http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:18:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol 2008  (Read 9390 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »

I only found a 2007 thread so I thought I'd start a new one here.  Not sure if any GTer's watch the show but we had a fairyl active OO thread going...

- - -

Last night's kickoff was a pretty big surprise.  Expressions on everyone's faces pretty much told the story.  I really thought Carly was going (and it looked like she did too).  Second week in a row where a contestant went from not being in the bottom 3 even once to being knocked out.  Ouch.  I think only David and David remain as never having shown up in the bottom 3, and are likely going to be the final 2 contestants.

As for Michael, I always liked him but I think he had an issue picking songs, so his time was always limited.  He's got a ton of talent, now he needs a good writer or producer to get him the right material to sing.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

Michael has been very hit or miss.  Sometimes he has stuck out and other times he has fallen flat.  I didn't see his performance on Tuesday, so I wasn't sure it was that bad.  I think that Carly should have been gone last week.  (I wonder if she is VFTW, but KLC is probably the one getting thier vote now.)

I would say that Amanda and Ramiele were the only ones that weren't surprises to me.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »

I'm stupid for opening this thread before watching yesterday's show (it's on my PVR).

Damnit.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »

Quote from: Graham on April 11, 2008, 06:33:34 PM

I think that Carly should have been gone last week.  (I wonder if she is VFTW, but KLC is probably the one getting thier vote now.)

It's KLC. I liek that they are helping to keep her around. She's nice to look at. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 07:16:32 PM »

WTF is KLC, and VFTW ?

Oh, and Ramielle should have never been on the boat. I also can't stand the Whitney Houston knock-off. I go do other things while she sings. It also amazes me that the country girl has stayed as long as she has.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »

KLC is Kristy Lee Cook
VFTW is www.votefortheworst.com

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 11, 2008, 07:16:32 PM

WTF is KLC, and VFTW ?

Oh, and Ramielle should have never been on the boat. I also can't stand the Whitney Houston knock-off. I go do other things while she sings. It also amazes me that the country girl has stayed as long as she has.

AI is more about song choice than anything, and KLC has done a good job with that, especially the past couple of weeks.  I really liked how Chekezie tried to do something different.  He was miss sometimes, but when he hit it, he hit it out of the park.

Ryan Seacrest seemed to be off all night though.  It was almost like he was doing his best William Shatner impersonation or something.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »

I'm bored and waiting on a build, so I will reveal my secret shame here.

<shame>

I watch this show religiously.  Mainly because I'm in love with Carly Smithson.  I think she's by far the most talented vocally, although her song choice has almost universally sucked.  I can't stand Kristi Lee Cook.  I guess I'm just reactionary to country which I can't stand, but I have no idea how she's managed to stay on.  The top ones for me are David Archuleta, who I really don't like because he's got this horrible Beavis and Butthead giggle whenever he's not singing.  And Brooke White is also great, but she's a Paula-esque chatterbox after every song, and constantly in tears it seems.  And Carly.  Beyond that I don't like too many of them.  David Cook is pretty good, but I feel he got a lot more credit than he deserved with his Billy Jean cover.  It was an inspired choice, but I think he got credit for the arrangement when it was really a by-the-numbers cover of Chris Cornell's song.  He is also always bowing, which I find annoying smile

</shame>
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 02:54:01 AM »

I wasn't particularly surprised at the Michael Johns exit. If you look at the style "niches" that each contestant fills, MJ pretty much overlapped with the much-superior David Cooke. There was only room for one male rocker at this stage of the competition, and MJ lost out. I've never been overly impressed with the guy - aside from a couple of good weeks here recently, he was extremely inconsistent, and made terrible song choices throughout the early stages.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 04:42:52 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 12, 2008, 02:54:01 AM

I wasn't particularly surprised at the Michael Johns exit. If you look at the style "niches" that each contestant fills, MJ pretty much overlapped with the much-superior David Cooke. There was only room for one male rocker at this stage of the competition, and MJ lost out. I've never been overly impressed with the guy - aside from a couple of good weeks here recently, he was extremely inconsistent, and made terrible song choices throughout the early stages.

Sure.  But KLC sucks. I mean, she's really bad.  Seriously.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 04:52:31 AM »

I take it you guys have seen this: http://www.votefortheworst.com/americanidol7contestants

And here's Kristy Lee Cooks Music Video from her record deal
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yE7qUqjZ-x8

And Carly smithsons music video from her failed record deal
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xEvNlF42I

I really can't decide which song/video is worse.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 10:42:21 AM »

Never underestimate the power of country music fans to embrace that which is suck.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 12, 2008, 10:42:21 AM

Never underestimate the power of country music fans to embrace that which is suck.

She could also break out the skimpy outfits to try and stave off another week of elimination and I'd be ok with that  icon_twisted.  Any idea what next weeks theme is?  I can never seem to find a list of what is coming up.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »

I'll confess: I watch it too, but just because my wife likes it. If she quit watching it, I would too.

I have noticed that there are (have been) quite a few very good looking women on there this season. I hate seeing some of them get kicked off just cuz they're nice to look at.

I know, typical male.... oh well....

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 13, 2008, 10:15:43 AM

She could also break out the skimpy outfits to try and stave off another week of elimination and I'd be ok with that  icon_twisted.  Any idea what next weeks theme is?  I can never seem to find a list of what is coming up.

This week is Mariah week.  Definitely a chance for KLC to sex it up a bit.  How bout "Touch My Body" while writhing around, that could be fun.  More likely she'll try to take some other hit and country it up though.

I'm looking for David A to do "Hero" - would be a slam dunk for him.  David Cook should be fun, I could imagine some weird rock version of "Vision of Love."  I have no idea what Jason Castro will do.  Syesha and Carly should have a bevy of choices to belt something out.  I could see Brooke having trouble choosing a song.

On a side note, apparently people were fussing over Mariah surpassing Elvis with the most #1 hits.  Of course it's over like 20 years but still an admirable accomplishment.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »

I can't stand Mariah Carey, but I'll watch to see how David Cook adapts to it.

I *really* wish they'd do away with "theme nights" or the mentor crap, and just let them sing what they want (as long as they can get a license for it). It would greatly improve the show.

Btw, I think KLC did a great job this week, and that David Cook pretty much sucked (still hope he wins though)
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 03:19:53 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 13, 2008, 10:57:46 PM

Btw, I think KLC did a great job this week, and that David Cook pretty much sucked (still hope he wins though)

KLC did finally do a good job this week, but honestly I don't want David Cook to last too much longer,  He just seems like he's getting too pompous for his own good lately.

So my take on the contestants:

David Archuleta  -- Almost certainly going to be in the final two.
Brooke White --  For some reason I really like her, though I can't picture her going much beyond the top 4.
David Cook -- too pompous, full of himself, etc. I don't think he'll make it in the top 4.
Syesha Mercado -- She's good but not unique. Like a good backup singer. She's not going to last much longer in the competition.
Carly Smithson -- She could go to the top two if she can just figure out how to be likeable when he sings again, otherwise she'll make it to top 4 and be eliminated quickly.
Jason Castro -- I never expected him to last this long, but there's something likeable about his songs. He's a wildcard - could go in the next couple of week or could make it into top 4.
Kristy Lee Cook -- She'll go home in the next two weeks

So my predictions

This week - KLC or Syesha goes home
Next week - KLC or Syesha goes home (whichever one survived the last week)
Week after that - Jason Castro or Brooke White
Week after that - David Cook or Carly (my money is on David C. going home though)
Week after that - Jason Castro or Brooke White (whichever one survived two weeks earlier)

So I'm predicting that the final two will consist of David A and probably Carly (however if Carly continues to look uncomfortable, then it's possible she'll get eliminated leaving an oppty for someone else to make it to the top two).

David A. will probably win though.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 05:32:54 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 13, 2008, 10:57:46 PM

I can't stand Mariah Carey, but I'll watch to see how David Cook adapts to it.

I *really* wish they'd do away with "theme nights" or the mentor crap, and just let them sing what they want (as long as they can get a license for it). It would greatly improve the show.

While I thought KLC sang quite well I hated her stagecraft.  The whole performance seemed so unnatural and forced.  Mariah eh?  Well she may be able to survive if one of the guys bombs but I think all the other female singers can out do her on these type of songs.  It will be interesting to see what song Brooke has chosen to sing.  I don't get all the support for Carley, she doesn't appeal to me at all as a singer and I had her pegged to go home last week and from her reaction she did to.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 04:37:27 AM »

Well Mariah night has come and gone, definitely an interesting one!

David A started the night out strong.  Picked a good song (When You Believe) and sang well, but I thought he made a few noticeable mistakes that the judges let him get away with.  He's so lovable I guess it doesn't matter.  He did sound great in parts and took some chances going higher and lower than his normal range, so points for difficulty. 

David C was back in form again and turned an upbeat pop song (Always Be My Baby) into a darker, almost creepy, obsessive anthem.  Really enjoyed it.  Not sure if this was yet another borrowing of someone else's version, but given his reaction (he seemed really relieved/surprised) I'm guessing this was a risk he took on his own. 

Jason - I still don't get him, but I can see his Jack Johnson style being very appealing.  I like that he took a risk as well and really made a strange tropic-y version of I Don't Want to Cry.

In any case, the guys clearly outdid the gals, and I doubt any will show up in the bottom 3, particularly after the surprise exit of MJ last week, i.e. MJ's votes may get spread to the other guys, probably David C.

The girls were all good but very likely one will be going tomorrow.  Syesha sang well again but chose a more obscure song, Vanishing.  It may be a bad move as Simon suggested to pick a song people may not remember.  Brooke took on Hero and did OK but I thought she rushed the song the whole time.  Hero is made for having "moments" in the song, and she rushed through them all.  I think she could have cut a verse or 2 and slowed the whole arrangement down.  May be bad news for her.  Carly as usual did a good job, but again I just don't like her voice when it goes loud.  Finally, Ms. KLC did a very nice job with her song.  I thought she stepped up again and has shown the most vocal improvement of any of the contestants. 

Prediction: Syesha, Carly and Brooke in the bottom 3.  I've incorrectly predicted Syesha going home already so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Brooke leaves this week.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 16, 2008, 04:37:27 AM

Well Mariah night has come and gone, definitely an interesting one!

Prediction: Syesha, Carly and Brooke in the bottom 3.  I've incorrectly predicted Syesha going home already so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Brooke leaves this week.

I agree on the bottom 3 but I see Syesha heading home, on a week for diva songs (I think of her as a diva singer) she didn't bring enough to the stage.  David Cook's song was very well done, I listened to it twice and may even think of downloading it, which would be  a first for me for an AI song.  The guys did far better than I imagined they could while the girls all under performed.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »

David A has an extremely pure vocal quality, but my God the kid is so "perfect" it makes me want to punch him in the face. He reminds me of some Christian rock kid on the Disney Channel singing about cleaning up the environment. Every song he sings sounds like some cheesy anthem to making the world a better place. Ugh.

David Cook rocked it out. While I think he sometimes comes across a little flat on his low, slow parts, when he belts it he more than makes up for any imperfections. I really don't understand all the "pompous" statements. The guy just cried on national television for getting a good review, he goes up there night after night having to perform knowing his brother has cancer - I just don't get it. Is he confident? Sure. Arrogant? I haven't seen any evidence that he is any more arrogant than anyone else on the show.

Jason - meh. I know why people like him - heck, I typically like the casual beach-going singer-songwriter types. But it's starting to get a little one-note for me.

Syesha - I'm not sure if a pattern of reaching for the stars and always falling *just* shy is doing her any favors. Her days are numbered, though I've been saying that for awhile and she still manages to stick around.

KLC - Has definitely shown steady improvement week after week since her disastrous country-fried Beatles night. However, I still think she is the weakest singer left in the competition.

Carly - Thought she did OK this week, though I've never been as impressed with her as the judges seem to be. The highlight of her performance was that they *finally* got her into a sleeved dress to cover up that ginormous tat.

Brooke - Oh, poor little Brooke. She's unfortunately been slowly losing ground the past few weeks. That performance last night could spell trouble for her. I've also noticed the past 2-3 weeks when she got a bad review she looks like she could shoot daggers out of her eyes. Doesn't jibe well with my image of her as a sweet little angel. I'm beginning to think she might be a moody bitch behind the scenes.

I agree with Rittch's prediction, though for me it's a toss-up between Brooke and Syesha.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »

I hope David wins it; and I'm sick and tired of "We are the World" Archuleta. Could you, oh, I don't know, move from pubescent "I can change the world with my heart" crap to something... FUN?

I'm honestly hoping that the final 4 are David C, Jason, Carly and Brooke. It's not going to happen if Brooke doesn't go take a risk though, and Carly needs to lighten the makeup and the tone... she seems so angry.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 16, 2008, 04:37:27 AM

Finally, Ms. KLC did a very nice job with her song.  I thought she stepped up again and has shown the most vocal improvement of any of the contestants.

She's a pretty good singer and very easy on the eyes, but she doesn't really "perform". she doesn't engage the audience or the camera like the others do. I continue to root for her, just so I have some eye candy on the stage. I need it to wash my eyes out after watching castro and archuleta.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »

Castro constantly looks like he's doped up.

MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 16, 2008, 12:20:49 PM

Brooke - Oh, poor little Brooke. She's unfortunately been slowly losing ground the past few weeks. That performance last night could spell trouble for her. I've also noticed the past 2-3 weeks when she got a bad review she looks like she could shoot daggers out of her eyes. Doesn't jibe well with my image of her as a sweet little angel. I'm beginning to think she might be a moody bitch behind the scenes.

Here's a fun little note. If you happen to have the episode where Ramiele gets cut and it was Brooke, Ramiele and KLC in the bottom three, watch it again.  The camera cuts back to them unexpectedly while Simon and Ryan are bickering and you can very clearly see Brooke make eye contact with KLC and then slide her eyes down to Ramiele and do a little smug head nod, indicating "we're fine, it's going to be her."  I've always thought her shiny happy person thing was a gimmick but seeing that made me really go, a-ha! She is not the nicey-nice non-diva she wants to seem.

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 02:14:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 16, 2008, 02:12:45 PM

Castro constantly looks like he's doped up.

Well he is an aggie... not like there's a helluva a lot else to do in college station.  icon_twisted

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »

Jason - meh. I know why people like him - heck, I typically like the casual beach-going singer-songwriter types. But it's starting to get a little one-note for me.

+1

I hope he's the one who goes tonight.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

Quote from: MHS on April 16, 2008, 02:13:52 PM

Here's a fun little note. If you happen to have the episode where Ramiele gets cut and it was Brooke, Ramiele and KLC in the bottom three, watch it again.  The camera cuts back to them unexpectedly while Simon and Ryan are bickering and you can very clearly see Brooke make eye contact with KLC and then slide her eyes down to Ramiele and do a little smug head nod, indicating "we're fine, it's going to be her."  I've always thought her shiny happy person thing was a gimmick but seeing that made me really go, a-ha! She is not the nicey-nice non-diva she wants to seem.

That just makes her hotter.

Also, KLC has to go.  Seriously.  She's almost as annoying as David Archuleta.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 03:15:20 AM »

Hallelujah!  She's gone!

Next up - Syesha or Jason.  Maybe Brooke although that would make me sad.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 04:35:08 AM »

BooYah!!!

My predictions are coming true!!!

Syesha will be gone next.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 08:52:46 AM »

Next up Andrew Lloyd Webber?  Hmmmm lots of choices there I guess, who is going to sing the theme from Cats "Memory" (my guess, Carley)?

Someone will also have to lock up the South American vote by singing "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" BrOOke perhaps?

It seems to me to be a foregone conclusion that David Archeletta will sing something from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Jason Castro I have down for "The Music of the Night".  But on second thought he likes the guitar and it's ilk so he could go with "Banjo Boy" from By Jeeves

Maybe David Cook can put forth a reworking of "Shakalaka Baby" from Bombay Dreams

Syesha can sing some song that Sarah Brightman did.  And I hope they have Sarah come out and sing a song on elimination night.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »

K I officially hate Mentor crap.

I mean, come ON. Can't they get in big-time bands like U2, or maybe some hard rock/metal? The singing nurse (who wasn't that good anyways) would have died getting dragged through the poofyland, no-sharp-edges world of Pop.If this is American Idol and country gets a swing at the plate, then there's no reason they couldn't have a Tool night*.

* no way related to CK's Tuesday nighttime filler

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 17, 2008, 05:27:37 PM

K I officially hate Mentor crap.

I mean, come ON. Can't they get in big-time bands like U2, or maybe some hard rock/metal? The singing nurse (who wasn't that good anyways) would have died getting dragged through the poofyland, no-sharp-edges world of Pop.If this is American Idol and country gets a swing at the plate, then there's no reason they couldn't have a Tool night*.

* no way related to CK's Tuesday nighttime filler

I'm just guessing here, but I'm pretty sure pop and country album sales dwarf everything else.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

KLC gone, boohoo!  Another bad prediction by me lol.  Seems like each week whoever I don't pick in the bottom 3 ends up eliminated.

Unless something drastic occurs, Final 2 should be David vs David.  The interesting thing will be to see which of the girl(s) makes it to the final 4.  My guess is whichever it is will also make it to the Final 3 (knocking out Jason).  While I don't really like Carly I think she's the most versatile of the 3 gals plus the judges' favorite.  Personally I favor Brooke but I think her style/act has reached its limitations.  Very interesting this season, and unlike previous seasons, pretty much we've seen everyone's personal styles and I don't see any big changes occuring.

So here's my guesses for the remaining weeks:

5: 3 boys, Carly and Brooke (I guess that means Syesha goes next)

4: 3 boys and... Carly? (Brooke leaves, sobbing all the way)

3: David, David and... Carly (finally bye to Jason)

2: David vs David

Winner: David A.  David C is more talented, but still more voters captured by David A, who I think has a more balanced, wider fanbase, and can take more of the voters who were voting for Jason and/or whichever female lasts the longest.  FWIW, I asked my 3 year old cousin who he liked, and he said "I like... little David."  Meanwhile, my 12 and 13yo nieces both actively dislike the one they call "Picklehead" (David Cook). 

- - -

Andrew Lloyd Webber week will be interesting.  Should favor showtune fanboy David A but who knows.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »

If it is David vs David in the finals I'd also pick A to win just based on the fact they will each have to sing some sappy song that won the writing contest.  Last year there was no way Blake could do anything with that horrible song whereas Jordan could put her style on it.  I expect the song this year will be similar and that would easily favor Archeletta.  I've rooted for Brooke all this season but have to agree that she has reached the limits of her voice, the same can be said for Syesha but Carly still has some further abilities to reach for. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 05:05:36 AM »

Wow, Andrew Lloyd Webber tonight!  Filled with surprises, both good and bad.

Syesha - she blew me away, loved her personality and sass and sexiness.  Finally got to see some vibrant personality emerge on top of the voice.  Should get her through to next week but because there's only 6 left she could still be in the bottom 3.

Jason - ack, train wreck was right.  I thought Syesha or Carly may go for memory, maybe even David A.  But Jason?  Yikes!!!  A disaster waiting to happen, maybe just maybe this can rid us of him.  Then again, his fanbase may just be too strong.  I still say he hits bottom 3 again, maybe his time is up.

Brooke - yikes, second time she did the restart thing.  The first time was fine, this time not so much, it had gone a bit too far already.  Still, she pulled out a very nice performance.  I thought she actually sang it better than the judges gave her credit for, but the restart was a bit too distracting and that may be all people remember.  Surprised that Paula did not protect her through it.  She may be done this week.  Singing out the loss with "You Must Love Me" may be very appropriate.

David A - yet another strange choice.  I love the original Think of Me but I associate it with a very high pitched female voice and a music box.  He did a pretty nice job with it, but ALW made him (and all of us) too conscious of whether his pretty l'il eyes stayed open or not.  Will be interesting to hear the studio version, all in all I still think he did well.

Carly - she looked and sounded pretty good doing Jesus Christ Superstar.  But sadly I still don't like her much.  Like Syesha, she may hit the bottom 3 just because someone has to.  Though I guess I should stick with my theory that she makes the final 3.

David C - a fairly conventional version of Music of the Night.  Very interesting.  Also an interesting reveal he used to do musical theater.  He sounded decent to good but if you've ever experienced the original sung live by Michael Crawford, you'd have to be fairly disappointed in the final notes of the song, which should sound simply transcendent if sung well.  His choice to go slightly rock-ish at the end, I thought was a major cop out.  He'd already committed to doing a fairly standard version, why not stick with it in that case to prove versatility?  Maybe his voice wouldn't hit the pretty note, I dunno, but I would have been much more stunned/impressed if he pulled it off.

Predicted Bottom 2: Jason and Brooke.  Carly or Syesha join them as the bottom 3.  I hope Jason goes, but after bottom 2 last week and tepid judge response this week, I fear it may be Brooke's time.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:07:09 AM by rittchard » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 08:52:25 AM »

Yep train wreck for Jason!  Dog, you gotta know that song was sung by a cat on Broadway for years!!  And a female cat to boot.  I see trouble on Castro street this week, in the bottom 3 no doubt and I have him heading for the door.

BrOOke will join him on stage at the bottom, that restart isn't going to do her any favors.  The final one of the 3 is a toss up between Syesha and Carly but I'll say Carly since I liked Syesha's song better.  Paula for once had some insight when she said Jesus Christ Superstar was too high a register for Carly and I agree, it just sounded off a bit.

To quote Tony Kornheiser on his radio show "I just want to hit David Archuleta with a snow shovel at this point", his songs all sound the same to me, nothing new at all, week after week.

David Cook did a decent job on his song and while Micheal Crawford is the gold standard, I'm not sure the AI voting public is that familiar with Andrew Lloyd Webber's stuff in the first place.

Jason, Memory is sung by a cat.. A CAT!!!! Dude you gotta pick better songs for yourself.  I think if KLC was still around and got to sing Don't Cry for me Argentina, she would have survived this week.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »

The wife and I agree that we want Jason gone. With only six left, picking the bottom three includes someone who isn't really bad, but just didn't do as good as three others. We pick Brooke and David A to join Jason.

We don't really like Carly, but we must admit she did a good job. The ax will get her another week.

Syesha: hooooweeee! Hot, girl! Sexy! Nice. Makes me wish I was a piano.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »

Well Well very surprising result night.  Both BrOOke and Jason knew they were destined for the stools of shame and yet neither hit the bottom 2.  Like Randy said, this week was all about popularity not ability and while I was never a Carly fan, I though she did quite well with her song.  Syesha also sang great but ended up at the bottom, her fan base must be slipping or BrOOke picked up all of KLC's fans.

So Carly heads home and we don't have to see her husband (ever notice that the producers seem to only show him for a split second?) and his crazy face tats.

With Neil Diamond week next (really? Neil Diamond?  Was Burt Bacharach too busy?) I'm betting for another round of popularity voting and Syesha heads home no matter how well she sings.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »

crybaby crybaby crybaby

Oh, my poor Carly.  I think the show may be over for me.  I'm in boycott at least until stoner Jason gets the boot.  There's no justice in the world.

Small redeeming point from last night - that Leona Lewis(?) chick is incredibly hot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: