http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:13:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Prometheus (previously Alien the Prequel)  (Read 18203 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »

Screen grab from the trailer:

Spoiler for Hiden:
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2012, 02:15:45 AM »

https://www.weylandindustries.com/#/information

(Scroll down in link)

New viral stuff

Also, a question.  Is Ridley throwing out the Carl Bishop Weyland stuff?  Is Sir Peter Weyland the new canon?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 22, 2012, 02:15:45 AM

Also, a question.  Is Ridley throwing out the Carl Bishop Weyland stuff?  Is Sir Peter Weyland the new canon?

I don't see a conflict between them. Carl Bishop Weyland could have been the founder of the company, and Peter Weyland one of his progeny.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2012, 02:14:09 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 01, 2009, 05:23:00 PM

if they make it a different take on the whole alien one aspect where a research ship finds the space hulk and then has their own survival/destruction story ala alien with the ending being crashlanding the hulk onto the planet, then it could be good, if a bit trite. 

Going way back to 2009, I almost think Caine might have been part of the writing team, given how the newest trailers sort of indicate the story going...
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2012, 02:22:54 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 18, 2012, 07:05:59 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess what's going on in this movie right here, right now:

Spoiler for Hiden:
An alien race (the space jockeys) is trying to exterminate all races it considers a potential threat to itself. A signal is sent across the universe to attract those races advanced enough to seek it out. Once they arrive, the aliens do something to obtain the location of their home planet (probably some kind of brain extraction) and then sends a warship laden with bioweapons in the form of xenomorphs to wipe out the entire planet. The crew on the ship sent to seek out the alien signal discovers the plan and desperately tries to stop the ship before it can reach Earth. In the end they deliberately free one of the xenomorphs, which kills the space jockey and crashes the ship on an unknown, barren planet. The survivors then head home and tell their story, which leads directly into Alien, where Weyland-Yutani is trying to rediscover the location of the planet where the ship crashed to obtain the xenomorph for themselves.

Any better theories? smile

Sounds like the gist, but what I don't get is why is the ship so decrepit (hence the nickname given to it) in Alien?

Quote from: TiLT on March 22, 2012, 06:28:49 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 22, 2012, 02:15:45 AM

I don't see a conflict between them. Carl Bishop Weyland could have been the founder of the company, and Peter Weyland one of his progeny.

If they boot the whole AVP thing out of canon, that'll be a good thing. A very good thing.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »

Some mural thing
Spoiler for Hiden:
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2012, 06:37:07 AM »

Did anyone post the info about how Colonial Marines game is now canon, and is somehow fitting in information from Prometheus?
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »

Creepy, yet awesome.

Happy Birthday David

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on April 18, 2012, 05:09:26 PM

Creepy, yet awesome.

Happy Birthday David

Very cool video!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »

Since his role as Magneto in X-Men: First Class and some of his recent subsequent roles, Fassbender is quickly becoming a personal favorite.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 19, 2012, 04:31:15 AM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2012/04/18/prometheus-when-movie-marketing-goes-very-right/
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 19, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »

One of the comments on that new Youtube video points out something interesting

Androids in the Alien series follow the alphabet.

A - Ash.

B - Bishop.

C - Call.

D - David.

RedJoe10 1 hour ago

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: April 19, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

Watched the TED talks video for the first time.

goosebumps.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on April 18, 2012, 05:09:26 PM

Creepy, yet awesome.

Happy Birthday David

yeah, that was kind of creepy.  liked the pen tapping.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 18, 2012, 11:38:01 PM

Since his role as Magneto in X-Men: First Class and some of his recent subsequent roles, Fassbender is quickly becoming a personal favorite.

I remember watching him in a BBC series called Hex years ago.  Even then he just stuck out as way too good for the show.  Then he appeared in 300 and before I knew it, he was popping up in almost every movie I saw.  He's like a modern day Michael Caine...if we didn't actually have a modern day Michael Caine that is.  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:20:13 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2012, 08:18:47 PM »

2 cool links to play around with if you like - both part of the marketing campaign:

http://www.projectprometheus.com/image.php?id=1
https://www.weylandindustries.com/

The corporate timeline on Weyland is well done and a fun read (IMHO) Link for teh L@zee: https://www.weylandindustries.com/timeline
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:42:35 PM by Roman » Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »

Quote from: Roman on April 19, 2012, 08:18:47 PM

2 cool links to play around with if you like - both part of the marketing campaign:

http://www.projectprometheus.com/image.php?id=1
https://www.weylandindustries.com/

The corporate timeline on Weyland is well done and a fun read (IMHO)

Agreed, the corporate timeline was awesome!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »

so what year were they taken over by Wal-Mart? icon_wink

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2012, 11:15:22 PM »

Based on their market cap of 637 trillion in 2040 something I think it's safe to say Walmart would be their bitch slywink

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »

Awesome Prometheus international trailer's out but I tend to agree it perhaps reveals too much for the movie's own good. If that doesn't bother you, do a search on it, if you dare.  paranoid

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 30, 2012, 12:41:41 PM

Awesome Prometheus international trailer's out but I tend to agree it perhaps reveals too much for the movie's own good. If that doesn't bother you, do a search on it, if you dare.  paranoid

I saw the topic on Kotaku,but didn't click on it(i think my words were,meh CeeKay will have it up on GT,i'll watch it then icon_lol)...but now you have said that BlackJack,i think i may start doing a media block out on this one from now until parting my ass on the seat in the theatre...because if YOU think it shows too much then it must show everything,LOL

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »

I caved and watched it.

THere are a few scenes that were expanded upon from other clips that we've seen.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can say that what we all previously thought/read from posts above looks to be bang-on in terms of plot/story

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »

In my defense  smirk, I did specifically put blinders on with Cabin in the Woods, and I'm definitely glad I did. My brother and I were really blindsided, so to speak (my brother kept pestering me, "When does the movie GET GOOD?"  icon_razz). And I'm not fixating on every word about Dark Knight Rising as I did with TDK.

otoh, I'm not worrying about it much with The Avengers. I expect to enjoy that for spectacle and characters, more than surprises, twists and creeping terror.

I'm mixed on the Prometheus international trailer because it certainly gets me more excited about the movie. It certainly makes me think there's plenty of action in the film, and you know with Ridley Scott it's going to Look Good. And you know he'll have a couple of butt-kicking female characters in there, and it's clearer in this trailer (this is the guy who directed Thelma and Louise afterall). But I felt there were a couple things in there I'd have rather discovered in the movie when I see it.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2012, 05:14:36 AM »

Having seen the latest Prometheus trailer before The Avengers these last couple days, I'm now very keen on this. Not like I wasn't before, but it looks incredible, and seems to have an outstanding cast. And of course we haven't gotten to see Ridley Scott strut his sci-fi stuff in forever.

I still feel like the latest trailer is giving away too much of what I might've preferred to "discover" in the film. And it doesn't sound like it's going to be a very "happy" movie, but that's OK.  icon_smile I felt like the trailer definitely stood toe-to-toe with the other big ones (Dark Knight Rising, Amazing Spider-Man and The Hobbit). Have a great feeling about this movie summer.  Bring your own!

I often refer to 1982 as a tremendous movie summer -- Conan the Barbarian, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, E.T., Poltergeist, The Road Warrior (U.S. release), Blade Runner, TRON, The Thing, to name a few (and a bonus was that 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark was re-released in theaters). I was like a 17 year old kid in a candy store that summer. This summer might just remind me of that.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:17:22 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »

I haven't been following this.

Last I recall they didn't get the license to the Aliens franchise and it had to become a separate movie inspired by this.

But I also heard rumors that they got the license half-way through? Anyone want to bring me up to date on the storied history of this film?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2012, 03:44:00 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 06, 2012, 11:07:11 AM

I haven't been following this.

Last I recall they didn't get the license to the Aliens franchise and it had to become a separate movie inspired by this.

But I also heard rumors that they got the license half-way through? Anyone want to bring me up to date on the storied history of this film?

From Wikipedia:

Conceived as a prequel to Scott's 1979 science fiction horror film Alien, rewrites of Spaihts's script by Lindelof developed a separate story that precedes the events of Alien, but which is not directly connected to the films in the Alien franchise. According to Scott, though the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", and takes place in the same universe, Prometheus will explore its own mythology and ideas.

It sounds like it has ties to the Alien franchise, but is not a direct prequel and instead follows its own story within the Alien universe.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 07, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »

The UK movie magazine Empire has a nice spread on the film, including interviews with Ridley Scott and the cast (most Barnes & Noble have it). Basically, the movie is inspired by that "space jockey" you see in Alien and the riff is off of that -- who is it, what's their story,  etc. -- not off of face huggers, chest bursters and what not. Scott (now 74; he was about 40 at the time Alien was filmed in 1978) said he was surprised the various sequels never bothered to chase that particular plot thread.

The script's co-written by Lost's executive producer Damon Lindelof.

According to Collider, it is getting an R-rating (which Scott indicated in the Empire review is what the movie "should" have):

Movie Ticket Reveals Ridley Scott’s PROMETHEUS Will Be Rated R
http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/

I saw a very different (maybe older?) Prometheus trailer at an AMC ETX showing of The Avengers Sunday. This one was a bit like the original Alien's trailer, with the parts of the word "Prometheus" gradually forming as various scenes played.

This official fan site has a ton of info (they try to mark anything there that's spoiler-ish):
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:03:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 07, 2012, 12:24:31 PM

The official site btw (they try to mark anything there that's spoiler-ish):
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/

That's not the official site, it's a fan site. The only official site is the Facebook page and the Weyland Industries page.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »

New stuff on the Weyland page:

https://www.weylandindustries.com/security
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »

Collider got official confirmation of the R-rating:
http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/
20th Century Fox has confirmed Prometheus will be rated R for “sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.”

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »

Prometheus may have killed the At the Mountains of Madness:

Del Toro took to the boards of his official fansite DelToroFilms.com to explain his new stance on AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, and, if you were holding your breath that the film might eventually get back on track, it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon, if at all.

I have been interviewed about this lately and wanted to post my two cents about this:

Prometheus started filming a while ago- right at the time we were in preproduction on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause- knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella.

This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause -if not the demise- of ATMOM.

The sad part is- I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now- and, well, fter Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.

The good part is: One project did... And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received.

What specifically though about PROMETHEUS has nixed AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS?

Same premise. Scenes that would be almost identical.

Want more details?

POTENTIAL SPOILER IF YOU HAVE READ AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Both movies seem to share identical set pieces and the exact same BIG REVELATION (twist) at the end. I won't spoil it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »

EW has a big old photo gallery of new pix from Prometheus:

'Prometheus': EW Exclusive Pics! (17 in all)
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20594662,00.html
*Didn't notice anything spoiler-y. Some are from the movie, some are behind the scenes, and some are cast mugging for the camera.

Believe it's the cover story in the latest issue. I should have it today, maybe tomorrow.

Playing
PC
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »

I will put this question in spoiler tags since the movie isn't out yet.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why is Michael Fassbender wearing a helmet on the planet?  Even if it was an unbreakable environment it shouldn't matter to him.  Or is it another use of the "we don't know he is a robot" plot device they used in the first film.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:06:25 PM by farley2k » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on May 11, 2012, 09:04:43 PM

I will put this question in spoiler tags since the movie isn't out yet.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why is Michael Fassbender wearing a helmet on the planet?  Even if it was an unbreakable environment it shouldn't matter to him.  Or is it another use of the "we don't know he is a robot" plot device they used in the first film.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm just guessing, but since Ash turning out to be a "synthetic" in Alien comes as a shocking surprise to the crew, and Prometheus is set before Alien chronologically, perhaps Fassbender's character's artificialness is also going to be a revelation to the crew in some way.

My other thought is Fassbender is supposed to be more of a "synthetic android" emulating humans closely, rather than say, C3PO. Otherwise why would Ash and Bishop (Aliens) be full of milky white fluids and almost human-like internal plumbing, rather than just circuit boards, metal skeletons and hinges? So it may be they design him to breathe like a human and require oxygen and atmospheric/environmental/climate protection just like a human.

Just don't expect Fassbender's head to get knocked off with a fire extinguisher.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »

EW did a massively long interview with Prometheus co-writer Damon Lindelof (Lost). If you'd rather stay in the dark about the movie totally, you probably shouldn't read it. I found it pretty fascinating. He tries to explain whether it is or isn't an Alien prequel, and I'm not sure I understand that any better now having read it.   smirk confused

But if you're sick of wondering about various things, some of those are answered a bit.  icon_smile The link:

Playing
PC
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »

great article - there is nothing more or less to be said.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

Currently 89% at rotten tomatoes
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »

going to go and see this in the morning

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »

I only read the bottom line of Hollywood Reporter's positive-but-not-entirely-enthusiastic review. Not really spoiler-ish but just in case you really don't wanna know someone's general take on it yet.

Hollywood Reporter's Bottom Line
Spoiler for Hiden:
"A visually stunning return to science fiction by Ridley Scott caters too much to audience expectations when more imaginative boldness would have taken it further."
If that's really the case, I'll be a bit surprised. I think whether you think that's a good or bad take on it will depend on your expectations. Am I being vague enough?  icon_smile

Playing
PC
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 31, 2012, 08:17:42 PM

going to go and see this in the morning

I'll be seeing it after work tomorrow. Looking forward to it. smile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: