http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 09:13:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Apology for Battlefield Earth  (Read 1010 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »

finally!  at long last we can rest easily knowing at least some of the parties responsible for the debacle know as Battlefield Earth have admitted their mistakes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »

Loved the article.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »

That guy is my hero. I really need to re-watch that movie, the first time I saw it I went in thinking it was going to be the worst movie ever, and I came away thinking it wasn't good, but far from the worst. That was several years ago, I need to go back and see how wrong I was.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »

That is a great article.  I didn't know he was the Men in Tights writer.  Much respect for him going on about that, especially given the amount of flack the scientologists are suposedly able to bring to bear.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:08 PM »

Good piece.  I think some of the guys attempts at being "funny" are a little off-the-mark and adding some of his other screen-writing credits, I have to wonder how good his original script was.  Still, good of him to own the bad.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »

It's not so much an apology as a shifting of the blame. But its funny.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »

Did he really own up to anything? As I see it, he basically says, that the camp with Scientology in it rewrote his script, making it bad.

A new one
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »

I never subjected myself to that movie because of how bad I heard it was.  smile  Maybe I should check it out.  Is it like Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus bad or more like Transformers 2 bad? 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on March 29, 2010, 04:13:35 PM

I never subjected myself to that movie because of how bad I heard it was.  smile  Maybe I should check it out.  Is it like Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus bad or more like Transformers 2 bad? 

It's not campy bad, it's just bad because it has such a huge budget and yet it still sucks. If the Mega Shark people had the same budget their movie would most likely be much better than Battlefield Earth.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 29, 2010, 02:22:09 PM

That guy is my hero. I really need to re-watch that movie, the first time I saw it I went in thinking it was going to be the worst movie ever, and I came away thinking it wasn't good, but far from the worst. That was several years ago, I need to go back and see how wrong I was.

it was on HBO or Starz a couple of weeks ago, and not wanting to see yet another re-run of Spartacus I put it on as background noise.

I'm still having nightmares  crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on March 29, 2010, 04:13:35 PM

Transformers 2 wasn't bad - it was a bad MOVIE.

It was a fantastic COMMERCIAL.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »

I think it is mesmerizingly bad.  The book, though, is no better.....as i read it i kept thinking "this is really a poorly written and very stupid book", finished it but had no interest in anything else L Ron Hubbard touched
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 29, 2010, 05:12:52 PM

I think it is mesmerizingly bad.  The book, though, is no better.....as i read it i kept thinking "this is really a poorly written and very stupid book", finished it but had no interest in anything else L Ron Hubbard touched
Wow. I found the book to be terrific. It's one of my favorite science fiction novels. There was no Scientology in the book at all, it's a straight action adventure. I can't help but wonder if they'd stuck to the best parts of the book and left out the goofy crap John Travolta wanted, if it might not have been a decent film.

Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on March 29, 2010, 05:22:27 PM

Wow. I found the book to be terrific. It's one of my favorite science fiction novels. There was no Scientology in the book at all, it's a straight action adventure. I can't help but wonder if they'd stuck to the best parts of the book and left out the goofy crap John Travolta wanted, if it might not have been a decent film.
       I'd read the book in High School.    One of the biggest differences  If I remember correctly, was that the  alien Psychlo in the book were green furred Kzinti like creatures,  while in the movie they'd been turned into Rastafarian Klingon knock-offs,  stumbling around on stilts,  played by Travolta and an extremely embarassed looking Forrest Whittaker.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on March 29, 2010, 05:22:27 PM

I agree. I loved the book. There were some messages in there,  more about overall morality than anything else. Nothing that made me run off and join OMGACULT. I stayed away from the movie because of the reviews preferring to remember the book as it was.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »

you guys loved the book?  Really?  I kept comparing it to Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke and it didn't hold up well.  I read it in my late 20s-earl 30s maybe that's why.  But the story was pedestrian, the characters not really developed in my opinion.  Early Heinlein is a little rough around the edges but I always appreciated his characters and his settings...and that he didn't take himself all that seriously.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »

Not a huge fan of the book either. I had someone suggest to me it was a great book but didn't sit down to read it until I heard they were going to make a movie out of it. It wasn't a horrible book. I'd say its good but I can never see myself re-reading it.

The movie was bad but not Wing Commander bad. I at least go through the whole thing.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »

Think of the "Star Wars" sagas, and "Raiders of the Lost Ark," mix in the triumph of "Rocky I," "Rocky II" and "Rocky III" and you have captured the exhuberance, style and glory of "Battlefield Earth." -- Baltimore Evening Sun, November 14, 1982

When I read it I knew nothing about Scientology but it was a slog to get through 800 pages.

I just read Live Free or Die by John Ringo and I would consider it to be far superior in every way to BFE.  Same general topic but a much better story, better writing and more real imo...and I think Ringo is just an okay author...sometimes bad, sometimes very suprising.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »

I somewhat enjoyed the book as well, but only the first half. The second half is junk.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »

Now if only we could get Ron Hubbard to apologize for Scientology.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on March 29, 2010, 09:13:06 PM

Now if only we could get Ron Hubbard to apologize for Scientology.

Haven't you seen Life of Brian? It would only make people believe in Scientology even more. slywink
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 12:05:49 AM »

apologize?  He and Heinlein have to laughing their asses off.  That would be the Hubbard before his brain went bye bye.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 04:02:30 AM »

I've never understood how that movie got made the way it did, and that article really doesn't shed a lot of light on that.  While not a great book, it's not the worst thing ever either and there was an interesting premise there to work with.  Why Travolta and co. wanted to make it into something different escapes me.  Unless that really was Hubbard's "vision," but that seems pretty unlikely to me.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 05:37:49 AM »

I've liked the book since I was a little kid.  It's not great lit, but it's decent pulp-ish sci-fi.  I always liked the turn it took halfway through.  Basically, the humans blow up the death star at the end of Jedi, and instead of ending, the book goes on to answer "what now?" 

Like I always say when comparisons to the movie are made, basically everything that was wrong with the movie was a huge change from the book.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:06 AM »

"Stooopid humans"... don't you know a B-rate Sci-Fi masterpiece when you see it!  icon_twisted
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »

I take Battlefield Earth which is his "masterpiece" and compare it to Dune, Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Land, Martian Chronicles and other "masterpieces" of sci-fi and it just didn't do it for me.

I enjoy watching parts of the movie when it is on...in fascination and awe of it's awfulness.  I can marvel at it's wretchedness without getting tired....unlike trying to watch the excrement that is the remake of Planet of the Apes, it is just too foul to see ever again
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:17:08 PM by Jaddison » Logged
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 01:46:39 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 30, 2010, 05:37:49 AM

I've liked the book since I was a little kid.  It's not great lit, but it's decent pulp-ish sci-fi.  I always liked the turn it took halfway through.  Basically, the humans blow up the death star at the end of Jedi, and instead of ending, the book goes on to answer "what now?" 

That's kind of my take on the book. I read it when I was pretty young and basically had only read Dragonlance up that point. It was an interesting, pulpy sci-fi story. I wouldn't equate it with Dune or Tolkien though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: