http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:10:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle: Kindle Paperwhite! Updated Fire! Kindle Fire HD!  (Read 42132 times)
Covenant
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 15, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »

Picked a wifi only version up last night at Target (along with the sweet built in reading light case) and am completely in love. 

Pros:
1) Converting my existing ebook collection and getting it onto the Kindle was easy-cheesy.  Calibre (freeware ebook management tool) can be setup with your Kindle information.  After that it's just a few clicks to bulk convert everything to mobi and email to your free.kindle.com account for pickup by your device.
2) Amazon integration is nice.  The prices seem fair to me, and they have a decent amount of free content.
3) The new e-ink pearl screen is insanely nice looking.
4) The case with integrated reading light is very sweet.  Professional looking, nice fit, no external battery.  Kinda pricy, but worth it.
5) Solves the issue of having to rebuy books I previously read because they got lost in a move. Everything I buy through Amazon is on my account, and everything else is in my Calibre library.
6) No more pile of books on the nightstand. I'm usually in the middle of several books at once, so now they can all be on one device that takes up the space of a single small paperback.
7) Reading seems more exciting and fun on it.  it speaks to my inner gadget geek.

Cons:
1) Managing large collections on the device is gonna be a PITA.  Collections seem to help this, but setting them up is clunky, and it doesn't go far enough.  It really needs a foldering system, or at the very least nested collections.
2) Navigating this device makes me yearn for my ipod touch.
3) No native epub support sucks.  Converting is easy enough, but I really shouldn't have to.  Thankfully I don't yuse my public library so borrowing ebooks isn't an issue for me, but I don't like the fact that I can't if I ever wanted to.  let's hope they fix this with a firmware update someday.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase, and I see this device getting me to read more often which is a good thing.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 15, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »

I didn't even know Target was selling the Kindle. I just checked their website and it's not listed there yet. Do they have the wifi only version or both types? And is the price the same as through Amazon?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 15, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »

Yeah they must not be allowed to advertise online or something but they definitely carry it.  My local store had 3 3G/Wifi units, and 2 Wifi only units in stock, and they are priced the same as Amazon.  The guy I talked to on the phone said the inventory is kinda spotty so it's probably best to call ahead if you are interested.  They also carry the Amazon cases as well as lots of third party stuff.

I like that they have them in stores now as it let me hold one in my hand before spending the money.  I believe Best Buy is also carrying them now as well.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 15, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »

I think BB is carrying The Nook.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 15, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »

Best Buy has the Nook, Kindle 3, and several Sony models, but the ones around me don't have the newest Sony models on display.  They sell the 350, but you can't handle it first.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 15, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Amazon has a fixed price on the kindles.  They are available in stores now but the price is firm, no matter where you buy it.

I'm getting an e-reader soon but as much as I like the Kindle 3, the lack of e-pub is killing it for me.  Why block the single most available e-book format?  Greed, pure and simple.  They don't want you borrowing books, they want you buying them.  Hopefully, they will have a change of heart on this issue, otherwise I'll probably get a Nook.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 18, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »

I've decided not to buy a Kindle after all, pretty much for the reasons listed above.  To be honest I've been blinded by gadget fever all this time, and I'm really glad I didn't just buy one on impulse because I'm pretty certain I'd be regretting it by now.

I'll check back when prices are better, there's no DRM, and all publishers and retailers have agreed on a single format.  So, what, another six months or so? icon_biggrin

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: October 22, 2010, 04:32:30 AM »

I finally charged my Kindle 3 today. I have had it for over a month and it wasn't even dead yet. Impressive life out of this puppy.

I like the lighted case but it gets hard to read at the bottom of the page. Others may have pointed this out.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »

I finally got a chance to use the lighted case the other night and didn't really have an issue.  It's certainly not as bright down at the bottom, but everything was still easily readable.  I wonder if the light intensity is dependant onhow charged your battery is?  Mine is still near full.

Oh, and I am still loving this device.  It has me reading every night before I go to sleep again which is nice.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: October 22, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »

It really is the best device I have tried. I had a Kindle 2 and it was great but a bit bulky. The iPad is just too cumbersome to read on and if there is any light shining on the screen, forget about reading.

The Kindle 3, on the other hand, is light, thin and you can read it just about everywhere. It looks amazing in daylight.

Books are cheaper too. In fact (pardon my shameless plug) but you can pick up one of my books The Zombie Wilson Diaries for a mere $2.39 right now while it is on sale. It's the most fun you can have with a corpse in a coconut bra.

<Shameless plug mode off>

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »

Finally went to Target and got the Wifi+3G version and the cool Kindle brand case with the built in light. Am very happy with it, getting all sorts of free books and games, since I find it hard at this time to justify buying expensive ebooks when I have hundreds of regular books awaiting my reading pleasure.

The only issue I'm having is with the browser. I changed the settings to access my wifi at home, which works fine,  and then played with the browser, which is ok if somewhat limited. But at work where I have no wifi I tried using the 3G and the browser and it's no go. I am able to get things over Whispernet so I do have a connection. Is it something to do with the browser requiring some data connection that has less coverage than Whispernet? I'll test it some more today to be sure, but right now I'm a bit confused.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: February 27, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »

I also bought version wifi + 3g few days ago and loving it so far. This screen is really awesome for reading.

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »

Do these screens work in the dark too?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 28, 2011, 05:29:05 PM »

yes, but you'll need a light...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 28, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »

Yes, they work, but like a paper book, you'll need a light to see them.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: February 28, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »

Ah. Fun.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 28, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »

I have the Amazon Kindle branded lighted cover. I really like that it runs off the Kindle battery, no separate batteries needed. Excellent coverage, clever design.

Oh, and I quickly resolved my Wi-Fi issue I mentioned above. It was indeed because the Kindle will look for the strongest signal, 3G or Wi-Fi, so I just had to move closer to my pathetic wireless router  icon_biggrin

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: March 01, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

Sure the screen works in the dark too but... you don't see it smile. Well for now if i read in the evenings i use lamp, but i also  ordered Kindle Lighted Leather Cover with built in light powered by Kindle battery - i heard this is the best cover/light for it.

Kindle has one "bug" - it doesn't allow you to read two books at once and i don't know what to do if my wife wants to read in the same time i do! I don't want to buy Kindle twice biggrin

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 01, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »

I just wanted to mention that the screen works just as well in the dark even though you won't be able to see it, what with it being dark.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 22, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »

an Android Kindle in the works? 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: March 22, 2011, 01:30:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 22, 2011, 12:16:44 AM

It's certainly possible, but my guess is that those job postings were related to the Amazon Android Marketplace and other initiatives they have going on.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: March 22, 2011, 02:11:25 AM »

With the push to add streaming videos to Amazon Prime customers - I've been suspecting that an upcoming Kindle will take advantage of that service. An Android Kindle might be a push in that direction.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: March 23, 2011, 02:17:49 AM »

Well, considering that Amazon just released their own Android App Store today (offering one free program a day - today's is another version of Angry Birds), this doesn't surprise me in the least.

On the total flip side of things, my Nook Color makes for a great, cheap Android Tablet/eReader (once I rooted it the first hour or so after I got it, anyway). So this doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Amazon is working on said device.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:31 AM »

isn't the Kindle about due for a refresh anyways?

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2011, 03:23:31 AM

isn't the Kindle about due for a refresh anyways?

It's up to version three so there have been a number of hardware and software changes. The AT&T-T-Mobile merger should give me better 3G reception in some places, maybe  Roll Eyes. I just don't want them to think "boy, we ought to put out a color version" and jack up the price. Let people buy tablets if they want that.

One new Kindle I would go for is a new version of the DX with both 3G and WiFi, basically the Kindle 3 but in a bigger size. And a lower price  slywink.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 23, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

I agree.  I have no desire at all to read on a color screen at all.  Unless it's color eInk, which I don't think exists yet.

Go Gunners...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 23, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 23, 2011, 01:17:36 PM

I agree.  I have no desire at all to read on a color screen at all.  Unless it's color eInk, which I don't think exists yet.

Exactly.  My birthday is coming up, and I think the wife may get me a Kindle by default (though I'm trying to convince her an iPad wouldn't be all bad), but I was really hoping to wait until color eInk was developed.  Still, I imagine that's some time off yet.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: March 23, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 23, 2011, 01:17:36 PM

It does exist, and I think even a couple of Asian e-readers have been created with the technology, but it's not very impressive yet. Amazon has a team dedicated to researching and improving the e-ink tech so that it can use colors, from what I understand. I expect them to be among the very first companies to use a proper version of color e-ink.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 23, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 23, 2011, 10:49:45 AM

One new Kindle I would go for is a new version of the DX with both 3G and WiFi, basically the Kindle 3 but in a bigger size. And a lower price  slywink.

I have a first or second gen DX (they changed it at one point but kept the look the same, unlike the third generation with the graphite) so I'm keeping an eye out for the DX4.  they already have 3G though, and it's free so I'm not sure why you'd need WiFi.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2011, 03:13:41 PM

they already have 3G though, and it's free so I'm not sure why you'd need WiFi.

Wi-Fi uses less power, so the battery lasts longer.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 23, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 23, 2011, 03:45:50 PM

they already have 3G though, and it's free so I'm not sure why you'd need WiFi.

Wi-Fi uses less power, so the battery lasts longer.

I just turn off the wireless when I'm not using it, that helps save battery life.  if I need to sync between it and my iPhone I just pop it back on for a minute then off it goes.  I don't see much point in keeping it on all the time.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 23, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 23, 2011, 10:49:45 AM

I have a first or second gen DX (they changed it at one point but kept the look the same, unlike the third generation with the graphite) so I'm keeping an eye out for the DX4.  they already have 3G though, and it's free so I'm not sure why you'd need WiFi.

Out where I work 3G is pretty weak to non-existent, but there's a nearby McDonald's cranking out the WiFi. My Kindle 3 of course has both which give me the best of both worlds, I'd love that on a DX sized reader. And, hey, throw in color e-ink and I'm all over it!  nod

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 12, 2011, 03:06:50 AM »

there is a $114 Kindle now, with the following deal:

Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
New, Lower Price
When you buy Kindle with Special Offers, you are getting the same bestselling Kindle for $25 less—only $114. Special offers and sponsored screensavers display on the Kindle screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen—they don't interrupt reading.
Special Offers
You'll receive special offers directly on your Kindle. Examples include:

* $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
    * $6 for 6 Audible Books (normally $68)
    * $1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
    * $10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop

Sponsored Screensavers
Our goal is to display sponsored screensavers that you want to see. That's why we've created a free Kindle app and website (coming soon) called AdMash. Anyone who's interested can download AdMash and help pick future screensavers. Two prospective screensavers show up side-by-side, and you pick the one you find most attractive. The ones preferred most by customers qualify to become sponsored screensavers.

You can also set your personal Kindle Screensaver Preferences to give us hints on the style and types of sponsored screensavers you'd like to see on your Kindle. For example, you can indicate that you'd like to see more or fewer screensavers that include elements such as landscapes and scenery, architecture, travel images, photography, and illustrations. Together, AdMash voting and Kindle Screensaver Preferences help us select the most attractive and engaging sponsored screensavers to display on your Kindle.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:30:17 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 12, 2011, 03:29:15 AM »

Im not really sure Id want to save $25 to buy the new Kindle Spam.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2011, 03:39:44 AM »

I don't think I would mind terribly if the ads were only on the screensaver, since I don't really pay attention to that anyway and it is only there when I turn it off.  Not such a big fan of the "special offers direct to your Kindle!" thing, though.

Only $25 off isn't exactly enticing to me, knowing that there would always be this channel of never ending advertisements on my device.  Of course, I already have one, so nothing would entice me to buy another one.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: April 12, 2011, 03:43:26 AM »

if they ever do a free Kindle for Prime members I can see them using this new one.  still, I have to admit I'd jump on 3 of the 4 examples for special offers listed.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 12, 2011, 03:43:48 AM »

i already own a Kindle, but if i were in the market i don't think that i would see a $25 difference on a device that i will own for a long period of time as enough motivation to put up with advertisements.  everyone's motivations and financial situations are different though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »

I really like my Kindle, and it's my preferred way to read a book... except that I never use it.  It's hard to compete with $4 for a used copy of a book, especially if I can put that $4 into a local store.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 12, 2011, 03:29:15 AM

Im not really sure Id want to save $25 to buy the new Kindle Spam.

This.
I really don't know why they didn't use this opportunity to take the price of the Kindle south of $100 for the first time.

Quote from: kratz on April 12, 2011, 02:59:16 PM

I really like my Kindle, and it's my preferred way to read a book... except that I never use it.  It's hard to compete with $4 for a used copy of a book, especially if I can put that $4 into a local store.

I've been going to used bookstores less because I prefer reading on my Kindle now. Plus I have too many unread physical books taking up space around me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:36:00 PM by ChaoZ » Logged
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 12, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »

I've stopped going to used book stores as well.  That's a market that's going to get killed by e-readers.  I feel for the used book store owners, but I guess I'd rather put money in the author's hands.  It's not like books are this monumental expense to begin with.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: