http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol 2008  (Read 9319 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2008, 08:40:01 PM »

I always found her talented but kind of scary.

With the added weight, the bright pink hair and the weird braces or whatever on her teeth, she is flat out terrifying.  Run away, little David, she's coming to eat you!!!!

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »

Fantasia: blech. Simons look: priceless.

David A needs to go back home, finish high school and leave the singing to the professionals.

Whether or not Cook wins, he will be signing a record deal. He's too good to not have someone begging him to sign.

May you live long and prosper, David Cook.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2008, 11:30:51 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 15, 2008, 06:01:17 PM

Cook will do fine either way (maybe better if he loses and has more control of his options), as I said before I think he's more talented than Daughtry.  Archie needs to win to be successful, IMHO.  Do the requisite tour and album, then take a couple years off to get some life experience before doing another.

A lot of people are saying things like this but does it really make a difference? They signed on the dotted line long ago so I don't see why the winner would have any less "control over his options" than any of the other ones. In all honesty, the winner might even have more control over their destiny since they have a little more clout. The others have to endure those loser tours unless their keepers decide to let them go solo (ala Daughtry).
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2008, 05:00:59 AM »

Well it's over now, time to count up the votes.  I liked the change this year where each singer got to chose from one of ten songs in the song writing contest, not like last year where poor Blake had to sing that sappy "Here is my (shoot me) now".

I have been a David Cook fan all this time and I liked what he did tonight.  His 3 songs all seemed different from each other and I like that he picked a song he never performed for his own choice.

Snow Shovel face did his usual ballad, ballad and surprise song choice at the finish a ballad all while straining to keep his eyes open. 

Not much for me to say in detail, Simon thought that Archie won the night but I hope the voters go for some originality rather than that pap that Utah Slim tossed out there.  And why did they have to add David Lloyd Webber back into the mix?  Back to Broadway for him.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2008, 05:06:47 AM »

That was he-fucking-larious. Even Ryan Seacrest gave a nod to Archuleta. Does the voting even count?

Cook has lost the match, and gained more respect. At least he wasn`t serving up leftovers.

I think Archuleta peaked before Syesha was voted off; she would have been a better idol.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen a more blatantly biased finale (not due to song choice like last year, but due to just about everything else). It was very frustrating, only because Cook is obviously the better "artist." I won't deny David A probably has the better pure singing chops, but he is so bland, formulaic, and representative of all that is wrong with the music industry today that it was just disheartening to see him essentially crowned the winner before the contest even began.

I really liked Cook's subtle jab at the end, when Simon told him he should have sung Billie Jean or Hello. "I look at this as a progression, and didn't see the point in singing something I'd already sung before." BOOM. Take that Archuleta, you predictable little shit. Seriously, when I found out David A was singing "Imagine" as his last song, my eyes rolled up so far in my head I nearly had a seizure.

Well, David A will win, he will go on to produce a couple of Josh Groban-esque sappy ballad albums that only old women will buy, and David Cook will be free to go the Daughtry route and produce some kick-ass-albeit-mainstream rock that will get about 1000 times more radio play.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »

PTWANG!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »

I'm Pi$$ed cuz I only got through on the freakin phone twice to vote for Cook! Stupid tweenage girls and their cell phones! AARGH!!!!!!

Cook rox! He did AWESOME, I don't care what the judges said. They need a snowshovel to the head also.

I'm not worried about Cook: he's gonna make some awesome CD's and blow Archie-boy into the weeds over the next few years.

LONG LIVE COOK!!

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2008, 02:25:27 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 21, 2008, 12:41:00 PM

Well, David A will win, he will go on to produce a couple of Josh Groban-esque sappy ballad albums that only old women will buy

This is kind of funny. Last night I was saying to my wife that we didn't need Archuleta as we already have a Josh Groban and he's much better at it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »

David A will be yet another winner along the lines of Studdard, Barrino, and Hicks. He will go on to be a ballad pro in the music industry, wow, like we don't have enough of those already.

David C will be more successful, no doubt. The man can actually think for himself, and is already mainstream radio material.

Congrats to David A and his daddy for really surprising us with another stellar night of ballads. finger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »

I think my new icon speaks for itself (and the quote below it).

<---------------

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen a more blatantly biased finale (not due to song choice like last year, but due to just about everything else). It was very frustrating, only because Cook is obviously the better "artist." I won't deny David A probably has the better pure singing chops, but he is so bland, formulaic, and representative of all that is wrong with the music industry today that it was just disheartening to see him essentially crowned the winner before the contest even began.

I really liked Cook's subtle jab at the end, when Simon told him he should have sung Billie Jean or Hello. "I look at this as a progression, and didn't see the point in singing something I'd already sung before." BOOM. Take that Archuleta, you predictable little shit. Seriously, when I found out David A was singing "Imagine" as his last song, my eyes rolled up so far in my head I nearly had a seizure.

Well, David A will win, he will go on to produce a couple of Josh Groban-esque sappy ballad albums that only old women will buy, and David Cook will be free to go the Daughtry route and produce some kick-ass-albeit-mainstream rock that will get about 1000 times more radio play.

I dunno bud, a tad hard on the little fella. How many times do you hear a hit song and then see the artist singing it over and over and over again, every appearance they make? All the time.
David A. Did a song he loves. Got great reviews on. And he played to the crowd. How is that wrong when you're trying to win a competition?

Do you think if David Cook makes a hit record he'll only ever sing it once live?

I think David Cook is an arrogant, smarmy phoney. I really do. Its an act. Look at me, I'm the rebel without a cause...bah...come on David C., once you make a hit record you'll be pimping that sucker on Late night talk shows like a two-bit whore.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2008, 05:37:31 PM »

Are you kidding me? In a singing competition you go back to an old success to try and gain more out of it?

Sad. I'm glad Cook didn't do an encore of one of his winning songs. He was competing rather than standing on the same old soapbox hoping people listen again.

It doesn't matter though. Archuleta is going to wear his pretty little AI tiara and get buried under an avalanche of size 8 hello-kitty panties. I'm going to need to find a bigger shovel just to dig him out.

Hell, they almost screwed up and gave it to him LAST night.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 21, 2008, 05:10:38 PM

I dunno bud, a tad hard on the little fella. How many times do you hear a hit song and then see the artist singing it over and over and over again, every appearance they make? All the time.
David A. Did a song he loves. Got great reviews on. And he played to the crowd. How is that wrong when you're trying to win a competition?

Do you think if David Cook makes a hit record he'll only ever sing it once live?

I think David Cook is an arrogant, smarmy phoney. I really do. Its an act. Look at me, I'm the rebel without a cause...bah...come on David C., once you make a hit record you'll be pimping that sucker on Late night talk shows like a two-bit whore.

My wife actually finds Archuleta to be an empty one-dimensional phoney and one-trick pony.  She feels his "ooooh, I'm just happy to be here" facade is a product of his father's gestapo-like management approach.  Either that or he's simply a blank airhead (which is certainly how he comes across).  And when he sings anything other than a ballad he comes off as awkward and uncomfortable outside of his ballad comfort zone.  I think Cook's smarmy impression is due to the fact that Archuleta has been the obvious favorite for so long leading up to this point, and he simply came out and did his thing, not worrying about winning as he felt the trophy had already been handed to Archuleta long ago.  I got the impression that he just enjoyed the moment and had already come to terms with coming in second.  

I was a little irritated by Cowell's comments depicting Archuleta as the unbeatable favorite, as he obviously performed as your stereotypical record company puppet and showed no versatility whatsoever, performing three ballads for the night, but this morning I started wondering about something.  In seasons past when we've had a clear favorite, I think voting tapers off for that favorite as people assume they are already a shoe-in and instead vote for the underdog to ensure that they remain a contender as well.  Perhaps Cowell had this in mind by purposefully painting Archuleta as the favorite as he's had a stiffy for Cook for some time now, knowing that this would put Cook voters into overdrive, earning him the upset as many may already assume Archuleta to be a lock.  

I may be reading into this a bit much, but it seemed a bit "odd" to have Cowell giving Archuleta so much praise, and if past surprises are any indication, if so many assume Archuleta to be the guaranteed winner, this may drive Cook fans into voting overdrive.  I'm anxious to see how this plays out

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »

Yes. Last week's song selections from the judges were used to cut into their competition's fan base. I can see the show working to try and make this close. Perhaps you're right, Mister PeteRock.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »

David Cook has you guys bamboozled. He's no more origional than David A. Just different. So lets debate whats better, apples or oranges...

David A. is a super insecure young teen-age boy. You can't fault him for that. Its a teeny-bopper show after all.
And from all indications he has a stage-Dad who is smothering him. But you still can't knock him for that.

He has a pure voice. One that doesn't appeal to everyone, but then again David Cook just sounds like a million other "screamers" trying to fit the mold of Knickleback-wanna-bees.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »

He sounds like he's singing though the chunnels that exit out the front of his face.

He's a Buble hack at best. He should be singing on World vision commercials, not actually performing anywhere.

Cook isn't the best rocker out there, but he's the best in that competition.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 21, 2008, 05:49:58 PM

David Cook has you guys bamboozled. He's no more origional than David A. Just different. So lets debate whats better, apples or oranges...

David A. is a super insecure young teen-age boy. You can't fault him for that. Its a teeny-bopper show after all.
And from all indications he has a stage-Dad who is smothering him. But you still can't knock him for that.

He has a pure voice. One that doesn't appeal to everyone, but then again David Cook just sounds like a million other "screamers" trying to fit the mold of Knickleback-wanna-bees.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I find Archuleta to be a stereotypical balladeer record companies love because he has a great voice and can be molded into their ideal poster child.  I won't argue the quality of his voice.  But I find his performances to be "vacant."  

I like rock and roll.  Cook sings closer to the type of music I enjoy, and he does it well, with far more creativity than I've seen out of Archuleta.  I actually commented to my wife that I enjoyed his performance of Collective Soul's tune more than the original.  Archuleta sings ballads.  That's it.  When he tried to mix things up a bit and try something different he came across as awkward and uncomfortable.  Yes, he sings ballads unbelievably well.  But that's all he can sing well.  He has a great voice, but I don't find him to be very creative with his performances.  I don't care about age, because we're talking about the better performer, as that is the crux of the argument.  I feel Cook is a better performer than Archuleta.

And I think you're doing Cook a disservice comparing him to Nickelback.  He has a far better voice and he has more control beyond merely shouting.  But then the bands I prefer incorporate "shouting" into their songs, such as Disturbed, 12 Stones, etc.  

I think Cook is a better performer, and I also would be more likely to listen to him than Archuleta.  

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2008, 06:21:22 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 21, 2008, 06:13:45 PM

I actually commented to my wife that I enjoyed his performance of Collective Soul's tune more than the original.

I thought this as well.  I actually went to see if they have a long version up on itunes but they don't yet.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

Interesting to note Dialidol has/had Cook far far ahead for the win tonight, so I'm anxious to see how it plays out.  They claim they have never been wrong since they started their predictions.  I had thought the Syesha vote would go mostly to David A and thus he would win readily, but I may have been totally wrong about that.

Strategically, though, you could sense a shift, even starting last week.  But last night, Archie was playing (or coached) to win (at least win the judges over) and Cook was just playing to play.  I don't think he ever took the whole thing as serious as most of the others, which is kind of annoying in some sense, and possibly why he came across as arrogant at times.

Of course maybe I'm just making excuses for him and he kind of just got caught up in himself and choked a bit.  I was so happy he got to do a U2 song but he didn't really take it anywhere special.  The song he chose (?) from the competition was definitely NOT one of the ones I would have picked for him (there were at least 2 "rocker" type songs with less egregious lyrics).  And the last one, I completely agree with Simon; as part of the competition, he should have gone with what really took him over the top.  (In truth the week I was most impressed with him was Mariah week where he completely flipped her bouncy pop song and made it an awesome rock ballad.)  Instead he did a Blake and decided to do something on his own.  Did a very nice job, but it wasn't nearly as memorable as some of his precious performances.  Then again, if you believe dialidol, none of this was enough to stop him from winning.  He may have garnered enough fan support over the past few weeks while Archie was just kind of coasting along.  Never underestimate the Cougars for Cook.

Now speaking of my boy, whether you like him or not, you have to admit he stepped up his game for the finale.  First song was an awesome rendition, I'm sure Elton John and George Michael were... well, doing something  slywink  Songwriter pick was sappy, I think it was one of the ones I hated, but he made the most of it, oddly it sounded like a Celine Dion ballad.  Final was predictable, but smart: going back to what shot him ahead in the competition to begin with.  He did everything he should have to won, the question is whether it was too late and he'd lost his early voter block lead.  
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »

Oh yeah, I don't expect any straight guys to fall for the Archuleta charm.  The fact of the matter is in terms of music style, I actually prefer David Cook.  But what I can't deny is there is something in David's voice that whenever he sings, it literally sends shivers down my spine.  It's an actual physical reaction, maybe some weird frequency thing.  For both his first and third performances, I could see and feel the goosebumps on my arms as he sang.  This is nothing I can fake or force, it just happens Fabulous 
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »

I don't deny that David A has a goosebump-inducing voice at times, and is a cutie pie. If I was a gay pedophile or a Catholic priest I'd be all over him.  icon_razz
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2008, 06:49:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 21, 2008, 06:26:40 PM

Oh yeah, I don't expect any straight guys to fall for the Archuleta charm.  The fact of the matter is in terms of music style, I actually prefer David Cook.  But what I can't deny is there is something in David's voice that whenever he sings, it literally sends shivers down my spine.  It's an actual physical reaction, maybe some weird frequency thing.  For both his first and third performances, I could see and feel the goosebumps on my arms as he sang.  This is nothing I can fake or force, it just happens Fabulous 

That's kind of funny, because my comment to my wife repeatedly is his singing doesn't even feel real to me, it feels completely soulless. The opposite fo what would send chills down my spine. It's particularly relevant with "Imagine", since we keep going back to a performance of that song on Rock Star: INXS that blew us away with the emotion. To me, he sings all the notes, he just doesn't *feel* them.

Cook on the other hand is 100% performer. I am not sure what act Arclight is seeing out of Cook. He's having fun up there and as a result I have fun watching him. He's not acting surprised when he gets positive comments, that's what looks fake to me, the constant "oh my gosh" out of Archuleta. You've been getting praised for his singing for years, stop pretending you haven't!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2008, 06:49:43 PM »

I thought this was the best finale Idol had. Strong, and enjoyable, performances from both guys.

I did notice during the performances there was a teleprompter displaying the song lyrics. I was ok with that though since at this point I'd rather just have a good show than more "forgot the lyrics" drama, but I was surprised they didn't try and hide that a bit more as they showed it a few times.

It honestly doesn't matter which one wins since they'll both have good careers. I'm actually hoping DC loses since maybe they won't try and make him put out a gooey pop album. That said I was disappointed at the start when David Cook didn't pop Little David in the face three or four times when he had the chance.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »

.. and just to clarify that it isn't just that I prefer a screamer over a balladeer, I don't mind Josh Groban... yes I'd rather listen to something with some grit, but I also like pure voices, ya know as long as they can convey emotion. slywink

VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »

Cook strikes me as an artist.

Archie strikes me as a naive boy with an exceptional yet one-trick singing voice who's old-man is a marketer.

I wasn't much impressed with either one of them last night, although I give Cook props for walking the talk by not going with something tried and true. When Archie sang that Elton/Bernie song it just reinforced to me how great a performer Elton John really was. "Imagine," could be squeeked out by a mouse and still have the power to amaze simply because it's just an awesome song that speaks to a generation of people who will put their own internal spin on it regardless of the performer.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2008, 02:54:06 AM »

I will never forgive Canada for subjecting the rest of the world to Bryan Adams.  Ever.  Damn you, America's Hat.  Damn you.

And is it just me, or does "Scary Chick" look so disinterested in the group performance portion of the program that she might take her on life on stage.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2008, 03:05:35 AM »

Wow. Dial Idol, I tip my hat to thee!

Archuleta just got hit with the collective snow shovel of 12 million votes.  icon_biggrin
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2008, 04:04:55 AM »

I called it.

icon_cool

icon_wink

Fabulous

Bryan Adams can still sod off. 

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2008, 04:09:49 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 22, 2008, 04:04:55 AM

I called it.

icon_cool

icon_wink

Fabulous

Bryan Adams can still sod off. 

If OO were up I'd show you that I called it about 3 months ago slywink  I think my only miscue was that I had Carly going to final 4.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2008, 04:13:08 AM »

Simon played the voters.  He's been a Cook fan for quite some time, and when there seems to be a clear favorite voters focus their attention on the other performer.  Simon called out Archuleta as the clear favorite and pushed the Cook voters into overdrive. 

Whether this is true or not I have no idea.  But I was pleased to see Cook win. 

Although neither could have ever been truly fabulous.

tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2008, 05:23:13 AM »

Wow, i'm surprised

12 million whacks upside the head, and no shot of daddy  crybaby

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2008, 07:36:43 AM »

Quote from: tripwire on May 22, 2008, 05:23:13 AM

Wow, i'm surprised

12 million whacks upside the head, and no shot of daddy  crybaby

There was a quick shot of Archie's family after the announcement and Daddy Dearest was applauding along with the rest of the family, if he was putting on a good face he was doing a good job of it, it seemed genuine.

I had a hunch once they announced early in the show that it was a runaway 56% to 44% vote result that Cookie had won.  With all the support seeming to be going to Archuletta, this early foreshadowing kinda gave me that feeling that Cook would win.

I actually liked the show tonight, it must have been a hoot for Cook to sing with ZZ Top and David Archuletta got New Republic for his band, I'm not familiar with them but it seemed nice enough.  Ok I'm with Pete on Bryan Adams (but hey according to Robin from HIMYM Bruce Springsteen is the American Bryan Adams so that was Legen...wait for it...... DARY having him on smile). 

Donna Summers didn't look all that happy to be singing next to the very hot looking Syesha during her pimp song  drool and I thought BrOOke did a good job singing with Graham Nash but at times I couldn't tell if she was trying to look at the audience or reading the teleprompter hoping not to forget the words.  Speaking of forgetting the words, nice work David Hernandaze for his slip up during the final group song.  Carrie Underwood looked great and I bet the view from the mosh pit was something to behold since that suit jacket-dress she had on was so very short, didn't like the song though.  Jordin Sparks looked out of place to me, I kept thinking she wasn't moving very well on stage (but let's not get crazy and think she was anywhere near as bad as Fantasia last week) and the song was very Meh for me (nice quick pan to see Blake in the crowd as she was singing).

Even having just watched Iron Man I didn't recognize Robert Downey Jr. as the third Pip along with Stiller and Black,  I liked the bit and Gladys could really sing so very well.  I may just download that song for the charities. I have to give thumbs down  thumbsdown to the oh so long Love Guru bit with Mike Myers, it just dragged on and on and wasn't remotely funny until he tried to get Cook to shave off his beard, that was the only bright spot.  It could have been redeemed if Ryan had driven that stupid cushion into the mosh pit and exploded in a fireball that forever removed the swaying arms of those clowns down there.

I guess in the end Cook seemed so nice and open while Archie just stood there and spouted dreck prior to and after singing his umpteenth ballad.  I guess almost all of Syesha's vote block went to the Cookie Monster who handled his victory and final song very well. 

Congratulations David Cook!!!

p.s. I agree that Amanda looked like she would rather be anywhere else than that stage tonight and I for one would not have missed her.

p.s.s.  I even liked the commercial showing the outtakes from the car bits, Guitar Hero not so much, I wonder how rittchard liked that one?  icon_biggrin
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2008, 07:43:34 AM »

And padding my post count...

Simon looked pretty happy after they announced the results and his apology to Cook just before they announced the winner was a surprise.  I wonder if indeed he played the voters by making them think Cook had no chance.

:edited to add:

While missing a chance to pad my awesome post total I need to add;

The bit with the crazy "I am your brother" singer had me reaching for the remote to fast foward past it but then the USC marching band showed up and since they brought along 4 or 5 of their cheerleaders I stayed to drool  drool  If USC ever changes those sweater dress uniforms to something else then hell has frozen over and life isn't worth living.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:49:44 AM by Zinfan » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »

Interesting- Here in Denmark we've only gotten to the semi finals, with about 3 weeks I think till the big showdown...even so, every major newspaper published today the winner of AI2008... makes the rest of the show a bit...boring to watch IMO...

A new one
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2008, 12:45:48 PM »

Just to rewind a bit, I just watched last night Fantasia's appearance from a few weeks back.

Sorry but I dug it. It wasn't the cookie cutter shit everyone else does when they show up there. It was more suited to a small-ish concert venue where people expect it but I'm sorry. I liked that she is doing her thing and I enjoyed it.  ninja
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »

Amanda was horrendous. I seriously can't believe at one point I sort of liked her. Listening to her cat-like, disinterested screech in the midst of the other singers was enough to jolt someone out of a coma.

I actually liked the duet between Cook and Archuleta. Their voices complemented each other surprisingly well. I think because Archuleta sounds like a girl by comparison.

The older George Michael gets, the creepier he looks.

The Love Guru thing was horrible. The movie must be terrible as hard as they are pimping it. The only good part was Ryan almost getting rolled off the stage and appearing genuinely pissed about it. I like Mike Meyers, but I'd rather see another Austin Powers than that dreck.

I thought the Gladys Knight sketch ran too long, but it was cool to see Jack Black, Ben Stiller, and Robert Downey, Jr. on stage together. Then I realized they're all in the new movie Tropic Thunder and that this was just another piece of marketing. Ugh.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

Quote from: tjg_marantz on May 22, 2008, 12:45:48 PM

Just to rewind a bit, I just watched last night Fantasia's appearance from a few weeks back.

Sorry but I dug it. It wasn't the cookie cutter shit everyone else does when they show up there. It was more suited to a small-ish concert venue where people expect it but I'm sorry. I liked that she is doing her thing and I enjoyed it.  ninja

I'm not the only one then. I'm not a huge fan of Fantasia but the girl walks down her own road, and I like that.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »

Poor Little David. That 12 million vote snowshovel must have hurt (snicker).

I absolutely LOVED Cook with ZZ TOP!!! Waaayyyy cool!!!

Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 22, 2008, 12:57:21 PM

Then I realized they're all in the new movie Tropic Thunder and that this was just another piece of marketing. Ugh.

Well, the entire premise of American Idol is that it *is* a 5-month long commercial. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: