http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:17:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon To Start Charging Tax In My State  (Read 1000 times)
hitbyambulance
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 30, 2014, 04:37:18 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on January 30, 2014, 04:14:49 AM

I thought that states without income tax make their money on property taxes. I know that's the story in NH, at least.

Yeah, that's what I always heard about WA when I lived there.

WA is hugely dependent on sales taxes. during the last economic downturn, the state was in trouble because people stopped buying so much stuff. this hasn't really recovered since then, so alternate funding is going to be needed at some point.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »

Dont get me started on this damn use tax shit.  My wife works at the state govt.  Each year, I get a lecture on how Im supposed to pay the sales tax on the shit I buy online and pay the difference in my local tax if I bought something out of state or in another county.  For example, If I go to Charlotte and buy something and pay 5% sales tax (no idea if thats there tax rate) Im supposed to pay 3% to the state to make up the 8% tax for where I live.  I asked if I bought something somewhere that had a 10% tax if I got a 2% refund and was told no. So screw em.  To stay on topic, Amazon recently built a hub here about 10 miles from me so there will be sales tax coming from them in the next year or so. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 12:45:46 AM »

Quote from: soulbringer on February 02, 2014, 11:16:03 PM

I asked if I bought something somewhere that had a 10% tax if I got a 2% refund and was told no. So screw em. 

LOL, that's a great response.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 07:44:43 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 30, 2014, 08:39:26 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on January 30, 2014, 07:21:37 PM

Quote from: rittchard on January 28, 2014, 06:28:22 PM

Yeah when we got it last year (CA) I was pretty bummed but what can you do.  The fact is it does make the competition more fair for companies like Best Buy and Target, not to mention the last remaining traditional book stores.  Still, even with the taxes, with free Prime shipping I'll still tend to go with Amazon out of convenience - and of course their pricing is almost always the best unless there's some sort of special/exclusive sale.

You know, if it means we keep a book store in town or a Best Buy I am willing to pay sales tax on Amazon purchases.

I can't remember the last time I walked into a brick and mortar book store.  But I'm sure when I did it was a Barnes & Nobles, so it's not like I was helping some small local business.

I'm the same way. Amazon, Newegg, iTunes and Steam account for just about everything I buy. I remember growing up, I used to love going into the mall. Electronics Boutique and Borders were two of my favorite places.  A couple weeks ago I stopped in a mall to grab a last minute present for someone, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. I was also surprised by how few customers were walking around. It was the first time in about 6 or 7 years that I've been back in one.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 07:52:12 AM »

Quote from: soulbringer on February 02, 2014, 11:16:03 PM

Dont get me started on this damn use tax shit.  My wife works at the state govt.  Each year, I get a lecture on how Im supposed to pay the sales tax on the shit I buy online and pay the difference in my local tax if I bought something out of state or in another county.  For example, If I go to Charlotte and buy something and pay 5% sales tax (no idea if thats there tax rate) Im supposed to pay 3% to the state to make up the 8% tax for where I live.  I asked if I bought something somewhere that had a 10% tax if I got a 2% refund and was told no. So screw em.  To stay on topic, Amazon recently built a hub here about 10 miles from me so there will be sales tax coming from them in the next year or so.  

Yeah, Illinois is filled with the same type of crooks. Our property taxes are supposed to be tied to our home values. But when my home lost ~40% of its value, I attempted to get them lowered. THAT was an exercise in red tape and frustration. But they were damned near instantaneous on RAISING my taxes during the two years my property actually appreciated before the real estate bust. I didn't even need to leave my home. A shiny new bill just arrived one day with the increase.

But when I go to lower my taxes? Well...One of the clerks, after seeing me for the fifth or sixth time, had the audacity to say "The state still needs its money."

My friends in California have it much worse. They can be considered solid middle class. When you take into account all of the federal, state, and sales taxes they pay it comes out to almost 50% of their paychecks go to taxes. I don't think the founding fathers had these levels of taxes in mind.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:57:20 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 07:57:50 AM »

It's not incorrect,  but it still stings.   In WA,  if you move in to the state, you're supposed to pay sales tax on the value of your vehicle.   A buddy of mine who moved in from New Orleans ran into this a while back.   (which may mean this is wrong or exaggerated)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: