http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 08:35:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Hostages Rescued in Colombia  (Read 1150 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

Via CNN

Ingrid Betancourt and 3 American contractors were among 15 hostages formerly held by FARC were freed earlier today by Colombian military forces.  Betancourt was kidnapped in 2002 and the contractors in 2003.

Fucking awesome   thumbsup
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »

Wow thats a long time to be held. Why kidnap someone and just feed and carefor them for years on end? Strange.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:11:56 PM »

Pretty interesting... I just re-read Killing Pablo.  Columbia is one fucked up place.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:23:09 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 02, 2008, 10:10:14 PM

Wow thats a long time to be held. Why kidnap someone and just feed and carefor them for years on end? Strange.
Money? Political leverage?

It's great that she was rescued. I remember the day she was kidnapped.

PSN ID: EduardoX
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »

I hope they didn't get all the rebels. I have a step son going to Venezuela soon.

Ye Olde Farte
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:59:25 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on July 03, 2008, 02:19:51 AM

I hope they didn't get all the rebels. I have a step son going to Venezuela soon.

heh thought that was a weird thing to say until i saw who posted it Tongue
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:12:41 PM »

Anyone interested in starting an Illinois chapter of FARC?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »

The story of their rescue makes no sense to me, but that's probably because for obvious reasons they don't want to reveal how it really went down.

I mean, these high profile hostages are just handed over to some random dudes in helicopters?  Or these helicopters guys were part of FARC long enough that they could fly around and pick up hostages unchallenged? Really?

I have a feeling it was more like
Helicopter dudes:   "Hi, we're your brothers in revolution *wink wink* here to pick up those American lackeys."
FARC guys: "Here you go.  Meanwhile, as you load them on the choppers, we'll take that heavy load of supplies *wink wink* off your hands.  Pablo, grab the suitcases!"
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:39 PM »

Quote from: gameoverman on July 03, 2008, 09:45:24 PM

Helicopter dudes:   "Hi, we're your brothers in revolution *wink wink* here to pick up those American lackeys."
FARC guys: "Here you go.  Meanwhile, as you load them on the choppers, we'll take that heavy load of supplies *wink wink* off your hands.  Pablo, grab the suitcases!"

And as soon as the FARC higher ups figure that out they're dead men. It's hard to believe that FARC leadership would leave control of such crucial bargaining chips up to some troops that would be so easily bribed.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:51:08 PM »

Well, I'm thinking the payment will be sent up the food chain.  In other words, my feeling is that this was a straight up deal.

I figure A) FARC has a bunch more hostages where those came from and B) these particular hostages have probably been worked for all they're worth(5 years! I bet FARC was tired of the sight of them by now).   So why not deal and get something for them?

Meanwhile,  the Columbian government gets to look good, so it's win/win for everyone.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 12:29:21 AM »

Quote from: gameoverman on July 03, 2008, 10:51:08 PM

Well, I'm thinking the payment will be sent up the food chain.  In other words, my feeling is that this was a straight up deal.

I figure A) FARC has a bunch more hostages where those came from and B) these particular hostages have probably been worked for all they're worth(5 years! I bet FARC was tired of the sight of them by now).   So why not deal and get something for them?

Meanwhile,  the Columbian government gets to look good, so it's win/win for everyone.

Except that losing these hostages, especially Betancourt is like pie in the face for FARC.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »

I think the FARC is about to go the way of the Movimiento 19 de Abril and turn into a political party, and this would be a good time. And the gubmint looks good, at least for now.

However, the FARC may also go ballistic and start conducting some terrorism as retaliation. Who knows.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 04:36:57 AM »

Quote from: gameoverman on July 03, 2008, 09:45:24 PM

The story of their rescue makes no sense to me, but that's probably because for obvious reasons they don't want to reveal how it really went down.

I mean, these high profile hostages are just handed over to some random dudes in helicopters?  Or these helicopters guys were part of FARC long enough that they could fly around and pick up hostages unchallenged? Really?

If it was like that they also gave the commander and another - i'm guessing his second to them as well which either makes it unlikely or if it was the case they were double crossed smile

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 09:35:08 PM »

A double cross brings up the possibility of an internal power play by FARC members.   That could work. 

You arrange to give up an internal FARC competitor and his right hand man, along with some hostages that aren't doing you any good, and in exchange you get more power in FARC, plus whatever cash they paid.   In addition, in any future FARC related political party, having played ball with the government with the hostage deal, the government will back your ascension(quietly of course).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 12:32:58 AM »

of course they looked legit, they wore t-shirts with Che Guevara's face on it!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 03:27:25 AM »

I'm thrilled the people were rescued.

I've read in at least some places that they pulled the operation off by posting as a (made up) NGO.

It's nice that it worked, but if I worked for an NGO around there I'd be a bit nervous about now.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 06:07:10 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on July 05, 2008, 03:27:25 AM

I'm thrilled the people were rescued.

I've read in at least some places that they pulled the operation off by posting as a (made up) NGO.

It's nice that it worked, but if I worked for an NGO around there I'd be a bit nervous about now.
You mean the usual murder and kidnapping wouldn't have you already on edge?

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »

And the inevitable fuck ups start to be revealed. This one has some pretty nasty side effects, aka The Hague.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: