http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:45:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol 2011  (Read 6022 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on April 23, 2011, 03:37:14 PM

My guess for the order of elimenation is:

Lauren
Jacob
Casey
Haley
Scotty

I'd pick
Jacob (please please please America I beg you!)
Haley (not that I want her to go but too many B3 appearances to hope for more)
Casey
Lauren
James
and Scotty as the winner.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »

I hope Jacob is voted off next.  I cannot stomach him. 

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Go Gunners...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2011, 02:37:51 AM »

For the first time, I enjoyed Stefano's performance. frown I think if he had kept more up-tempo he'd still be around.

Also, I think Lusk should have gone home this week. I also think that Pia should still be there, and Lauren should be gone.

Lastly, I think Scotty needs to learn to sing with his head held high. That's the biggest problem with his pose. It's funny when he keeps switching angle- he looks like he's eating a corndog.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2011, 02:38:12 AM »

Oh, and James rocks - he really is amazing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 24, 2011, 02:38:12 AM

I liked James this week but that was about it.  Haley was good I guess.  The duets were kind of horrible, though I am kind of a sucker for the Haley/Casey romance.

No idea who goes tonight, maybe Jacob.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2011, 01:22:41 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 24, 2011, 02:38:12 AM

He did really well last night. His acapella at the start was really awesome. The rest of the performance did not quite live up to that first part, but still very solid and my fav of the night by far.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »

And out goes the growling bear. Casey get eliminated, as Jimmy Iovine takes a shot at him in the pre-taped critique, bagging on his habit of growling through his songs.

I liked Casey in the beginning but was really put off by the growling. It's a shame really because he has a great jazz style voice and when he dials things back he sounds great. I think his version of Nature Boy a couple of weeks ago was his best performance of the season.

Crystal Bowersox, runner up from last season, looks EXACTLY like she did a year ago. She even brought her funky looking microphone stand with the bong bubble.

Now we are down to:

Jacob
Alaina
Hailey
Scotty
James

IMO, I think James will win this season. Second place is a toss up between Scotty, Hailey, and Alaina. I would guess that unless Jacob has a god-like moment next week, he will be the next to go.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »

I was surprised to see Scotty in the bottom 3 (and even 2?) - no doubt his fanbase will re-assemble next week.  But that means he's weaker than I thought.  I agree Jacob should be next, then probably Haley.

So maybe the final will be Alaina vs. James, with James winning as a "make up" win for Adam losing.  Let's face it, he's essentially Adam but with more ticks and less style - but most importantly, he's straight (I think).  I'm not making fun of his ticks btw, it's just the eye squinting drives me nuts because it sets off my own eye tick from 20 years ago.  In fact just talking about it makes me start doing it.  Damn you James!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »

Well, James is married and has a kid, so I would say it's a safe guess he is straight. icon_smile

If it comes down to Alaina vs. James in the final, there isn't going to be much of a competition. James should win by a landslide. I think Scotty would give James more of a battle. Even then though, it requires certain conditions to set it up. For Alaina to make it to the finals, she HAS to get over her mental fears about failure and really take some risks. Scotty absolutely cannot have any more "safe" performances which will bore people. Hailey can possibly make it if she has a bunch of incredible performances, which means song choice for her is more important than any of the other contestants.

After Jacob goes, it's going to be a real dogfight to see who gets the right to lose to James in the finals. icon_razz
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2011, 01:18:16 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 29, 2011, 06:35:22 PM

I was surprised to see Scotty in the bottom 3 (and even 2?) - no doubt his fanbase will re-assemble next week.  But that means he's weaker than I thought. 

Actually Ryan said approximately a dozen times that the results were in random order.  Scotty might have been in the bottom two, but he was probably just there to add to the drama.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »

Ok, that had to be the most off the judges were the entire season with their critiques.

James - His first song was way overpraised. Honestly I thought that was the worst he's sounded and performed the entire season. The second song was better but not that great either. The emotional thing was a bit much. He's still safe.

Jacob - Pretty bad in both songs. The judges spent the most time commenting on his initial performance and their comments were all over the place. Do they really think he has a chance to win?

Lauren - Entertaining first song. Lauren really seemed to be trying to work the crowd and the stage. But it seemed so forced to me. I don't think this was any fault of her own. It seemed like every contestant tonight was told to make a moment, work the crowd, work the stage. It came off a bit desperate with all the jaunts into the crowds and bunch of people on stage. It just came off like they weren't being themselves. Her second song was just ok too.

Scotty - Really tried working the crowd that first song. Vocals suffered due to it but honestly if he stood there and made a few browsies at the camera it probably would have still been a pretty mediocre delivery. Second Elvis song was also mediocre. The wife who is big in to country, Elvis, and Scotty hated it. So there's that.

Haley - Judges tore Haley up for doing the unreleased GaGa song. I don't get why thats bad. If she sings it wells and the song is good who cares? And she sung it very well and the song was not bad (maybe that's why Lady Gaga is performing it at all her shows???). Hell it was sung 100% better than any of the previous songs and had a lot more complexity to it. Haley was right to give the FU hand on hip look to the judges. Her second song was great and the heap of praise from the judges seemed so fake. I can understand while Haley seems confused and looks like she doesn't care anymore when it comes to the judges critiques. I'm there too.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »

Totally agree. This was the most way off the judges have been this season.

As much as I like James, and I still think he will win this season, last night was his weakest effort by far. His voice was all over the place, and I don't care how heartfelt his emotions were on the second song. Any time a contestant has a mini-emotional moment on a show like AI, it smacks of vote grabbing pandering.

Jacob was flat out TERRIBLE in every way. The voice was shrilly and off key. His stage presence was cheesy. Please get voted off tonight. I cannot take any more of him.

Lauren once again was just okay. But just okay comes off as boring and forgettable. If not Jacob, I think Alaina will be next to go.

Scotty was okay. First song was better than the second. His Elvis song was simply boring, even for him.

Haley I feel sorry for because she seems to be the one that the judges are confusing the most. I didn't think the GaGa song was that bad. So what if it's not a well known song. She sang it well and certainly sounded better than most of the others. Second song was by far the best performance of the show. Given the right song choice, she has a really interesting sound that is quite unusual.

I am hoping Jacob gets put out of his misery tonight although I would not be surprised if it is Lauren.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »

After watching The Voice it just feels like the male AI contestants seem worse and worse, ditto on the "judges".  Haley and Lauren seem to be getting better (for me), Haley in particular.  I've pretty much decided to just skip through the judge comments because they just annoy the hell out of me.  Agree that it's time for Jacob to go, he was absolutely horrible last night.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2011, 02:02:54 AM »

I also thought James was horrible this week. Off key most of the time for both songs.
Lauren I felt did ok on the first song, but you could tell it was tough on her as she really struggled at the end of most phrases. 2nd song was pretty boring. Still really dislike her personality.
Scotty was a boring as ever for me.
Jacob was his usual self, but I thought he did better on the 2nd song up until the end where he faltered in a few spots.
I agree with you guys that the judges were wrong to slam Haley on the first song choice. I thought it was pretty good and enjoyed it. I like hearing stuff I don't know. I thought she did well the 2nd song too (maybe not as well as the judges and some folks seemed to think). I still remember when Siobhan Magnus sang it last year and just owned it.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »

As we get down to the wire, this season continues to irritate me more and more.  The show seems to be less and less about singing and more and more about showmanship, cheap theatrics and manipulation - does every song need really need a fireworks finale?  Scotty sings a 9/11 tune and Lauren a storm survivor one.  Ummm, really guys?  OK sure it's strategic but come on, talk about cheap ways to manipulate the audience.  Scotty's second song was hilarious, his "dancing" was just a joke and kind of... weird.  James I'm just tired of his theatrics and screaming.  He's a good screamer but would you really want to buy something he recorded?

It's pretty clear who the judges want to go tonight (and likely will) - Haley.  Ironically I thought the best performance of the night was her FIRST one, the one that got skewered by the judges.  I thought she was just so raw and so into it, I loved her energy and I thought she sounded great, maybe it was just me, Casey and Steven Tyler, I dunno.  It reminded me of the raw energy of the final performance on this week's The Voice by Vicki something, she was just so into it she didn't even realize she was literally jumping up and down.  And then?  They shift her positioning (who knows why) and then compliment her on the second song for being more "crazy"/theatrical.  Yeah she did a great job singing the song, but I don't know that it needed "theatrics" to make it a winner.  I thought she could just SING and kill it just the way it was, but whatever, I guess they needed something for Lady Gaga to contribute.  In any case, my growing Haley fandom will only likely seal her fate.  I even voted again for the first time in weeks but I'm sure it will be for naught.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »

Scotty came across as pandering with his 911 song (my 2c) and his second song was goofy and entirely unappealing. I don't mind some of his stuff, but SING INTO THE MIC! Finally someone else told him to do it, but I suppose a multiplatinum artist doesn't know what she's talking about right?

He fails the following test -

A microphone is to be held like:
A) a flute
B) a handlebar
C) corn one the cob
D) ALL of the above
E) NONE of the above

Either way, I think Scotty needs to go home next.

Lauren is forgettable and while her singing is good, she's ... wrong? I don't know. Something sets me off about her. Perhaps it's the gosh-golly-gee-shucks attitude, perhaps its that her stage presence reminds me of Miss Piggy (giant shoulder pads, bouffant blonde hair, and 14lbs of makeup), or perhaps I don't enjoy her on a musical level.

James was fantastic, and his rock spin is way better than his emo bit - I totally disagreed with the judges 30 seconds to mars last week - that was a pitchy mess. They should have come down on him, as hard as they did for Haley.

Haley, on the other hand, has been getting better and better. Randy needs to STFU - his Journey has ended, and hers is just beginning. The one critique I have of Haley is that besides her tiny eyes, she is smokin' hot and _CANNOT_ dance. She should take some lessons, because as soon as she starts moving it's like watching those dancing flowers that sway and wiggle to the music.

I expect the finale to be Haley and James DESPITE the judges. It'd be nice to think that Lauren can be #3, but knowing the popularity Scotty has enjoyed, it's unlikely to happen.

Has anyone noticed how much Scotty looks like the love child of GWB and Alfred P. Newman?

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2011, 03:07:02 AM »

Wow...just, wow. Surprising elimination.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2011, 03:13:41 AM »

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:17:36 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2011, 03:32:29 AM »

Wow indeed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Go Gunners...
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:18 AM »

Yep... Seems the teenage girl voters won the night again.
 thumbsdown
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »

On the bright side, James doesn't need AM - BASED on the performances of this week, James should not have gone home. Scotty's play for the vote-grabbing 9/11 reference weeks after Osama was killed would have been undercut with Simon's "That was just plain cheesy".

If Haley were gone, they'd have lost my viewership entirely.

As it is, I may just skip the next couple weeks.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on May 13, 2011, 04:10:18 AM

Yep... Seems the teenage girl voters won the night again.
 thumbsdown

And will make Scotty the winner.  disgust

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »

Heh, I was actually glad and not that surprised.  As I mentioned above, James was starting to get on my nerves, and he was getting way too full of himself for his own good.  Even worse, his singing was getting worse and worse, and he kept going more for screaming/theatrics than focusing on singing the songs.  Would I pick him over Scotty?  Of course.  But clearly Scotty has locked in the tweens, the cougars, the country fans, the grandmas, etc... I think that, like Adam last year, people were starting to get sick of it.

The shocker was of course Haley making it, but seriously out of these 4, she is/was the best actual singer the past few weeks, and certainly the most viable commercially in an Adele-esque way.  Plus she's hot.  I'm hoping she can somehow squeeze her way in so we don't have a boring all-country finale.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2011, 04:23:27 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 13, 2011, 06:36:36 PM

Heh, I was actually glad and not that surprised.  As I mentioned above, James was starting to get on my nerves, and he was getting way too full of himself for his own good.  Even worse, his singing was getting worse and worse, and he kept going more for screaming/theatrics than focusing on singing the songs.  Would I pick him over Scotty?  Of course.  But clearly Scotty has locked in the tweens, the cougars, the country fans, the grandmas, etc... I think that, like Adam last year, people were starting to get sick of it.

The shocker was of course Haley making it, but seriously out of these 4, she is/was the best actual singer the past few weeks, and certainly the most viable commercially in an Adele-esque way.  Plus she's hot.  I'm hoping she can somehow squeeze her way in so we don't have a boring all-country finale.

I disagree that James's singing was getting worse and worse. He has had some bad performances (to me anyway) but always bounced back with a solid one the next week. I felt the last two weeks were no exception, with this weeks being another solid performance. I think he just suffered from the same thing that does in most rockers do on AI, just not as much interest in that type of music in the AI viewership as other genres.

I really do not understand the appeal of Scotty though, at least to the tween crowd. He seems not very attractive at all physically and has a rather hokey personality. I see where the grandmas and country fans would be cranking out the votes for him though. But whatever. Based on the way things have been going, he probably has it locked up. I, for one, will not be tuning in for a GWB vs. Miss Piggy finale, so hopefully Haley makes it through next week so we can see her perform a few more times before its over.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »

I would look forward to James' interpretations of songs.

What's to look forward to now? Besides Haley, the choice is Disney-Country, or Good-Ol'-Country.

Plus, Lauren ruined Unchained Melody. I miss Simon. frown

(not that he would have taken it easy on James, but that would have likely overcome the issues that Rittchard has with him since he's pretty dedicated to his showmanship, and I imagine his insight would have helped James through some of his weak areas)

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:52 PM »

I hope this isn't going to turn out to be an all country finale. But here's what I thought of last night:

Round 1:

Scotty: His high note signing didn't sound all that great but otherwise typical Scotty
Lauren: Didn't do anything for me but guess it was sung well.
Haley: Really enjoyed it. Loved that her father got to play on the song too. Was getting a bit silly how much of a big deal they made about the trip.

Round 2:
Scotty: Really enjoyed this song. Not familiar with it (does that mean I'm supposed to hate it automatically) but it had a lot of energy and I liked seeing Scotty with the guitar rather than doing the typical flute thing with the mic.
Lauren: Didn't do anything for me but guess it was sung well. The wife mentioned Lauren was having a deodorant  malfunction but I didn't notice anything.
Haley: One of the judges commented on that they thought the song was going to build to something. That's how I felt about it. Haley just stood in the wind machine the entire time. It was distracting me from listening to her singing as I was anticipating her doing something else. Like dancing around or singing with the band or anything. So didn't care for it.

Round 3:
Scotty: Typically Scotty. Not bad but nothing new either.
Lauren: Didn't do anything for me but I guess it was sung well.
Haley: Not much singing in the song and talk about a stripped down stage. No band, no light show, no smoke effects, no random audience member, nothing. Didn't work for me.

Finish Him! Scotty Wins!

I really want Haley to be in the finale but not sure if she would get enough votes. My hope is Scotty goes home as then at least the finale would be somewhat interesting. Otherwise Scotty wins.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »

What are you talking about?  James Durbin won and it's all over with, are these deleted scenes?

icon_wink

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »

If you asked me, I'd say Haley was far above and beyond the other 2 country bumpkins, who at this point both just bore me to tears.  Which is likely why she'll be eliminated tonight.  I never heard her first song before, but she was awesome on it.  I kept reading about her falling down but I didn't even notice.  I thought she got screwed on the songs chosen for her though.  Rhiannon is a great song but it's just not a great Idol song.  It's too mid-tempo and doesn't have the emotion to give you either really sweet/soft moments or go the other way and have big power moments.  There are plenty of other great Stevie Nicks songs they could have picked but oh well.  Ditto on Alanis, there are a ton of great songs to choose from.  While I love Alanis and I love You Oughta Know, they had to neuter it for Idol, so why bother?  Go with a known, uncontroversial crowd pleaser like Ironic, which has plenty of crowd moments and you can belt out the chorus too.

The only good news for me is I'll be able to fast forward through the majority of next week's show if it comes down to the Country Duo.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »

Reading this thread is about as much time as I'm willing to commit to Idol at this point.

Go haley go. Yay.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2011, 01:37:46 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 19, 2011, 09:36:21 PM

I never heard her first song before, but she was awesome on it.

Couldn't remember the name but it's What Is & What Should Never Be

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2011, 11:29:20 PM »

Work has kept me too busy to comment on AI here but I have to say Haley's run to 3rd place was my favorite AI storyline ever.  So many bottom 3 appearances and yet she managed to get so far only to run up against the country mafia in the end.  Ah well I resigned myself to accepting 3rd was about all I was going to get to see of her.  I was a big Pia fan early on but in the end it was Haley who got my iTunes money.  I bought Blue, House of the Rising Sun, Rolling in the Deep, I Who Have Nothing and What is and What Should Never Be.  Color me surprised that I have more Haley songs than Crystal Bowersox ones but there you go.  As for the songs I bought from the other season 10 singers?  ............(crickets)................(crickets)...............

The bleep/bloop button on my remote will get quite a workout next week as while I think Scotty can sing well he just can't sing anything I want to hear.  Wittle Wauren has never impressed me with her abilities.  I'll be interested to see the eliminated contestants again (Naima, Pia and Haley mostly with maybe a hope for a Haley/Casey jazz duo).  Not looking forward to Lusk stanking up my screen again though.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2011, 02:08:42 AM »

Unless I hear of some artist I enjoy being on the finale, I won't be tuning in for the last two shows. I am flabbergasted that a mediocre singer (with mediocre looks) like Scotty can garner so many votes. I don't get it. I was also surprised how far lauren got with so many mediocre performances. I guess that goes to show you how much judge praise and 1st audition hype can take a contestant. This is, by far, the worst final two (collectively) in AI history.

Color me surprised that I have more Haley songs than Crystal Bowersox ones but there you go.
Crystal's album is pretty good, if you haven't checked it out yet.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2011, 03:19:58 AM »

Never underestimate the power of country music fans.  icon_biggrin

I'm pulling for Scotty. I don't think he was the best singer in the competition, but he's from my state and I like that he's got an old-school country voice. I'm a sucker for deep-voiced country singers like Randy Travis, Johnny Cash, Josh Turner, Jamey Johnson, et al. and Scotty definitely fits that mold.  Lauren never did anything for me. She's a technically good singer, but I've never figured out what "kind" of singer she is, or where her artistry is. At least with Scotty you know what he's all about, and there's no denying that he has an incredible stage presence given how young he is. Seriously, he looks like he's been watching country music artists since he was a toddler, as he has the stage mannerisms down pat.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2011, 11:48:20 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 23, 2011, 03:19:58 AM

At least with Scotty you know what he's all about, and there's no denying that he has an incredible stage presence given how young he is. Seriously, he looks like he's been watching country music artists since he was a toddler, as he has the stage mannerisms down pat.

I don't see it at all to be honest. I am not an avid fan of country music but I dont recall any that play the flute microphone like scotty hehe. Any time he moves around it seems very forced and awkward to me, to the point I feel embarrassed for him. Oh well. I am sure he will win it this year so gratz for your state.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »

Well they seemed to be doing everything in their power to get Lauren to win this thing. She apparently damaged her vocal cords but would still be a trooper and sing, she sang an I love Mommy song while hugging her mommy, and gained all the judges approval for winning it all - with the exception of JLo who said she's not sure who's going to win it but somehow forgot just 60 seconds ago she told Lauren she probably won it with the Mommy song.

Don't care who wins it but man that seemed like some manipulation going on to boost votes for Lauren. Scotty seemed to get the short end of the stick with the original song. I love you this >Scotty's hands spread wide< big! What a dumb song.

But not as dumb as the Taio Cruz song I'm positive...I'm positive...I'm positive...I'm positive. I'm also positive he had sound issues between the pre-recorded vocal track and his live voice. So despite all the positivity it wasn't a good night for him.

This is one of the few years where I don't have anyone to root for at the end. I don't hate either of these guys but they just don't do anything for me. Will still be tuning in to see the finale which is usually pretty entertaining.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

One of the most horrible finales EVER!

All indications point to Scotty winning in a landslide.  But yeah as Crawley mentioned they did everything they could to help Lauren.  Here's the things on her side:

- Health issues (sympathy vote)
- Better position going second/last
- Far better original song (for Mom vote)
- May get Haley's votes
- Voters who want a girl to win
- Country vote may have to split their votes

Her final song was definitely a winner and whether it was genuine sentiment or not, it brought a tear to my eye so I suspect all the mom's out there may be manipulated as well; that could have just helped her pull off the upset.  

It will be interesting to see who wins this year: the battle between the tweens vs. pretty much everyone else.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2011, 03:45:20 AM »

and the winner is....

Spoiler for Hiden:
James Durbin!  yay!

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2011, 03:59:53 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 25, 2011, 06:14:31 PM

But not as dumb as the Taio Cruz song I'm positive...I'm positive...I'm positive...I'm positive. I'm also positive he had sound issues between the pre-recorded vocal track and his live voice. So despite all the positivity it wasn't a good night for him.

I throw mah sammich in the air sometimez, sayin' Mayo, I wanted Mayo!

also, the weiner is....
Spoiler for Hiden:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »

he's sieg heilin'!

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »

Some idle Idol thoughts:

And so ends a pretty lame season of AI - like Survivor it started out with so much promise but became a predictable bore midway through when it became obvious who was controlling the game and thus also who would eventually win.  I wonder if it was even a contest at all.  That said, the crowning of Scotty was really a footnote in a pretty entertaining finale show.  

What I find interesting is the bizarre dichotomy and contrast between what AI the show likes to show us and what the AI voters seem to want.  The producers are always straddling the line between trying to stay relevant/hip vs delivering what the people who vote apparently love.  Look at what we got last night:

- The kids singing (for a second time) the gayest gay anthem on the planet (Born This Way) from the biggest gay icon of the moment (Lady Gaga), yet removing all the explicitly pro-gay lyrics

- A bunch of "fat bottomed girls" writhing their fat asses clad in short shorts

- Fat-bottomed T-Boz and hot naked abs Chili from TLC, along with some scary rapper yelling at us

- J-Lo shimmying her big booty at us exuding sex

- Beyonce shaking her big booty at us exuding sex

- Steven Tyler screaming at us, and does anyone exude sex/drugs/profanity more than Steven Tyler?

- Lady Gaga herself appearing half naked and taking herself to "The Edge of Glory"

All that, and yet the contestants themselves, aside from Haley, are almost left devoid of sexuality during the competition (unless you consider James' outfits and/or Jacob Lusk's dance moves gayer than gay).  And the winner that's finally chosen is about as vanilla as they come, I mean Scotty makes Lee Dewyze look "street".  America wants wholesome country goodness according to the votes.  American Idol wants ????

One of the best representations of the "line" was my favorite moment this season, when Lady Gaga is mentoring Scotty and just reaches over and grabs his hips to make him move.  I thought he was going to instantly die and his face looked like he thought he would be sent to hell.  Hilarious!  I read somewhere that he actually kisses his cross after meeting her, lol.  I guess he thought it would protect him.

- - -

Anyway, one other interesting tidbit from the folks at VFTW.  They call it the Kristy Lee Cook curse.  The last 4 years has given us 4 winners who were white boys with guitars.

KRIS allen scotTY mcreery LEE dewyze david COOK

See anything interesting there?  And one last thing, wth happened to Lee?  Don't they always have last year's winner perform?  Is he that much of an embarassment/disappointment lol?

With the tweens/wholesome vote in control of this show, I don't know if I'll be back next year.  I think The Voice and X-Factor will be plenty of singing competition for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: