http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle: Kindle Paperwhite! Updated Fire! Kindle Fire HD!  (Read 43611 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 15, 2012, 05:18:43 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on January 15, 2012, 04:54:52 AM

Question:

Wife and I have separate Amazon accounts. Her account has Prime on it. She shared it with me so now I have it, I suppose. I also have a Kindle 1st gen. Can I borrow books via Prime now? When I go to the Amazon store, I see I can buy the books, but they are not at $0.00.

Any help?

you have to borrow the books via the Kindle, I don't think you can do it on their website at all.  see if this helps: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200757120&qid=1326604571&sr=1-2

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: January 15, 2012, 05:23:40 AM »

I deregistered it from me and added it to her account. I'm able to borrow books now though my Kindle is now in my wife's name.Apparently I can only do one book a month, though.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 15, 2012, 05:27:56 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on January 15, 2012, 05:23:40 AM

I deregistered it from me and added it to her account. I'm able to borrow books now though my Kindle is now in my wife's name.Apparently I can only do one book a month, though.

yep, it's one per calendar month, so if you borrow one now you cannot borrow another until February 1st.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: February 27, 2012, 02:33:03 AM »

ok, so I picked a Kindle Fire up last week and am quite loving it so far.  I intend to pick up a screen protector but couldn't find one under $25 and my brain refuses to accept that when the case I bought was 10 bucks more.  any decent screen protectors out there not costing an arm and a leg?

now, I have not used the trial for amazon prime so it started when I activated the Fire, and it seems a decent service, but if you don't do a ton of shopping there, is the video service included as good as netflix or should I just get an account there?  the one free book per month does seem nice and would almost cover the cost of prime assuming you find something you want to borrow.  I haven't looked closely into rooting it but I assume you lose the native amazon features if you do.  it does seem to be capable enough to run ICS though so that would be a nice benefit. 

I would have considered an acer iconia tablet instead but they were all out when I got there.  other than the native support for android, would you recommend it over the Fire?  or would you recommend holding back until you had enough for something in the $500 range?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: March 23, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

It seems Amazon has managed to silently sneak in a feature that has been much wanted for the Kindle: The ability to clear the furthest page read. If you go to Manage Your Kindle on the Amazon site, you can now choose "Clear furthest page read" on the action menu for each book. It's about time they added this very basic function in my opinion, but I'm glad it's finally there.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:46 PM »

my Fire just had an update, went to see what all was updated/added in version 6.3:

Sharing: Customers will be able to easily share favorite passages and notes from their books directly from Kindle Fire, without even leaving the book. Customers simply highlight a passage and select "Share" or choose the "Share" option from the toolbar within a book, write a note if they choose, and select which social network to share with. Passages or notes a customer chooses to share will be displayed to other Kindle readers viewing the same book, and customers can also choose to share via Facebook and Twitter. Amazon already has a vibrant community of readers who choose to share favorite passages and notes from their reading through Kindle.amazon.com. This update brings these notes and highlights to Kindle Fire, so a reader can easily see what other readers are saying about their books.

Book Extras: Powered by Shelfari, Amazon's community of book lovers, Book Extras make it easy for customers to see supplemental material about the book they are reading, without even leaving the book. Customers can view descriptions of characters, a glossary of common terms used in the book, information on the authors and common locations referenced in the book, and more. To view Book Extras from within a book, customers simply tap the top of the screen to bring up the toolbar, tap the menu button and select "Book Extras."

Archive of Personal Documents: Customers' personal documents will be stored in the Amazon Cloud and available for re-download at any time from the Documents tab on Kindle Fire. Just as with Kindle books, Whispersync will automatically sync notes, highlights and last page read for personal documents.

Print Replica Textbooks: Students can buy thousands of print replica textbooks to read on their Kindle Fire and save up to 60% off the list price of the print textbook. Print replica textbooks maintain the rich formatting, color and layout of the print editions, with features including notes and highlights, zoom and pan, linked table of contents, real page numbers and Whispersync of notes, highlights and last page read.

Reading View for Amazon Silk: There is a seemingly endless array of interesting and engaging content available on the Internet. Sometimes, unfortunately, that business article, blog post, or sports recap you clicked on is surrounded by a host of competing material. With Reading View on Silk, the content that you're interested in is elevated above the clutter. When invoked by the customer, Silk will load the body of the page in a reading-optimized, single screen view (even for multi-page articles). The full page is still available in the background, allowing the reader to easily toggle back to a traditional view to see other interesting features on the page.

Movie Rentals: The rental period for movie rentals that are downloaded to Kindle Fire now starts when a customer starts watching the movie, rather than when a customer starts downloading the movie.

Additional Enhancements: This update will also bring some of the features customers have requested, including faster re-connect of Wi-Fi after Kindle Fire has been asleep, and general performance enhancements.

Because I can,
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 02, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »

I was excited about this:

This update will also bring some of the features customers have requested, including faster re-connect of Wi-Fi after Kindle Fire has been asleep, and general performance enhancements.

...but buggered if it's even shaved a second or two off the wifi reconnect time.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 02, 2012, 04:39:17 PM »

Not sure how meaningful this is given how most folks buy everything online now, but:

Target to Stop Selling Amazon's Kindle Devices
http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2012/05/02/target-to-stop-selling-amazon-kindle-devices/
"Target is phasing out Amazon- and Kindle-branded products in the spring of 2012," Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder wrote in an email to Reuters. "We will continue to offer our guests a full assortment of e-readers and supporting accessories."

The decision includes Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet, its range of Kindle e-readers and all accessories for the devices, including covers and chargers, Synder added.
They don't give a specific reason. I don't think it's Apple leaning on them, or else Best Buy etc. wouldn't offer both Apple and Amazon Kindle products either. But they do have finite space, and electronics is just one section there, so it might boil down to that.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 03, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 02, 2012, 04:39:17 PM

Not sure how meaningful this is given how most folks buy everything online now, but:

Target to Stop Selling Amazon's Kindle Devices
http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2012/05/02/target-to-stop-selling-amazon-kindle-devices/
"Target is phasing out Amazon- and Kindle-branded products in the spring of 2012," Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder wrote in an email to Reuters. "We will continue to offer our guests a full assortment of e-readers and supporting accessories."

The decision includes Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet, its range of Kindle e-readers and all accessories for the devices, including covers and chargers, Synder added.
They don't give a specific reason. I don't think it's Apple leaning on them, or else Best Buy etc. wouldn't offer both Apple and Amazon Kindle products either. But they do have finite space, and electronics is just one section there, so it might boil down to that.
In another article, this is probably a reaction to Amazon which asked folks to do the following:

1) Scan barcodes while shopping
2) Compare the prices from whatever store to the price on Amazon
3) Decide for yourself what to do.

Target sees this as Amazon trying to poach customers from Target's retail sales - clothes, appliances, electronics - basically all the stuff that Target sells.  Reaction by Target - stop selling Amazon products.  Since Target is not a major CD or book seller, they had no problem with offering Amazon products before.  But the above sequence is designed at stealing customers, because the Amazon prices are usually cheaper.  Say someone has Amazon Prime - free shipping.  The cost of Amazon Prime over a full year would probably wind up being less than taxes paid at the retail outlets and most of us don't pay any tax at all when shopping on Amazon.  That's my take based on the supposition from another article.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 09, 2012, 05:40:21 AM »

new Kindle Fire rumors are starting to flow.  thinner, with HD, still no word on a bigger version other than maybe later this year.  I'm leaning towards this being true if Apple actually releases a smaller iPad this fall.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 30, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »

Original Kindle Fire 'out of stock', new version due out next week?

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »

Amazon live event feed   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 06, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »

event has started.

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 06, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »

Kindle "Paperwhite"?  Don't think that's the name but that's how they're referring to it.

Touch-screen e-ink, higher contrast than current kindles, built-in adjustable light.  Take my money!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 06, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »

Kindle Paperwhite: 

Amazon "invented a new display." 25 percent more contrast. 212ppi, 62 percent more pixels.

"They're gonna love the light so much they're going to leave it on all the time. We figured that out early." It can get eight weeks with the light on! Wow.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 06, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »

$119 wi-fi, $179 3G, pre-order today ships 10-1.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:01:18 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »

$69 Kindle now.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 06, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »

Kindle serials... that sounds really cool.

Buy it once and you get all the installments. The installments are appended to the older ones. And there's a discussion element.

Man, I like this idea a lot. It's like fiction blogging for a Kindle, with writers adapting.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »

Kindle Fire time.

Kindle Fire is 22 percent of tablet sales in the US.

New processor , double the RAM. Battery is longer ad the performance is 44 percent faster.   $159.  9-14 ship date.

Kindle Fire HD-  bigger!

The large one is 8.8mm, 20 ounces, 8.9 inch display, 254ppi. The res is 1920 x 1200.

It's got a new polarizing filter on it. They've cut down on glare and increased the viewing angle here.

The touch sensor is laminated -- 25 % less glare. Sharper, clearer, better contrast.

And what about sound? The iPad has a single speaker, this has dual stereo speakers.

It also has Dolby Digital Plus -- the first tablet with that technology.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:27:16 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 06, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »

7 inch HD $199

8.9 inch $299, not due until November 20th.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 06, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2012, 06:48:15 PM

7 inch HD $199

you forgot the 499 4g lte version 

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 06, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 06, 2012, 07:12:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2012, 06:48:15 PM

7 inch HD $199

you forgot the 499 4g lte version 

thanks!  they hadn't announced that price when I had to step away for a bit.

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 06, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »

Addition of Bluetooth is pure win.

ANy word on if it has just the one camera?  Good for skyping, not for making movies, taking pictures...
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 07, 2012, 01:12:10 AM »

Ordered the 7" Fire HD.  As much as I want the 8.9 I just can't see spending 299.  Ordered and I can't wait for next week

NiM$
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 07, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 07, 2012, 01:12:10 AM

Ordered the 7" Fire HD.  As much as I want the 8.9 I just can't see spending 299.  Ordered and I can't wait for next week

I think I have enough miles to convert to an Amazon GC, that I can get an 8.9, but I kind of want to see what else is coming out, as well as more info regarding the battery life and stylus response times.  Unfortunately, by that time Amazon will probably be back ordered until February.  I guess I could return it if I don't like it though...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 07, 2012, 02:05:40 AM »

oddly enough I'm not tempted with these new ones.  they're new and shiney, but I just can't bring myself to want one.  maybe next year, but for now I'm content with my current Fire.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 07, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 07, 2012, 02:05:40 AM

oddly enough I'm not tempted with these new ones.  they're new and shiney, but I just can't bring myself to want one.  maybe next year, but for now I'm content with my current Fire.

woke up with buyers remorse, so I cancelled.  I will mull it over and if I still want I will get at a later date,  My current Kindle Fire does the job for reading anywhere and some light netflix/prime viewing when I'm in bed

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: September 07, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »

same boat.  I would love the upgrade, but unless I could somehow sell my current one, there's no point in having a second KF or KFHD, especially when I have a full size Asus TF301 as my tablet. 

If some retailer were to offer a decent amount on a trade-in I might jump on it though. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 07, 2012, 06:08:36 PM »

I'm very interested in the new Kindle. 

But it's the same thing, unless Amazon or someone offers a decent trade-in for the old one, forget it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »

Ordered myself a Paperwhite 3G.  I have a wifi-only Kindle 3 right now and it's great but I miss being able to save my progress anywhere.  I read on my phone at lunch every once in a while.  Manually finding your place on a Kindle is pretty annoying.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 07, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »

WTF?  While I prefer my Nexus 7 over my Fire, if true, this killed any interest I had in the new Fires.

All Kindle Fires sold to US customers will have home screen ads

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/09/all-kindle-fires-sold-to-us-customers-will-have-home-screen-ads/
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: September 08, 2012, 01:18:47 AM »

wow, that's bone-headed. 

not surprised they hid this out of the initial release information, but damn, what a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

that said, if you are going to get an HD version, you can be damn sure that the draw to root the device will mean you can get the benefit of a "subsidized" price without having to pay more. 

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 09, 2012, 05:47:21 AM »

Wow, that was fast.  About face!  Smart decision.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/09/amazon-backtracks-will-remove-ads-from-kindle-fire-for-15-fee/
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 09, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »

Its kind of funny, a lot of people are bitching about having to pay to remove an unwanted feature, specifically the ads.  Of course, they fail to acknowledge that the ads help reduce the cost of the hardware package and the removal of them has a negative financial effect for Amazon.  A one time $15 fee to remove the ads is no big deal to me but if you check out the various tech forums, you would think Amazon was holding hot coals to peoples feet.
  Im a fan of the Nook myself and have avoided Kindle mostly because of their lack of e-pub format support but the price point they are establishing for their hardware is pretty damn good and its going to have a positive ( for consumers ) effect on the market.  Of course Amazon isnt being altruistic in its efforts, it knows that the real money isnt in the hardware itself.   The kindle is just a gateway drug, the real addiction will the the aps and ebooks etc. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 09, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »

I'm sort of in the market... these are intriguing.  I have so little awareness of what other options are out there... what else should I be looking at in this price range?

My wife has an iPad, and it's nice, but... the 32gb pricing seems insane.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 09, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »

Well, these are definitely the best for the price so if you're not looking to spend $500 I'd recommend them
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 09, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

It really depends on what your needs are.   If youre looking for a tablet, right now I dont see a much better option than the Kindle Fire HD in the 8.9 size.  Its a great price point for what youre getting.  If size and having the latest/greatest tech isnt all that important,  look at the Nook Color or wait for the inevitable fire sale on the old model Kindle Fire.  For the price point the Nook Color is fantastic, and Im sure B&N will have an answer to this latest salvo by Amazon.  If youre just looking for an e-reader theres a lot of great and affordable options out there, through either Nook or Kindle as well as Sony and Kobo.  A nice e-reader can be had for around $50 these days.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »

REally enjoy our our regular kindle.

Love the improved sound, glare and bluetooth of the updated version, but we're not update junkies so not seeing a need to move right now.

I hope it continues to be a wild success.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 11, 2012, 03:46:04 AM »

Not looking for an e-reader (I have a Kindle), I'm looking for an effective tablet for normal tablet stuff, and some light work related stuff (taking notes in meetings, calling up google docs in meetings sort of stuff).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 25, 2013, 05:39:52 AM »

Dear Customers,

It's been just two years since we introduced Kindle Fire, and the team is innovating at unbelievable speed. Today, I'm excited to introduce you to the all-new Kindle Fire family.
The all-new Kindle Fire Family

These are powerhouse tablets. We added the latest graphics engine, doubled the memory, and tripled the processing power with the most advanced 2.2 GHz quad-core processor. Our HDX displays bring together exceptional pixel density (up to 339 ppi), perfect 100% sRGB color accuracy, improved brightness, and dynamic image contrast. You also get up to 11 hours of battery life—17 hours when you're reading.

Even the largest new Kindle Fire—the 8.9"—is startlingly light. We re-imagined our design from scratch, with a new magnesium unibody and molded glass-nylon alloy. At just 13.2 ounces, it's 34% lighter than the previous generation.

Kindle Fire HDX is packed with hundreds of updates, including new email, calendar, and productivity apps, X-Ray for Music, Second Screen, and—in addition to streaming—you can now download Prime Instant Videos and watch them offline.
The 'Mayday' Button

Kindle Fire HDX also introduces the revolutionary new "Mayday" button. With a single tap, an Amazon expert will appear on your Fire HDX and can co-pilot you through any feature by drawing on your screen, walking you through how to do something yourself, or doing it for you—whatever works best. Mayday is available 24x7, 365 days a year, and it's free.

Mayday is one of those things that really has to be seen—
check out our upcoming TV commercials.

In addition to all the above, we're taking another step forward in our mission to make it possible for anyone to afford a Kindle Fire. The all-new Kindle Fire HD has the same display quality and processing speed of last year's high-end models and comes in at the breakthrough price point of only $139.

We've worked hard to pack this much hardware, innovation, and customer obsession into these devices. We hope you enjoy the new Kindle Fires. Thank you for being a customer,

Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO

P.S. Our industrial design team has invented what I think are the most ingenious covers—you can learn more about the new Origami covers here.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: