http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:01:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am in a Book Reading Funk (Need Help!)  (Read 1305 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 12:23:25 AM »

Quote from: theohall on March 20, 2012, 10:49:31 PM

I will definitely second Friday by Heinlein.  That's a fun read.  As in it has a sci-fi element, but isn't all sci-fi serious.  It's more of a comedy.

is that the one with Iced Tea in it?  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 21, 2012, 12:23:25 AM

Quote from: theohall on March 20, 2012, 10:49:31 PM

I will definitely second Friday by Heinlein.  That's a fun read.  As in it has a sci-fi element, but isn't all sci-fi serious.  It's more of a comedy.

is that the one with Iced Tea in it?  icon_wink

No, that would be Iced Cube.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 12:58:15 AM »

Grue, have you read Pillars of the Earth?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 01:24:20 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2012, 12:58:15 AM

I have not, but glancing at the Wiki page for it, it doesn't seem to be up my alley.  What's good about it?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 05:00:31 PM

I've not read any of the Hunger Games books or Game of Thrones books, despite everyone being all hyped about both series, but then I read the comments and am turned off.

WAT? Read it!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 01:34:44 AM »

Quote from: kathode on March 21, 2012, 01:29:54 AM

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 05:00:31 PM

I've not read any of the Hunger Games books or Game of Thrones books, despite everyone being all hyped about both series, but then I read the comments and am turned off.

WAT? Read it!

I keep reading about all the incest and rape and not sure I want to read about that stuff.  Also, not sure if I would be into all the political stuff.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 21, 2012, 01:24:20 AM

I have not, but glancing at the Wiki page for it, it doesn't seem to be up my alley.  What's good about it?

It's straight historical fiction, no sci-fi or fantasy, so it doesn't fit into what you said you were looking for.  That said, I think it's a great match for your interests based on the other authors & books you listed.

It's kind of odd, but the things that make the book great are things that sound really boring when you write them out.  It's neat to learn a lot about Roman & Gothic architecture as the story unfolds; it's neat to see a frank and brutal portrayal of harsh peasant and crafter life in the 12th century; and it's neat how the book spans multiple generations while still getting you to care about the main characters despite the spotlight changing around.

It's long, but it can easily become a page turner.  Might be a nice change of pace for you to help you break out of your rut.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 02:52:21 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2012, 02:47:41 AM

It's straight historical fiction, no sci-fi or fantasy, so it doesn't fit into what you said you were looking for.  That said, I think it's a great match for your interests based on the other authors & books you listed.

It's kind of odd, but the things that make the book great are things that sound really boring when you write them out.  It's neat to learn a lot about Roman & Gothic architecture as the story unfolds; it's neat to see a frank and brutal portrayal of harsh peasant and crafter life in the 12th century; and it's neat how the book spans multiple generations while still getting you to care about the main characters despite the spotlight changing around.

It's long, but it can easily become a page turner.  Might be a nice change of pace for you to help you break out of your rut.
I've always meant to grab a copy of that; it was a great miniseries on Starz.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »

decided to give The Hunger Games another shot, and luckily it was still part of the Kindle Lending Library so I can still read it for free.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

I second everything WP said.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »

It did sound really boring when I read it, but I guess the Baroque cycle is kind of the same deal.  I really need to get that third book read one of these days.  Anyway, thanks for the description...I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »

Pillars is a great book especially for anyone who's a fan of historical fiction.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »

I plowed through Pillars in about a week. I agree that it sounds boring but the book was fantastic. I don't read a lot of historical fiction but this book was a true stand out. I also enjoyed the sequel quite a bit.

One of my all time favorite books is The Children's War. A massive alternate history book set in present day Nazi Germany. It's one of those books I have read several times and felt pretty much every emotion in the book while reading it. The author is J. N. Stroyar.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »

Pillars of the Earth is one of my favourite books of all time. Read it. The sequel is pretty good too.

If you like time travel Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis are great. Beware it is one story broken into two books and the first book doesn't really have a self-contained conclusion. I found the last quarter of book 1 and the first quarter of book 2 dragged a bit, but the payoff at the end was great.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 22, 2012, 11:04:54 PM

If you like time travel Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis are great. Beware it is one story broken into two books and the first book doesn't really have a self-contained conclusion. I found the last quarter of book 1 and the first quarter of book 2 dragged a bit, but the payoff at the end was great.

Thanks.  I was asking about these two and was hoping someone in here had read them.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

Connie Willis's has another time travel book that I can also highly recommend.  The name escapes me, but it takes place during the Plague.

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »

Doomsday Book is the name.

Wake up.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: