http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 05:09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android App/Game Recommendations Thread  (Read 4223 times)
SkyLander
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 20, 2011, 05:40:52 PM

BTW the Nexus S is awesome if anyone is looking for a good smartphone. It was only released in Canada two weeks ago so people have been going gaga over my phone when they see me pull it out. It's nice to feel like you own the new hotness, even if for a little while.

Bask in the true google phone. Frequent updates, you don't have any carrier bullshit, nothing preloaded. Totally, easily unlockable bootloader and access to some of the bets ROMs. MIUI is a good rom as well as cyanogen, it's so painless to get that going and switch roms since everything is backed up to google. Only reason I am holding onto my Nexus One for probably another year. Then my wife and I will probably jump to the latest true google phone.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »

Holy shit Swype just changed my life.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 27, 2011, 03:25:54 PM

Holy shit Swype just changed my life.

I can Swype with a single finger. It's just that good.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »

Hit the Amazon App Store today. Pick up the ordinarily $5 Business Calendar App for free. It is worth owning.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2011, 04:03:20 AM »

The Amazon App Store had Majesty as their free app for today.  I think CK needs to get an Android phone so that he can update a thread about the free app of the day.  slywink

I agree that Swype is pretty damn awesome.  I would also say that sending an email or text message dictated entirely by voice is pretty fricking cool too.

I just got my Nexus S a couple months ago, so I'm glad to see there are a few other Android users around.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 29, 2011, 04:03:20 AM

The Amazon App Store had Majesty as their free app for today.  I think CK needs to get an Android phone so that he can update a thread about the free app of the day.  slywink

I agree that Swype is pretty damn awesome.  I would also say that sending an email or text message dictated entirely by voice is pretty fricking cool too.

I just got my Nexus S a couple months ago, so I'm glad to see there are a few other Android users around.

Whoo, a fellow Nexus S owner! *bumps phones*
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »

Netflix Officially Available on Android!

the catch is that it only works with certain phones right now (and the list is very small), but they're working on increasing that list.  i just downloaded the app for my Evo4G and it works great.  they've included access to your Instant Queue, resuming of videos you started watching on other devices, and the ability to search their streaming library and add titles to your queue.  the only thing missing right now is the ability to add non-streaming titles to your DVD queue, but i can understand why that feature isn't a priority. 

as for the streaming itself, i brought up a movie from my queue and had it streaming over wifi in a matter of seconds...video quality is pretty impressive, and audio is crystal clear.  i've also done streaming over 3G, and while there is a expected decrease in quality (which is still pretty good), it still starts streaming quickly and didn't have any hiccups during my test.  overall, it looks like they've done a great job. 

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »

Yay, the Nexus S is on that short list!  I couldn't find it from my phone marketplace, but the website link worked.  The quality is much much better than what I saw when testing PlayOn Mobile.  I haven't watched video that poor since the bands got broad.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 12, 2011, 08:36:39 PM

Netflix Officially Available on Android!

the catch is that it only works with certain phones right now (and the list is very small), but they're working on increasing that list.  i just downloaded the app for my Evo4G and it works great.  they've included access to your Instant Queue, resuming of videos you started watching on other devices, and the ability to search their streaming library and add titles to your queue.  the only thing missing right now is the ability to add non-streaming titles to your DVD queue, but i can understand why that feature isn't a priority. 

as for the streaming itself, i brought up a movie from my queue and had it streaming over wifi in a matter of seconds...video quality is pretty impressive, and audio is crystal clear.  i've also done streaming over 3G, and while there is a expected decrease in quality (which is still pretty good), it still starts streaming quickly and didn't have any hiccups during my test.  overall, it looks like they've done a great job. 

I'm wondering - does the app support subtitles?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on May 12, 2011, 08:49:40 PM

It does seem to for movies that "natively" have subtitles, but I'm not sure how to do it for "normal" movies.  For instance, I tried playing a Swedish movie and it automatically had subtitles up, but trying to play US/English movies and TV shows and saw no options for turning them on.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 12, 2011, 09:07:09 PM

Quote from: ravenvii on May 12, 2011, 08:49:40 PM

It does seem to for movies that "natively" have subtitles, but I'm not sure how to do it for "normal" movies.  For instance, I tried playing a Swedish movie and it automatically had subtitles up, but trying to play US/English movies and TV shows and saw no options for turning them on.

"native" subtitles are burned into the video, so they will show up no matter what.

Check the settings, etc? Try a movie that does have subtitles (a random one out of my head is Groundhog Day - awesome movie, and it has subtitles).

EDIT: Speak of the devil - I suddenly no longer care. An update to the Netflix app on the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad today brought support for subtitles. YES!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:38:32 PM by ravenvii » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2011, 09:39:55 PM »

As far as I can tell there is no way to pull up any sort of settings, either in the movie or globally for the app.  The menu key is disabled both in the app and while in a movie.  The only thing you can do in the movie is touch the screen to hit Pause/Play or scrub to a time of the movie, exit out with back or go Home.  I even turned down the media volume on my phone until it was off thinking it might auto-detect that, but no go.

EDIT:
EDIT: Speak of the devil - I suddenly no longer care. An update to the Netflix app on the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad today brought support for subtitles. YES!!!
Bah!  Tongue

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »

Awww, no Thunderbolt support frown

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2011, 12:55:10 AM »

For anyone looking for a great Android game, Game Dev Story is absolutely fantastic. I've put five hours into it already. Best game I've found for the platform so far (besides angry birds, of course slywink ).
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2011, 01:05:30 AM »

I totally agree with Game Dev Story.  It is a very well crafted game, with a goal always shortly in front of you and something new to do so you always say "just a few more minutes".

I was skeptical at first but after enough goading by friends I bought it and the first night I got that I stayed up until 3am playing, which I haven't done for a game in ages.  Then I continued to play it the next day and the next...  smile

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »

There is always another carrot to reach for. I was getting bored but then the option to create sequels opened up. But I needed a Hall of Fame game first. So I kept playing. Then the option to make my own console was introduced. But I don't have a Hardware Engineer. And I'm still trying to win the elusive "game of the year" award. I've been runner-up twice. Currently in Year 14 so I have 11 years to reach that goal still.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:45 PM »

Great thread guys, lots of good apps.  Any new games worth a mention?  I notice most of this thread is fairly old.  Working with a Samsung Charge and whatever latest version of Android its up to now.  Thanks.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2011, 10:03:49 PM »

Gamewise I've been playing Can Knockdown when I need something in short bursts, and I recently started playing the SF RPG called Cyberlords.  I dig it a lot so far.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hg.cyberlords&feature=top-paid

I have heard great things about Jet Car Stunts:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.trueaxis.jetcarstunts&feature=top-paid

Finally, I have also been playing and can highly recommend Air Attack HD
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ArtInGames.AirAttackHD

Wake up.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2011, 02:43:44 AM »

I am hooked on Home Run Battle 3D. Lots of fun.

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »

Words With Friends

http://www.wordswithfriends.com/

It's a scrabble type game that you can play against friends or randoms.  If you are looking for someone to play against, search for me, WalkingFumble.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »

So I'm almost ready to join the fold.  The Motorola Photon is released today.  I opted to get mine shipped from Amazon to save a few bucks.  I should have it by Wednesday.  I've been browsing the thread and jotting down some apps to get started.  I'm sure I missed some in my skimming.  I thought I'd ask about a few things.

Are podcasts managed natively or through an app.  Is Google listen any good?  I've got some free and a few subscription podcasts I'd like to update over the air when I'm not on wifi.

I need a good jogging/biking app that uses GPS to do speed, distance, and maps the route.  I had a decent one on my pre.  I'm sure there's a better one on android.

I could also use a budgeting program to keep track of my spending by category.  Again I have something on the pre, any recommendations?

Apparently the tegra 2 has some exclusive games.  Are any of them good/must haves?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2011, 02:43:23 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on August 01, 2011, 01:53:11 AM

Apparently the tegra 2 has some exclusive games.  Are any of them good/must haves?

Galaxy on Fire 2 THD is nice for Tegra2, it's free up to a certain point then you have to pay $15 to unlock the rest of the game.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on August 01, 2011, 01:53:11 AM

Are podcasts managed natively or through an app.  Is Google listen any good?  I've got some free and a few subscription podcasts I'd like to update over the air when I'm not on wifi.

Google Listen is kind of ok, but if you think you might ever need a feature like pause/resume on in progress downloads or other things like it... well they're not there. Listen works, but it's incredibly basic. It's also no longer in development or supported by Google as far as I know.

I ended up just paying a few bucks for Doggcatcher and have been completely happy ever since.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2011, 05:25:49 AM »

I'm still messing around and figuring things out.  I did find the nvidia tegra zone app.  I was pleased to see there that Zen Pinball will be coming soon.  Since I love Pinball FX2 and Zen Pinball on consoles, that will be great.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

Anyone use an app called Lookout? It seems like a good tool to scan for malware along with other features like data backup and finding a lost phone.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »

I was reading this article.  They recommend Lookout or AVG.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »

I might have found the best food app out there for those looking for a program to help with dieting and tracking meals and exercise. The app is called Calorie Count.

Not only does it have an extensive list of most of your common brand foods you buy daily. It also includes quite a few popular restaurants with calorie breakdowns.

But what I find amazing is you can just barcode scan any food you eat and it adds it to your list, with complete nutrition info.

This is a must have app.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2011, 08:38:56 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on August 21, 2011, 06:50:31 PM

I might have found the best food app out there for those looking for a program to help with dieting and tracking meals and exercise. The app is called Calorie Count.

Not only does it have an extensive list of most of your common brand foods you buy daily. It also includes quite a few popular restaurants with calorie breakdowns.

But what I find amazing is you can just barcode scan any food you eat and it adds it to your list, with complete nutrition info.

This is a must have app.

I have a similar app called MyNetDiary Calorie Counter Pro, which has the added benefit of allowing users to upload their own barcode scanned information, so that even things like regional or store brand foods are in there or you can enter them yourself.  It also tracks weight and exercise, and you can set a target weight for a date to get a daily calorie budget and see a graph of your progress over time.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »

That looks like the exact same thing as Calorie Counter but the Pro version. Might be worth it to get the user added items.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on August 22, 2011, 12:36:48 AM

That looks like the exact same thing as Calorie Counter but the Pro version. Might be worth it to get the user added items.

Yeah, wasn't sure which program you were talking about, as there are a ton of things named variations of "Calorie Count" (over 300 apps from a quick search on the marketplace).  The one I'm using ties in to this site, for what it is worth.  I think the Pro version was $3 or $4 and very worth it in my opinion, though I'm sure there are several that have similar features.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2011, 12:57:16 AM »

Nope its not the same product.    I'm gonna give Calorie Counter a week or so and see how i like it since it's free.   It has the same exercise data and charts that i see MyNetDiary has.   The food database is what interests me the most.    So far the Calorie Counter is a snap.    I've scanned all my food that has a barcode in seconds.   The other things like meats and fruits was quick as well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:59:41 AM by Xmann » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »

arise!

planning for the future- what is the best way to sync iTunes with an Android phone nowadays (or even a replacement)?  I've heard about DoubleTwist and isyncr, any preferences for either one, or is there something better?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2012, 02:21:18 AM »

I prefer WinAmp over doubletwist.  Both work well though.

Wake up.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2012, 04:02:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2012, 09:24:45 PM

arise!

planning for the future- what is the best way to sync iTunes with an Android phone nowadays (or even a replacement)?  I've heard about DoubleTwist and isyncr, any preferences for either one, or is there something better?

isyncr works surprisingly well. I've used it to move a couple of hundred tracks from itunes to my Galaxy s3 on both USB and wirelessly. It was very much worth a couple of bucks.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: