http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:36:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: amazon prime vs netflix  (Read 413 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »

Does amazon prime pretty much have the same selection as netflix, or does it add movies that netflix does not have?

I do not want to pay for another if it has pretty much the same selection.   But, every time I order something from amazon and pay shipping I wonder if I should not be on prime.  I do not buy enough to cover the entire 80 bucks in shipping, but I do buy here and there.  Would definitive knock that price per year down a bit.

So, amazon prime different then netflix selection wise?  Comparable service?  What do you guys think?

Oh yea, in case it makes a difference,

Devices:
My streaming devices are primarily a PS3 and apple TV. 
We also do some streaming on a asus transformer prime and a ipad though.   
Not having it on these secondary devices wouldn't be a deal breaker.  Toss in a couple android phones, a iphone and a windows phone 7 for a little watching here and there as well.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »

I have both and netflix online selection is much better

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 19, 2012, 12:32:04 PM

Selection pretty much overlapped soul? 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on July 19, 2012, 12:39:55 PM

Yes, but I find netflix selection to be much more diverse

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 19, 2012, 12:44:21 PM

Quote from: Morgul on July 19, 2012, 12:39:55 PM

Yes, but I find netflix selection to be much more diverse

Alright.  I never considered giving up netflix, I get the DVDs too.  But was hoping amazon prime would be a nice supplement, since I shop at amazon.

But, if its all pretty much overlapped then I guess it wouldn't do me any good.

Thanks for the info. 
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »

When I looked at Prime I saw a bunch of obscure movies and TV shows, but very little that I wanted to watch.  This was about a year ago.  Maybe it's gotten better, but at the time Netflix Watch Instantly beat it pretty badly, even though I still thought Netflix had very little I wanted to watch.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on July 19, 2012, 01:03:13 PM

When I looked at Prime I saw a bunch of obscure movies and TV shows, but very little that I wanted to watch.  This was about a year ago.  Maybe it's gotten better, but at the time Netflix Watch Instantly beat it pretty badly, even though I still thought Netflix had very little I wanted to watch.

Yea, I do not watch allot of TV myself, aside from a series (true blood/rome/spartacus) or a movie here and there.   But the kids burn it up.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »

I have both.  We got Prime for the shipping, so I was longing for it on a console, mostly so I wouldn't have to join Netflix.  However, now I'm glad we do both anyway.

Netflix is definitely the default, but we do quite a bit on Prime.  We just watched Young Sherlock Holmes and A Little Romance with my kid, plus I've been working through Red Dwarf.  There are a couple of things on Prime that I couldn't see on Netflix.  I also think the quality might be a little better on Prime.

I don't know that Prime is worth it just for the Instant Video.  However, I wanted to mention that I didn't think the shipping thing would be as useful as it is.  First of all, you no longer have to bundle.  I would wait weeks if I had one item I wanted from Amazon, just to see what other things I might group with it.  Now, if something needs to be purchased, you just get it.  The two day deliver is also incredibly useful.  I also wind up buying more household items as a result.  Things I would normally trudge out to the store for over the weekend, I'll now find waiting on my doorstep before then.  The release day video game thing is wonderful.  And if you have a Kindle, you can borrow books.  Prime is the kind of thing that seemed like a waste before I got it, and now I don't know how I lived without it.

BTW, we also have Hulu Plus, but that's just a necessary evil.  It has a bunch of new shows that the DVR didn't record for some reason or another.  You just have to know the commercial skip trick (which is a PITA).  They also have a great collection of Criterion films.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »

I have prime for the shipping,  the video is merely a bonus.  Being able to get almost everything with 2 day shipping and no tax ( for me anyway ) makes prime worth it.  That being said, I dropped netflix because Amazon and Hulu has covered nicely for me.   It really kind of depends on your personal viewing preferences. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »

Of Netflix, hulu plus, and amazon prime --- prime is clearly the worst selection. But with the free shipping it becomes a good deal if you use amazon enough. And it'll make you use it more...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 03:24:52 AM »

I haven't even tried to use Prime streaming in a while...do they have any sort of personal queue functionality yet?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 20, 2012, 03:24:52 AM

I haven't even tried to use Prime streaming in a while...do they have any sort of personal queue functionality yet?

they added a watchlist recently.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: