http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:32:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle: Kindle Paperwhite! Updated Fire! Kindle Fire HD!  (Read 45368 times)
Tokek
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 15, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »

I'm still a Prime customer (til June 2010) and I hope they go for it. Sadly, I won't be able to take advantage of it since I've moved out of the country.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: February 15, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »

For those of you who have Prime, approximately how often do you order from Amazon.com?  I've been considering Prime since I ordered quite a few games, books and things from them last year, but I'm not sure at what point it really becomes worthwhile.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 15, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 15, 2010, 06:04:01 PM

For those of you who have Prime, approximately how often do you order from Amazon.com?  I've been considering Prime since I ordered quite a few games, books and things from them last year, but I'm not sure at what point it really becomes worthwhile.

IIRC when I did a breakdown of  the break even point awhile back it was 10-11 small orders, maybe a few less if you spring for next day delivery or place big orders.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 15, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »

Amazon is my default store for pretty much everything.  I only go with someone else if Amazon doesn't have it or if the price difference is really high.  It's like pulling teeth to get me to order from anyone else because after the consistency of free 2-day shipping (which often shows up in one day), it is very hard to go back to "maybe it'll be here sometime this week or next". 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 15, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »

I definitely order more from Amazon with Prime than without, which is obviously their evil plan.  Without Prime, I would often buy more "impulse" items at a store for a higher price rather than wait for the free shipping, and that's if I could even get over the $25 free shipping mark.  With Prime, I can have impulse items in two days at most, frequently next day.  It's also awesome for holidays because I can leave shopping til the last minute and still reliably get things on time.

Also, they've started doing release day delivery for most of the more major game releases.  I can order from Amazon for usually a few bucks off MSRP, frequently with a bonus $10 gift card, free release day delivery, and have the game sitting at my door on the day it's in stores.  That's way better than dealing with Gamestop or Best Buy.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 15, 2010, 06:42:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 15, 2010, 06:21:51 PM

Amazon is my default store for pretty much everything.  I only go with someone else if Amazon doesn't have it or if the price difference is really high.  It's like pulling teeth to get me to order from anyone else because after the consistency of free 2-day shipping (which often shows up in one day), it is very hard to go back to "maybe it'll be here sometime this week or next". 

Same here.  Also buying from Amazon saves me the absurd California 10% sales tax.  I almost never buy something outside of groceries or clothes that isn't from Amazon.  I never buy something online that isn't on Amazon, unless somehow they do not carry that particular item.

I love me some Prime.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 15, 2010, 07:18:42 PM »

Same.  I even started ordering stuff like deodorant through Amazon because it's cheaper and I pay no tax.  If I can get it on Amazon, then I usually do instead of brick and mortar.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2010, 07:24:24 PM »

OK, I guess I've derailed this Kindle thread enough for now.  Thanks for all the responses, I think you've sold me on the Prime thing.  We'll see how it goes, but I know I will like not trying to build up $25 for free shipping or waiting for that to arrive.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 15, 2010, 07:24:24 PM

OK, I guess I've derailed this Kindle thread enough for now.  Thanks for all the responses, I think you've sold me on the Prime thing.  We'll see how it goes, but I know I will like not trying to build up $25 for free shipping or waiting for that to arrive.

Don't forget that release day shipping for video games is FREE with Prime! (when it's offered for that game).
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 15, 2010, 07:26:07 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 15, 2010, 07:24:24 PM

OK, I guess I've derailed this Kindle thread enough for now.  Thanks for all the responses, I think you've sold me on the Prime thing.  We'll see how it goes, but I know I will like not trying to build up $25 for free shipping or waiting for that to arrive.

Don't forget that release day shipping for video games is FREE with Prime! (when it's offered for that game).

Yeah, that is absolutely one of the big sellers to me.  Games through Amazon are generally a few dollars cheaper than retail, I pay no tax, possibly get $10 back during the holidays and don't have to deal with retail zombies.  Win win win win.  smile

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »

Amazon's also really good with preorders.  If you preorder, you get the lowest price they offer it for, even if you order at Price A, it drops to Price B, then goes back up to Price A, you get it for Price B.  Even better, if there's a preorder giveaway, you will get one.

When I ordered Muramasa, they were advertising a free poster, which I didn't really care about.  The game came in, and I got the code to request the poster from the publisher, which I did.  The poster came a few weeks later.  A bit after that, I got an email from Amazon.  Apparently the publisher didn't have enough posters to fill all the requests, so Amazon was giving everyone who ordered the game a $10 gift card in case they didn't get the poster, just to apologize.  Contrast with Gamestop, where they generally won't know about a preorder giveaway, and won't care if you don't get one.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 15, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »

I have been preordering everything from Amazon also.  Been really happy with their service.  It sucks that Hawai'i cannot take advantage of prime though  tear

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »

I have a Prime person since they offered it.  Unsaid but important to me, Prime applies to any order you make even if you are shipping it to someone else.  So I can get gifts or just things for my GF and friends and the shipping is free or if they are looking for something they tell me I get it shipped to them in 2 Days free.

Once you go Prime you never go back  nod
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 17, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »

Aren't you technically responsible for the use tax on the items?  I think in Wisconsin we are, and every once and a while the state goes on a use tax witch hunt during audits.  The penalites and interest really add up. 

Quote from: gellar on February 15, 2010, 06:42:28 PM

Same here.  Also buying from Amazon saves me the absurd California 10% sales tax.  I almost never buy something outside of groceries or clothes that isn't from Amazon.  I never buy something online that isn't on Amazon, unless somehow they do not carry that particular item.

I love me some Prime.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: February 18, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on February 17, 2010, 06:11:40 PM

Aren't you technically responsible for the use tax on the items?  I think in Wisconsin we are, and every once and a while the state goes on a use tax witch hunt during audits.  The penalites and interest really add up. 

Oh, absolutely so. Does anybody at all report it? Not in the slightest.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 18, 2010, 02:47:40 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 18, 2010, 12:05:04 AM

Quote from: iloveplywood on February 17, 2010, 06:11:40 PM

Oh, absolutely so. Does anybody at all report it? Not in the slightest.

Indeed.  My accountant never asks me for it either so at least I have some level of plausible deniability in case it does come up slywink.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »

well I finally ordered my Kindle DX, so I imagine an upgrade to the Kindle line is due sometime soon  Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »

well, got my Kindle DX yesterday (paid 4 bucks for next day shipping, I <3 prime) and spent a good portion of last night/early this morning reading Magic Kingdom for Sale-Sold! on it .  I LOVE it!  I'm looking at covers for it and may splurge on this one unless I can find something neater (like a Necronomicon based one).

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 13, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »

If I had infinite money (or at least more than I have now), I'd be getting one from Oberon Design.  They are gorgeous.  As it is, I just went with the basic cover.  One day I'll get something nicer.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 13, 2010, 10:40:14 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 13, 2010, 10:16:42 PM

If I had infinite money (or at least more than I have now), I'd be getting one from Oberon Design.  They are gorgeous.  As it is, I just went with the basic cover.  One day I'll get something nicer.

Wow. Those are kind of awesome. Extremely expensive, but awesome.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 13, 2010, 10:41:14 PM »

Nice! If I had a Kindle I would be all over the 'Sky Dragon' one - Chinese five toe no less, Emperors only.  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 13, 2010, 10:46:10 PM »

Oooh, the Kindle 2 ones are only $75. That's a bit more in line with my "Silly expensive things I don't need" budget.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 16, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »

finished reading my first book on the Kindle and have to say I'm loving it.  I do find myself missing an easy way to tell how much is left to read; I realize there is the percentage counter but I miss good old page numbers.  so far I've been managing to resist the urge to buy a bunch of books, since I can get them quickly there's no sense in having a backlog.

4 days for my first book, kinda impressive (to me at least) considering I only read 2 books last year, not including comic books.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 16, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2010, 04:13:35 PM

finished reading my first book on the Kindle and have to say I'm loving it.  I do find myself missing an easy way to tell how much is left to read; I realize there is the percentage counter but I miss good old page numbers.  so far I've been managing to resist the urge to buy a bunch of books, since I can get them quickly there's no sense in having a backlog.

4 days for my first book, kinda impressive (to me at least) considering I only read 2 books last year, not including comic books.

They have a lot of free classics for Kindle.  smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 16, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 16, 2010, 04:40:14 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2010, 04:13:35 PM

They have a lot of free classics for Kindle.  smile

I was going through those and didn't really see anything interesting that I haven't already read or seen in movie/tv/done with the Muppets format many times.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »

CK, Amazon offers a ton a free books to get people interested in new authors

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 16, 2010, 06:36:54 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 16, 2010, 05:55:34 PM

CK, Amazon offers a ton a free books to get people interested in new authors

oddly enough the book I just finished was one of those. I got a few others; right now I've got so many choices I'm kinda having trouble choosing  icon_lol

maybe I should pick a bunch and run an ongoing poll as to what book I should read next....

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 16, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »

Any news on giving this for free to Prime members?  I haven't seen anything lately about that.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 16, 2010, 06:39:25 PM

Any news on giving this for free to Prime members?  I haven't seen anything lately about that.

I have been wondering the same thing as I am about to pull the trigger on getting one. Do they still have that 30 day trial program?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 21, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »

Quote from: crumsteel on March 21, 2010, 09:03:57 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 16, 2010, 06:39:25 PM

I have been wondering the same thing as I am about to pull the trigger on getting one. Do they still have that 30 day trial program?

yeah, they still have a 30 day return period.  no further word on that free kindle for prime members idea they had though.

Because I can,
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2010, 10:54:10 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on March 13, 2010, 10:40:14 PM

If I had infinite money (or at least more than I have now), I'd be getting one from Oberon Design.  They are gorgeous.  As it is, I just went with the basic cover.  One day I'll get something nicer.

Wow. Those are kind of awesome. Extremely expensive, but awesome.

Holy crap!  I know what I want for my birthday now.  Or at least something I want that I wouldn't want to spend the money on.  At the Kindle 2 price I would be all over that.  Those are awesome.

On the Prime thing again, like for many others, it made Amazon the default go-to for almost any item.  It ended my trips to Brick-and-Mortar bookstores, which used to be a weekly thing for me.  I went into a Barnes and Noble the other day while I was trying to kill some time before an appointment, and while it does make it easier to see a lot of titles in areas I might not seek out online, all I ended up doing was  take phone camera pics of the titles that interested me.  When I got in the car, I ordered two books on the iPhone Amazon app.  icon_twisted

A free second Kindle (I would get a smaller Kindle this time such that I might actually bring it places with me) would put a damper on my growing desire to get a multi-function reader, although I don't plan to start another e-book collection any time soon without serious incentive.

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 22, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »

Quote from: Rhinohelix on March 21, 2010, 10:54:10 PM

all I ended up doing was  take phone camera pics of the titles that interested me.  When I got in the car, I ordered two books on the iPhone Amazon app.  icon_twisted

My Droid has a camera/scanner app where you "scan" the barcode and it looks up the item.. Surely the Iphone has something similiar you could link to Amazon?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 22, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on March 22, 2010, 07:22:48 AM

Quote from: Rhinohelix on March 21, 2010, 10:54:10 PM

all I ended up doing was  take phone camera pics of the titles that interested me.  When I got in the car, I ordered two books on the iPhone Amazon app.  icon_twisted

My Droid has a camera/scanner app where you "scan" the barcode and it looks up the item.. Surely the Iphone has something similiar you could link to Amazon?

Yep, its called Redlaser and it links to Amazon smile  Great App!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »

a thinner kindle on it's way?

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2010, 10:25:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 29, 2010, 07:18:37 PM

Thumbs up on the sharper picture, and more responsive is always nice.  But does the Kindle really need to be thinner?  I'd rather they focus on other stuff.  IMO it's already small and light enough, I'd prefer more features over shrinking it down further -- in fact, I wish the screen was an inch or two bigger.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2010, 11:54:20 PM »

Thinner = easier to break = Profit!!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 30, 2010, 02:51:53 AM »

I have to say that now that I have an iPad I wish I had held off on buying a Kindle. Barnes & Noble just released their iPad app which means I can now read books from Amazon, B&N, or iBooks on the same device. I also have to say that the formatting on the iPad apps blows the Kindle out of the water. I vastly prefer reading using the Kindle app just for the superior layout.

I haven't had any eyestrain issues, but then again I work in IT so I'm accustomed to staring at LCD screens all day. So far the benefits of the iPad far outweigh the display difference. I think the days of dedicated hardware e-readers may be on the wane, particularly if they stay at their current price points.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 30, 2010, 04:03:20 AM »

The ipad would have to be a lot lighter and have a much less reflective screen for me to consider ditching my Kindle for it.  I also don't know that the books I read would benefit from a change to the layout.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 30, 2010, 06:07:52 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 30, 2010, 04:03:20 AM

The ipad would have to be a lot lighter and have a much less reflective screen for me to consider ditching my Kindle for it.  I also don't know that the books I read would benefit from a change to the layout.

Yeah, a shiny LCD screen I have to get fingerprints on to use isn't exactly what I'd call ideal for an ereader. At least not for me.

I'll keep my Kindle.

Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 30, 2010, 06:43:28 AM »

Ah!  Here's where I first saw about this site.  I got the Celtic Bold cover in Black for my Kindle 2 last month and I simply love it.  Thanks for making me aware of this company.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: