http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:11:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle: Kindle Paperwhite! Updated Fire! Kindle Fire HD!  (Read 45298 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »

Have to totally agree on the cover thing.  For $360 you should get a $20 cover.  Come on!  That is extremely lame.  Very disappointed in that. 

On a side note there are lots of free or .99 books available.  I downloaded 18 Robert E Howard Conan books for free last night.  One click and they are now mine.  Can also the entire works of Poe, Doyle, and many many others for $3-4 bucks, and the list goes on. 

I have found me browsing and reading book reviews more than reading.  It's just fun.

I never owned the first Kindle so I have no idea on the contrast ratio, but I do find the better lit the room you are in the better the e-ink and paper look.  Lighting is key.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 03, 2009, 12:38:25 PM

I downloaded 18 Robert E Howard Conan books for free last night.  One click and they are now mine. 

ooh, where? Amazon?  Link?  please?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »

I received my Kindle 2 yesterday. Opened up the slick package, plugged it in, marveled at the display and then was called into a meeting.  ARGH!

The device is a marvel, I can't get over how good the display looks. I mean for $360 I was worried that I was spending too much money on something that didn't offer a color display, doesn't have a touch screen - I mean a basic touch screen would make this thing so badass. But it would also kill the battery. Instead the e-ink is just like looking at a page in a book. The screen could have been a lot bigger.

The white is nice, not jarring. I wonder how it would look in black. The Next Page buttons on each side make it great for reading in either hand (John Stewart did a funny bit on this with Jeff Bezos the other night). The device is very slim but has a very solid feel to it. The metal back is odd, it is burnished but still feels a little slippery. Someone should design a plastic cover for the back that would make it easier to grip.

So over the weekend I went through the Amazon kindle library and added a few books to my kindle. As soon as I turned it on they downloaded. It's shockingly easy to buy a book, so much so that you have to be very careful since all books are one click-insta-buy. I can't believe this thing doesn't come with some sort of cover! For $360 they need to include something.

Oh, for the sci-fi lovers, they have an Iain Banks book for $1 this month called Use of Weapons.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 03, 2009, 04:01:39 PM

Someone should design a plastic cover for the back that would make it easier to grip.
I can't believe this thing doesn't come with some sort of cover! For $360 they need to include something.

Amazon wil be happy to sell you a cover (or this one or this one).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2009, 03:22:27 PM

Quote from: mikeg on March 03, 2009, 12:38:25 PM

I downloaded 18 Robert E Howard Conan books for free last night.  One click and they are now mine. 

ooh, where? Amazon?  Link?  please?

Just go to the Kindle store on Amazon and search for Robert E Howard.  That's how I found it.   And I realized I may have said Conan.  I think they are his Savage Stories collection.  Supposedly some of his best work.  How many of them are Conan, I am not sure.  Maybe none.  I was misleading on that one, I think, but they do have entire Conan collections for Kindle for 6-8 bucks.  Still very good.  There are over 4700 free public domain books for the Kindle that were just added in the last month.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:41:25 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 03, 2009, 04:14:28 PM

Someone should design a plastic cover for the back that would make it easier to grip.
I can't believe this thing doesn't come with some sort of cover! For $360 they need to include something.

They already got me for $30. The minute I opened the box I placed an order for the overpriced leather case.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 03, 2009, 02:53:58 AM

How's the contrast ratio for text compare on the two Kindles?

I haven't noticed any significant difference visually.  Honestly, both are like a real book - in dim light they are hard to read.  In normal light, no problem.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »

someone needs to make a Necronomicon cover for the Kindle.

thanks for the heads up mikeg!  I just wasn't sure if you found them on Amazon or elsewhere.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2009, 02:07:14 AM »

Sorry for being late to the party here... When Kindle first came out I only researched it to the point where I read the price and then said to myself "$400?! No way in hell".

Fast forward a bit and my wife got me one for X-mas. It's a Kindle "classic". I was very dubious and warned her I may well return it. I love it. While I certainly appreciate the various reasons for actually wanting a physical book (if say any more Harry Potter books were coming out, I would definitely prefer the "analog" versions, which would be required anyway since Rowling's works aren't on the Kindle) reading on the Kindle is in pretty much every way superior to a real book. It's lighter, much easier to handle with one hand (and yes I am including small paperbacks when I say this) and I honestly think the eye strain is LESS with a Kindle than with an actual book. I really need to try the free eReader app for the iPod Touch, but I can already tell you that I know a backlit screen is going to wear out my eyes and the Kindle just doesn't. As for the page flipping delay - it was a real annoyance for the first week or two. Since then I don't really notice it any more. I have either gotten used to it, or I am simply unconsciously clicking the next page while still reading the last line. I love the fact that the font size is adjustable. I love the fact that when you buy a book you have it on your Kindle in a few scant seconds. I also love the fact that you can get free samples (first chapter or two) of any Kindle book. For those of you lamenting over pdf's you can actually get them converted for free by Amazon as long as you have them emailed to you instead of the kindle. Then you can simply transfer them over yourself. (I think this is correct, I honestly haven't tried it.) The web browser is clunky and primitive, but - having a portable device that can surf the net for free is still nice even if it is in a rudimentary fashion.

And having said all that, I agree that it's too expensive. If you buy a lot of books, then the Kindle's price is somewhat easier to swallow, since the books are definitely cheaper than a normal book store (or Amazon). Now, if you buy from used book stores - then not so much. The bottom line is if you can justify the price to yourself, it's an easy device to love - even if you'll sometimes wonder why you paid laptop prices for a book reader.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2009, 02:17:41 AM »

I have what might be a stupid question that may have been answered at some point in here but here goes:

Does it provide any sort of backlighting to read at night?

I mostly read in bed and the ability to leave lights off would be a huge plus.

Thanks.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2009, 02:59:58 AM »

Quote from: Devil on March 04, 2009, 02:17:41 AM

I have what might be a stupid question that may have been answered at some point in here but here goes:

Does it provide any sort of backlighting to read at night?

I mostly read in bed and the ability to leave lights off would be a huge plus.

Thanks.

Nope.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2009, 03:13:44 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 03, 2009, 07:21:06 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 03, 2009, 04:14:28 PM

They already got me for $30. The minute I opened the box I placed an order for the overpriced leather case.

The $30 leather case is quite nice. The hinge system works great, and the quality is quite nice. That said, I will still shell out money for an M-Edge case in the near future just because I like the design better.

You can't backlight eInk. You can side light it, which the Sony has, but supposedly it doesn't work that well. A regular old book light works fine.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2009, 03:39:15 AM »

Thanks guys - Very interested, but still OUT!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2009, 03:44:29 AM »

Quote from: Devil on March 04, 2009, 03:39:15 AM

Thanks guys - Very interested, but still OUT!

yeah, Lockdown said you wouldn't be able to handle it.  it's OK, we understand.

Tongue

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »

You can get Kindle books directly onto your iPhone now-Amazon has released a Kindle for iPhone app (couldn't they have just called it iKindle?)  Obviously this won't be for everyone as there are numerous complaints about reading on an iPhone.  But I expect that iPhone books sales will soar past Kindle book sales.  Someone post the information later when it comes out.  Prove me wrong.  I just want to see the stats smile
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2009, 10:14:41 AM »

Wow, just saw the app and downloaded it.  The whispersync feature (syncs locations of where you left off in a book between the iPhone and the Kindle) is pretty dang cool.  Hmm, sounds like an early birthday gift to me smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »

Lockdown can't read.

iPhone Kindle will do for now.

icon_biggrin

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 04, 2009, 09:38:37 AM

You can get Kindle books directly onto your iPhone now-Amazon has released a Kindle for iPhone app (couldn't they have just called it iKindle?)  Obviously this won't be for everyone as there are numerous complaints about reading on an iPhone.  But I expect that iPhone books sales will soar past Kindle book sales.  Someone post the information later when it comes out.  Prove me wrong.  I just want to see the stats smile

This is potentially great news for Kindle owners as book selection is one of the few annoyances of the Kindle and increasing the market for ebooks is the only way to pressure publishers to get on the ball.  I wonder, though, how many iPhone users will want to buy books for it.  I can see free books, but if you buy a book for the iPhone you're pretty much committing to read the whole thing on it -- do people prefer reading novels on the iPhone to physical books?  The beauty of the Kindle is that most owners would definitely rather read a novel on a Kindle versus the physical version. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:00:59 PM by iloveplywood » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2009, 06:15:46 PM »

Some of us don't have issues with reading off of backlit screens for long periods of time.  On the other board, I compared it to playing a PSP or DS for a long period of time.  The iPhone is more portable than the Kindle.  If there were a book that I wanted to read but didn't feel like owning in hardcover and a $10 version were available before the paperback was due, I would certainly consider it.  I would imagine that commuting passengers that already have an iPhone will like the option.  It won't ever be a replacement for books like the Kindle is supposed to be, but it will definitely take another step in mainstreaming the ebook market. 

I don't think it will sell iPhones on the strength of this development by itself, as the long term cost of ownership is higher for the iPhone ($200 device, $30/month data), where the break even point is 5 months and 10 days.  But multiple functionality is where everything is going.  I don't think the Kindle is a one-trick pony, but the possibilities with the Kindle pale in comparison to the iPhone's feature list.  They mention that you can't use the iPhone Kindle app to purchase books, but that's not a big deal, as I can access Amazon from the Safari browser and purchase them from there. 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2009, 06:55:06 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 04, 2009, 09:38:37 AM

I would bet that Kindle users buy more books per unit though. Its like reading a real book on the Kindle. Its like reading on a really small computer monitor running on a 2 hour battery on the iPhone. I hate reading for long periods on my computer monitor, let alone a tiny version of it.

If you can read an 800 page book on your iPhone in a week, more power to you. I don't want to do that though, and wouldn't even dream of it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:23:18 PM by Lee » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:27 PM »

Holy crap, here it is:

http://appshopper.com/books/kindle-for-iphone

I guess that answered my question/comment from earlier in this thread...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but here's a couple sites I use for free books :

http://www.mobileread.com/
http://www.feedbooks.com/

They share a similar library of the public domain books, but there's some good stuff there.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on March 04, 2009, 09:59:16 PM

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but here's a couple sites I use for free books :

http://www.mobileread.com/
http://www.feedbooks.com/

They share a similar library of the public domain books, but there's some good stuff there.

Thanks for the info Nth Power.  Going to have to bookmark these smile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2009, 11:26:54 PM »

I just downloaded 20 free books at feedbook.com.   Great site.   Got some Lovecraft, Burroughs, Arthur Conan Doyle, Conan stories, Agathe Christie (only had two..), and a few sci fi.  All free and all in Kindle format.  Now just have to email them to my Kindle address.  Awesome.  Thanks NthPower.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 04, 2009, 07:21:27 PM

Holy crap, here it is:

http://appshopper.com/books/kindle-for-iphone

I guess that answered my question/comment from earlier in this thread...

I was interested until I saw the pic of the book pages and decided it looked to small.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2009, 02:43:15 AM »

And did you not see that you can "Adjust the text size"??

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2009, 03:12:46 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 05, 2009, 02:43:15 AM

Yes, this way you can get a word on screen per page. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Belhazamar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2009, 05:29:06 AM »

I think I may buy one of these, but man is that price crazy.  Sure I can understand the justifications (free wireless and all) but my wife just can't see it.  I told her I would sell my Wii, to which she agreed.  Now I am wondering if I have gone gadget gaga instead of really finding myself in need of an e-reader (don't travel, have a 5 min commute, have easy access to a library (work in a school), and have an iPhone... But I love to read, honest).

Anyway, you all keep talking about how wonderful the new Kindle is... (and buy my Wii icon_biggrin)

P.S. I bought that Conan deal for a whole 0.80 cents -- what a bargain -- 18 Conan stories in publication order.  I'll take more of that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:04:42 AM by Belhazamar » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2009, 05:58:37 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 05, 2009, 02:43:15 AM

yeah, so you can go from not enough on the page to read to unreadable  icon_wink  I grabbed it just to be sure and it crashed twice while I was trying to check out a free Sherlock Holmes collection, so I'm not sold on it.

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »

Quote from: Belhazamar on March 05, 2009, 05:29:06 AM

I think I may buy one of these, but man is that price crazy.  Sure I can understand the justifications (free wireless and all) but my wife just can't see it.  I told her I would sell my Wii, to which she agreed.  Now I am wondering if I have gone gadget gaga instead of really finding myself in need of an e-reader (don't travel, have a 5 min commute, have easy access to a library (work in a school), and have an iPhone... But I love to read, honest).

I have the exact same demographics as you and I just didn't care.  Got one.  I intend to pay for mine by cutting game purchases back this year.  I can easlily pay for mine if I only buy the 2-3 uber titles I HAVE to have this year.  The rest I will just skip or rent.  One thing though, I don't have the iphone.  While I think they super neat and all, I hate phones altogether after having worked in a call center for 5 years taking customer complaints.  Can't stand to be anywhere near phones anymore, so the thought of using a phone for my number one obsession-no way in hell.   But I think that app could be cool for those who dig them.  Plus, I stare at lit monitors all day in my work.  Don't want to do that on my time off that much. 

Good luck and happy reading whichever way you go.   I bet in the next 3-5 years there will reading devices that make the Kindle look like a Commodore64.  But you gotta read til then, so....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »

The Kindle already looks like the Commodore 64 in my opinion.  But again, that's just my opinion smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 05, 2009, 01:15:17 PM

The Kindle already looks like the Commodore 64 in my opinion.  But again, that's just my opinion smile

Perhaps true.  But I had many, many great hours on my Commodore 64 so that isn't a bad thing at all!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 05, 2009, 02:33:20 PM

Quote from: Canuck on March 05, 2009, 01:15:17 PM

Perhaps true.  But I had many, many great hours on my Commodore 64 so that isn't a bad thing at all!

I miss my Commodore 64  crybaby

* CeeKay pours a 64 ounce slushie onto the street in rememberance

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

One thing for those complaining about the price - that free wireless comes to a minimum of $15 a month via any sort of Smartphone (the Blackberries, the Windows Mobile devices, etc) on Sprint. So if you keep it for a long time, that can rack up quite a bit of savings.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »

Quote from: Belhazamar on March 05, 2009, 05:29:06 AM

Anyway, you all keep talking about how wonderful the new Kindle is... (and buy my Wii icon_biggrin)

P.S. I bought that Conan deal for a whole 0.80 cents -- what a bargain -- 18 Conan stories in publication order.  I'll take more of that.

The price is a legitimate concern, but if you read a lot I have a feeling you won't regret the purchase.  However, you might always be embarrassed to tell people how much it costs.  I am in the same boat as you -- I don't really need it for traveling or anything like that, but so far it has been one of my best purchases in a long time. I've only had it for a week, though, so I'm probably not the best person to be giving purchasing advice on the Kindle yet.  Still, if you browse kindle forums it really does seem that most people who have the device enjoy it a lot.  

Frankly, it's kind of hard to explain why I enjoy the Kindle so much, but I had that same experience when I first got a DVR.  People would always question me as to why it was so much better than a VCR and it was difficult to convince the skeptics (who all have DVRs now).  Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to get the Kindle as I'm don't want to be responsible for someone spending $365, but the Kindle really isn't a mobile reading device -- it is more of a book replacement that happens to travel a little better than physical books.  

I believe there is a 30 return policy on the Kindle.  If so that might be the best way to see -- you'll know if you want to keep it within a week I'm sure.  Plus, if you have the iphone I believe you'd be able to read any purchase for the Kindle on that as well, so you wouldn't even be wasting the money you spend on ebooks.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »

I have the M-case cover for my first gen Kindle and it works great.  The wider shelf on the left side makes a great thumb rest when holding the device in my left hand (which is my preferred way).  I actually had to use the Amazon customer service for the Kindle, I turned it on one day and the upper right of the screen was smeared, like an etchasketch that had had the screen pressed real hard  icon_evil.  I don't know why it happened but Amazon was quick to ship me a (brand new) replacement using next day shipping and just had me swap out the damaged unit with the new one.  Return shipping was also free and the CS reps were very helpful and quick to answer the phone (located in the US as well), no hassle at all which was much appreciated since I love to read with my Kindle so much.  The CS reps also set up the new Kindle to download my books that I had already bought so I still have all of those.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »

I briefly tried the Kindle app on my iPod Touch today. I was impressed as the text was clear and easy to read at the default size. I was flipping pages about 2-3 times as quickly as on the Kindle (and I use a larger than default text size on the Kindle), but on the bright side the page turns are quicker on the Touch. I still think my eyes would get strained more quickly looking at a small backlit screen, but it is certainly a viable option and I would definitely use it if I was somewhere with my iPod (with WiFi) and wanted to read and didn't have the Kindle. An interesting move by Amazon to put this out. This will definitely pump up their eBook sales, but it also undercuts their own hardware, and might annoy current Kindle owners (not that I am bothered at all). It definitely makes it harder to justify the $360 price tag for a Kindle if you don't already have one.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »

I would agree on the Ipod app.  If you already own an Ipod and read in spurts rather than in long extended curl-up-with-book sessions, you could definitely get by with that.  I don't have an Ipod, and won't be getting one, or I would have tried it out before I purchased a Kindle. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 07, 2009, 05:43:33 PM

I would agree on the Ipod app.  If you already own an Ipod and read in spurts rather than in long extended curl-up-with-book sessions, you could definitely get by with that.  I don't have an Ipod, and won't be getting one, or I would have tried it out before I purchased a Kindle. 

I think if you only read in spurts, you're probably not a potential Kindle buyer anyway.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 07, 2009, 07:30:21 PM

Quote from: mikeg on March 07, 2009, 05:43:33 PM

I think if you only read in spurts, you're probably not a potential Kindle buyer anyway.

I would agree. 

On a side note, for those that have a Kindle 2, what cover/case did you or are you considering getting to protect it?  I am struggling between the various types available and what would be the best.     

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: