http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol 2008  (Read 9386 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »

I suppose I can retire my icon now.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 22, 2008, 07:36:43 AM

...(but hey according to Robin from HIMYM Bruce Springsteen is the American Bryan Adams so that was Legen...wait for it...... DARY having him on smile).

Blasphemy.  Don't ever go to NJ.  Comments like that could get you killed.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »

Clearly you've never ever, really ever loved a woman.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2008, 04:23:23 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 22, 2008, 12:57:21 PM

I thought the Gladys Knight sketch ran too long, but it was cool to see Jack Black, Ben Stiller, and Robert Downey, Jr. on stage together. Then I realized they're all in the new movie Tropic Thunder and that this was just another piece of marketing. Ugh.

I never got that it was a marketing ploy until some one mentioned Tropic Thunder, that did take the shine off the bit for me.  And did Randy use the snow shovel on Captain Kangaroo in order to steal his suit?  That was oh so bad a look.  Paula was heading for a Janet Jackson Super Bowl moment when she was up on the stage swaying around during the "You are my brother" song.  Paula also called it a week or two ago for Cook, man that can't be good for future seasons if she and Simon are trying to out do each other in predictions.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2008, 04:18:21 PM

Clearly you've never ever, really ever loved a woman.

Nope.  Their beauty always pales in comparison.  The only love worth my time is self love.  No woman could ever be even remotely as fabulous.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 22, 2008, 04:17:16 PM

Quote from: Zinfan on May 22, 2008, 07:36:43 AM

...(but hey according to Robin from HIMYM Bruce Springsteen is the American Bryan Adams so that was Legen...wait for it...... DARY having him on smile).

Blasphemy.  Don't ever go to NJ.  Comments like that could get you killed.

I thought just showing up in NJ could get you killed?  Or stranded in the pine barrens and forgotten forever?  icon_biggrin
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 22, 2008, 01:37:00 PM

Quote from: tjg_marantz on May 22, 2008, 12:45:48 PM

Just to rewind a bit, I just watched last night Fantasia's appearance from a few weeks back.

Sorry but I dug it. It wasn't the cookie cutter shit everyone else does when they show up there. It was more suited to a small-ish concert venue where people expect it but I'm sorry. I liked that she is doing her thing and I enjoyed it.  ninja

I'm not the only one then. I'm not a huge fan of Fantasia but the girl walks down her own road, and I like that.

Thanks Jimmy the Fish for that pic  ninja
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2008, 04:38:33 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 22, 2008, 04:35:05 PM

Just to rewind a bit, I just watched last night Fantasia's appearance from a few weeks back.

Sorry but I dug it. It wasn't the cookie cutter shit everyone else does when they show up there. It was more suited to a small-ish concert venue where people expect it but I'm sorry. I liked that she is doing her thing and I enjoyed it.  ninja

I'm not the only one then. I'm not a huge fan of Fantasia but the girl walks down her own road, and I like that.

That was my exact same facial expression during Fantasia's "performance." 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2008, 05:11:04 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 22, 2008, 04:38:33 PM

Quote from: Zinfan on May 22, 2008, 04:35:05 PM

That was my exact same facial expression during Fantasia's "performance." 

+2 (for the GF and I)

Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »

Anyone see the look on Archie's face immediately before, and as they announced, Cook the winner?

Archie's expression didn't change.  Not a bit.

That kid knew he had lost.  Someone tipped him off.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »

Quote from: Darkstar One on May 22, 2008, 05:37:07 PM

Anyone see the look on Archie's face immediately before, and as they announced, Cook the winner?

Archie's expression didn't change.  Not a bit.

That kid knew he had lost.  Someone tipped him off.

Given that he was always surprised when he won, I think he honestly thought Cook was the better artist and thusly wasn't as affected by it.

I don't think Archie is a bad guy, I just don't like his voice or his awkwardness. He is talented vocally, and I look forward to a time when his balls drop and he gets away from the Kumbaya shit. The hello-kitty pantie-wearing ign'ant girls that pushed him past Syesha were annoying the hell out of me.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »

I think everyone pretty much knew in advance (possibly also based on the previous week's results?), and the dialidol results were dead on again, as they have been every year since they started.  I think it's much easier for them to predict the final (and not just because they have a 50/50 shot).  Their technique of busy percentages is particularly effective the last night, where there are a lot of busy hits.  Archie's lines were busy all the way past 10pm, FYI.

I'm not sure when the tide actually turned against lil David.  I know you guys all didn't like him but this is a fairly isolated semographic (geeky straight guys - no offense cuz I love you all!).  I know Cook gained a ton of momentum in the middle weeks where Archie was floundering or coasting.  What threw me off was the week of ffinal 4, when they claimed the voting was within a million votes for the top 3 contestants.  So does that mean the following week (of 3) was the key?  Did all of Jason's voters migrate to David?  If that was the pivotal week, I'd blame the producers for the unbalanced song choices.  Archie would have built up huge momentum going into the final with a combo of Paula's ballad choice, One Republic's Apologize (ironic he got to sing this last night, I was wanting him to sing this all season), and Groban's You Raise Me Up.  But whatever, too late now, and it's also possible the decision was made weeks ago when Cook was leading the votes week to week.

Anyway, my favorite part of the show was Archie's Guitar Hero commercial (I missed the Cook version I guess?).  Damn he looked so cute and energetic and like an actual real human kid for once!  If he had shown that kind of joy and personality in a couple of performances, who knows...
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »

I watched the shows last night after DVRing them.  I think that Archuletta had a better night than Cook Tuesday, but both should do well.  I did think Cook deserved to win.

My wife and I laughed a lot at the "Pips" of Stiller/Black/Downey Jr.  One of the few parts we didn't fast forward through.  The Jimmy Kimmel arrangement of Simon's insults to music was pretty good too.

Was what Carrie Underwood wearing even legal?  They must have put in that camera angle to keep the guys watching.  Paula was headed for a wardrobe malfunction in that dress.

Loved the ZZ Top performance.  Brian Adams looks really old, and George Michael looks like "Death" according to my wife.

I hated the fact that the dragged the announcement of the winner after my DVR had stopped recording.  We did see clips this morning, but still, the AI folks know how to drag on the announcement of the winner in a two-hour show.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2008, 06:44:09 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 22, 2008, 06:19:34 PM

I'm not sure when the tide actually turned against lil David.  I know you guys all didn't like him but this is a fairly isolated semographic (geeky straight guys - no offense cuz I love you all!).  I know Cook gained a ton of momentum in the middle weeks where Archie was floundering or coasting.  What threw me off was the week of ffinal 4, when they claimed the voting was within a million votes for the top 3 contestants.  So does that mean the following week (of 3) was the key?  Did all of Jason's voters migrate to David?  If that was the pivotal week, I'd blame the producers for the unbalanced song choices.  Archie would have built up huge momentum going into the final with a combo of Paula's ballad choice, One Republic's Apologize (ironic he got to sing this last night, I was wanting him to sing this all season), and Groban's You Raise Me Up.  But whatever, too late now, and it's also possible the decision was made weeks ago when Cook was leading the votes week to week.

I seriously think his problem was that he started out way ahead and then didn't grow, or even change, *at all*  The performance he gave on the final night was no better, no worse, and no different than the performance he gave at the beginning od the season.  Along the way the other contestants that survived had standout moments that won them fans (or lost them fans, in notable cases) or showed consistent improvement.  Those that didn't improve or change or surprise anyone over the course of the season  (and I'm thinking of Carly and that Michael guy) never added fans/votes.  It's a testament to David A (and his talent) that he was performing at such a high level all the way through that the fact that he never grew as a performer didn't doom him earlier.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2008, 02:07:45 AM »

Quote from: Graham on May 22, 2008, 06:29:26 PM

Loved the ZZ Top performance.  Brian Adams looks really old, and George Michael looks like "Death" according to my wife.

GM does look a LOT different - this is coming from a straight guy, but that dude used to be ridiculously good looking, back in the 80's. For you younger folks, he could've snapped his fingers and had almost any woman drop to her knees.

That said, his song was one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've heard in a long time. Very heartfelt, and very moving. His voice has deteriorated greatly (that was another thing, his voice back in the 80's was incredible), but that song, the lyrics, were very powerful.

For the record, i'm stunned at the winner. I would've bet the house on Archuletta. Not because I thought he deserved it, but because, 40 million teenage girls with cell phones can't be wrong. It turns out, even despite the judges gushing over Archie on Tues night, they picked the right guy. Now I just hope Cook doesn't get locked into one of those album deals with the shitty teen pop crap like Jordin Sparks has been doing. Her song royally sucked Wed night, and I'm a fan of hers.

Carrie Underwood looked smokin' hot, btw. Great legs!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:23:39 AM by Jeff Jones » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »

What do Justin Guarini, Clay Akin, Bo Bice and David Archuleta have in common?  Well aside from finishing second in Idol?

Spoiler for Hiden:
They all sang "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me".  Maybe Clive knew Archie wasn't going to win so cursed him with this song
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: