http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:02:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andromeda Strain Remake on A&E  (Read 948 times)
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »

So, who's watching? I remember the original quite clearly, and I think they did a really good job with this remake. They didn't wreck it like most movies/remakes would. Instead, it's a testament to how good a story it is, standing the test of time, if the pacing and story is kept the same without much meddling, save for a few modern references. It's pretty much intact. I'd recommend it for those who passed on it.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »

I've only watched the first part, but I've been really disappointed.  I thought they made WAY too many changes.   now granted, i haven't read the book in years, but I don't recall some of the following changes:

Spoiler for Hiden:

1) the government pulled andromeda from a freakin' wormhole??
2) the goofy ass corrupt government subplot
3) the investigative reporter subplot is just cliched and ridiculous, imho.

the original movie is one of my favorite late night movie pleasures, so this "re imagining" is just grating on me at this point.  they tried to make it a jerry bruckheimer film.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 28, 2008, 07:51:02 PM

I've only watched the first part, but I've been really disappointed.  I thought they made WAY too many changes.   now granted, i haven't read the book in years, but I don't recall some of the following changes:

Spoiler for Hiden:

1) the government pulled andromeda from a freakin' wormhole??
2) the goofy ass corrupt government subplot
3) the investigative reporter subplot is just cliched and ridiculous, imho.

the original movie is one of my favorite late night movie pleasures, so this "re imagining" is just grating on me at this point.  they tried to make it a jerry bruckheimer film.

+1
I thought the subplots, the origin of Andromeda, and the end were blah. I still enjoyed the movie somewhat despite those changes but I can watch the original over and over and I have, but this new version, once was enough.

Roll Tide!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »

Color me sorely disappointed.

The changes in the story were for the worse.  The overtly liberal "save the planet, rah-rah" didn't really fit in with the movie.  The performances were pretty dull as well - there really wasn't a likable character in the bunch.

Really lousy execution to a great premise.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:52:48 PM »

I decided to skip it and wait for it to come out on DVD, which is does next week.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:26:41 PM »

I enjoyed it, though I haven't seen the original movie since it came out, and can't remember if I read the book, so that helps.  It was all the bad things you are all saying, but there was nothing else on when I watched it, and it had just enough drama and suspense to keep me watching.

Not exactly high praise, and I'd definitely not watch it again, but it was okay.  Also, I was judging it by tv-movie standards...  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:30 PM »

This deserves the MST 3000 treatment. The last 30 or 40 minutes of the show were fucking hilarious.
Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »

Quote from: dmd on May 28, 2008, 09:28:30 PM

This deserves the MST 3000 treatment. The last 30 or 40 minutes of the show were fucking hilarious.

+1

My wife and I really enjoyed the first 2 hours. So much so that we both mentioned during the day that we were looking forward to the second part. The 3rd hour was ok but we were disappointed by the last hour. They pulled a lot of old cliches out of their bag of stale tricks for the climax. Overall we came away disappointed because of the ending.

End of line.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:09:36 PM »

I've watched the first two hours so far. I never saw the original or read the book, and I think it's interesting enough to watch the second part sometime.

The slow motion decontamination shower scene was hysterical.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:15:15 PM »

I'm on the last hour.

Huge fan of the original.

I like the updated bits and for the most part they are true to the big picture.  But, why is it always the one man running the shadow government conspiracy stuff?  Meh....

Also, for some reason I really took offense to the reporter being a drug addict...I thought he was just a typical drunk (I can deal with that) but I just felt that it was inappropriate to make him a drug addict...eh, not sure but it really just rubbed me the wrong way.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:54:38 AM »

Quote from: Moat_Man on May 28, 2008, 10:15:52 PM

My wife and I really enjoyed the first 2 hours. So much so that we both mentioned during the day that we were looking forward to the second part. The 3rd hour was ok but we were disappointed by the last hour.

I've seen plenty of made-for-tv mini-series where the first part is excellent, but everything after that just sucks.  I think I'm going to start just watching the first part of any new and interesting looking mini-series and then not bother to follow it up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: