http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:19:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle: Kindle Paperwhite! Updated Fire! Kindle Fire HD!  (Read 42261 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:45:34 AM »

so, has anyone picked up one of the new Kindles yet?  It looks like it's starting to be back in stock on a regular basis and I was thinking about grabbing one.  Anyone here have any actual impressions on it?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:20:28 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 05:06:08 AM »

Someone at OO bought one and posted impressions there.  IIRC, he loves it.

I'm planning to get one myself once I found a spare $400, lol.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »

I at first thought the Kindle was a silly, overpriced gimmick. However, I've been playing around with a simple Sony PRS-500 eReader at work and now I'm absolutely hooked to it. I can't imagine how hooked I'd be if my e-reading device had wireless purchasing, etc. built right in!

I still think $400 is awfully steep for this sort of thing, but I no longer think the *idea* is silly. I'm sure I'd absolutely love one if I could afford it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »

I'll get one once it's in the mid $200's or so.

Well, I'll get the Amazon version anyway.  Not the Amaozon one.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »

I'm in also - when there's some major price drop. Not that the Kindle's price is outrageous is just that I'm ok with what I do now: free dead-tree library books,  with unabridged book cassettes and CDs also from the library and the occasional download e-book or downloaded audio.

I think it's a cool idea though and I'd welcome firsthand impressions. Just getting one though would for me, given my reading habits, result in hundreds of dollars on downloading books that I'm now getting for free. Normally that would mean an automatic reject but it's a sign of my interest that I haven't ruled it out completely.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:29:21 PM »

I noticed they were back in stock too, and was tempted yesterday. I went over many, many of the amazon customer reviews, and finally decided to wait for Kindle 2.0. I really want one, but the price is only justified by the fact that it's cutting edge technology.

Some of the reviews said page changes make the screen go black and redraw for a full 2 seconds. Granted most people who've had their Kindles for a while say they love it, and I bet I would too, but I think I'll be ok to wait a while.

If it were $199 it would be a no-brainer. As it is, I could get a PS3 with Blu-ray for the same price.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 21, 2008, 01:29:21 PM

Some of the reviews said page changes make the screen go black and redraw for a full 2 seconds. Granted most people who've had their Kindles for a while say they love it, and I bet I would too, but I think I'll be ok to wait a while.

You can see the screen refresh just after the minute mark in this video:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=GAf4vxGEOAo

I was thinking about grabbing a Sony e-Reader about a year ago but the refresh stuff is just a deal breaker for me.  I'd probably get used to it but it just looks too jarring to me. 
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »

Watching that video the screen refresh doesn't look any worse than the Sony reader. I can vouch that you get used to it. In reality, you're probably not spending any more time watching a refresh than you would flipping a page.

The thing that made me get over the refreshes really quickly is the quality of the screen/digital ink (I assume the Kindle's is very similar). It is extremely easy on the eyes, and you can read it all day long without eyestrain. I found myself compensating for the "lag" by hitting the page flip while reading the last sentence.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 21, 2008, 02:10:52 PM

Watching that video the screen refresh doesn't look any worse than the Sony reader. I can vouch that you get used to it. In reality, you're probably not spending any more time watching a refresh than you would flipping a page.

It's not a time issue for me- it's the way it announces "new page".  When I"m reading a book I don't notice the individual act of turning pages.  Again, maybe I would get used to it, but I'm not paying a couple hundred dollars to find out. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 21, 2008, 12:34:33 PM

Well, I'll get the Amazon version anyway.  Not the Amaozon one.

But everything is better with a little Mao in it!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 21, 2008, 02:15:45 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on April 21, 2008, 02:10:52 PM

It's not a time issue for me- it's the way it announces "new page".  When I"m reading a book I don't notice the individual act of turning pages.  Again, maybe I would get used to it, but I'm not paying a couple hundred dollars to find out. 

watching that video it's a bit bigger than I originally thought it was going to be-  I'll have to check it out again when I get home and have sound, thanks for the link BTW.  as for the page change, I almost missed it the first time because I blinked, and it looks like something I can live with.

My main reason for wanting one is that I want to read more, but I don't have much room for alot of books right now, taking them into the nearest Half-Price books is a pain because it's out of the way (plus I'd get next to nothing in re-sale) and it takes forever to get the stuff I want from the libary.  I also figure it'll be something nice to spend my tax rebate on to help stimulate the economy  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »

400 bucks?? Forget it! For that kind of money I'd get an Ipaq 210 or a Eee PC.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 02:45:12 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 21, 2008, 02:43:06 PM

You can't compare eInk to reading on a tiny backlit Pocket PC. It's much more like reading a printed page.

I think the free wireless has a lot to do with the price.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »

I have an Iliad, it's okay, but it's been a little wonky lately (skipping pages etc).  The boot up time is also a bit annoying, do the other ebooks sleep better?  I  basically have to power this thing up and down (<1 minute but still an interuption)..despite using eInk the batteries will only last about 8 hours when it is "on" which is crap IMO.  It's also not nearly as nice to browse a website instead of a bookstore IMO.  The books should be cheaper and they're not really much cheaper in general.  It is nice to buy a new book at 9:30pm from home in about 5 minutes though. 

eInk will probably just keep getting better and cheaper though.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 21, 2008, 04:17:32 PM

I have an Iliad, it's okay, but it's been a little wonky lately (skipping pages etc).  The boot up time is also a bit annoying, do the other ebooks sleep better?  I  basically have to power this thing up and down (<1 minute but still an interuption)..despite using eInk the batteries will only last about 8 hours when it is "on" which is crap IMO.  It's also not nearly as nice to browse a website instead of a bookstore IMO.  The books should be cheaper and they're not really much cheaper in general.  It is nice to buy a new book at 9:30pm from home in about 5 minutes though. 

eInk will probably just keep getting better and cheaper though.
But at least you bought it at a rock-bottom price.  icon_lol
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »

I bought one for my Mom and she seems to like it.  I'd get one myself but am in the $400 price is too high club as well.  I was willing to spend the money to get Mom something she wanted but until I get a chance to see one in action in person my reading will be done in a book.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »

I love the idea and I'm not even a big reader (I prob read 1 or 2 books a year).  As a traveler, this just seems like a no brainer.

However, as everyone's mentioned, the value per dollar and a few of the technical niggles makes me want to wait for a Gen 2 device.  It's not worth $400 to me right now.

gellar
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 21, 2008, 02:45:12 PM

You can't compare eInk to reading on a tiny backlit Pocket PC. It's much more like reading a printed page.

I guess my point is that it basically does one thing and one thing only.  Plus it looks like a cheap piece of garbage.  I would maybe pay $50  for something like that-maybe.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »

Someone at work has one.  I only played around with it briefly, but the screen is amazing.  It really is like a digital piece of paper.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 21, 2008, 10:20:01 PM

Quote from: Lee on April 21, 2008, 02:45:12 PM

I guess my point is that it basically does one thing and one thing only.  Plus it looks like a cheap piece of garbage.  I would maybe pay $50  for something like that-maybe.

I bet if it was from Sony you'd be married to one by now  Tongue   They used to have a video of it being dropped on the site and it looked like it held up pretty well, but it seems they removed the video for some reason.

Because I can,
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 21, 2008, 12:31:24 PM

I at first thought the Kindle was a silly, overpriced gimmick. However, I've been playing around with a simple Sony PRS-500 eReader at work and now I'm absolutely hooked to it.

Same here.  I had little interest in this generation of e-readers, but somebody at work gave me a Sony and I'm really liking it.  It's not quite a paperback-killer, but I was surprised by how quickly it grew on me. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »

I'll continue to turn my pages for another few years I think smile
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »

I'd actually like one so I can get my NYTimes subscription on it.  It's a pain to read a paper on a crowded bus in the morning, but I could totally do it with a Kindle.  Plus, I could just flip back to whatever book I'm reading when I'm done with the paper.  Would also be nice not to have to lug around a hardcover.

When these things get a redesign and the price drops to $200, I'm in.

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »

The price is still too high, both for the Kindle itself and for the titles.
Call me old-fashioned, but if I spend $20 on a book, I kinda want to feel it in my hands, leave it on a shelf, lend it to my friends etc.

Now if the price the book dropped to $5-$10 for a new release and $2-3 for older stuff, or if there is some kind of rental service, that would get my attention.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on April 22, 2008, 03:41:59 PM

Call me old-fashioned, but if I spend $20 on a book, I kinda want to feel it in my hands, leave it on a shelf, lend it to my friends etc.

Now if the price the book dropped to $5-$10 for a new release and $2-3 for older stuff, or if there is some kind of rental service, that would get my attention.

You are in luck then. The books vary from $10 for new releases and down to as low $.99 for some older titles. You can also get a lot of books for free online and can use them on the Kindle (PDFs require a free converion).
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 22, 2008, 05:22:21 PM

You are in luck then. The books vary from $10 for new releases and down to as low $.99 for some older titles. You can also get a lot of books for free online and can use them on the Kindle (PDFs require a free converion).

I was not aware of that. Hmmm, interesting. Too bad it's not up here in Canada yet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 12:13:46 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on April 22, 2008, 05:56:28 PM

Quote from: Lee on April 22, 2008, 05:22:21 PM

I was not aware of that. Hmmm, interesting. Too bad it's not up here in Canada yet.

it's not their fault you're Canadian  Tongue

Because I can,
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 07:23:33 PM »

Arise!

It's $359 now and apparently in stock. I'm close to pulling the trigger as I just sold a bass last week for $275, got $13 for playing a show, and sold a game here on GT for $20 (- paypal and shipping, it's closer to $13). So, I have a whopping $300 or so in cash-money. I'm headed to CA in a few days so I could get it shipped there for $0 tax (live in WA) and kerblam! I'd have a Kindle.

We're supposed to get a Stimulus check this week so maybe I can sweet talk Mrs. Lildrgn to let me have about $50-100 of that to play with...

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »

Audiobooks FTW, in my case.  I rarely travel, and the bulk of my time is spent in front of a computer writing code, so I can't look elsewhere to read.  If circumstances were different, I'd probably be all over this, though.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »

I don't read/listen to books at work, but I do in bed, while, ahem, "indisposed", and while the kids are resting. I've spent bucks on books for the past 2 years or so (ie: finish a book, buy a new one). I have boxes of books in the basement closet. I think it would be nifty to have them in the device, as well as be able to d/l books for $2-10.

The initial buy in is frightening, though.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 09:26:34 PM »

I really want one of these, but the price drops they've seen recently make me think they're about to announce the next version.  While I like the tech of the screen and buying books through it, I don't like the design at all.  I'm hoping that the next version fixes the design and hopefully knocks the price down a bit.  If that's the case, I'm sure both me and my GF will have one almost immediately.  Personally, I would love to not have to carry a hardcover book on the mass transit system.  Currently reading book 5 of The Dark Tower in hardcover.  That be heavy and hard to read with one hand.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

Chaz? what are you doing here?

Back to work getting Rush to let you use master tracks for Moving Pictures!

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 09:33:52 PM »

How do you know we haven't already done that and I just can't tell you about it?   paranoid

Shh...I has secrets.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 24, 2008, 09:33:52 PM

How do you know we haven't already done that and I just can't tell you about it?   paranoid

Shh...I has secrets.
eek eek eek eek eek

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »

Of course, I could just be screwing with you for my own amusement.   icon_lol

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 10:14:58 PM »

YOU WOULDN'T DARE finger mad saywhat crybaby retard icon_mad eek icon_twisted icon_evil

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 24, 2008, 09:56:00 PM

Of course, I could just be screwing with you for my own amusement.   icon_lol

I approve of this post.

Because I can,
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 12:01:39 AM »

lildrgn - if you get one, I must see it smile  I've been wanting to get one for about 3 months now, and with the price drop to $360, its almost right.   I am tired of having too many books laying around, and the wireless service seems awesome!
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 12:13:59 AM »

Zero: ebay has guys selling for $329 w/free shipping. I'm tempted. Though the wife did one of these when I told her about what I was trying to do:  Roll Eyes

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on June 25, 2008, 12:13:59 AM

Zero: ebay has guys selling for $329 w/free shipping. I'm tempted. Though the wife did one of these when I told her about what I was trying to do:  Roll Eyes

HAHAHA, my wife did the same thing...except she also added "More gadgets?!?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: