http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 10:38:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Prometheus (previously Alien the Prequel)  (Read 18493 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 17, 2012, 07:28:46 PM

Personally I'd rank the 4 films as follows:  Alien > Aliens >> Alien 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alien Resurrection   icon_biggrin

my rankings for the series:  Aliens > Alien.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »

I can understand the hate, but I liked Alien: Res far more than I did Alien 3.  At least it was somewhat imaginative instead of formulaic and tired.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »

I thought the first 2/3 of Alien:Res was pretty decent. The last 1/3 was flat out TERRIBLE.

I actually have to go back and watch Alien3 someday. I recall little of it by now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »

Our family is growing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gEO3lmVy-tU

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »

Full new trailer.  It's awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2012, 12:56:35 AM »

Wow. I am excited for that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »

Quote from: Jiffy on March 18, 2012, 12:56:35 AM

Wow. I am excited for that.

thumbsup
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2012, 05:50:22 AM »

Whoa, that's not what I was expecting.  In on day one for sure.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

Watching the trailer and going slow-motion in bits, it's pretty certain there's aliens at work here.  There appears to be an HR Giger painting/sculpture on one of the walls.  Also there looks to be a chest burster held over a human body at one point too.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »

Also another short trailer with some new stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7Z3pqJ4dY&feature=player_embedded
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »

I will say it's a testament to man's ingenuity that in the future Charlize Theron will be able to keep ample supplies of make up and a stylist companion for long space journeys.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 18, 2012, 04:00:02 PM

Watching the trailer and going slow-motion in bits, it's pretty certain there's aliens at work here.  There appears to be an HR Giger painting/sculpture on one of the walls.  Also there looks to be a chest burster held over a human body at one point too.

I'm not sure how they can even be pretending any more.   The gunner from the first movie is in it.  Full on.  Not to mention his ship, which is seen crashing.

Plus the screechy music at the end is extremely reminiscent of the original Alien trailer.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:16:21 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 18, 2012, 06:14:28 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 18, 2012, 04:00:02 PM

Watching the trailer and going slow-motion in bits, it's pretty certain there's aliens at work here.  There appears to be an HR Giger painting/sculpture on one of the walls.  Also there looks to be a chest burster held over a human body at one point too.

I'm not sure how they can even be pretending any more.   The gunner from the first movie is in it.  Full on.  Not to mention his ship, which is seen crashing.

Plus the screechy music at the end is extremely reminiscent of the original Alien trailer.

Yep, for sure.  I wasn't sure if there would be variations of the alien life-cycle in this one though and it looks to be clear that there is.  Can't wait!!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess what's going on in this movie right here, right now:

Spoiler for Hiden:
An alien race (the space jockeys) is trying to exterminate all races it considers a potential threat to itself. A signal is sent across the universe to attract those races advanced enough to seek it out. Once they arrive, the aliens do something to obtain the location of their home planet (probably some kind of brain extraction) and then sends a warship laden with bioweapons in the form of xenomorphs to wipe out the entire planet. The crew on the ship sent to seek out the alien signal discovers the plan and desperately tries to stop the ship before it can reach Earth. In the end they deliberately free one of the xenomorphs, which kills the space jockey and crashes the ship on an unknown, barren planet. The survivors then head home and tell their story, which leads directly into Alien, where Weyland-Yutani is trying to rediscover the location of the planet where the ship crashed to obtain the xenomorph for themselves.

Any better theories? smile
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 18, 2012, 06:14:28 PM

icon_lol  From the comments section for the Alien trailer:

Maybe not in space, but everyone else in the audience heard me scream.

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 18, 2012, 07:05:59 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess what's going on in this movie right here, right now:

Spoiler for Hiden:
An alien race (the space jockeys) is trying to exterminate all races it considers a potential threat to itself. A signal is sent across the universe to attract those races advanced enough to seek it out. Once they arrive, the aliens do something to obtain the location of their home planet (probably some kind of brain extraction) and then sends a warship laden with bioweapons in the form of xenomorphs to wipe out the entire planet. The crew on the ship sent to seek out the alien signal discovers the plan and desperately tries to stop the ship before it can reach Earth. In the end they deliberately free one of the xenomorphs, which kills the space jockey and crashes the ship on an unknown, barren planet. The survivors then head home and tell their story, which leads directly into Alien, where Weyland-Yutani is trying to rediscover the location of the planet where the ship crashed to obtain the xenomorph for themselves.

Me thinks you're right in terms of the 'gist' of it all.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 18, 2012, 04:21:11 PM

I will say it's a testament to man's ingenuity that in the future Charlize Theron will be able to keep ample supplies of make up and a stylist companion for long space journeys.

Yep, I was under the impression that she would be the Ripley-like character in this film, but from that most recent trailer it's looking like the other actress will play a character more along those lines. Theron has such a clean, pale look that I'm starting to wonder if her character might actually be an android? I'm just sayin...    paranoid
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 18, 2012, 08:05:16 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 18, 2012, 04:21:11 PM

Yep, I was under the impression that she would be the Ripley-like character in this film, but from that most recent trailer it's looking like the other actress will play a character more along those lines. Theron has such a clean, pale look that I'm starting to wonder if her character might actually be an android? I'm just sayin...    paranoid

Not really a spoiler because it's already been said?  But in tags anyway.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fassbender is the android, David.

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2012, 04:05:41 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Love it!  nod

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:45 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 17, 2012, 07:28:46 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 17, 2012, 05:07:55 AM

But the big point here is that Alien and Aliens are two entirely different movies.  Different genres.  The first is a horror movie, plain and simple.  In space.  The second is pure action.  There's tension in both of them, but it's decidedly different kinds of tension.  

I can understand someone liking one over the other, depending on which side of the genre divide your interest lies.

Well said and I agree this is why more often than not you see the 1st or 2nd favored over the other.  I personally preferred the 1st movie and that's because I prefer the SciFi-horror genre over SciFi-Action. That said, I did still very much enjoy the 2nd film and I consider Weaver's performance in it to be one of the best by a women in the SciFi and Fantasy genres to date.

Personally I'd rank the 4 films as follows:  Alien > Aliens >> Alien 3 > Series Ended  icon_biggrin

there, ftfy. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on March 19, 2012, 04:05:41 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Love it!  nod

I need to rewatch Alien (especially since I picked up the blu ray edition a few months ago on the cheap) but I was under the impression (probably falsely) that the wreck the Nostromo found was very, very old?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »

One thing I'm starting to wonder about is if we will actually see any xenomorphs in this film.  Which could explain the insistence that it's not really an Alien prequel in the sense that they don't want the masses lining up only to be disappointed by the decided lack of acid blood.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »

There must be a xenomorph, or at least a facehugger, in this movie. We already know from Alien that the space jockey was infected and had a chestburster force its way out of it. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 19, 2012, 02:51:42 PM

There must be a xenomorph, or at least a facehugger, in this movie. We already know from Alien that the space jockey was infected and had a chestburster force its way out of it.  

There are definitely alien sculptures.  You can see it in the trailer.  There also appears to be a chestburster in the trailer in the pod.  Not sure what else that could be yet.  I'm thinking we're going to see how the xenos are "created".
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 19, 2012, 02:55:47 PM

I'm thinking we're going to see how the xenos are "created".

Yeah, the trailer definitely implies this.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »

International version

http://youtu.be/GjovCWtfTYA

Enough to get me pretty excited.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 19, 2012, 03:09:20 PM

International version

http://youtu.be/GjovCWtfTYA

Enough to get me pretty excited.

thumbsup thumbsup
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 19, 2012, 02:55:47 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 19, 2012, 02:51:42 PM

There are definitely alien sculptures.  You can see it in the trailer.  There also appears to be a chestburster in the trailer in the pod.  Not sure what else that could be yet.  I'm thinking we're going to see how the xenos are "created".

The look of it could be attributed to the giant race, not the Aliens.  As for the gunner, I don't know.  It may be that the gunner is not the same one we saw in Alien.  It could be that this movie is entirely about that race, with an idea (maybe as TiLT mentions, eliminating possible threats) that makes connecting the dots to Alien much easier.

All this time, I've been thinking they were being coy about the Alien connection because they wanted it to be a surprise, but now I'm wondering if they haven't been downplaying for a reason.

And a good reason, too.  With this new trailer, my expectations are high.  I honestly will be a little disappointed if I'm right.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »

I'm trying to remember the last time we had a good old sci fi flick (other than aliens and predators) in which the aliens were actually creatures that we see, and not represented by humans being taken over by alien consciousnesses or otherwise influenced by aliens we never get to see, or shapeshifters that spend most of their time looking human.  I want an alien race we see and learn about, dang it!   icon_biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 19, 2012, 04:19:15 PM

I'm trying to remember the last time we had a good old sci fi flick (other than aliens and predators) in which the aliens were actually creatures that we see, and not represented by humans being taken over by alien consciousnesses or otherwise influenced by aliens we never get to see, or shapeshifters that spend most of their time looking human.  I want an alien race we see and learn about, dang it!   icon_biggrin

District 9, for one.
Super 8

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 19, 2012, 05:14:16 PM

District 9, for one.
Super 8

I was going to reply Super 8 but we don't really learn about the alien race.

there was Avatar though biggrin

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:29 PM »

Avatar actually would be a good example of learning about a race.  It's just that they weren't terribly interesting.  District 9 I could understand, but they kind of explained them away as an alien slave race and didn't really explore their culture or past in any meaningful way.  Super 8 was just a midget godzilla with telepathy. 

Still, they're all much better than the commonly used cliche of having some mysterious, unseen alien menace (or non-menace, in some cases) that controls human minds which seems to be the rage (Event Horizon, Sphere, Ghosts of Mars, etc. etc. etc.).

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »

AMC Theater's Youtube posting of the trailer had this description:

In the distant future, two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system's natural resources. When one side dispatches a team to a distant planet to terraform it for human colonization, the team discovers an indigenous race of bio-mechanoid killers.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 19, 2012, 07:04:09 PM

AMC Theater's Youtube posting of the trailer had this description:

In the distant future, two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system's natural resources. When one side dispatches a team to a distant planet to terraform it for human colonization, the team discovers an indigenous race of bio-mechanoid killers.

That sounds nothing like what the trailers are indicating.   icon_confused

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »

As someone on another forum noted - The two superpowers, Weyland and Yutani?

A new one
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 19, 2012, 07:12:06 PM

As someone on another forum noted - The two superpowers, Weyland and Yutani?

That's what I was thinking.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »

Trailer shot-by-shot breakdown:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/prometheus-trailer-breakdown-2
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2012, 01:05:38 AM »

Interesting take on the trailer there. One thing that I caught in the trailer was that the man looking over the falls with the grey/blue stuff on him was actually moving under his skin - or on top of his skin. It was most noticeable on the back of his skull in the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2012, 04:05:49 AM »

Cloverfield. We didn't see much of them, but they were some weird freakin aliens. Of course there's many who didn't think much of that film, but I went in with zero  expectations and was pleasantly surprised. A decent aliens/monsters from outerspace flick IMO.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »

Quote from: Roman on March 20, 2012, 01:05:38 AM

Interesting take on the trailer there. One thing that I caught in the trailer was that the man looking over the falls with the grey/blue stuff on him was actually moving under his skin - or on top of his skin. It was most noticeable on the back of his skull in the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually didn't catch that when i first saw the trailer,but caught it when i watched the trailer on youtube later through the Xbox 360 app on my big TV...it helped that the video was HD as well(and i recommend doing that to all who haven't!!)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: