully-crafted language had four notable immediate impacts:

1) It caused women everywhere to be terrified of breast cancer through the publishing of false statistics that drove fear into the hearts of anyone with breasts. (See below for explanation.)

2) It caused women to rush out and seek BRCA1 gene testing procedures. These tests just happen to be patented by a for-profit corporation called "Myriad Genetics." Because of this patent, BRCA1 tests can cost $3,000 - $4,000 each. The testing alone is a multi-billion-dollar market, but only if the patent is upheld in an upcoming Supreme Court decision (see below).

3) It caused the stock price of Myriad Genetics (MYGN) to skyrocket to a 52-week high. "Myriad's stock closed up 3% Tuesday, following the publication of the New York Times op-ed," wrote Marketwatch.com.

4) It drove public opinion to influence the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court decision to rule in favor of corporate ownership of human genes (see more below).

The fourth point is a bigger issue. Companies owning genes.

I know nothing about the source, but it would not surprise me in the least that this is all true.

That said, I'd like to give AJ the benefit of the doubt. Seems like she does good just to do good, not to get pub.

New evidence about the conspiracy:

Quote from: The Guardian
Angelina Jolie's aunt has died of breast cancer less than two weeks after the Hollywood actor revealed that she had undergone a double mastectomy to avoid the disease that killed her mother at 56.

Debbie Martin, 61, died in a hospital in Escondido, near San Diego, California, according to her husband, Ron. She was the younger sister of Jolie's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, whose death from ovarian cancer in 2007 prompted the actor to have the surgery she described in a New York Times article this month.

Is Angelina Jolie's well-documented family history of fatal cancers evidence of a hereditary predisposition towards fatal cancers, or is it a sinister multi-decade ruse concocted in order to herp derp derpy-derp daderp herp derp?  We may never know.

But like ATB says: Angelina Jolie seems like she's probably pretty nice.  Let's all give her the benefit of the doubt...for now.

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »

Conspiracy update:

Quote from: NBC News
The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Thursday that companies cannot patent human genes, a decision that patient advocates said would increase competition and lower the cost of screenings for cancer risk and other genetic tests.

DNA is “a product of nature and not patent eligible merely because it has been isolated,” the court said. In something of a compromise, it ruled that genetic material created in laboratories is eligible for patent protection.

The case centered on a Salt Lake City company called Myriad Genetics that was granted patents for isolating two human genes, known as BRCA1 and BRCA2, that indicate a higher risk of breast and ovarian cancer. The company now markets tests for those genes.

BRCA1 is the gene carried by actress Angelina Jolie, who determined after a test that she was at higher risk of developing breast cancer and chose to have a double mastectomy. Jolie herself said that the cost of screening — more than $3,000 in the United States — was an obstacle for most women.

-Autistic Angel
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »

SCOTUS makes a decision that that makes sense. Amazing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: