http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:10:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle: Kindle Paperwhite! Updated Fire! Kindle Fire HD!  (Read 43415 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 16, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »

Got mire Fire sitting here still in its box since I'm at work. Stupid work not having wifi.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 16, 2011, 03:54:43 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 16, 2011, 03:22:02 PM

Anyone have a case or cover for the Fire they really like?  We got ours in yesterday and my wife's comment was that it was small (we have a couple of iPads, so she is used to that).  I wonder if they have a cover similar to the one for the iPad 2 that you can buy that is basically just a little flap that magnetically lays on the screen.  It even turns off the iPad 2 when you close it.  Anything like that for the Fire?

I am using Marware   No magnets thats shuts off the Fire, but I like it

I was interested in that Marware case but didn't buy it because of the negative reviews.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 16, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 16, 2011, 06:49:11 AM

As for general impressions of the Fire, I think people who somehow expect it to be an equal to the iPad will be disappointed. It's clearly not.

That's the interesting thing - the way I'm seeing it advertised/marketed is that it's essentially an iPad for less than half the price.  It will be interesting to see if that tactic works well in the longer term.

Anyway I pretty much agree with everything that Jimmy wrote, particularly regarding the browsing.  I've only played around a little bit but overall I do like it.  The smaller form factor has its pluses and minuses.  The seamless integration with Prime is definitely a plus.  Within moments I was watching the premiere episode of Lost for free, and it looked fantastic.  Size-wise, I do prefer the lighter weight and smaller frame for reading, but not for browsing.

If I could only choose one, I'd stick with my iPad, but I think this guy will find a place in my overall tech usage as well.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 16, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »

If that is the way it is being advertised, I think a lot of people will be disappointed. However, with software updates and interface improvements, it does have the potential to come close to being an equal to the iPad.

A couple of more observations from using it last night:

1. Book reading is a joy on this thing. The screen, even at that small of a size, is still great for displaying text. I really like the fact that it does not weigh much so my arm doesn't get fatigued holding it in bed. That was my biggest gripe with book reading on the iPad. with the device itself, and the magnetic cover and a clear plastic back protector case, the thing is fairly heavy to hold when reading.

2. No surprise, but the Amazon app store is not even close to comparing to the Apple app store. There isn't even a decent Facebook app for the Kindle, which is surprising. I imagine as time passes, the app selection will slowly grow but being used to the sheer amount of quality apps for the iPad the sparse selection for the Kindle is disappointing.

3. The Kindle Netflix app works well. Same with Hulu Plus, although there was some video stutter when I tried it.

4. The e-mail app is pretty basic no-frills, but I suppose it's adequate.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 16, 2011, 07:42:20 PM

1. Book reading is a joy on this thing. The screen, even at that small of a size, is still great for displaying text. I really like the fact that it does not weigh much so my arm doesn't get fatigued holding it in bed. That was my biggest gripe with book reading on the iPad. with the device itself, and the magnetic cover and a clear plastic back protector case, the thing is fairly heavy to hold when reading.

2. No surprise, but the Amazon app store is not even close to comparing to the Apple app store. There isn't even a decent Facebook app for the Kindle, which is surprising. I imagine as time passes, the app selection will slowly grow but being used to the sheer amount of quality apps for the iPad the sparse selection for the Kindle is disappointing.

Totally agree with these 2 points.

On a good note though, I just tried watching Lost again - but this time connected using my iPhone as a hotspot, and it still looked fantastic.  Color me impressed.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 17, 2011, 03:42:40 AM »

liking the Fire so far.  grabbed some apps, including Netflix, and I have a bunch of instant video credits from buying new blu rays that I'll end up spending too.

it has a nice solid feel to it too, makes my Kindle DX feel kinda cheap.

[edit]  I also like how it gives you a percentage for how much of a book you've read instead of the bar graph they used to have.  it also displays this in the Carousel section too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:49:32 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: November 17, 2011, 04:50:20 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 16, 2011, 07:42:20 PM

Keep in mind that you're looking at a limited selection of software that would 'work best' on the device (verses the entire Android Market selection). Of course, what works best can be argued (I'm hearing a lot more can run on it if you sideload it in, but others causes crashes), but that's Amazon's choice on the matter.

They wanted something simple and problem free to use.

Or as Wired put it:

It may be skinned in a pretty wrapper, but the Fire is still an Android device, and therefore has the software underpinning to run practically all the apps earmarked for Google’s mobile OS.

Well, that’s true in theory, but not in practice, as this tablet relies exclusively on Amazon’s Appstore For Android, which offers a vastly smaller (albeit qualified) subset of the 350,000-plus apps available in Android Market. According to Amazon, just “several thousand” Android apps will be available for download on the Fire when the tablet launches this week.

I wouldn’t worry about the smaller library. Most Android apps are crapware, and Fire owners will probably be grateful that Amazon is minding quality control.

An interesting look if you're interested in reading the whole thing. Kinda negative overall though. But an Android tablet for $200 is impressive in of itself.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:51:50 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: November 17, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

Hmmm, that Wired article looks suspiciously familiar...  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 17, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »

Got to play with it a little last night and definitely like it.  I'll echo that reading on it seems better than the iPad because of the size.  I didn't mind web browsing on the smaller screen, but obviously having a bigger one is better.  I would still want to read comics on the iPad (and magazines).  Still, I think I might start bringing this out instead of the iPad when I travel due to the smaller size and the fact that I would mostly want to read with what I bring on the road.  I bring my 3DS when I travel, so I don't really play games on the iPad.

Still need to figure out what case.  Trying to figure out why that Marware one is getting poor reviews.  Really,  though, I only want the case to put into for travel and I would take it out when using it, so I should probably go with one of those pouch solutions.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 17, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »

Honestly I have no issue with the Marware case and I've read some of the negative reviews and I disagree with most of them.  I don't think the case is cheaply made and seems quite sturdy IMO.   Happy with in to be honest.  I wish Amazon would have released an official case but I think after the Kindle cover debacle where the non-lighted version was bricking Kindles I think they just wanted to be out that market

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 17, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »

OK, I'm loving that they have far more font options for reading; Arial is so much more easier on  my eyes.  my only real complaint is that web pages show up on the Carousel and the fact there seems to be no way to remove stuff from it; I hardly need all of my books on there, especially if I don't have them on the device.

Took me a moment to find the Lending Store, and right now my only dislike of the idea is they limit it to only one book per month, which means if you are reading a trilogy it can take a while to finish.

I also grabbed Bejeweled 2 for free off the App store, gonna have to remember to check that section daily now.

kinda disappointed all the cases seem to have delays in shipping, I guess they weren't expecting the Fire to be so popular.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 17, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 17, 2011, 02:41:59 PM

Honestly I have no issue with the Marware case and I've read some of the negative reviews and I disagree with most of them.  I don't think the case is cheaply made and seems quite sturdy IMO.   Happy with in to be honest.  I wish Amazon would have released an official case but I think after the Kindle cover debacle where the non-lighted version was bricking Kindles I think they just wanted to be out that market

I ended up going with a little pouch that BUILT makes.  I hate having things in cases (my iPhone and iPad are naked).  Really, I just want something so the screen doesn't get scratched up in my bag when I travel and so the pouch will work great.  Should get it on Saturday.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 17, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

I found some Kindle screen savers at my local TJ Maxx a few weeks ago and bought them for $0.99.   Can't remember the brand but they are about $30 retail at Best Buy.   Threw them on and you can't even tell it's on.   Suppose to have lifetime scratch free warranty but i figured for $1 it wouldn't hurt to try them out.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 17, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 17, 2011, 02:18:17 PM

obviously having a bigger one is better.

Amen to that!   slywink

- - -

I went with a Belkin case from Best Buy as that was pretty much all they had.  I actually like it quite a bit, the inside is a really nice shade of blue and it is set up for different angles to stand in landscape mode.  Now I just need a shield so my grimy fingerprints don't get all over the place.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 18, 2011, 01:35:44 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 17, 2011, 02:41:59 PM

I wish Amazon would have released an official case

it's coming.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 18, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

Well I've been using my fire since tuesday too. I have a touchpad, but the android is very basic since it's alpha by CM team.

I was looking for something smaller to read on while still having the ability to function as a sort of tablet. I knew the fire wasn't the best thing ever like every review is comparing it to the ipad for some reason. That said, the games I've played worked fine, web browsing was fine(Mine isn't slow at all) and reading is fine. I never used a regular kindle so I can't compare to e-ink, but reading on the LCD is fine for me. Video play back seemed ok too, but I honestly didn't buy the device for that, I've seen some people have blurry pictures but i haven't experienced it.

The tablet is fast, the touch is a bit janky sometimes, but even my touchpad is the same. the UI is very friendly. Things are clearly marked on your home screen and you can pin favorites to your default screen. The one issue I have is wifi drops out when you turn the screen off. I understand to save battery life, but I really wish this was an option. wifi only takes a few seconds to pop back on.

I'm happy with it. It does what I wanted it to do. I almost canceled my preorder when the rumor about the 10 inch tablet was surfacing, and I don't doubt it one bit, but I honestly like the size. It's way easier to read and hold than my touchpad. The weight is only 12oz I believe, very light weight. The sides are easy to grip and I can even hold it with one hand if I want. 10inch would have been too big imo.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 07, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »

How do people like the Kindle Fire after a few months and the software update?  I'm thinking about getting one for the following uses:

1.  reading books on planes and trains (I'm particulalry interested in the lending library feature)
2.  web surfing
3.  Netflix streaming

I was thinking about getting a Kindle Touch, but am willing to pay an extra $100 to get functions 2 and 3 above.  Hopefully still works well on the Fire.

So, what do the early adopters think?  I'll probably wait until the CES this week to make sure nothing is announced that will give me buyers remorse.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »

How much appeal does e-ink have for you?
KC

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 07, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 07, 2012, 05:42:30 PM

How much appeal does e-ink have for you?

I have heard good things about e-ink, but would like a multipurpose device if the reading experience doesn't suffer.  I've seen the ads saying that e-ink is better to read in direct sunlight, but I doubt I will be doing that much as I generally read on planes and trains.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: January 07, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »

Quote from: KC on January 07, 2012, 06:55:07 PM

I have heard good things about e-ink, but would like a multipurpose device if the reading experience doesn't suffer. 

It does.

The problem with discussing e-ink is that if you haven't seen it in action it's impossible to understand just what kind of impact it has. I'd recommend finding an e-ink device and reading a bit on it to see what it's all about. An LCD screen can never compete in terms of comfort, readability and battery time (by far!). You have to ask yourself if you want to sacrifice reading comfort for something that can do more than display books. Personally I'd rather have an additional device for the stuff that has nothing to do with books, and use an e-ink Kindle for actual reading.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 07, 2012, 07:41:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 07, 2012, 07:35:35 PM

I have heard good things about e-ink, but would like a multipurpose device if the reading experience doesn't suffer.

It does.

The problem with discussing e-ink is that if you haven't seen it in action it's impossible to understand just what kind of impact it has. I'd recommend finding an e-ink device and reading a bit on it to see what it's all about. An LCD screen can never compete in terms of comfort, readability and battery time (by far!). You have to ask yourself if you want to sacrifice reading comfort for something that can do more than display books. Personally I'd rather have an additional device for the stuff that has nothing to do with books, and use an e-ink Kindle for actual reading.

And I'll chime in on the other side.  I've read on my iPad for 8+ hours on overseas trips and had no issue.  Once the original iPad came out, my Kindle II went into the land of obsolete gadgets.

E-Ink is technically better for reading, but I don't think that benefit is outweighed by the fact that it's a single function device.

Of course, your eyes may vary.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 07, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 07, 2012, 07:35:35 PM

It does.

I had a kindle with e-Ink and I still would much rather read on the iPad or Fire.  The only reason I would want the old Kindle is if I were going to read outside and I don't read outside, so not an issue.  I do, however, read in bed in the dark and having a lit screen is so much better than using a book light.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 07, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »

I don't know how you guys do it, I have been reading on my iPad a lot more lately thanks to Newsstand and it makes me miss my Kindle. Reading on a LCD for anything more than an hour gives me a headache. I can read my eInk Kindle for hours.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 07, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 07, 2012, 11:03:31 PM

I don't know how you guys do it, I have been reading on my iPad a lot more lately thanks to Newsstand and it makes me miss my Kindle. Reading on a LCD for anything more than an hour gives me a headache. I can read my eInk Kindle for hours.

I think in my case it's just that I'm really used to it.  I've stared at computer screens nearly every day for hours on end for 10+ years.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: January 08, 2012, 05:42:46 AM »

I returned my Kindle Fire after a couple of weeks. As an Amazon delivery system it's great. The problem is that I already have an ipad and the Fire wasn't nearly as elegant. Plus, the inability to change anything on the home screen drove me nuts. I think they have sense fixed this. And it was just bulky and heavy. At close to a pound it's about the same weight as the ipad 2. I could never find a comfortable way to hold it with one hand (that's what she said). Oh, and the power button on the bottom was the stupidest thing. Sometimes I would set it on my chest as I read and it would turn off. ARGH!

In the end I find my kindle touch to be my preferred reader with my ipad 2 a close second. With the Touch and Fire on my night stand, I always reached for the much lighter and easy to hold Touch.

I do think the next Fire will be a winner. I suspect Amazon will get it right on the next version.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 08, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on January 08, 2012, 05:42:46 AM

I returned my Kindle Fire after a couple of weeks. As an Amazon delivery system it's great. The problem is that I already have an ipad and the Fire wasn't nearly as elegant. Plus, the inability to change anything on the home screen drove me nuts. I think they have sense fixed this. And it was just bulky and heavy. At close to a pound it's about the same weight as the ipad 2. I could never find a comfortable way to hold it with one hand (that's what she said). Oh, and the power button on the bottom was the stupidest thing. Sometimes I would set it on my chest as I read and it would turn off. ARGH!

Just curious as to what you were expecting from it if you had an iPad and an eInk Kindle? What would have convinced you that you needed an iPad (with the Kindle app) and a Fire? Not trying to be snarky, but as soon as the Fire was released I wrote it off as a cheap tablet meant to compete with the color Nook.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 08, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »

liking mine.  I use it to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant videos mainly, and it's the perfect size to fit on my desk so I can have a movie or show running while I play TOR.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 08, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »

In the end I find my kindle touch to be my preferred reader with my ipad 2 a close second. With the Touch and Fire on my night stand, I always reached for the much lighter and easy to hold Touch.

I do think the next Fire will be a winner. I suspect Amazon will get it right on the next version.

I like it better than the iPad just for reading because it is smaller and more the size of a book.  So, I use the Kindle pretty much solely for reading and have the iPad for everything else.  If I am lazy and have the Kindle at hand already, I will occasionally browse the web on it.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 08, 2012, 06:44:15 PM »

I saw one at Sam's Club and noticed the on/off switch on the bottom that people have complained about.  I'll probably for the Fire2 since I have at least a 6 month backlog of books.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 08, 2012, 07:04:40 PM »

So my dad got a Kindle Touch and it's just absurdly slow. You click the shopping cart, and fifteen seconds later it starts to load Amazon. You click the search bar, and five seconds later the keyboard shows up. You click the a, three seconds later an a appears, etc. Often times after showing a search result, if I want to hit the back button the entire thing becomes completely unresponsive and I have to hit the home button and start the process anew. Doing anything aside from actually reading a book on this thing is just a chore.

Resetting the system makes it slightly more responsive for a while but I really hope they release an update that fixes this shit soon. So far my impression is: I'd rather have a Nook. Or an iPad. Or a netbook. Or a laptop. Or an actual book...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 08, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »

The Kindle standard, touch, and keyboard are really just meant for reading books.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »

Is the web browser still in the 'Experimental' section of the menu? I just use my Kindle for reading, all shopping for e-books happens from my PC. Then it's just Wi-Fi on, download, Wi-Fi off and everything is sync'd up.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #672 on: January 08, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 08, 2012, 09:26:13 PM

I just use my Kindle for reading, all shopping for e-books happens from my PC. Then it's just Wi-Fi on, download, Wi-Fi off and everything is sync'd up.

This is exactly how I use mine as well.  No reason not to do all my book browsing and buying on a PC.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 08, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 08, 2012, 08:15:27 PM

The Kindle standard, touch, and keyboard are really just meant for reading books.

Then why do they have built in WiFi and links to the Amazon Storefront? Why is one of the advertised bullet point features the ability to shop for books on it? Is that just to tease its customers with functionality that's barely usable?

MonkeyFinger, the web browser is still in the "Experimental" section of the menu, but buttons to the Amazon Storefront are on numerous other screens with no mention of it being "experimental functionality". I don't think they're the same applications.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: January 08, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »

Quote from: heloder on January 08, 2012, 09:38:21 PM

Then why do they have built in WiFi and links to the Amazon Storefront? Why is one of the advertised bullet point features the ability to shop for books on it? Is that just to tease its customers with functionality that's barely usable?

My 3rd generation Kindle (and my 2nd generation for that matter) has no issues accessing the Amazon store, and I've bought books that way multiple times, both through Wifi and 3G.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 08, 2012, 09:55:31 PM

Quote from: heloder on January 08, 2012, 09:38:21 PM

My 3rd generation Kindle (and my 2nd generation for that matter) has no issues accessing the Amazon store, and I've bought books that way multiple times, both through Wifi and 3G.

My Kindle is 3rd Gen and after this conversation decided to finally try accessing the Amazon store with it via Wi-Fi... worked just fine.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:06 AM »

The Amazon bookstore works great through an e-ink Kindle...loads quickly on both wifi and 3G, is easily searchable, and gives you all the summary and review info that's available on the full website.  It's a version of the bookstore custom-made for the Kindle, and I've actually used it to buy more of my books than Amazon's website.  The ability to quickly find and purchase books through my 3G Kindle is one of the reasons I like it so much...can finish one book and almost instantly purchase and download another from anywhere, whether I have a wifi connection available or not.  I can't imagine a much more convenient way to do my purchasing and reading when I'm traveling.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:11:51 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »

I have a Nook (imho it is a far superior piece of hardware than the Kindle touch- Wife has the kindle and frankly the Nook is much spiffier) for reading and a Fire for everything else.

I have now had my Fire for 2 weeks.

Movies- love it- perfect size for lap sitting.  I travel a lot.  All the hotels have wifi so between Prime and Netflix, I am covered.  The size and weight are perfect for laying in bed or sitting at the desk eating takeout and watching.

Apps and such.  I use it every boring.  I ready the NYtimes, USA today, AP feed and a few others.  Don't need a news paper delivered when I get it all for free.  That said, the Apps are VERY limited.  It is the Amazon app store, not the Android app store.  I hope that changes soon.  I have some apps on my phone that I would love on my Kindle but alas they are not offered yet. That is my big downside right now to the Fire...While there may not be many apps out there I want, I *feel* like there are so that is an issue for me.

Email- I have both my verizon pop acct and my gmail- they both work great. 

Websurfing- works just fine- frankly I never open my laptop any more at home- no reason when that little 7 inches is sitting on the coffee table next to my beer.

Reading- I am a huge proponent of e-reader/e-ink.  I love it.  I think everyone in the world should have an e-reader.  I will always travel with BOTH the fire and the kindle/nook.  Not a big deal-they are both small and light but for full time reading, e-ink is great.  Plus, if you go sit by the pool- that LED screen just won't cut it.  Plus it is lighter and thusly easier to hold.  I do have the comics app on the fire -ComicsX I believe- anyway that works just fine.  You may have to expand an bit on some of the small text but no biggie.  I just got my first magazine sub on it- PC Gamer- I was NOT going to spend 9 bucks to get the SWTOR issue when the sub is 2 dollars a month and I can cancel for no charge in 2 weeks.  Verdict?  I like it- it is not perfect- there is some size issue again- you would not have that on the iPad but, for a 200 dollar tablet that is this slick- I could not be happier.

Bottom line, for the price, this thing is fantastic.  I do need to couple it with an e-reader but I knew that going it- it was never meant to replace an e-reader and it doesn't but...now I get all those spiffy .99 book deals from Amazon, I can watch some silly old movies that I never got around to watching, and really there is not much of a downside- all for 200 dollars.

Oh a note on that 29.00 mar ware case- get it.  Works like a charm. Compact, sturdy, and the stand works great for movies and it doesn't make the Fire BIG.

I know I am a bit late and rambling but frankly I think there is too much "it's not an iPad" and other negative talk about the Fire.  My kid has an iPad and there is no way you can read for a long period of time- it is too heavy.  That said, a bigger screen is nice for magazines, movies and such but it is also 300 dollars more.  If I had an iPad 2 I would not have a Fire for sure- but since I don't...I got the Fire.  Would I trade it for an iPad 2?  Maybe but only if you give me the 300.00....Cause I just don't see it being that much better.  But again, different device, different crowd, different market.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:06 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 08, 2012, 05:49:05 AM

Just curious as to what you were expecting from it if you had an iPad and an eInk Kindle? What would have convinced you that you needed an iPad (with the Kindle app) and a Fire? Not trying to be snarky, but as soon as the Fire was released I wrote it off as a cheap tablet meant to compete with the color Nook.

I just wanted a new toy.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: January 15, 2012, 04:54:52 AM »

Question:

Wife and I have separate Amazon accounts. Her account has Prime on it. She shared it with me so now I have it, I suppose. I also have a Kindle 1st gen. Can I borrow books via Prime now? When I go to the Amazon store, I see I can buy the books, but they are not at $0.00.

Any help?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: