http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:35:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol 2011  (Read 6319 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 13, 2011, 04:19:28 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on March 13, 2011, 02:34:20 PM

Three girls in the bottom 3 - I rest my case.  icon_biggrin

Two of which were the judges wildcard saves.

Guys will start dropping like flies after they're gone.

Ashthon was the only wild card in the bottom 3 this past week.  The other two wild cards were Naima and Stefano who were both safe.  But yeah it don't look good for the girls this year.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 13, 2011, 06:14:41 PM

Quote from: DarkEL on March 13, 2011, 04:19:28 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on March 13, 2011, 02:34:20 PM

Three girls in the bottom 3 - I rest my case.  icon_biggrin

Two of which were the judges wildcard saves.

Guys will start dropping like flies after they're gone.

Ashthon was the only wild card in the bottom 3 this past week.  The other two wild cards were Naima and Stefano who were both safe.  But yeah it don't look good for the girls this year.

Oh that's right - for some reason I was thinking that Haylee was a wildcard too.

In my house we think that there were only 2 or 3 guys who should have even made it into the top 12 and that the girls overall are much, much stronger.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 13, 2011, 06:28:23 PM

In my house we think that there were only 2 or 3 guys who should have even made it into the top 12 and that the girls overall are much, much stronger.

Can you be more specific?  I think there are some good girls this year, but Week 1 seemed to expose a lot of weaknesses.  To me what makes the girls weaker are that aside from a couple of them, they all seem to blend together.  Thia stands out to me because she is so tiny and cute and has a really pretty (but not so powerful voice).  Naima stands out because of her style, but not so much vocally.  As for the rest, I can't distinguish much between Haley, Pia, Karen and Lauren.  They've all had very good and some mediocre moments, and all have strong voices - but nothing that just jumps out and distinguishes them completely from the others.

Now if you believe Dialidol the Top 4 are mostly guys: Scotty, James and Jacob, with Pia the only girl.  For me, the only 2 weaker guys are Stefano and Paul, though I can see all 6 of the guys having their own dedicated fanbases.  I'm not really a fan of those 3 guys, but every one of them is so completely distinguishable from the other, and each is talented in their own way.  Ditto for Casey/Seth.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 13, 2011, 11:56:07 PM

Can you be more specific?

Sure thing but I'll probably be wordy  icon_biggrin

The guys
When we watched last weeks shows - we actually ended the guys night feeling like we only heard a couple performances that really showed staying power (casey and james).  Assuming Casey's medical issues don't force him out - I think he'll go quite a lot ways in the competition because even with a bad week, he'll got enough like-ability and skill to carry him. As for James - He's got a good story which earns him a lot of support. This weeks song choice was brilliant by him because it gave him a chance to shine w/o resorting to his shriek in every song. Which was how I was starting to typecast him before that performance. If he can keep that up he could make it into the top 3 or 4.

Guys like jacob and scotty seem to be one trick ponies that just aren't going to be able to adapt and sound good once they get more genres forced on them (not to say that they aren't talented in their chosen genres - just don't think they're vocally diverse enough to handle this competition). Plus Jacob is an emotional basket-case and that's going to hurt his like-ability factor.

Stefano and Paul were both horrible. I think that stefano was a waste of a wildcard spot. He's just not good enough at all. He'll be gone within 3 weeks tops. Once they throw more genres at Paul - he's pretty much a shoe-in to be a "vote for the worst" candidate

As for the girls:
Pia is by far my favorite to win the whole thing. I just fear that she peaked too early. Now every week she'll be compared to these last few weeks which might end up hurting her in the end.  Personally - I'd like to see her win it because I think she's that good of a singer.

Lauren Alaina - Obviously an early favorite among the judges and a lot of people. No denying that she has talent but she's made some poor song choices (not bad - just nothing that's propelling her forward). She's got enough buzz though to carry her quite a ways - easily into the 6. But to get any further - she's got to define herself.

Thia Megia - She's sort of a wild-card, I don't think she has any chance of winning but with decent song choices she could keep coming back week after week for quite awhile. Sort of a stealth contestant.

Haley Reinhart - She's got a decent voice but I don't think she's mature enough to make good song choices. Plus at this point she's easily forgettable even right after she sings.  She might make it into top 10 if she's lucky.

Karen Rodriguez - She's a selena wannabe and I think it's obvious that she's trying to play that angle to win some votes. Depending on her song choices - I could see her either going home in the next 2 weeks or making it to the top 5 or 6 (but no further)

Naima Adedapo - While I was impressed with what she tried to do this week, I just don't think that she has enough like-ability or talent to carry her for too many weeks more. She'll probably be a vote for the worst candidate when it happens too.

My picks for top 4 are Pia, Lauren, James and Casey (although i think it's possible that Thia could knock one of those guys out of the top 4).
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 04:25:16 AM »

James Scotty Casey are my favorites.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 14, 2011, 04:25:16 AM

James and Casey I can understand - but do you think that Scotty is going to be able to sound good once they throw Jazz week or Aerosmith week at him?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »

He hasn't had to go outside his range, but his voice is amazing. It *almost* wants me to listen to country.

I'd love to see him do Man in Black.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 12:57:41 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 14, 2011, 02:16:07 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 14, 2011, 04:25:16 AM

James and Casey I can understand - but do you think that Scotty is going to be able to sound good once they throw Jazz week or Aerosmith week at him?

I wonder if the producers will slant the themes so he can find songs in his "lane"?  I have read a few reports from people inside the AI theater that say Scotty gets the most applause.  The show won't want to lose that draw too early in the process if at all.  Of course this week will be Lady GaGa week just to show how much I don't know.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 02:04:30 AM »

I predict a country version of Poker Face. slywink

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »

After last night's mash-up of Born this Way/Born to be Wild (gee, a mash-up?  I wonder where Fox got that idea!!!), they'll probably be steering clear of Lady Gaga for a while lol.  That was seriously one of the worst sounding ensembles I've ever heard, and I generally watch all of them no matter how painful.

Bottom 3 are all girls again.  Regardless of what you think about the quality of some of the guys (Paul and Stefano), or whether they are too locked into a genre (Scotty) or weird/scary (Jacob, Casey), they all stand out enough that they'll bring their own voting bases with them.  For better or worse they are memorable.  Of the girls, only Thia and Naima really stand out to me, Thia because she's so cute and Asian and doesn't belt out every note, Naima because of her style and attitude.  Unfortunately "talent" wise neither is likely strong enough to go too far.  The remaining girls all blend into the same diva-esque mold with slight twists here and there.  My guess is Haley goes next week (I heard it's Motown themed so maybe Naima gets a slight edge). 

I agree with Purge that Pia and Lauren are the only 2 girls with a chance to win, but after seeing them these past 2 weeks, I don't think either will.  Lauren has been much weaker than I'd imagined, and Pia in all honesty sounds good but kind of bores me, and this is coming from a devoted Whitney/Mariah/Celine diva fan. 
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »

Yeah - the only surprise that we had in my house during last nights episode was that Thia wasn't in the bottom three this week (but I'd be willing to bet that she was close after the last two performances).

For the guys - Scotty, Jacob and Casey seem to have the strongest draw and good enough performances each week. I know that there are people who like Paul and Steffano but I honestly believe that they will be the first two guys to go.

For the girls - it's still Pia and Lauren for us. We like Thia's voice but she doesn't seem to be able to deliver. Lauren made a bad song choice last week and was sick this week but still pulled in "good enough" performances. So I think she's got a lot more to show. Pia is consistently great, but I can see rritchards point - she does seem to carry herself almost too professionally in the competition - would be nice for her to mix it up a little and show off some more personality.

My guess is that the next four eliminations will be Haley, Naima, Paul and Steffano.

On a side note I'm beginning to wonder if Jacob is starting to get a little cocky - wonder if he'll slip up and make a comment that comes across too arrogant and hurts him (ala Justin Guarani in the first season).
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 18, 2011, 06:48:16 PM

On a side note I'm beginning to wonder if Jacob is starting to get a little cocky - wonder if he'll slip up and make a comment that comes across too arrogant and hurts him (ala Justin Guarani in the first season).

Good point - I could actually see Jacob, Casey or James making that kind of mistake if the judges keep filling their heads.  Even this week James made the "sing Aerosmith in the finals" comment which was kind of cute but also a bit cocky this early. 

On a side note, I still think Lee Dewyze is a cutie (mostly his blue eyes), but man did he seem boring (and kind of pitchy lol) compared to any of this year's guys.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »

Any thoughts on who's going home tonight?

I have to admit - i was pretty impressed with what Scotty did with his song last night. Think it started and ended incredibly strong - but thought there were a few issues in the middle where he seemed to try to move it closer to stevie wonders version. Still - a really solid performance that showed a lot of creativity in modifying the song to play to his strengths. He might be a lot stronger of a contender than I gave him credit for.

Based on last night's performances - my guesses are that Haley, Stefano and Naima are in trouble.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 24, 2011, 07:08:34 PM

Any thoughts on who's going home tonight?

I have to admit - i was pretty impressed with what Scotty did with his song last night. Think it started and ended incredibly strong - but thought there were a few issues in the middle where he seemed to try to move it closer to stevie wonders version. Still - a really solid performance that showed a lot of creativity in modifying the song to play to his strengths. He might be a lot stronger of a contender than I gave him credit for.

Based on last night's performances - my guesses are that Haley, Stefano and Naima are in trouble.

I didn't really like anyone much last night, even my boy Casey seemed almost like he was going Taylor Hicks on me.  I liked what James did at the end I guess (was that who you meant?  Scotty did the country song, right? ), but he's coming across like a less gay Adam Lambert to me.  I liked seeing my girls Naima and Thia move around, but I don't see either of them getting too much further. 

I'm guessing Haley goes tonight...
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »

Overall, I thought it was a very strong show.

Stefano: The only real clunker to me. He sang a really strange sounding arrangement of Hello, by Lionel Ritchie, and took it way over the top.
Haley: I actually liked Haley's performance and thought it was her best one since the finals started. Sadly, she might be the one to go tonight. I don't think she has much of a fan base voting for her after so many bad weeks in a row.
Naima: Sang on key for once, but the dancing felt so contrived and like a gimmick.
Thia: Was just okay. I really like her voice, but she seems to be really struggling with her identity as a singer. She will probably advance based on her built in Filipino vote.
Scotty: I was predicting this would be a bit of a fall for him since it is way outside of his genre. However, it was a very good country take on Motown. I agree with Jimmy Iovine who cautioned him about becoming too much of a lounge singer. Scotty was really getting dangerously close to that. Some of his gestures towards the end of his song were lounge quality cheese.
Pia: The whole package and my pick for the winner of the season, but I completely agree with the judges that she needs to do something other than a power ballad.
Casey: I wish he would do something other than angry growling bear.
Jacob: Great control (for once) and a very strong performance.
Paul: I started out hating the guy for his weird voice and off putting stumbling around on stage. However, I do have to say his last two performances have been very good. Last night in particular was really well done.
Lauren: Sang okay, but there is something clearly missing compared to how she was leading up to the finals shows. Maybe it's her song choices but I keep waiting for her to really blow everyone away and while she has a great voice, the personality and stage presence is a little lacking of late.
James: Awesome. The dude has great stage presence and when he reigns in his screaming and exercises some control, he is great.

Other than Stefano in my estimation, everyone else did rather well. The quality of singing was definitely very strong. Plus, I agreed with all the adivice Jimmy Iovine and the judges were giving to each contestant. I'm glad there is a concerted effort to really help them grow as singers and performers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:05:23 PM by Jimmy the Fish » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »

Hard to say who goes home, no obvious train wrecks so I'm going to say Haylee (sp?) is heading home after being in the bottom 3 the last two weeks and having to go right in the middle of the show so who can remember her? Do like that she is showing lots of leg but I don't think it will be enough.  Also in the bottom 3 I'd say Thia (boring song again) and Stefano (who I didn't think did that great a job with Hello) will be the first boy on the Stools of Shame.  Naima may end up back on the SoS's as well, the song was ok but the dancing didn't add to the whole thing for me (for you).   Paul didn't impress either but again nobody seemed off note like last week, I wonder if it was a technical problem that they fixed up.  I've got a Lust for Lusk (to leave as soon as possible) as he bugs me greatly with his singing.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »

Much better performances all the way around. I think Pia has become my favorite but I kinda disagree with the judges. She is good enough (imo anyway) to do whatever she wants to do. If its a ballad each week, so be it. I will love her each week. They always go on about them "knowing who they are" so wtf is wrong with being a powerful ballad singer that primarily stands and delivers?? Plus, last week she did have a little tempo to her song but its like they didn't even acknowledge that. I predict next week she will cave and sing something up tempo, it will be mediocre yet the judges will pat themselves on the back and praise her for the performance.

James definitely turned it around from that horrible performance last week and is back on track. He is getting pretty cocky but, damn, he seems to be really be hitting his stride.

I am tired of Lusk. Really dislike his forced low notes, especially when combined with his vibrato and strange facial expressions. He should stay far away from those but he always seems to put them in there.

Also tired of Scotty. Yeah, he sounds like a throw-back country singer. Who gives a f***? There is a reason that shit went out of style. Let it die already. Its to the point with me like it is with those Frank-Sinatra-style singers they have every year or so. Go away already.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2011, 12:17:22 AM »

I think Stefano was trying to do a "Latin" styled Hello.... instead it just sounded awkward but I think J-Ho still likes him in a cougar-ish way.

I'm really a bit perplexed at the Pia love.  I find her kind of boring week after week, even though she sounds good.  But yet again I can't even remember what she sang.  I think I'm most perplexed that all you straight guys are liking the "pure diva" and I'm not getting into it, even though as I mentioned I generally love all the traditional divas.  What's happening!!?!?

Vote for the Worst is just so mean, it's hilarious.  Here's their take on Jacob:

Jacob Lusk says heís going to tone down the high notes and relax a bit during his performance of ďYouíre All I Need to Get By.Ē But 2 seconds in, heís already queening out and doing some eyelash fluttering. He canít help it and I canít help but love him. The sassy neck rolls and the funny faces along with that falsetto scream at the end make me realize Jacob Lusk can never not be VFTW. Good to know for the future. Steven runs up on stage and hugs him, and after the judges all overpraise him since the producers want Jacob on the tour, a line of women come up to hug him too. Way to try to make Jacob look straight, Idol. Youíre trying too hard and no oneís buying it. Even Clay Aiken is sitting at home saying, ďGirl, please.Ē Then when a dude tries to hug Jacob, Ryan cuts off the hug line. Dude, thatís the one person in the line Jacob wanted to hug.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »

That was one of the strangest results shows Evah!  Stevie Wonder! Birthday cake! Hulk Hogan!  SugarLand!  JHud! (fyi Ryan she didn't win AI) Casey in the bottom 3 and going home!  But NOOOOOooooo it's the save for the growling beast.

Entertaining for a show that I usually bleep-bloop to the results and manage to get through the entire thing in like 5 minutes.  I had to watch this whole thing.  I kinda feel for Haley who got no props for not being in the bottom 3 and making the tour, if the producers are in any way trying to setup the results then I expect to see her gone very soon.  WTF with Amanda Obermeyer wearing cowboy boots with that dress?  Oh that's Lauren Alaina?  Hard to tell sometimes.

I'm glad we got some of the men in the bottom three and I can't say they didn't deserve to be there, Stefano wasn't all that great and Casey was good but not excellent and he went first.  Thia as always is boring boring boring.  I'm calling Casey for the pimp slot or close to it next week, gotta get him more votes.  Haley will go second into the death slot and out of our AI show.

I like Pia since she is always in tune but she also can be boring on stage, she seems quite likable in the behind the scenes shots we get of her.  Being pretty and wearing classy outfits week after week doesn't hurt at all.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »

Question is - does this mean they're taking 11 on tour or is no one safe on tour?

Frankly I think Casey ends up looking angry, and since he's frightening all the little girls (rittchard, we love you slywink) he's not getting the votes.

I thought Stefano should have gone home. Pia did better this week, and I like some of the safe eye candy.

My bet is that, barring any shocking changes in behaviour, that whoever wins AI will be up against James in the final. Who knows, maybe he wins.

Jacob has a fantastic voice when he's not bouncing it around like a pinball with the gospel vibratos. I don't mind listening to him, but something about his body language really distracts from his performance.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

All 11 will be on tour, Ryan mentioned it at the end of the show.  Also two people go home next week.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 06:40:46 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 25, 2011, 06:22:57 PM

Question is - does this mean they're taking 11 on tour or is no one safe on tour?

Frankly I think Casey ends up looking angry, and since he's frightening all the little girls (rittchard, we love you slywink) he's not getting the votes.

I thought Stefano should have gone home. Pia did better this week, and I like some of the safe eye candy.

My bet is that, barring any shocking changes in behaviour, that whoever wins AI will be up against James in the final. Who knows, maybe he wins.

Jacob has a fantastic voice when he's not bouncing it around like a pinball with the gospel vibratos. I don't mind listening to him, but something about his body language really distracts from his performance.

Agree with pretty much everything here...  

While I also like his voice, Jacob's gayosity factor is just a bit much, even for me.  He's like a drag queen on steroids.  All the eye fluttering, the giant mouth machinations, the hand waving back and forth, it's all kind of creepy and incongruous on someone who might otherwise look like that guy from The Green Mile.  It is kind of mesmerizing to watch, though, if you like to torture yourself.

I have to say Pia was much more fun and attractive in the house footage.  Even though it was kind of contrived, it was still pretty cute.  The Hulk Hogan stuff was pretty bizarre, though, and it looks like we know who is being pimped the hardest at this point (James).  

The end was definitely a shock, I was surprised Casey was even in the bottom 3, let alone the last one.  For a second it looked like his face went so pale I thought he was going to die right there on stage.  I don't think he was faking it but who knows.  I guess I'm gonna have to start voting again since I skipped the last 2 weeks and now they dumped my poor Thia and Casey in the bottom!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »

A very bizarre results show, but it was SO entertaining. The wrestling/Hulk Hogan appearance was hilarious. James looked like he was going to faint from seeing his WWF idol.

Totally agree with the Jacob gayosity. During his performance the other night, the goofy facial expressions and gestures were way too over the top. I still like his voice though but he really needs to develop some self control.

Casey looked like he was going to throw up at then end.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »

.... also, Casey almost went down on Seacrest. saywhat

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2011, 10:31:10 PM »

Was a good show. We thought the Hulk Hogan scene was hilarious. James looked like a little boy on Xmas morning when Hulk came out.

As soon as Ryan said the results would be surprising tonight - my first thought was that Casey would be on the chopping block. Still kind of a shock to see him there though. He's been shoved in the early to middle of the singing pack for several weeks so it's possible the people are tending to forget about him by the shows end.

Was really surprised that the judges stopped him from singing and saved him immediately. Thought his reaction was genuine too - agree with Jimmy - there were a couple of moments there where it looked like he was about to throw up on nationwide TV.

Pia is still my girl to win the competition.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:34:17 PM by DarkEL » Logged
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 25, 2011, 07:24:34 PM

Yeah - I noticed that too. Was surprised Ryan didn't make some sort of awkward joke about it like he does whenever something similar happens with a female contestant.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2011, 12:30:41 AM »

I disagree with the judges' decision to save Casey. I love the guy - I love his whole style. But he is in no way, shape, or form American Idol best-selling artist material. The Idol I think he most closely matches with is Taylor Hicks - entertaining on the show, but a total disaster to market commercially. They really should have saved it for someone who actually had a shot of winning but was voted out due to a really poor song choice or off night. I don't think Casey was voted out because of an off-night - I think he was voted out because he's quickly become a one-trick pony.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2011, 04:59:48 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 25, 2011, 10:32:14 PM

Yeah - I noticed that too. Was surprised Ryan didn't make some sort of awkward joke about it like he does whenever something similar happens with a female contestant.

Casey was stunned - I think it would have come off as crass.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 26, 2011, 04:59:48 AM

Quote from: DarkEL on March 25, 2011, 10:32:14 PM

Casey was stunned - I think it would have come off as crass.

I LOL'ed when they recapped this incident last night and Casey thanked Ryan and Seacreast started to say "my pleasure" but quickly changed to "that's my job".
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »

I have to figure my girl Naima is headed home tonight.  In the second position death slot and singing Elton John reggae version resulted in the harshest criticism of the night.  I was totally wrong about Haley since I figured her to be in a forgettable slot and heading home but she did surprisingly well (best of the night Randy? eh I didn't think so) and may have climbed out of the bottom 3 for many weeks to come. 

Not sure who else may be going home, Stefano wasn't all that good and buried in the middle of the crowd of singers and may hit the road tonight as well.  Thia did much better for me at the start of her song but kinda fell apart in the later stages but for once I wasn't bored with her.  Jacob managed to rein it in for quite a long time on his song and this week suspended my Lust for Lusk (to go home).  James is getting very comfortable up on stage but the burning piano was far over the top for me (for you, for me tm Randy).  Lauren was pretty good but even when she sings well I don't like her.  Pia must stay for one more week if she really is going to sing "River Deep, Mountain High" as she mentioned in the behind the stage segment., I love that song.  Casey trims the beard but can't remove the growl from his song and did nothing to earn all the praise the judgery heaped on him, safe for sure.  Scotty is now on the bugging me list with the endless country twang, I get that is who he is but it isn't what I like to listen to.  Paul may also end up in the bottom 3 in my mind since I didn't like his rocket man at all, seemed weak and low volume.

So bottom 3

Naima
Paul
Stefano

Going home
Naima
Stefano
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 31, 2011, 09:14:23 PM

Going home
Naima
Stefano

That is my guess too, although I will be sad to see Naima go as well. She had her shot though and I can't blame america for not seeing her through. I was really hoping she would pick a song that would showcase her powerful voice but it was not be and turned out to be a pretty weak performance. I think song choice over the past 3 weeks was her downfall. That and listening too much to the judges.

I thought Casey's performance was one of the better ones of the night though. Haley's was a big surprise to me and I enjoyed it a lot. Those, along with the rock-solid Pia were my top 3 of the night. James really seems to be hit-or-miss for me. 3 weeks ago (beatles), brilliant, 2 weeks ago (bon jovi), horrible. Last week, awesome. This week, pretty weak.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »

I absolutely loved Casey last night, just everything about it was perfect for me, like falling in love for the first time  Fabulous  Although I get YK's comparisons to the dreadful Taylor Hicks, I disagree entirely.  Taylor was a jaded old pro and worked his drunked old uncle schtick to perfection, plus when he wasn't smiling he looked like a serial killer, I just hated everything about him.  Casey is raw and fresh and adorably cute in a weird geeky way.  I think he has a ton of raw talent and is still finding his way musically.  I do agree he may be hard to market though. 

Scotty is really starting to bug me, even though he does look pretty handsome in those still shots.  His country one-trick pony is likely going to ride him to the final 4 if not further.  Grandmas and kiddies and country folk myst all love him.  I think my girl Thia is going tonight, she just doesn't stand out enough amongst the power divas (Pia) and sluts (Haley), though I thought she looked gorgeous in a couple of the still shots as well.  16?  Yeesh!  I love Naima, she's so much fun and has a great energy, but as you guys said, probably going home.  Lauren finally stepped up and did a nice job, hopefully she's back in the hunt.  I don't like Stefano but I think little girls are voting for him this time, maybe him and Scotty.  James and Jacob are the most interesting anomalies.  They both stand out so much in your mind, but I could see people having either a love him or hate him thing with both/either.  (Side note, I read James kind of freaked out after meeting Hulk Hogan.)  As for Pia?  I liked her more than last week but she is still boring.  I thought lil David Archuleta did the song better than she did, less power but more nuanced.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »

Ugh, sometimes I hate being right, lost both my girls (Thia and Naima) in one fell swoop.  I actually voted for them both this time too!   crybaby
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »

Catch them on tour. I don't feel bad about anyone in this competition. It's all fierce. My only pony in this is that I want James in the final (if only to hear him try to tackle Dream On or something).

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »

Well I have no idea who is heading home after tonight's show.  I'd like to say Paul since I didn't love it near as much as the judgery did but he was in the pimp slot.  Jakob would be my choice just based on his pre-song comments about if he ended up in the bottom 3 it was not because he sang poorly but instead it is that America won't look at themselves in the mirror.  Ass.  

Really I liked all but Paul's performances but my girl Pia didn't hit it out of the park like I thought she could have.

Lauren was just ok but I couldn't get past the fact that the stylists must hate her to send her out in that outfit that did nothing but highlight her large rear.  Shallow I know but that is what I was thinking,  didn't care all that much for the song either.  

Stefano lost me with his high tone at the start of the song but he did much better as it went along,  I'll put him in the bottom 3 though.

Haley was pretty good at the Joplin stuff and I like her but going second in the death slot could be a problem, back to the stools this week???

I was surprised that Scotty didn't do Folsom Prison Blues instead of Paul but he did all he needed to do to stay out of the bottom 3.

Casey and the standup bass are back and it was much better than previous weeks, I'm sure he will not find the bottom 3 this week.

I have not watched every season of Idol but I don't remember a stronger top 9 than these.

I'll call bottom 3 only because they have been there before but I think there is an outside chance that Lauren could end up down there.

Haley
Stefano
Paul
with Paul heading home (I hope)

edited to add, what the heck was Haley doing smiling during "Piece of my Heart"?  That did stand out to me and not in a good way, she really does need more connection with her songs.

Oh and how could I forget?

Get Wil.I.Am off my Idol stage from now until forever!%!%!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:54:03 AM by Zinfan » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »

VFTW is just so mean, but so funny and for the most part on target:

http://www.votefortheworst.com/blog/667206/top-9-recap-i-was-too-busy-looking-at-myself-in

Just the first sentence is priceless:

For Rock and Roll week, itís a train wreck in the making. Will.i.am decides to give advice, Gwen Stefani styles the girls to look like whores, and the song choices are beyond ridiculous. And Idolís back. After a lackluster Elton John week, this week had me standing and clapping like a coked up Alabama hopscotch dancing guitar player.

I liked Casey (no surprise), Lauren and Pia, and that was about it. 

Scotty as Elvis sounded decent but the "performance" was just awkward and hilarious and kind of weird.  Jacob continues to scare me, I actually thought for a second he might don a wig mid-song and announce he was gonna "make that change" to become a cross-dresser.  I'm not joking, I really thought that.  I don't get Paul at all, he's a freakshow to me and his white teeth are creeping me out.  Stefano is OK, but I think he's just J-Ho's fantasy boy, like some younger cuter version of her ugly husband.  I didn't sit through all of Adam Lambert, I mean James' performance, but he's starting to wear out on me.  I like Haley but I'm not liking any of her song choices.

I agree with Zinfan's choices but I think Haley might go.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »

I thought Lauren was terrible. She really is showing her lack of experience imho, giving nothing to her performances to go along with her "duuuhh" personality. Its like kelly pickler with none of the charm. But Jacob and Scotty were not much better. That fake-as-hell "stage rush" at the end of Scotty's performance really pissed me off. I assume it's because AI knows country sells and this is their way of pimping him. Unfortunately these could end up being the top 3.

Did not care for durbin's performance, just not a good song choice imho, especially considering the theme. Pia did ok, bringing it home in the 2nd half of the song. Haley was entertaining I felt but she seems to be resigned to her fate and not concerned with trying to win.

I also felt the outfits and hairstyles were pretty horrible other than Haley's.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:13 AM »

If you believe dialidol, Scotty is routinely #1 - I think he is getting a ton of little girl votes + country votes + grandma votes.  Those are 3 big voting blocks for American Idol, probably the Big 3.  He could very well win, which is probably why Randy set it up last night with all his "Scotty is in it to win it" comments.  Personally I don't get him, he's like Howdy Doody blended with a teenage George Bush sounding like Elvis singing country songs.  There's a weird combo no one would ever think of, it's like some Spore design gone awry.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2011, 01:25:06 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!

Where has all my eye candy gone???!??!?!

America looked in the mirror and said "I hate VaJayJay's"

That was so wrong and worse then voting Daughtry off.

I blame Jennifer and Gwen Steffani for this travesty,  Gwen for hiding Pia's girls with that horrid jumpsuit last night and Jennifer for laying down criticism however slight or well intentioned at Pia while slavering over the rest of the singers all night long. 

Tonight really showed me what Simon brought to the Idol world, no way does he let everyone get high praise and thereby nobody stands out.

How you liking that judges save for Casey now Randy? eh fuck off dude.

hehe I guess Pia was boring but damn did you see her bring out the girls tonight?  One day too late of course but man she looked hot and so did Haley, Lauren of course looked like a 40 yr old mom heading to a PTA meeting in a baby shit brown jump suit.

I'm not sure I can hang in for much more of this season, there is more sausage on that stage then at a Chicago stockyard.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2011, 04:55:35 AM »

Shocking. Just shocking. Felt real bad for Pia. I can only guess there are a couple of explanations for this. One, she was so consistently good from week to week, that eventually, everyone sort of took it for granted that she would keep surviving and people stopped voting for her. Or two, there is a very large segment of the voting public that is skewed towards young girls/women who would rather vote for all the cute guys instead of the girls.

You see this occasionally on Idol over the years. Some contestants are so clearly better and more consistent than everyone else, and they get voted out early due to whatever freak reason. I think the same sort of thing happened to Constantine Maroulis when he was a contestant.

As for Pia, in the bigger picture, she is the one singer this season who clearly doesn't need a long run on Idol to start her career. She is so polished and such a great singer that she can sign a record deal tomorrow, record an album and be very successful. So, while colossally disappointing that she got eliminated, it just means a quicker start to signing stardom.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: