http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:15:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aliens Vs. Predator....say it isn't so!!  (Read 3541 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2004, 02:57:16 PM »

PG-13

Yep....how the HELL are you going to have an epic battle between two of the deadliest killing machines ever to hit the silver screen and have it be the same rating as Austin Powers?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 03:21:53 PM »

In theory, because if they keep the violence against the humans to a minimum and/or off-screen, then they can go all out with the Aliens and Predators tearing each other to pieces. The MPAA is notoriously fickle about red blood flying about, but green and acid and monsters melting can fly around with reckless abandon and they don't care. Good and bad thing, to me. We should still get to see plenty of good AvP action, but I doubt we'll see any close-ups on the Alien "birth" scenes. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 03:56:29 PM »

We can watch aliens kill each other over and over again, eviscerating and eating each other, excreting the remains and then eating them again, and it gets a G rating.

If they show a human booby, it automatically goes to R or AO. Tongue

God bless the NAPRS.
(North American Puritan Rating System)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 08:51:04 PM »

This movie doesn't seem like it's going to be very good.  I wonder if the studio knew it was going to be bad, made some edits to lower the rating to PG-13 as to attract a wider audience on opening night to get some more $$.  I bet this one drops off the map after the first week.

Why not make it like the PC game with marines, Aliens and Predators with some good old-fashioned rated R violence?  That's a movie I want to see.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 10:17:18 PM »

There are a couple of new clips up: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/clips/

I doubt it will be that good either. Regardless of the rating though, there is just something incredibly cool about a Predator swinging an Alien around by it's tail. biggrin
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 01:24:07 PM »

Absolutely.  This is one of those movies you KNOW going in is going to pretty much suck....  and yet you WANT to see it.

At least I do.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 04:05:20 PM »

meh ill wait for video for this one, or wait for someone elses tab to buy for you smile

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 07:30:17 PM »

It will be terrible, and I will be there on opening night with money in hand.

I'm such a dork.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 07:50:06 PM »

Why don't you guys wait for video release, then you pay a lot less to see the movie.  If you have two people at $8 a piece (price may be bigger in your area...also minus the condiments) you're already paying $16 when you can wait for the video release for about 1/4 that price.

I know...way too logical.  I personally try to do that for all the stuff that will probably be stupid.  Many times I'll say, "we'll wait for the video release" on many films.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 08:50:18 PM »

it makes perfect sense on this movie, there is really nothing that makes it a non-rental movie. no redeming qualities that would have you in the line ready to donate 8.75 to the producers/actors/studio.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 10:00:06 PM »

My friend and I were all geeked up for this one.  We were ready for opening night, but then found out it was PG-13.

As if the plot itself didn't sound horrible enough they have to edit it down to sell it to the teens?  Were the Predator or Alien movies ever rated less than R?  So who thought this was a good idea?  I say throw them to the face huggers.

Needless to say we won't be seeing it until video.  Instead we're renting Kill Bill 1 & 2.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 10:32:46 PM »

But... But... It's Aliens against Predators! How can it go wrong?!?! Why must good material always be spoiled by shitty scripts, actors, and directing?! WHY!?!?!?!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 03:06:25 AM »

At least it isn't bad for a long time. All of 87 minutes.

Sounds like a really bad action flick that will be on cable forever because it fits conviently into a two hour slot with commercials.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 10:02:59 AM »

The more I think about this, don't you guys think there should be some type of "movie law" to prevent excellent licenses and movie concepts from being raped by people who are inevitably going to screw it up?

Alien Series - For the most part, excellent.  #3 not so good, but overall, excellent.  #1 and #2 makes up for #3 being so poor.  

"Somebody wake up Hicks."

Predator Series - #1 was simply fantastic.  #2 introduced alot of cool Predator weapons and stuff, so it's flaws can be overlooked.  

"I'll bleed you... leave you here."

Then...  we get a PG-13 rated trainwreck waiting to happen.  The movie-police should just stop this from happening.  They could watch the movie, take out all the "suck", make them rework it into "unsuck", and then release it.  What would be so hard?

"What did you say this room was called?"

Whatever.   :?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 10:54:36 PM »

I'm smelling a big turd of a movie (not that I was going to see it in the theaters anyway).  Rotten Tomatoes (brought to you now by McGriddles and IGN) has NO REVIEWS of it yet.  Thursday at almost 6pm my time and there are no reviews for it yet.  What does this mean you ask?

Well, it means that 20th Century Fox probably didn't do any preview screening of AvP.  Traditionally for the most part this means that the movie is basically DoA and they hope to get enough "suckers" to buy tickets the first day before the reviewers are able to go see it and have their low scoring and scathing reviews ready by Saturday morning.  This isn't a perfect fact because I know there have been movies with no review screening before, I just can't think of any at this very moment.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 11:41:27 PM »

Another round of "Major Pile of Suckage" reviews just came in over at AICN, though I think by this point those clods are just trying to make noise like usual. My fear is the watered-down violence and the cheap looking sets and spastic editing that Paul "Weak Sauce" Anderson displays so frequently. I may have to just watch the new Predator: SE DVD and Aliens back-to-back instead. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 09:50:35 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
My fear is the watered-down violence and the cheap looking sets and spastic editing that Paul "Weak Sauce" Anderson displays so frequently. I may have to just watch the new Predator: SE DVD and Aliens back-to-back instead. biggrin

That is good.   biggrin   (if unfortunate)

LD

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 03:14:19 PM »

Yup. Sad when you have to go buy an SE DVD out of protest, but them's the breaks. biggrin

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 03:39:51 PM »

LD, the one you forgot was resurection, imo, that ruined the franchise. That movie was not good, simply, I didnt now like it, 3 was the weakest but still better than A:R by a long shot. I loved Alien and Aliens was argueably the best movie in the series. Its been on its way down. Predator on the other hand, both movies were pretty good. I dont know why they would do this, money-sucking producers anger me.  :evil:

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 03:54:07 PM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
I dont know why they would do this, money-sucking producers anger me.  :evil:

It's quite simple actually.  When Predator/Aliens/Robocop (1987, 1986 and 1987) came out, R rated action movies were still all the rave (even though PG-13 made it's appearance in 1984).

You start moving past 1990 and many action movies are rated PG-13 in order to get the largest amount of people to see a movie.  With the decrease of extreme violence, the scripts tend to be more "watered down" in action films rated PG-13, so you don't get the cool shit you saw in the movies I opened this with...more realistic portrayals of what would really happen if you got shot by a minigun for example.

AvP should have been done long ago when the comic book was still hot.  Had it been done long ago it probably would have gotten the R treatment, but today many movies must be pigeonholed into the PG-13 category in order to see its full monetary potential in the eyes of the producers.  It's a sad, but true, fact.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 12:27:21 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
AvP should have been done long ago when the comic book was still hot.

The original series was great.  I would have loved to have seen that movie.  I need to go find my old graphic novel of that series and loan it out to my friends that are now bummed about the new movie.

I thought Dark Horse did a pretty good job with both the Predator and the Aliens comic books.  They had good stories and the Aliens in particular worked really well with the backstory.  I stopped reading them about the time Batman faced off against a Predator and Superman fought Aliens.

The original AvP series is really fantastic.  The story reminds me of a good anime series, actually.  I haven't seen too many, but I feel the story and characters make sense and would translate to the (animated) screen with ease.

I am just glad the video store had Kill Bill 1 & 2 in stock.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 06:06:53 AM »

I have seen it, and it is very, very, very not good, and I will buy it on DVD when it releases.

Also, I have sucker stamped on my forehead.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2004, 12:08:28 PM »

Heh.  Metacritic has a nice "BAD MOVIE ALERT" right next to AvP stating critics weren't allowed to screen this movie before opening day.  The score it gets so far is 28/100 with the highest rating being a 50%.

I really hate how movie studios feel the need to milk a cash cow to death by putting out crap. I wish there could be some intelligent people at the helm to greenlight a GOOD story with a GOOD cast and director.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2004, 09:21:57 PM »

Seriously.. when the movie ended I've never been so torn before.

I just felt completely neutral.

I heard the neutral guys in Futurama in my head as the credits rolled.

"If I die, tell my wife... Hello."

It was like, for every one good thing there was one thing equally bad. It was impossible for me to hate or like the movie. I've never seen anything like it.

Also.. if anybody goes to see it, I challenge you to keep track of the number of scenes and shots stolen directly from the first two Jurassic Park movies. I wasn't able to keep count, and lost my way somewhere around the middle of the movie.. as there are a LOT of things lifted from JP. There's a very glaring one near the end for anybody that remembers The Lost World. I know.. I wish I could forget it existed too.. but it does, and Paul Anderson stole not just from good movies for this, but also from some bad ones.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: