http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 01:47:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Gods Coming to HBO  (Read 568 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »

yep, the Neil Gaiman novel is set to be made into a series for HBO.  now here's the crazy part:

■Six seasons
■10-12 episodes per season
■$35-40 million budget per season
■So thatís something like $2,916,666 to $4,000,000 per episode
■Screening in 2013 or later

Six seasons, 10 to 12 episodes per season, for a 624 page book?  sounds like they'll be adding in a lot of new stuff, making it more of a 'based off of' than a straightforward adaptaion., which could be pretty cool.  still, it sounds pretty ambitious, and it's crazy to think that we might not see the end of the series (provided it doesn't get canceled before the end) until around 2020.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 13, 2011, 03:47:41 PM

yep, the Neil Gaiman novel is set to be made into a series for HBO.  now here's the crazy part:

■Six seasons
■10-12 episodes per season
■$35-40 million budget per season
■So thatís something like $2,916,666 to $4,000,000 per episode
■Screening in 2013 or later

Six seasons, 10 to 12 episodes per season, for a 624 page book?  sounds like they'll be adding in a lot of new stuff, making it more of a 'based off of' than a straightforward adaptaion., which could be pretty cool.  still, it sounds pretty ambitious, and it's crazy to think that we might not see the end of the series (provided it doesn't get canceled before the end) until around 2020.

That's insane. I just recently read it (rather listened to it being read) so I didn't realize how small it really is. Even if we go low end at 10 eps per season, that's 60? 10 pages per episode?
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on June 13, 2011, 03:58:08 PM

That's insane. I just recently read it (rather listened to it being read) so I didn't realize how small it really is. Even if we go low end at 10 eps per season, that's 60? 10 pages per episode?

It's been a while since I read the book but then that would put the big game-changing twist around season 3.
 icon_biggrin
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »

Sounds like they're planning to go the True Blood route by greatly diverging from the source material. It's an interesting story, but I don't know if it's got 6 seasons of interesting in it. We'll see.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »

Im sure that whats Gaimans written is just a starting point and they plan on building from there and theyve got Anansi Boys to draw off from as well, if they want.   I hope the Gaiman is very involved or this could turn out to be very lackluster.  Still it looks like they are throwing some major dollars at it so at least they seem serious about it.  I am cautiously optimistic.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »

Neil's twitter

And for those asking, No, 6 years of AMERICAN GODS on TV doesn't mean just the 1st book. It means I need to write the 2nd now, for a start.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 13, 2011, 05:53:00 PM

Neil's twitter

And for those asking, No, 6 years of AMERICAN GODS on TV doesn't mean just the 1st book. It means I need to write the 2nd now, for a start.

LOL. Better get to work Neil.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »

Loved Coraline, and my gF has read some other of his stuff as well- interesting to say the least!

A new one
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »

I'm really excited for more Neil Gaiman on TV.

From his previous televised works, I loved:

- Mirrormask
- Coraline
- The 'Neverwhere' mini series
- the Doctor Who episode from this season "The Doctor's Wife"

Didn't much care for Stardust or Beowulf, though.

I see on IMDB that he wrote a fifth season episode of Babylon 5. How was that?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »

I loved Stardust, but didn't care for Coraline.  I had Neverwhere in my Netflix instant watch queue but I think it's gone, and haven't seen Mirrormask yet.  I really wish they could get his and Pratchett's Good Omens made into a movie or miniseries.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2011, 06:50:53 PM

I loved Stardust, but didn't care for Coraline.  I had Neverwhere in my Netflix instant watch queue but I think it's gone, and haven't seen Mirrormask yet.  I really wish they could get his and Pratchett's Good Omens made into a movie or miniseries.

That's an idea.  I would love to see that book brought to life. 

As for AG, they should certainly consider Anansi Boys as extra lore to pull from, but it would be hard to explain the reason to change main characters mid-series though. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »

I imagine each episode could focus on a particular god with lots of flashbacks to when they were in power. That would allow for the series to occupy a much longer time period and deliver more background on each character without a lot of wordy exposition.

There is very little Gaiman has done that I haven't enjoyed.  Loved Stardust and Mirrormask and thought Coraline was very good as well.  Little known fact, Gaiman also helped with the script/translation for the English version of Princess Mononoke.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »

I read Neverwhere long before I saw the mini series so I was a bit leery about watching it but as often happens with British adaptations it was quite good.  I never read Stardust ( plan to someday ) but I really liked the movie alot.  Mirrormask was quite bizarre, it had a Terry Gilliam kind of vibe to it. It too was quite good.  Since it looks like Gaiman will be directly involved with the series, it gives me a bit more hope.  His track record, as far as my tastes go, is quite solid.

BTW, if you havent seen Neverwhere, I definitely recommend it .

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 03:42:01 AM »

anyone else excited to see the reverse birth? icon_twisted

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2011, 03:42:01 AM

anyone else excited to see the reverse birth? icon_twisted

only you ceekay, only you

and now i have to go search for the neverwhere mini series online.  really liked that book.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: