http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol 2011  (Read 6349 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »

Not really. She's still tied to American Idol tour, so she still can't launch yet.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 05:09:36 PM »

Fuck...

I may not watch the rest of the season now.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 08, 2011, 02:01:14 PM

Not really. She's still tied to American Idol tour, so she still can't launch yet.

Oops. Oh yeah, forgot about that.

So now that my favorite to win it all is out, my guess as to who wins it will be James Durbin.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »

I'm curious if any one of you guys bitching about Pia actually cast a single vote for her this week, or any time at all.  You know you can now do it online as well?  

I was shocked as well, to even see her in the final 3 now was surprising to me.  Even though I found her boring for most of the competition, I thought she was far more talented than Haley, Scotty, Paul or Stefano.  The problem is, as we've discussed, in spite of them insisting this is a singing competition, that's only partially true.  It's a voting competition, and often times that just becomes a popularity contest, or even as simple as a producer induced manipulation by who gets the final "pimp" slot.  How many people actually watch the show, listen to an awesome singing performance, and then feel compelled to vote based just on the singing?  My guess is the percentage is pretty limited.  

As I mentioned, Dialidol has Scotty #1 by a fair margin every week.  Even though I would never vote for him, I'm going to guess he wins.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:58:11 PM by rittchard » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »

Wow. I did not expect that! I'm gonna miss the voice, the performance, the dress and those looks as I don't think Iggy Pop will appear back on that stage ever again.

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 06:33:34 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 08, 2011, 05:56:08 PM

I'm curious if any one of you guys bitching about Pia actually cast a single vote for her this week, or any time at all.  You know you can now do it online as well?  

I've been voting tons for her every week from my AT&T phone (like i would sit there and keep texting votes for a good 30 minutes or so). Unfortunately - we had to be away from home this week and by the time I got home to watch the recording - voting was already closed. So not that my hundred or so votes would have saved her but it's still frustrating. There are so many other contestants that were far more deserving to go home this week.

Scotty is doing a lot better than i expected and so I could see him now making it to the finals (especially with the producers "pimping him"). My daughter really likes him... but I'll never vote for him.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »

As I mentioned, Dialidol has Scotty #1 by a fair margin every week.  Even though I would never vote for him, I'm going to guess he wins.

Online voting has skewed results. I would put forth that there are a lot of country fans who "ain't usin' them newfangled thingamabobs" and are used to calling into their televangelists too often to want to switch to the PC.

/flees

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »

I was shocked as well, to even see her in the final 3 now was surprising to me.  Even though I found her boring for most of the competition.

Can't vote since I'm at work during the shows but if given the chance no I probably wouldn't vote for anyone.  Having said that who does Pia remind me of?  David Archuletta that you liked so much a few seasons ago, all he did was stand there and sing ballads but he did it with his eyes closed and licking his lips.  And yet he really never got any criticism like Pia got.  I wouldn't have cared if Pia ended up 2nd or third but ninth? I really don't care who wins but I watch the show because my wife likes it and we talk about it when I get home.  I would like to have some talented women on the stage to balance all those guys and it is jarring to see less capable people get by due to voting blocks and IMO bad judging.  Casey sucked for 3 weeks in a row (to finally overcome the judges terrible mad props comments) to end up voted off and then saved, Pia never sucked once and goes home.  I have no idea why it works out that guys get saved and women don't but I'd bet next year they try to save a girl no matter what.

I guess I just like women singers far better than guys overall, I'm struggling to think of one song sung by a guy this year in live shows that I liked anywhere near Haley's "Benny and the Jets" or one of Pia's ballads.  Lauren is far too precocious for my tastes.  I think this year I'll be bleep blooping past most of the performances after the first 20 seconds (Lusk will probably get 5 seconds) and just keeping barely in touch with AI.  I don't see anyone this year that could do interesting things like Crystal, Adam or David Cook did.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 08, 2011, 08:02:18 PM

I was shocked as well, to even see her in the final 3 now was surprising to me.  Even though I found her boring for most of the competition.

Can't vote since I'm at work during the shows but if given the chance no I probably wouldn't vote for anyone.  Having said that who does Pia remind me of?  David Archuletta that you liked so much a few seasons ago, all he did was stand there and sing ballads but he did it with his eyes closed and licking his lips.  And yet he really never got any criticism like Pia got.

Well... since you decided to go there.... I seem to recall he got criticized plenty of times for not moving around enough, song choice, pitch, etc... - song choice the most.  Plus he was 17 and Pia is 21, that's a huge difference in maturity level.  His song choices BTW were NOT all ballads, he went back and forth, and generally got skewered by the judges when he went up-tempo.   But the fact remains he went out of the ballad comfort zone plenty of times, with often poor results.

"Waiting on the World to Change"
"Crazy"
"Heaven"
"Shop Around"
"Imagine"  
"Another Day in Paradise"  
"We Can Work It Out"  
"The Long and Winding Road"
"You're the Voice"
"Smoky Mountain Memories"
"Angels"
"When You Believe"
"Think of Me"
"Sweet Caroline"
"America"
"Stand by Me"
"Love Me Tender"
"And So It Goes"
"With You"
"Longer"

- - -

I think the thing with Pia, like David, is the judges presumed she was a front-runner and safe.  So they probably felt it was OK to push her into different zones, even though everyone knew what her "money" performances were.  The difference is simply she did not command the little girl vote block.  The judging is really not that much of a factor, except in some cases in the past where Simon made someone cry or whatever and the pity or anti-Simon factor kept someone in.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »

The problem is, as we've discussed, in spite of them insisting this is a singing competition, that's only partially true.  It's a voting competition, and often times that just becomes a popularity contest, or even as simple as a producer induced manipulation by who gets the final "pimp" slot.

So very true. We enjoy 'So You Think You Can Dance' as well and at least they're up front about that... the winner is crowned 'the most popular dancer in America', not the best.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 09, 2011, 12:48:48 PM

The problem is, as we've discussed, in spite of them insisting this is a singing competition, that's only partially true.  It's a voting competition, and often times that just becomes a popularity contest, or even as simple as a producer induced manipulation by who gets the final "pimp" slot.

So very true. We enjoy 'So You Think You Can Dance' as well and at least they're up front about that... the winner is crowned 'the most popular dancer in America', not the best.  icon_wink

Well apparently Pia already has a record contract and they are trying to rush an album out so she will be fine but what about me?  I liked my eye candy damnit!  I wrote on another board that Haley reminds me of a Labradoodle with her constant vacant look and smile and Widdle Wauren sets my teeth on edge.

One other thing about the Pia is boring argument (valid as it is), Naima was anything but boring and she went home last week so what does it take?  The guys are not any more exciting or talented than the girls but an 0-5-1 record to the guys favor is strange.  I'm used to maybe 2 or at most 3 girls leaving before the guys start to fall but 5?  That isn't the Idol I remember but it may be the standard from now on.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 09, 2011, 12:48:48 PM

I like SYTYCD as well (go Cat go!) but the judges have even more power up until the end and it can be pretty jarring to see them twist the results to suit their needs vice the audience's.  Last year poor Adechiaka got roasted every week by the judges even though his dances were on par with the other contestants.  The tongue bath that Kent got each week made Lauren's (she won right?) victory that much sweeter for me to watch.  I can't get the image of that bitch judge complaining about the loss of Alex Wong after Adechiaka had danced their routine with a stand in and did well.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2011, 04:29:39 AM »

The guys are not any more exciting or talented than the girls but an 0-5-1 record to the guys favor is strange.

The difference between the guys and girls this season, and I've said it all season, is that the girls are almost carbon copies of one another while the guys have individuality. Read back in this thread where I said the boys were going to annihilate the girls. Point in the "YK was right" column.

There were only two girls since the beginning that I could say I knew who they were as an artist. Lauren (but *only* because they pimped her country side and so over-hyped her), and Pia, because she was basically the most talented girl period. The rest of them had zero individuality.

Take the guys on the other hand - you've got the obviously country guy. You've got the 70s singer-songwriter guy. You've got Casey, who I don't know WTF he is. You've got the rocker. You've got the lady's man. You've got the flamboyant drag queen. Nobody's going to confuse Jacob Lusk with Scotty, but up until last week I was still trying to figure out half the time who they were talking about when they mentioned a girl's name.

I said the judges made a stupid move burning the save on Casey, and now they are paying dearly for it. Another point in the "YK was right" column.

Pia got tossed out because of a combination of a number of factors, but I believe mostly it was because people thought she was safe and didn't vote for her. It's been the case of every "surprise" early elimination in Idol history, so I don't see it not being the primary reason now. In conjunction with that reason, of course, is the fact that the public just simply likes the guys better this year. I liked Pia, and thought she was probably the most talented of the whole bunch, but if I was going to vote I'd have tossed my vote to one of the guys. Why? Because I figured she was safe and because she's boring and I'd rather vote for one of the guys because I LOVE Scotty/Paul/whatever. If I'm thinking that, I'm sure there are millions of others thinking it too. I also don't think she was very likable - she had that stuck-up cheerleader vibe thing going on; guys hate her because she's a bitch, girls hate her because she's pretty.

How many people actually watch the show, listen to an awesome singing performance, and then feel compelled to vote based just on the singing?  My guess is the percentage is pretty limited.

Maybe limited, but I don't think it's insignificant. If it wasn't significant, then we wouldn't see bad performances or off-nights punished with bottom 3 showings.

I'm really not all that surprised at the surprises this season, because I honestly feel it's the most talented Final 12 in Idol history. There are no "bad" singers in this bunch. Some are slightly better or worse than others, but in past seasons there was a much larger disparity between the top talent remaining and the bottom. Add in the genre diversity left remaining and this could be anybody's game.

Predictions/thoughts:

Casey got a significant bump from the save - his fans must be really scared to let him fall into that position again since he hasn't been back in the bottom 3 despite some meh performances. How long can he ride that sympathy train, I wonder?

Paul/Stefano are definitely two of the most vulnerable guys. Paul because he is *really* prone to off-nights, and I feel he's had more bad than good. His teeth are basically all that is keeping him in the competition at this point. Stefano because he doesn't really fit into a niche like the other guys, and is also probably one of the weaker talents left.

Haley - has saved herself with a couple of great performances, but I think she's one bad night away from getting the boot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the above 4 go home next week, but of course a lot depends on the performances.

P.S. I love Scotty's voice but good God dude the goofy faces and constant eyebrow raises have GOT TO GO. You're doing a country performance, not satirizing one.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »

I agree with YK's analysis for the most part, though not about wasting the save on Casey.  I don't think he can win, but I think he's an incredibly talented individual and I still want to see more of him.  In a different year (like last year) I'd say he could win the whole thing.  Plus maybe he'll shave his beard in a last act of desperation which would be fun. 

Actually I think if you look at the past 3 (?) or even more seasons, you'll see the obvious trend toward male domination.  I'm pretty sure the last 3 seasons were all 2 guy finals - wait, Lee beat Crystal last year?  I don't remember.  Anyway it's been pretty clear who/what the biggest voting blocks are, i.e. tween girls.  Until they choose a way to neutralize that factor, the winners will be dominated by guys.  The problem for them is if they limit the number of votes per person, they won't be able to spout their stupid "55 million votes, etc" each night.  The other option would be to give the judges more power, but I don't know how that would go over.  Either way I'm ready for Simon and X Factor.   icon_wink
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 10, 2011, 08:14:55 PM

I agree with YK's analysis for the most part, though not about wasting the save on Casey.  I don't think he can win, but I think he's an incredibly talented individual and I still want to see more of him.  In a different year (like last year) I'd say he could win the whole thing.  Plus maybe he'll shave his beard in a last act of desperation which would be fun. 

Actually I think if you look at the past 3 (?) or even more seasons, you'll see the obvious trend toward male domination.  I'm pretty sure the last 3 seasons were all 2 guy finals - wait, Lee beat Crystal last year?  I don't remember.  Anyway it's been pretty clear who/what the biggest voting blocks are, i.e. tween girls.  Until they choose a way to neutralize that factor, the winners will be dominated by guys.  The problem for them is if they limit the number of votes per person, they won't be able to spout their stupid "55 million votes, etc" each night.  The other option would be to give the judges more power, but I don't know how that would go over.  Either way I'm ready for Simon and X Factor.   icon_wink

Another hope for X Factor is that they can bring more current songs to the contest.  How may times have we heard these same songs over and over (well except for smells like teen spirit).  I wonder if X Factor will have a different method of tallying votes,  I bet Simon has put something in the show that allows him more power than he had on AI for eliminations.

AI still dominates the TV land but it seems quite vulnerable right now and perhaps Simon has timed it just right for his new venture.

I too think Casey is talented but he hasn't really brought a lot of variety to his performances, at least not like I thought he would.  It is going to be interesting to see how they position the two girls in the singing order.  I have to think the show really doesn't want all the girls gone so quickly and so they need to avoid the so called death slots like going second or third.  I'm calling Lauren Alaina in the pimp slot this week.  Stefano will be going second.  My track record this season for this type of pick is flawless so far, I've yet to get any right but I'm hoping for a change to come (damn it, yet another AI staple song!).
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »

At bare minimum I like the idea (for X Factor) that the judges get personally involved with the contestants, so they have a much bigger investment in who wins, and aren't just inane tools parroting the same BS night in and out.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 11, 2011, 06:24:18 PM

At bare minimum I like the idea (for X Factor) that the judges get personally involved with the contestants, so they have a much bigger investment in who wins, and aren't just inane tools parroting the same BS night in and out.

"it was kind of pitchy for me in places"
"XXX is in it to win it!"
"If I'm being honest - it wasn't my favorite performance of yours"

Roll Eyes
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »

All I know about X-Factor is that Simon runs it, the age limit is higher and groups are part of the mix.  I'll just tune in and see what the rest of it is all about.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:15 AM »

Tonight, there were two standout performances:

1. Casey- an ultra cool jazz version of Nature Boy. He FINALLY returned to the awesome, cool, quirky singer he showed very early on in the season. I want more of that guy and less of the angry, psycho growler.
2. James- I will preface this by saying I am a metal fan and his version of the Sammy Hagar song was awesome. Plus, pairing him with Zakk Wylde was genius. Even more entertaining was watching James tell Jimmy Iovine to basically go pound sand. Classic!

Those two were clearly a cut above the rest for me. Below them, I guess Jacob was very good. Paul was not bad, but not a standout. Country boy is now getting kind of stale, although again sounded really good. Stefano and the two girls were pretty forgettable.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »

It's clear to me that in spite of the good ratings and hype, this season and show is really missing one huge element - Simon.  There's literally no voice of reason now to counter-balance the insanity.  J-Ho has been a pleasant surprise in the Paula/Kara role, she's actually better.  But Steven Tyler, in spite of his hilarious antics, is like a male, coked up version of Paula.  So there's no counter-balance to it and I think the show is ultimately suffering without someone to give the contestants some more meaningful feedback.

Without Simon, there's no one to bound them or reign in their rapidly bloating egos.  I like both Casey and James to some extent, but I believe if Simon were there last night, he'd tell them both they were simply being self-indulgent, yet the judges spend all their time trying to justify it.  I mean seriously, I could barely listen to or watch either performance.  Casey was off-key and not playing his instrument well, his bizarre facial expressions and growling were kind of cute if you like him (I do), but creepy and disturbing otherwise, especially the weird looks he gives in to the camera (sexy, or just plain scary?).  James was just out of control, screaming like a maniac.  I dunno, clearly some people love that.  The sad part is they were still the best part of the show.  Paul and Scotty are jokes to me, and I think Simon would rip them new ones given the chance.  Stefano was boring and horrible.  Haley is just a whore.  Lauren, who might otherwise become a frontrunner in a Kelly Clarkson like position, is constantly disappointing, and this week, boring as anything.  Jacob, is well... Jacob.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »

I actually thought Casey reigned things in quite a bit in comparison to, say, the week he did the Nirvana song, which to me was totally out of control.

As for James his performance is going to be really polarizing this week. In terms of the screaming, well since it is heavy metal, that's kind of the point. There's a lot of hyperactive screaming in metal songs. Like I said, as a metal fan, I thought he was awesome, but it was a highly risky move on his part to sing that song, which face it, is a fairly obscure song from an obscure movie so he's not going to get the more causal or undecided fan to vote for him. I really have no idea if he will survive the results this time, but man, if he is cut, he went out in a blaze of glory.

As for the judging, I think it's been fine. More so than any season, their feedback has been pretty constructive for the most part. I certainly agree with them a lot more this season than I have in recent seasons. If you want to talk egos, the irony is that Simon's ego is bigger than any of the singers, and I've gotten really tired of him. I will agree that Steven's judging is pretty disappointing. He seems kind of bored at this point and says literally the same thing almost every time. New drinking game. Every time Steven says "that was just beautiful", drink a beer. Everyone will be buzzed in 30 minutes.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 14, 2011, 05:57:20 PM

It's clear to me that in spite of the good ratings and hype, this season and show is really missing one huge element - Simon.  There's literally no voice of reason now to counter-balance the insanity.  J-Ho has been a pleasant surprise in the Paula/Kara role, she's actually better.  But Steven Tyler, in spite of his hilarious antics, is like a male, coked up version of Paula.  So there's no counter-balance to it and I think the show is ultimately suffering without someone to give the contestants some more meaningful feedback.

Without Simon, there's no one to bound them or reign in their rapidly bloating egos.  I like both Casey and James to some extent, but I believe if Simon were there last night, he'd tell them both they were simply being self-indulgent, yet the judges spend all their time trying to justify it.  I mean seriously, I could barely listen to or watch either performance.  Casey was off-key and not playing his instrument well, his bizarre facial expressions and growling were kind of cute if you like him (I do), but creepy and disturbing otherwise, especially the weird looks he gives in to the camera (sexy, or just plain scary?).  James was just out of control, screaming like a maniac.  I dunno, clearly some people love that.  The sad part is they were still the best part of the show.  Paul and Scotty are jokes to me, and I think Simon would rip them new ones given the chance.  Stefano was boring and horrible.  Haley is just a whore.  Lauren, who might otherwise become a frontrunner in a Kelly Clarkson like position, is constantly disappointing, and this week, boring as anything.  Jacob, is well... Jacob.

On the plus side it only took me 15 minutes to watch the show.  I watched Paul for quite awhile (since when did 90 seconds seem so long) and thought it was absolutely horrible and I decided to see if the judgery would toughen up and let him know.  But of course not it was awesome according to them.  So goes the night with nothing to grab onto regarding the performances, they all seemed bad to me but I know I'm not a great judge of singing so I need some help figuring out who might be good or maybe I just need entrainment from the judges but I got nothing from them but rage.  Randy's "My one rule to to never change it up, do what you do!"  except of course if you are Pia or even Casey who after they saved him got the opposite advice from him and pretty lady judge.  Ok so now for me (for you) the show is watching 15 seconds of the performance and bleep bloop fast forward to the next song in the hopes it might have some redeeming qualities but I saw none last night.  I'm sure Scotty is good but I don't want to listen to it, country isn't my thing.  will.you.get.the.fuck.off.AI.m is a joke and really I think Io.vi.ne is the same, I have yet to see them have a positive impact on the singers.  Haley wasn't the best of the night but she wasn't the worst either so I can't figure out why they Pia'ed her and nobody else.  And if Pia gets voted off for being boring and just standing there while she sings then why in the name of all that is Sparkles did they let Lauren do that exact same thing last night? 

I didn't watch enough to even guess at the bottom 3 other than Pialey 2.0 who probably will go home to the shock and surprise of the useless judges and the boys will continue to roll on.

Final note is that I am still perfect on picking singing order, Lauren went second in the death slot and Haley was buried mid-pack,  once again proving I know nothing about this show.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »

Another thing,  This season seems more about what AI can throw up on stage around the singers than the singers themselves.  Flaming piano's, famous guitarists, teenyboppers on stage, Hulk Hogan, choirs, famous singers/songwriters singing backup  etc....   

Also something that I've noticed that irritates me is that the judges always agree with each other, there is never any discourse or discussion or difference of opinion.  They are all protagonists and they really need antagonistic viewpoints in the mix as well otherwise we get this boring pablum of baby food critique.  This alone makes the judging part of the show useless.

And one more thing!  Hey I can't stop this....  Why should I (auto)tune in each week if Randy et al are telling these singers to stay in their lane and not change it up?  I saw it last week and the week before and the week before that.  Add to that that we only have Ji.mm.iiii.ee  I.o.v.in.e  and will.u.jump.off.a.bridge.over.troubled.water.please.m each week instead of guest mentors so any variety is sucked out of the show.  Jeniffer was really good as a mentor that one season and I remember also liking Andrew Lloyd Webber, Jammie (autotune) Fox, Harry Connic Jr. and Randy Travis was funny having to deal with Adam during country week.  By no means were all the mentors worthwhile but at least there was a chance of something interesting or different happening, now after seeing Iovine for the last few weeks I know what is coming and have no reason to listen to him.   
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 14, 2011, 10:37:41 PM

Also something that I've noticed that irritates me is that the judges always agree with each other, there is never any discourse or discussion or difference of opinion.  They are all protagonists and they really need antagonistic viewpoints in the mix as well otherwise we get this boring pablum of baby food critique.  This alone makes the judging part of the show useless.

That was my point too, and why you need someone like Simon (big ego or not) to balance out the viewpoints.  Not to necessarily be purposefully negative, but to bring some sense of grounding to balance the blatant pandering that most of the contestants are getting.

Anyway, glad to see Paul go - finally!  Poor VFTW has to look for a new candidate lol.  I'm hoping Stefano exits next.

BTW one thing I do like this season is the Thursday duets.  So far they have all been enjoyable and the singers actually seem to get into it, as opposed to the horrible train wreck group numbers.  Those are funny to watch but just so terrible.  I actually liked both Casey AND Haley much better last night in their duet (rumor is he is hitting that).  In fact I think that's the most relaxed I've seen Haley perform, and I thought it really suited her well.  I didn't like the country song, but I also thought Lauren and Scotty sounded good together.  It's too bad they had Jason Aldean and Kelly on, or else they could have sung that song (currently a big hit) instead.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »

Goodbye Paul.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2011, 11:54:57 PM »

I'm stealing the nickname Teflano I read on another board, he is reaching Sanjaya levels of survival and I think the producers are being a bit cruel by keeping him right up until the other person standing is eliminated.  You gotta figure he the one headed home when he is standing there alongside Casey and Pia, Paul not so much but still could go either way.  Paul's singout was actually pretty good but really J-lo?  Maggie May is the song you picked?  The band started playing the song before you even got to say it, real subtle there AI.

The duets are pretty good but I feel for the Boyz to Stools leftovers who don't get to sing with either Haley or Lauren, how in the world do you make Lusky stank, Teflano, The Durbs and Creepy Uncle Paul sound good together?  I think the duets again go to my point about all the extras this show is throwing around early in the game.  We didn't see a duet last season until top 4 week, I like the new setup better since the group songs are lame but what are they leaving in reserve for the finale?

I don't really need another Simon on the panel but I thought Shania Twain was pretty good during auditions one year (but of course Steven Tyler was made to look good during those as well), just a bit of real feedback and please stop with the standing ovations for EACH song! 
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2011, 01:02:41 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 16, 2011, 11:54:57 PM

I'm stealing the nickname Teflano I read on another board, he is reaching Sanjaya levels of survival and I think the producers are being a bit cruel by keeping him right up until the other person standing is eliminated.   

I am pretty sure that the bottom 3 arranged by lowest votes. i.e. He has been 2nd to last in votes all those nights, so thats why he is there. Has nothing to do with them being cruel.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2011, 12:32:10 AM »

for once my DVR isn't busy with other stuff so I'm finally catching a new episode.  holy cow, Durbin's version of Uprising was incredible.  still, I bet Simon would have found something that needed work (probably his outfit, wtf?) but the current three we a bit too upbeat- it felt like there were three Paula's behind the desk.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

I finally watched last weeks idol. I think the judges really need to calibrate themselves to the quality of the contestants and stop gushing over all of the contestants for no good reason.

Paul went home because his performance was weak.

While I thought that the 16yr old did really well, there were some pitch issues. (come ON Randy!)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 21, 2011, 01:06:07 PM

I finally watched last weeks idol. I think the judges really need to calibrate themselves to the quality of the contestants and stop gushing over all of the contestants for no good reason.

I ended up turning it off after a couple more songs to avoid going into diabetic shock everytime they opened their mouth.  The should change the title of the show to 'American Feelgood Idol'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2011, 03:37:22 PM »

Also, I listened to a bit of Stefano, then I skipped it. It was funny when one of the judges (Randy, IIRC) said that his singing was mesmerizing.

Perhaps being Canadian made me impervious. You people are weak. slywink

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »

That group number by the rejects in the beginning was a total and utter trainwreck of a number. The statement by Steven Tyler about how that made America rethink their decision to eliminate them was proof he is senile.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on April 21, 2011, 05:37:04 PM

That group number by the rejects in the beginning was a total and utter trainwreck of a number. The statement by Steven Tyler about how that made America rethink their decision to eliminate them was proof he is senile.

Chemically senile. Tongue

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on April 21, 2011, 05:37:04 PM

Yeah as much as I love watching trainwreck group numbers, I had to FF when Paul started singing(??) - I use the word "singing" lightly.

I really liked Haley for the first time last night, probably because I love that Adele song and she did a good job with it.  Though the cutesy polka dot dress didn't really fit the theme of emotional angst.  She should have wore a black low cut dress and writhed her ass around more.  Oh well.  Given that I liked her so much, I have a slightly bad feeling for her tonight.  By all rights Teflano should go, but the force is strong with him.  And by force, I mean tween girls and cougars hot for a Latin boytoy.

Not that I didn't like him before, but I'm really liking Casey more and more.  He has a weird nerdy/creepy sexy appeal to him, I can't place my finger on it.  I thought he looked really cute in some of the "teaser" sequences, especially when he was chasing people around.  The "harder to breathe" in your face ont he judges to kiss J-Ho was a brilliant move.  Even if the performance was a bit forgettable (though interesting), people will be talking about and remembering the kiss which is great for votes.

Lauren disappointed me again, cheesy as it is I would have liked to see her go Kelly Clarkson this week and just belt one out.  Because of You would have worked well.  Scotty - eek, what a cheeseball.  James, over the top.  Jacob, good but actually kind of boring (the diva stuff was funny though).  And Teflano, yikes.  Aside from looking kinda beefed up in the tight T-shirt, the dancing and singing was horrible to watch.

Too hard to predict this year but I'll guess Teflano, Jacob and Haley in the bottom 3.  Only because I liked her so much this week, I'm guessing Haley goes.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »

Big surprise I liked Durbs and Casey this week and yes the kiss was a perfect ploy but he may have lost a bit when he pulled that beard off of Ryan and man could you make a lot of beard jokes about Ryan.  Haley picked a great song but didn't quite get there with it, still much better than Teflano, Wittle Wauren, Scotty McOne-note, and Luskafish.  Still I agree with rittchard that she will be in the bottom 3 but I'm holding out hope that Teflano slids right out of the AI studio.  It now gets interesting to see the third member of the bottom 3, I guess Jacob since he has been there before and that performance wasn't very good.  My remote didn't get near as much of a work out (cept for Scotty and Wauren's songs) this week as the song choices were very good IMO.  I have to admit to not listening to much current radio hits as I'm more of a book on tape guy so I enjoyed "Rolling in the Deep" and looked it up on iTunes but Adele's song had a bit more bass than I like in it, I'd love a clearer version with her voice as the focal point.

Next week at the latest should see one of the front runners in the bottom 3 and I'm curious to see how it goes.

Oh and Thanks AI for reminding us why the other 5 were voted off earlier, I couldn't make it to Pia's part of the song, it was just too painful to watch/listen to.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »

I liked Haley's number as well. Plus, her dress and makeup were very easy on the eyes. drool The problem with her though is the same one that has plagued many a contestant on the show. Yes, she has a really good singing voice, but she's not memorable at all and has a boring personality. And if Lauren doesn't pull off something really memorable next week, she'll fail for the same reason. I am in total agreement with the judges on Lauren. She cannot play it safe and be afraid to take chances any longer.

Stefano's dancing was very very odd and awkward. His constant flirty mugging for the camera was annoying as well. I don't know. Since I'm a guy, I don't get his appeal at all. His performance last night made me want to punch him.

I kind of agree with Randy on Jacob. He seems to be toning down his act over the last several weeks and is becoming a bit stale.

Scotty...oh boy. I started out a fan but the Vegas lounge act presence on stage is so off-putting now, starting with the holding of the microphone sideways, then the crooked mouth and smarmy look. And while I don't knock him for only singing country songs, the stuff he's been singing has been so boring lately. At least try something different within the genre. He could totally kill singing a classic well known Johnny Cash song.

If I were to guess, I think the finals will come down to Casey and James because they are both so memorable each week. Whether you like them or hate them, there really is no middle ground and you cannot accuse them of being boring. For me Casey is a total love-hate thing. I love his stuff one week, then hate it the next week. Last night I didn't particularly like him. The psycho growl stare was just too much to take. James on the other hand I really like every week. He was totally over the top, and to coin a Simon-ism, it was probably a self-indulgent peformance, but I liked it, and when you talk to other people about the show the next day, you always have to ask what they thought of James' performance first.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »

Props to Teflano for a good singout and fare thee well, he looked happy to finish where he did.  If we can just rid ourselves of Lusk next week I'd be sorta willing to pay more attention to the show, the judges starting to put out some criticism help a bit but they need to do more of it. 

Could be trouble for Pure Corntry next week with Carole King songs on the menu, a quick look didn't show any songs from his side of the spectrum.  Haley and Casey won't have any problems finding something, perhaps "Jazzman" for one of them.  I'm glad Wauren already creeped me out by singing "Natural Woman"  (yes a Carole song) two weeks ago but she has plenty to pick from.  Rocky will struggle as well I think, this can't be anywhere near his type of music.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on April 21, 2011, 09:47:46 PM

Stefano's dancing was very very odd and awkward. His constant flirty mugging for the camera was annoying as well. I don't know. Since I'm a guy, I don't get his appeal at all. His performance last night made me want to punch him.

Even as a gay guy, I wanted to punch him too, so there's that  icon_razz  Glad to see him finally go!

Most interesting thing from last night, which I mostly FF'd through - I thought Scotty actually sounded pretty good singing the Coldplay song, in fact I thought he sang his part better than the other 2 guys.  Weird.  Clearly he is capable of doing things outside the country box, it's too bad they don't explore that further.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »

Well, I certainly won't miss Stefano licking his lips constantly. Tongue

Yeah, Country Boy did sounds surprisingly good singing the Coldplay song. If only he would hold the damn microphone properly...
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »

Now that we're getting close to the final I'm gonna take a educated guess on who will be the final 3:

James
Scotty
Haley

They'll somehow get one girl in to the final 3 and I'm betting it won't be Lauren. They seem to be building Lauren up to be a final 3 contender but given her last few performances she seems to be getting a bit shy. She didn't even respond to the judges last time which makes me think she's given up a little.

James and Scotty are a lock for the final. They are the most comerically viable. Scotty will have a carerer regardless if he wins or not. Haley will be out at 3 and will release an album no one buys.

My guess for the order of elimenation is:

Lauren
Jacob
Casey
Haley
Scotty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: