http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Idiot Abroad  (Read 744 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:17:30 AM »

So, my wife and I just watched the episode that aired on Saturday on The Science Channel.

My wife and I have not laughed this hard in a long time.

http://science.discovery.com/tv/an-idiot-abroad/

Anyone else watching this and enjoying it?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:11:06 AM »

The intro show was high comedy.  The first episode in China was good, but it wasn't quite a laugh a minute.  Still, it's on the program to record the whole thing, and I plan on riding it out.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:18 AM »

My wife and I watched the intro episode and the China episode.   I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.   Very funny stuff. Karl is hilarious.   
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03:40 PM »

Karla you mean!

icon_biggrin

I just have to wonder, is it all an act or is the show really unscripted.  If it is scripted, they did a great job of writing the part, if it is unscripted, Karl is just flat out "brilliant".

"The great wall really isn't all that great now is it...it is more like the mediocre wall.  Sure you can see it for miles, but you can see the m6 for miles as well...you can even drive on the m6 so it has a use."

The end of the episode had me holding my side from laughing so hard when Karl was talking about how the Great Wall just ended at the ocean...

"The enemy could just take off their shoes, roll up their pants and walk around it.  It isn't exactly stopping anyone now is it?"
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:49:04 PM »

I wondered about how unscripted this actually was as well.  It sounds like they were accused of creating his persona for their radio show.  I guess, like in the opening episode, he is the straight man for the gags.  They swear that it is just him and it is all real.   Ricky Gervais said he was the funniest man in the UK.   Either way, scripted or unscripted,  I'll be watching the rest of the series.  icon_biggrin
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »

I'd been thinking about getting this on disc from Amazon UK.  Seems like an odd fit for the Science Channel, but I'm really glad this made it to the US.  Karl is frigging hillarious.  He does seem to be playing to the audience a bit more than he does on the Gervais podcasts, but that's fine with me.   I'm really looking forward to the next episode.  thumbsup

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »

its been aired for awhile here in the UK on Sky1,but i haven't caught an episode yet

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »

Well, I set the dvr for the india episode tonight, and china during the week.  Which episode was the premier/intro episode?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »

Hmmm... I've never even heard of the show but I may not get the Science Channel.  Ricky Gervais is one of my favorite comics - for living ones, I'd say he's tied for first place with Lewis Black.  If he thinks someone's funny, that's good enough for me.

Other than Kadnod, are all of you blokes (or blokesses) talking about programming originally from BBC?  I did notice a few references in the thread that tipped me off that it was likely a UK product, like m6 and everyone knowing who "Karl" is.  I'm a little slow, but I think I can assume that is Karl Pilkington... who is not very well known here (USA) I think, unless it's a generational thing.  But enough about Karl, gotta go!

/scrambles off to run a DVR search
.   icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on January 29, 2011, 07:14:46 PM

Well, I set the dvr for the india episode tonight, and china during the week.  Which episode was the premier/intro episode?

according to Wiki, the China one is the first.  I found the bits on the shows website funny, but it felt a bit scripted to me.  funny coincidence though:  just last night I caught the Gervais animated show on HBO, didn't realize it existed.

Myto, it is that Karl.  if you don't have the Science channel I imagine it'll be out on DVD eventually.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2011, 08:27:46 PM

according to Wiki, the China one is the first.  I found the bits on the shows website funny, but it felt a bit scripted to me.  funny coincidence though:  just last night I caught the Gervais animated show on HBO, didn't realize it existed.

Myto, it is that Karl.  if you don't have the Science channel I imagine it'll be out on DVD eventually.

Thanks, that may be the way I'll have to go then - we have the Discovery Channel, but not the Science Channel.  At least I have Ricky, Steve, and Karl on their podcast-turned-animated-series; we aren't totally backward, we do have HBO.  "The Ricky Gervais Show" is there on Friday nights at 9PM Eastern U.S. time.

Fans should check rickygervais.com - there are some other sources for all things Ricky, including a free podcast on iTunes and lots on Steve and Karl, too.  I'm still looking at the site for any rumors of An Idiot Abroad coming to HBO or DVD.   paranoid

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on January 29, 2011, 09:09:53 PM

I'm still looking at the site for any rumors of An Idiot Abroad coming to HBO or DVD.   paranoid

looking around, the show ended on November 11th in the UK, and their DVD set was released on the 15th.  Knowing that I'm guessing that the DVD series should be released sometime in March in the US.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:28:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2011, 08:27:46 PM

Thanks!
Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: