http://gamingtrend.com
December 27, 2014, 03:49:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am in a Book Reading Funk (Need Help!)  (Read 1307 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »

So, for the last few days, I have sat on my Kindle Fire (and last night my shiny new iPad) staring at the book stores and not being able to pull the trigger on any book to read.  The last book I read was Ready Player One, which was awesome and I started the Darth Plagueis book and just stalled in chapter 17 with no interest in continuing, despite being really excited about the prospect of the book.  I go into the store with the thoughts of pulling the trigger on a book, but then I start to read the reader comments about the books and decide the book is horrible.  I've not read any of the Hunger Games books or Game of Thrones books, despite everyone being all hyped about both series, but then I read the comments and am turned off.  I would love to read some good, new science fiction, but it doesn't seem like anyone writes science fiction books anymore based on what I can tell from the new releases.  Kind of done with the fantasy genre these days (and this makes my search for sci-fi harder, because they tend to lump them both together).

I don't want to go back and read old stuff like Isamov or Heinlein...I want some new stuff.  I think I've probably set myself up for failure.  The good news, I suppose, is that April will see a new Stephen King book come out and so that one will be a no-brainer, but I need to get back into reading.  I tear through King's books when they come out and he is far and away my favorite author.  Just to give some other authors that I have enjoyed in the past:

Neil Gaiman
Michael Chrichton
J.R.R. Tolkien
Douglas Adams
Terry Pratchett
Neil Stephenson (I haven't read the 3rd book in the Baroque Cycle, but I am a one-book-at-a-time reader and the idea of being stuck in a 1,000 page slow reader makes me back away, even though I like the story he's laid out)
Patrick Rothfuss (yes, it is recent Fantasy, but man do I love this guy's writing and the world he's laid out)
I enjoyed a lot of Salvatore in the past, but this is the kind of Fantasy I am hoping to avoid, probably
Christopher Moore
Loved the Harry Potter books
Really love books about dystopian societies, which means I should probably just man up and read Hunger Games
Really love books about time travel, which is why King's recent JFK book was a perfect storm

Some notable series I have not read that might be up my alley:
Game of Thrones books
Wheel of Time books

This post is a jumbled mess, but hopefully some brave soul can parse it and maybe give me some suggestions, even if it is just to go ahead and read Hunger Games.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 05:00:31 PM

Loved the Harry Potter books
Really love books about dystopian societies, which means I should probably just man up and read Hunger Games

This post is a jumbled mess, but hopefully some brave soul can parse it and maybe give me some suggestions, even if it is just to go ahead and read Hunger Games.

Just go ahead and read Hunger Games.   icon_biggrin

I was in a funk for a bit, but The Hunger Games helped to snap me out of it, especially since they read very quickly and despite their flaws the books cover a pretty visceral dystopian storyline. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »

Go ahead and read The Hunger Games. Don't worry about the two that come after, just read the first for now. It's a good story and a quick read.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 19, 2012, 05:07:49 PM

Go ahead and read The Hunger Games. Don't worry about the two that come after, just read the first for now. It's a good story and a quick read.

Are the other two books bad?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »

I started the Darth Plagueis book and just stalled in chapter 17 with no interest in continuing, despite being really excited about the prospect of the book. 

just started reading this myself, and so far it seems dull.  not sure what I expected, but James Lucerno's Dark Lord was a decent read so I figured it would be a safe bet.

Have you checked out Harry Turtledove?  his Worldwar series was fun alternate history/sci fi.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 19, 2012, 05:20:09 PM

Have you checked out Harry Turtledove?  his Worldwar series was fun alternate history/sci fi.

I read How Few Remain and did enjoy that, but that was the Civil War one.  I never got around to reading anything else by him.  Looking at Worldwar, the description sounds like the Resistance games on PS3, though Worldwar obviously came out before.  Might be willing to give it a try, though, as it is probably up my alley.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 05:15:54 PM

The first is the best in the series, Catching Fire is good and almost on par with The Hunger Games, but Mockingjay left me a bit disappointed.  It is the weakest entry in the series, and while not a "bad" story, per se, it just left me underwhelmed after what took place in the first two.  I'd say it's still worth reading all three, but the first two, at least for me, were better than the last entry.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »

Hunger Games is a really good fit for what you seem to be looking for.  I started the first book per my wife's recommendation and I'm now almost done plowing through the whole trilogy.

For time travel, others may have better recommendations but I thought Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus was a fun romp.  Time travellers go back to try and alter the course of European contact with the Americas in order to fix the problems that have arisen in the distant future.  

And for a general sci-fi recommendation, I'll point you toward The Practice Effect by David Brin.  It gets a little nutty at the end, but it's still a fun read and a neat concept.  A guy gets stuck in another world where the laws of physics are different: everything gets better the more it is used for a specific task, even inanimate objects.  Nobody there really invent any technology because lo-tech things can get super efficient.  Wipe your mouth on your sleeve enough and it gets sponge-like and better absorbent.  Prisoners are forced to attempt breaking down the wall keeping them in so that the wall can get better at being a wall.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »

Alright, Hunger Games is now purchased.  I think I will check out that Practice Effect book next, though, because that does sound neat.  Keep recommendations coming, though, as I will need more to read in the future.

Oh, has anyone read Blackout or All Clear by Connie Willis?  That was one that I saw that seemed interesting since it involves time travel, but I got dissuaded by the reviews on Amazon.

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »

This should meet your science fiction and time travel needs -

http://www.amazon.com/Safely-Science-Fictional-Universe-ebook/dp/B003V1WXIW/ref=kinw_dp_ke?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

I really enjoyed it.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:00:24 PM »

Anathem by Neal Stephenson.  Just finished my second readthrough of this monster and still love it to death. If you are a fan of Stephenson's style, then you should really enjoy this. Any negative comment I ever read about it was either people who didn't like his style, or just couldn't understand the concepts.  If you enjoyed his other works, this one is a safe bet.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:38:52 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on March 19, 2012, 07:00:24 PM

Anathem by Neal Stephenson.  Just finished my second readthrough of this monster and still love it to death. If you are a fan of Stephenson's style, then you should really enjoy this. Any negative comment I ever read about it was either people who didn't like his style, or just couldn't understand the concepts.  If you enjoyed his other works, this one is a safe bet.

I'm a book reading fiend (including most of Stephenson) and Anathem even intimidates me!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »

I saw your thread title and came in to recommend Ready Player One!

I have also heard good things about the book Tiktokman recommended.

If you like Moore, I assume you've done the Tom Robbins thing (Jitterbug Perfume being my favorite).  Older than you were looking for, I know.  Also, Vonnegut.

And getting further away from your interests, seemingly, are The Pirates! series by Gideon DeFoe.  It fits in with Pratchett and Moore, though, and is full of insane, intentional anachronisms, so there's your, um, time travel.  Also, they're hilarious.  And very quick reads.  Get to 'em before the movie hits in a couple of weeks!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »

Grue, have you read any of the Temeraire books?  Napoleonic Wars historical fiction... but if there were dragons.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »

You got me looking up time travel stuff.

If you haven't read To Say Nothing of the Dog, that's a must.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 19, 2012, 08:09:11 PM

Grue, have you read any of the Temeraire books?  Napoleonic Wars historical fiction... but if there were dragons.

Fun series and easy reads.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »

Nope, but sounds cool.

So nobody has read the Connie Willis books?  They won Hugo awards in 2011.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:21 PM »

You could read a stupid zombie book that's like .99 because the author loves living on ramen. Or the publisher does. Anyway, it's supposed to go back up to $5 in the next day or two. I heard that the author/hack will just send you a copy if you ask.

Have you read any Tom Holt? since you like Christopher Moore he may be right up your alley.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 10:26:08 PM

Grue, have you read any of the Temeraire books?  Napoleonic Wars historical fiction... but if there were dragons.

Nope, but sounds cool.

So nobody has read the Connie Willis books?  They won Hugo awards in 2011.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2012, 08:12:14 PM

You got me looking up time travel stuff.

If you haven't read To Say Nothing of the Dog, that's a must.

The void echoes...

warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 05:15:54 PM

Not at all.  It's just that the first book tells a well-contained story by itself.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:54 PM »

I'll give a similar book 1 recommendation to the Temeraire series.  The first one works just fine as a standalone, and discovering the alternate world the author has created is as fun as the story itself.

I know you said you were a bit tired of fantasy, but this one doesn't really read like fantasy.  It's very... technical, for lack of a better word.  The dragons are treated more like naval ships in combat, and there aren't any wood elves or wizards about.  It has more in common with Master & Commander than it does with Lord of the Rings. 

It's in that sense I could see it scratching your sci-fi and time traveller itch.  Mind you, there's no time travelling in it, but the alternate-timeline thing sort of touches on some of the same kind of fun.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 05:27:50 PM

Have you checked out Harry Turtledove?  his Worldwar series was fun alternate history/sci fi.

I read How Few Remain and did enjoy that, but that was the Civil War one.  I never got around to reading anything else by him.  Looking at Worldwar, the description sounds like the Resistance games on PS3, though Worldwar obviously came out before.  Might be willing to give it a try, though, as it is probably up my alley.

That's a good recommendation. I loved those books. I know it's cool to hate on Turtledove but I like his brand of characters and his imagination. I have to say, though, the World War books are great fun. An alien race invades right smack in the middle of World War II. Expecting to face men in armor and riding horses, they instead face armor and divisions of trained soldiers. Damn fun series.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »

This is the list of books I put together a few weeks ago to help my snap out of my funk.  There are sure to be some on the list you'll enjoy (it's a mix of apocalypse, sci-fi and fantasy).  Of course I'm in the middle of reading The Hunger Games now icon_biggrin

Black Easter by James Blish
A Canticle for Liebowitz by Miller
Non Robot/Foundation Asimov
Dueling Machine Ben Bova
Any of the earlier Pern books
Friday by Heinlein
John Campbell
I, Zombie by Curt Selby
John Crowley - Little, Big
The Heechee saga by Frederick Pohl
Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis
The Parafaith War by LE Modesitt Jr.sci-fi
Rediscovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith
Solaris  by Stanislaw Lem
David Gerold, a bit in the vein of Heinlein's short story, "All You Zombies"
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Olaf Stapledon's "Last and First Men
The Sirens of Titan  by Kurt Vonnegut
The Fifth Sacred Thing - Starhawk
H. Beam Piper's Federation
Riddley Walker - Russell Hoban
Stand on Zanzibar - John Brunner
The Lilith's Brood series - Octavia Butler
End of eternity - Asimov
Babel-17 by Delaney
A Gift Upon the Shore by M. K. Wren
Finder, Bone Dance and Falcon, by Emma Bull.
Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-precious Stones - Samuel R. Delany
Michael Moorcock - Corum, Elric
The Witches of Karres, by James Schmitz
The Last Planet, by Andre Norton.
C. J. Cherryh - Morgaine
The Chronicles of the Deryni, by Katherine Kurtz.
Fritz Leiber's The Big Time
The Family Tree, by Sheri Tepper
The Musashi Flex series
Andre Norton - The Stars Are Ours, 2250 AD
Scott Westerfeld's The Risen EmpireSilk Roads
Shadows, by Susan Schwartz
Harlan Ellison - "Phoenix Without Ashes"
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
The Demolished Man, also by Alfred Bester.
L. Sprague de Camp - "Lest Darkness Fall
All The Myriad Ways by Larry Niven
Godstalk, by P.C. Hodgell
Jericho Moon, by Matthew Woodring Stover
Heroes Die, by Matthew Woodring Stover
The Face in the Frost, by John Bellairs
Gloriana, by Michael Moorcock
Magic Casement, by Dave Duncan
The Overman Culture, by Edmund Cooper
The House in November, by Keith Laumer
Re-birth (AKA The Chrysalids), by John Wyndham
Hawksbill Station, by Robert Silverberg
Children of the Star trilogy, by Sylvia Engdahl
The Changeling, by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 01:12:56 AM »

I started the Darth Plagueis book and just stalled in chapter 17 with no interest in continuing, despite being really excited about the prospect of the book. 

just started reading this myself, and so far it seems dull.  not sure what I expected, but James Lucerno's Dark Lord was a decent read so I figured it would be a safe bet.

Have you checked out Harry Turtledove?  his Worldwar series was fun alternate history/sci fi.

I loved Turtledoves' the Videssos Cycle series. Misplaced Legion was the first, IIRC.

The Homefront novel wasn't bad. Wasn't great, but it was more compelling than the game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 01:37:18 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 20, 2012, 12:44:36 AM

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2012, 05:27:50 PM

I read How Few Remain and did enjoy that, but that was the Civil War one.  I never got around to reading anything else by him.  Looking at Worldwar, the description sounds like the Resistance games on PS3, though Worldwar obviously came out before.  Might be willing to give it a try, though, as it is probably up my alley.

That's a good recommendation. I loved those books. I know it's cool to hate on Turtledove but I like his brand of characters and his imagination. I have to say, though, the World War books are great fun. An alien race invades right smack in the middle of World War II. Expecting to face men in armor and riding horses, they instead face armor and divisions of trained soldiers. Damn fun series.

personally my biggest gripe with him is that he tends to repeat stuff about characters a bit too much.  I don't recall it happening in the Worldwar series, but as Southern Victory continued it happened more and more often.  yes, we know this sailor's skin cannot stand the sun so he must slather on sunscreen, no need to reiterate it every chapter he appears in the book.

I think he gets the hate because he seems to keep on re-doing WW2 in long series:  first there was Worldwar, then almost immediately after he started the Southern Victory series (granted some of the series took place before WW2 but the parallels were so heavy you couldn't miss them; if he had done things more differently it would have been less predictable) and then just a few years later went on to try the same thing with The War That Came Early series.  personally my biggest gripe with him is that he tends to repeat stuff about characters a bit too much.  I don't recall it happening in the Worldwar series, but as Southern Victory continued it happened more and more often.  yes, we know this sailor's skin cannot stand the sun so he must slather on sunscreen, no need to reiterate it every chapter he appears in the book.  In between the last two he did the Days of Infamy duology, which included Days of Infamy and End of the Beginning, also set in alternate WW2, and then there was also the Darkness series somewhere in there which was apparently WW2 in a fantasy setting.  now I haven't read anything after the Southern Victory series ended, but reviews seem to indicate it's all more of the same.

personally my biggest gripe with him is that he tends to repeat stuff about characters a bit too much.  I don't recall it happening in the Worldwar series, but as Southern Victory continued it happened more and more often.  yes, we know this sailor's skin cannot stand the sun so he must slather on sunscreen, no need to reiterate it every chapter he appears in the book.

biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2012, 11:06:29 PM

The void echoes...

I meant the two that I mentioned, but, yes, she did write this as well.  Have you read it, though?

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 02:30:01 AM »

I read the Doomsday book by Connie Willis, which is also about time travel. It was really good.

The Hunger Games are good too.

Have you read the Joe Ledger books (Patient Zero, Dragon Factory), or the Newsflash trilogy?

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

Wake up.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 03:31:59 AM »

To pat myself on the back for getting a new job I picked up The Witch Watch by Shamus Young, available in numerous formats.  I haven't finished it yet, but I'm enjoying it - it has something of a Gaimen/Pratchett feel to it, though maybe a bit dryer.  He's the dude that put together DM of the Rings and wrote a pretty decent fan-fic of System Shock called Free Radical which is a free download on the first link above.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:05 AM »

Read the first book in The Veiled Worlds trilogy by Jo Anderton: Debris. Interesting and different, falls into a far future dystopian society kind of space. The second one will be out in June.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 03:51:14 AM »

Whenever I have problems motivating myself to read I always pick up one of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. I find that they're well enough written that it takes little effort to get going with one. I actually save that series just for those rainy days when I need to read myself out of a funk.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:52:53 AM by kronovan » Logged
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 04:10:52 AM »

If you never read David Brin, he is a great hard sf writer from the 80' s-90' s.  Glory Road (not Heinlein) just came out for kindle and Earth is also there.

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 04:33:48 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 20, 2012, 02:30:01 AM

Have you read the Joe Ledger books (Patient Zero, Dragon Factory), or the Newsflash trilogy?

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

Shit, I completely forgot about the Ledger books.  And the newest one in the series comes out on April 10th!   drool

I love the Ledger series.

The Repairman Jack series can be fun reads as well, only there are a number of them and things can sometimes get a little convoluted if you don't read one right after another.

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:06 AM »

Did you ever read "The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril" by Paul Malmont? If not, it's a great read. If yes, the sequel just came out and it's fabulous.

The best zombie novel I've read in some time is "The Reapers are the Angels" by Alden Bell. It even has supermutants, ala Fallout. Pretty awesome.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25:31 AM »

if you haven't read Patient Zero, then now would be a great time to get it. 

on sale for 2.99

I have it and am about half way done.  great book so far, even if it favors the military side rather than the big Z side. 

in your category of authors, a few items came to mind.  my guess is you already read them though, but it bears mentioning all the same.

Good Omens - Pratchett and Gaiman.  a classic mix of fantasy, reality and the ever present end of the world.
Neverwhere - Gaiman.  an everyman falls through the cracks into the world hidden in plain sight.

a +1 for Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus - a rather unusual take on time travel

The Years of Rice and Salt - Kim Stanley Robinson - what began as an interesting premise (the plague killed 99% of europe's population) turns into a longer reaching tale of reincarnation and interconnecting souls

Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.  a great military sci-fi in the style of heinlein.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »

I'm listening to Surface Detail by Iain M Banks which I really enjoy.  To Say Nothing of the Dog is my favorite novel, I have read it many times.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 20, 2012, 02:01:00 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2012, 11:06:29 PM

The void echoes...

I meant the two that I mentioned, but, yes, she did write this as well.  Have you read it, though?

I have.  It's really, really great.  I haven't gotten around to the Doomsday Book.  It's in the same universe, apparently, but has a lighter tone.  Actually, that's probably the reason I haven't read Doomsday, as the tone was one of the things I liked the most. 

In looking up time travel novels, it keeps coming up on people's best-ofs.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »

Just want to thank everyone for all the recommendations.  I now have a huge list of books I can go through and will bookmark this thread for easy access.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on March 19, 2012, 06:26:52 PM

This should meet your science fiction and time travel needs -

http://www.amazon.com/Safely-Science-Fictional-Universe-ebook/dp/B003V1WXIW/ref=kinw_dp_ke?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

I really enjoyed it.

I didn't.  The story was depressing, and I felt that the setting could have been used to a better impact.  I just didn't care for it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »

Lots of good replies so far.

Another +1 for Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus.  Loved this book.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi is a great sci-fi book with more of a military theme.

As for dystopian, I just finished reading Partials by Dan Wells and it was a good read. 

I would recommend The Hunger Games as well.

Another good dystopian book I don't see talked about a lot is The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.  Partials and The Hunger Games are both categorized as young adult and focus a little more on action.  The Windup Girl is not young adult and deals more with ideas that affect us today (global warming, biotech and farming, global corporations, etc).

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood is another good book dealing with things like corporations and gene modification in and leading to a fallen civilization.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »

I will definitely second Friday by Heinlein.  That's a fun read.  As in it has a sci-fi element, but isn't all sci-fi serious.  It's more of a comedy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: