http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:21:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Prometheus (previously Alien the Prequel)  (Read 17138 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 20, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »

I just watched it on bluray this week.  It started good.  A team headed out on a space exploration journey, cool tech, the possibility to meet a creator species.  Unfortunately, just when the drama was starting to pick up, it seemed to go sideways and crash.  I was yanked out of the story every time something stupid happened.  I'm not talking about a little annoyance or unexplainable event, I'm talking about something so stupid that I can't believe a character in a movie would do it.  For example:
Spoiler for Hiden:
- Magic mapball guy and biologist deciding to head back from an expedition by themselves...and everyone being ok with that
- Same duo getting lost in a fully mapped environment
- Nobody freaking the f**k out when a life form was detected inside the structure that wasn't from their group (it's just a blip)
- Master Sergeant from Halo deciding it's time to get laid even though he has 2 bodies lost and stranded inside an alien structure with an unknown life form
- The expedition leader having sex with Master Sergeant to prove she's not an android
- Biologist losing his mind and trying to wubby dubby with the freaking scary looking trash compactor monster.  That scene...I mean wtf?  Who would do that?!  Least of all a trained biologist.
- And who in their right mind would setup a safe spot in the room with the freaky canisters, black goo, and ceiling murals that are changing?
- I know this has been said over and over again, but why in the hell did she run along the falling trajectory of the ship, and not perpendicular to it?

Even with all of that, I still was hoping the movie would pull out a strong ending.  It could've been so much better.  It's still an interesting story.  In the hands of a good writer, I would like to see where the storyline goes.   

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 21, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 20, 2012, 07:03:34 PM

Exclusive: Damon Lindelof Is Not Writing the PROMETHEUS Sequel; Explains Why
http://collider.com/prometheus-sequel-damon-lindelof/219084/#more-219084
Quote from: Damon Lindeolf
But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don’t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er.”
Yippee!!!!  icon_razz Although, since I'm not a fan of Prometheus, I guess I'm not eligible to be a "fanboy" per se.

Ha,i love this part of him talking to Ridley Scott
So I said to him, “I really don’t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff.  And I don’t know when the other stuff is going to be done.”  And he was like, “Well, okay, it’s not like I asked you anyways.”
icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: December 21, 2012, 02:57:56 AM »

I watched the film recently.  As it was I thought it was OK but after it finished I watched the deleted scenes and was surprised just how much better many of them would have made the movie.  Most of them were fairly minor but added a lot more depth to many of the characters actions.

The biggest scene omission in my opinion happens pretty close to the end.
Spoiler for Hiden:
In the theatrical cut the Space Jockey/ Engineer wakes up and for no reason starts killing people.

In the deleted scene he actually has a brief conversation with the people in the room.  The Engineer is actually fairly calm until the Old Dude starts yelling that humans are their equals and that they are both like gods; at which point the engineer becomes offended and then attacks the people in the room.

For me this makes it perfectly clear as to why the Engineers would choose to exterminate the human race after their creation and added extra meaning to the movie.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 21, 2012, 05:56:14 AM »

That does make more sense.  I thought he was pissed because he was having to talk to a smarmy robot.  Die synthetic!  And you...and you...and you...and you too! 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: December 21, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »

Heh, and people wonder why theater attendance is down. Even the cuts for home are better.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 21, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »

I don't think I give a crap about a sequel. They fucked it up from the start.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:49 AM »

Way late to the party here. Finally watched this after having the netflix bluray sitting around for several weeks. I had tempered expectations given the mixed reviews, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Beautiful special effects and nice performances. I was pretty young (7-8) when I saw Alien, and I am sure if I saw this at that age I would have loved it every bit as much. Thumbs up, and I look forward to the sequel.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 29, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »

Damon Lindelof on Prometheus 2 rumours

Damon Lindelof responds to rumours that Fox and Scott are 'Freaking Out' over Lindelof leaving the planned trilogy,with them not knowing which direction they should go with the sequel

A story broke last night, over at Bloody Disgusting, that was suggesting all wasn't well at all with the in development Prometheus 2. According to the site's unnamed sources, 20th Century Fox and director Ridley Scott are "freaking out" over how to continue he story of Prometheus, and where to take the adventures of Noomi Rapace's character next. Furthermore, it suggests that they "are taking pitches from anyone who can crack the story".

It also suggests that Prometheus 2 remains in limbo, partly as a result of the desire to turn the first film into the opener for a trilogy. And the site's story also digs into what changed when Damon Lindelof boarded the original film to rework Jon Spaihts' screenplay. It specifically states "Lindelof transformed Prometheus into a 'trilogy', thus stripping the first film’s conclusion of any meaning and setting Ridley and Fox up for disaster. This disaster was perpetuated when Lindelof announced he wouldn’t be penning the sequel. So, in short, the guy who convinced the filmmakers to make a trilogy, left them in the dust…"

I like this line...
"while I'm happy to maintain my ongoing role as Internet's whipping boy (well, not happy, but at least resigned), this is  weird attack piece, even for someone who should be used to it by now".

"As to whether Ridley and Fox are 'freaking out' about me not working on a sequel, well that’s news to me. I retain awesome relationships with both", he said.

"I did not map out a trilogy and then walk when the going got tough", Lindelof added, "anyone who says otherwise doesn't know me and doesn't know the truth". He ended by saying that "Bloody Disgusting was very clever in tagging their story with the sentiment that denials were going to come. This would seem to throw shade on me denying the veracity of the story simply by anticipating that I would. But denying the story I am. As I said, I will take all the abuse in the world for the things I have done, but I refuse to take it for the things I have not".

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 29, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »

True or not he fucked the franchise. He was handed the golden egg and decided to 'show' the world how 'smart' he was by fudging and weaving mystery into something that did not need it.
Fuck him.

1st post when I start turning to the dark side:
you know whats funny?.....

I saw this last week and liked it for what it was. Left the theater and thought that I could see it again later with my wife etc.

But now after reading this thread over the past week I am getting angry - no wait that is too harsh. I am 'irked' now that I have been drawing parallels between what I saw and what is being posted here. Boy oh boy did he ever flub it - I think that it may have all started with the re-write and adding that Lost screenwriter to the mix http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/11/damon-lindelof-prometheus-life-after-lost/ That new screenwriter (Damon L.) stated in an early post link (above) that he told Ridley that there was too much Alien material (chest bursters/face huggers / aliens) in the original screenplay and suggested that the movie could be made without making the direct links that the fans want and need. What a douche! If I want artsy fartsy make me think I will head back to university and enroll in philosophy and sociology classes.

If they expect to make a sequel and make people happy they had better be prepared to answer all the questions and spoon feed the audience with explanations and details. Wrap it all up with nice paper and bows and ribbons.

Now I'm mad!

2nd post with my original anger fully engrained and my journey to the Dark side complete:

now that I think back to the Lindelof interview I get a little more peeved.

Lost was frustrating yet entertaining - but ultimately I feel that the writers wanted to stroke their own manhood over and over.
This hubris came through with flying colours in Prometheus - I can still see Lindelof beating off in a corner like a maniac happy in his content that he stoked the cerebral fires again for those of us who aren't as 'smart' as he is.

Lindelof confirms in the article that the original screenplay author is 'OK' with the re-write - I call BS. I bet that guy is seething now that his potential Xenomorph Summer blockbuster has been relegated to something that needs a sequel to explain what ultimately should have been handled in 2hrs and a $13 movie ticket.

Listen - I am a smart man - but I don't need to weave a web to prove that I am a smart man. Fucking guy is so full of himself.

Quote of the year for me: This is a film I wanted to love and I hate it all the more because of it.

- Thanks for that one WorkingMike.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:24:14 PM by Roman » Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 29, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »

Roman, reading your post was like going through the drawn out seven stages of grief I had for this film in capsule form.

Acutally, make that six stages.  I don't see myself getting to acceptance.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 29, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »

LOL, I would think that him leaving would actually be a GOOD thing.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 29, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »

I don't buy Ridley is freaking out about the exodus of this screen writer at all. Not being a writer himself, he often demands large rewrites of scripts and has on more than 1 occassion replaced a screen writer even in the late stages of production. That article sounds far more like a website exploiting the very mixed opinions that exist for the prequel.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 30, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on March 29, 2013, 06:17:32 PM

LOL, I would think that him leaving would actually be a GOOD thing.

oh I know. I just felt like kicking a dead horse.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: