http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:28:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All done! Wisdom teeth are gone.  (Read 1583 times)
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:20:51 PM »

Well, I just returned from the oral surgeon. I have no idea why anyone would want to be put under for the procedure. I used to be deathly afraid of the dentist, but no more, I am over that fear completely now.

The whole procedure took less than 30 minutes, shook the surgeon's hand, paid, got my prescription, and then I was gone. Though, I do have a high tolerance for pain (which the surgeon commented on several times), and so I guess my experience is  going to be different than others.

He prescribed a rinse medication, Lortab for the pain, and Biaxin as an antibiotic. They were substituded with Hydrodone and Clarithromycin. Since I can't eat until the numbess has completely wore off (which it has almost done) I can't take the pills (says to take with food). Though, I really do NOT feel any pain at all. The left side of my face is no longer numb, I only have a slight numbness on the right.

Do I need to take the pain medication if I am not experiencing a lot of pain? I know I meed to do the rinse and take the antibiotic medication, but do I need to take the pain medication?

Anywho, I guess I can't drink any alchohol for a little while.  frown

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 09:27:03 PM »

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out just about a year ago.  Everything felt fine the first day.  But then the next day and just about the whole week after I couldn't hardly eat anything because my teeth hurt so much.

It's not usually like that with people, but with me, it took a longer recovery then expected.

Should you take pain pills even if you're not experiencing pain?  Eeeh that's iffy.  You will most likely experience a bit of discomfort and pain sometime.  I dunno, I'd say pop one in right when the numbness wears off and see how it goes.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:27:48 PM »

I had all four of  mine taken out a few years ago.  Luckily, I didn't have too much swelling or bruising like some people.  They gave me Vicodin for the pain.  That's some good stuff.
I didn't think the pain med was necessary at first, but later in the day when the Vicodin started to wore off, it hurt like a bastard.  So, I popped a pill and bye bye pain!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 09:29:42 PM »

Mine were taken out when I was 16. Jesus was it an ordeal. You are damn lucky its not more painful.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 09:40:35 PM »

If you're not in pain, you don't need to take the pain meds.  However, if you know you're going to have pain, it's best to stay ahead of the pain by taking new pills when the effects of the current pill start to wear off (within the scope of "as directed," don't want to overdose).  Getting "behind" the pain (e.g. only taking them when things start to get unbearable) is a BAD idea, as the pills can take awhile to start acting, and it can requires higher doses to get back to the "no pain" state.

Not that I anticipate this problem with you, but If the pills you were prescribed, as directed, aren't managing the pain, call the doc and ask for a better solution.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 09:53:49 PM »

Numbess is completely gone now. No pain, but we will see where we are after I eat. The instructions say to eat soft foods for a couple of days, so grilled cheese it is for tonight.

Glad I got this whole ordeal out of the way, now I can concentrate on the important things. Like X360 and stuff.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 11:50:06 PM »

Okay, well eating was a fun experience. Pain pills here I come. Not severe pain, but gives me an excuse to take drugs that would normally get me fired if it weren't a prescription lol.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:12:41 AM »

I had three of them taken out.  I also didnt get put under for it.  I felt alright afterward and then I took the next day of school of because I could.  After that I was pretty much fine with a pain every once in a while for about a week.  The pain was from one of the holes that didnt heal as quickly as the other two.  It wasnt a bad pain and it didnt keep me from doing anything.  I took pain pills the first night to go to bed and realized the next day I didnt need them.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 12:18:11 AM »

Hopefully that is the same situation for me. I am starting to feel the affects of the drug now. I feel, more relaxed, there is definitely a high associated with it. I can see how these can be addictive. Though, it isn't as fun as alchohol.  biggrin  

You know, I'm curious as to how much the drugs really were. I only paid $5.00 for each prescription. I wonder how expensive these drugs are if you did not have medical insurance.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 01:08:56 AM »

All 4 of my wisdom teeth were impacted, and after the anethestic wore off, it hurt like a motherf!  I remember telling my mom, "don't worry about picking up the prescription, I feel fine, no pain at all."  About 4 hours later I was begging her to go back and pick up the drugs.  It only hurt like that for a day or so.  I had some major sockets to take care of for the next couple of weeks too.  I had to use high pressure water to clean them out, which didn't exactly feel great.  I did manage to get a date with the hot dental tech out of the experience.  She went to a college near mine in VA, and from her side of the story, after they drugged me up I wouldn't stop hitting on her.  My mom likes to tell the story of how pathetic I was, and how she was pretending not to know me.    

I'm happy to hear your surgery went smoothly and you're feeling no pain.  That's great.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 01:20:02 AM »

How old are you?  I like to think I've escaped the whole misery of the wisdom teeth thing by my age but I'm not sure if there is a cutoff.  Seems I usually see people in their late teens or so getting the procedure.

I'm glad the Lortab works for you.  I was prescribed some a few weeks ago for a tooth infection prior to a root canal.  Made me a bit warm and excitable, but didn't do too much to dull my pain after 90 minutes.  I found a fistfull of Advil had more staying power.  The one good thing about the Lortab is that they didn't make me as drowsy as the harder stuff.  Percoset was much better.  Well, at least they put me to sleep so I wasn't in pain!  I am such a baby.  No pain threshold whatsoever.

Oh, and the Lortab are cheap.  I think I paid $5 or so for them as well.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 02:04:04 AM »

I'm 26 years old. I'm late to the party.  biggrin

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 02:58:09 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Super.  I'm almost 28 and haven't had any trouble with mine so maybe I've dodged that particular bullet.  I certainly hope so!  Sounds like your thing went smoothly.  That's amazing they can do it so fast.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 04:03:52 AM »

I had one absess on my a few years ago and had to put up with it a whole weekend. On Monday I went in to have it removed...got my shot...10 minutes later he comes in and sticks some type of pliers in my mouth and removes them..i ask if he thinks its ready to come out and he shows me the tooth on the pliers. All gone no pain..actually it STOPPED hurting when he removed it. And i never felt anything afterwards. Got lucky in a way i guess.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 04:07:35 AM »

Yup, amazing how quick the process is. I'm still awake right now, getting ready to try out the CoV beta. Still bleeding a little, but that is to be expected I guess.

Daehawk, that signature is such a classic.  biggrin

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 06:23:28 AM »

Yeah mine stayed a little bloody for a day or so. I was very afraid of getting a dry socket. My wife has had them and says they hurt like hell. I slept with the gauze in and sitting up in bed. hehe.

Thnx! Ive had a few sigs but that one Ive always kept. I love it too.  Tongue

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 06:52:24 AM »

I got put under for it.  I'm deathly afraid of dentists, so I couldn't take it awake.

It went okay biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 08:15:54 AM »

UGH, I had four impacted (or is it compacted?) widsom teeth removed when I was 16.  That was the most miserable experience of my life!  I was awake for the procedure, and it wasn't pleasant.  But the worst part was the recovery.  Good god what pain!  And even though I rinsed those sockets out like I was told, I still got dry socket.  I wished for death at that point.  Glad to hear your experience went better though.

Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 01:57:36 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Super.  I'm almost 28 and haven't had any trouble with mine so maybe I've dodged that particular bullet.  I certainly hope so!

My dad didn't get his removed until he was in his 40's.  I think they got infected or were starting to rot away, so it became necessary.  So, I'm not sure there's a "safe age" where this sort of surgery isn't necessary anymore.  I know dentists like to have them out sooner rather than later, because there can be more surgical complications with older people.

Edit -- Here's a stat I found on some dentistry page: "40% of adults that never had their wisdom teeth removed as a teen develop infection, decay or gum disease by 45"
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 03:29:11 AM »

I didn't want to lose all my smarts so I've only had have of them removed.
 I was one of those people where they came in more or less but got cavities and just had them yanked out. Damn fairies didn't leave me a GD thing either!

Ye Olde Farte
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 01:43:14 PM »

Ugh, like 2 days after I got them out I took a trip to see a friend in Boston and didn't eat or drink because of discomfort then stupidly had a cup of coffee and got massive dehydration.  Woke up in the middle of the night and had to stumble down to the bathroom totally delirious and unbalanced.  Freaky stuff.

Did you get the little nasty syringe squirter?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 03:21:50 PM »

Oh yeah, the shots were the most uncomfortable part. Not too bad all together. The bleeding has stopped all together today, but still am on pens and needles when it comes to eating. Probably paranoia that I might break the stitches and start the whole process over again.

This being the third day, can I drink coffee?

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 10:01:56 PM »

Doooon't do it!!!  YAWAAA!!!  bad memories!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: