http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:00:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Time Box Office Winners- Adjusted for Inflation  (Read 570 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »

Very surprising list, imo.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »

The problem with "adjusting for inflation" also means adjusting based on accessibility.

Going to the theatres for two people costs as much as "insert home media here".

1939? That was your only avenue, and the ticket cost was ridiculously low... so while it's nice to see classic movies come to the forefront, it is by no means an apples-to-apples comparison.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »

One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
Trivia: Someone counted all black spots in the movie, frame-by-frame, and reached the total of 6,469,952.

saywhat

Who has this kind of time?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 09, 2009, 01:51:29 PM

The problem with "adjusting for inflation" also means adjusting based on accessibility.

Going to the theatres for two people costs as much as "insert home media here".

1939? That was your only avenue, and the ticket cost was ridiculously low... so while it's nice to see classic movies come to the forefront, it is by no means an apples-to-apples comparison.

Agreed.

Really, you have the pre-TV era and the post-TV era.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »

it'd be interesting to see that list done with the international box office totals included.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on February 09, 2009, 02:05:02 PM

Really, you have the pre-TV era and the post-TV era.

Also, the pre-home video and post-home video era is enormously significant as well.  And, to a lesser extent, the pre-DVD/post DVD era which IMO is going to have a dramatic impact on willingness to attend repeat viewings. 

All of which is why I generally find the adjusted for inflation box office totals pretty useless for any meaningful comparisons.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »

Barely related to the current conversation but I can remember what a huge deal it was when Ghostbusters was coming out on VHS, the cost to actually buy the video was close to $70 MSRP.  I think it was the first big blockbuster I can remember watching on VHS instead of HBO once it left the theaters.

I kind of find the list more interesting and accurate than most seem to think.  Even if you added in video sales I still think most of the animated movies on that list would still be there and maybe even rank higher, sure the Star Wars movies and most likely E.T. and Titanic would rise in a total sales list and the non-animated classics would fall.  I think it does what it is meant to do, it shows how many people are willing to go sit in a theater to watch a movie then and just how hard it is for movies today to get butts in seats in comparison no matter how huge it seems to be.

I don't get why Raiders of the Lost Ark isn't on the list though, it grossed more than Ghostbusters but came out 3 years earlier, I would have thought that it would have been adjusted up higher than Ghostbusters.  I'm even more surprised that Beverly Hills Cop wasn't on the list given that Ghostbusters was and that BHC was at the top of the box office for several months that same year.   The only modern movie missing from the list I found interesting was the first Spider-Man movie.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

All 3 original Star Wars movies on there. Says something....like how great theywere or how dumb George is now smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 02:37:52 AM »

Also note economies of scale have occurred so movies can be shown for less than the increase in inflation over the years.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 02:56:51 AM »

I knew Jaws had to be up there. That came out in '75 I think, and that was back when movies stayed in the theater for a long, long time if they were hits. Jaws had lines around the building, and played in one theater near me for close to a year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: