http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 01:15:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Prometheus (previously Alien the Prequel)  (Read 17024 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »

new pic:

I just rewatched Alien for the first time in quite a bit, and I'm wondering if they're going to replicate the style of tech that was in the movie.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »

That makes me think of this...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »

For me, it's this:

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 15, 2012, 06:03:21 PM

For me, it's this:

Definitely. The alien ship from the first Alien had the same kind of curvy ribcage-look to it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 15, 2012, 06:19:39 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 15, 2012, 06:03:21 PM

For me, it's this:

Definitely. The alien ship from the first Alien had the same kind of curvy ribcage-look to it.

That chair is in the trailer for Prometheus.  It's the same ship.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2012, 04:50:45 PM

I just rewatched Alien for the first time in quite a bit, and I'm wondering if they're going to replicate the style of tech that was in the movie.

That's what i mentioned i was worried about on the last page

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 22, 2011, 07:43:49 PM

One thing i am going to bring up here which bothers me a little but not enough that i am going to avoid the movie or anything like that,is when they make a prequel to an old film they update it,those space suits look cool and the electronics etc,why couldn't they of made it so it really did look pre 'Alien' era....i had the same complaint about Star Trek:Enterprise,it just didn't feel like pre the first lot

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2012, 06:13:16 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 16, 2012, 12:16:08 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2012, 04:50:45 PM

That's what i mentioned i was worried about on the last page

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 22, 2011, 07:43:49 PM

One thing i am going to bring up here which bothers me a little but not enough that i am going to avoid the movie or anything like that,is when they make a prequel to an old film they update it,those space suits look cool and the electronics etc,why couldn't they of made it so it really did look pre 'Alien' era....i had the same complaint about Star Trek:Enterprise,it just didn't feel like pre the first lot

The people in the first Alien movie were civilian truckers, more or less, so their equipment was pretty rough and shoddy. We don't know anything about the people in Prometheus yet (or do we?), so for all we know they could be military or a better funded private company.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »

That picture on the top of the page looks very very photoshopped - she has been placed in front of the background from something else it seems.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »

Doesn't look photoshopped to me. However, it does look like a backdrop where they're using different lighting for her, and different lighting for the set. It could be compositing though, but I doubt they'd do that for a simple scene.

The reason why it looks a bit fake is that she's got more color and clarity than the rest of the background, but that's kind normal for movies, even without compositing. The background is out of focus, and she also want to put more color into the human, especially an attractive women who looks distressed.

Meanwhile, because of the nature of the background, they have to make sure not to light that with too much color or clarity so that it stays mostly shadowed, with lots of blacks to hide scary details in.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2012, 03:40:02 AM »

Everything we know about the Space Jockeys (so far...)

http://io9.com/5879560/everything-we-know-about-ridley-scotts-space-jockeys
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »

very cool read-thanks for posting. Always wondered what that 'jockey' was or where it came from.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »

international teaser trailer: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xopwwk_prometheus-international-teaser-trailer-1-vo-hd_shortfilms

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 16, 2012, 08:55:58 PM

Looks like nothing new except no words in the middle of the screen now?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »

A speech by someone we all semi know. http://blog.ted.com/TED2023/

Really, really awesome delivery - and I'm told TED means something specific to you americans?

A new one
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »

yup.  it's a collection of short speeches on various subjects.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2012, 03:09:11 PM »

teaser for the new trailer due out Saturday.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 12, 2012, 03:09:11 PM

teaser for the new trailer due out Saturday.

drool drool drool drool drool drool drool drool drool drool
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »

It's great to see that Scott doesn't need to cast Crowe in everything he does.  I'm really looking forward to this as I've felt that Scott had found a comfortable niche in historical epics and he was just coasting along at this point in his career.  But these trailers and the mystery surrounding the story gives me hope that he's dusting off his "visionary directory" feather and about to put it back in his cap.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2012, 04:16:35 PM »

I am actually a little tired of the "trailer for the trailer" thing.  Just give me the trailer.  I know hype is important but once was cute, doing it a second time it just annoying.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 12, 2012, 04:16:35 PM

I am actually a little tired of the "trailer for the trailer" thing.  Just give me the trailer.  I know hype is important but once was cute, doing it a second time it just annoying.

I agree, but still can't resist!  drool drool drool
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

Oh, I watched it - a couple times, but it didn't get me fired up enough that I will be scouring the web Saturday for the real trailer.  I will be happy to wait.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »

I'm actually enjoying the William Castle aspects of the film's promotional blitz.  I think showmanship is somewhat missing from today's PR work in Hollywood.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »

Will not watch any more footage from the film until it opens in June. Making trailers for trailers is just absurd.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »

Thought you guys might enjoy this:
Watch a Live Q&A and Trailer Premiere with Director Ridley Scott
Saturday, March 17 at 4:15 p.m. PST

Ridley Scott, director of Alien and Blade Runner, will be live at AMC Downtown Disney 12 in California to answer fan questions and reveal the latest trailer from his highly anticipated sci-fi thriller Prometheus.

The event will be hosted by Damon Lindelof, executive producer and co-writer of Prometheus, also known for writing and producing the popular sci-fi show Lost.
I suspect the answer to all questions regarding any connection with Alien or Aliens will be "no comment."  Roll Eyes

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »

Today a quasi-government employee in a snappy uniform delivered the Alien and Aliens DVDs to my door. Wife's going out of town for the weekend. This will be the first time I've seen these movies since their original theatrical run...I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with them. Alone, in a darkened room. Will be interesting to see if they can get me fired up for this new prequel.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 14, 2012, 07:53:34 PM

Today a quasi-government employee in a snappy uniform delivered the Alien and Aliens DVDs to my door. Wife's going out of town for the weekend. This will be the first time I've seen these movies since their original theatrical run...I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with them. Alone, in a darkened room. Will be interesting to see if they can get me fired up for this new prequel.

I watch Aliens every few months and it's still real good!
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »

Our son and 2 friends watched Aliens this weekend. I came down about 1/4 of the way through and thoroughly enjoyed watching them hide behind their hands/fingers at times. My son's eyes almost poped out of his head  eek when the alien came up behind Newt when she was in the water waiting to be rescued by Ripley and Hicks.
I was 13 when my parents snuck me into the theater to see it - an experience that I will never forget  nod

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »

I just rewatched Alien and Aliens as well. Such tremendously excellent films, and so different the tone in the two of them. I still enjoy Aliens more, but Alien slowly seems to be getting better and better in my mind with time. The sense of dread, terror and not knowing in the first movie is just superb.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »

I rewatched the three first movies a month or two ago (I've seen all of them at least 3 times each by now, though I lost count ages ago). It reinforced my opinion that Alien is the best of the three, followed by a distant Alien 3 and an even more distant Aliens. I just never could stand Aliens. It's filled with almost nothing but unlikeable characters (the best part about them is watching them die just so I don't have to listen to their shit any more), incredibly weak sound effects and aliens that suddenly aren't anywhere near as frightening as the one in the first movie. The section with the queen is good (and the first 15 minutes or so of the movie), but I had to suffer my way through the rest of the movie to get there.

Yeah I know. You don't agree. Deal with it. This is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

VERY much looking forward to Prometheus.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 16, 2012, 10:57:07 PM

I rewatched the three first movies a month or two ago (I've seen all of them at least 3 times each by now, though I lost count ages ago). It reinforced my opinion that Alien is the best of the three, followed by a distant Alien 3 and an even more distant Aliens. I just never could stand Aliens. It's filled with almost nothing but unlikeable characters (the best part about them is watching them die just so I don't have to listen to their shit any more), incredibly weak sound effects and aliens that suddenly aren't anywhere near as frightening as the one in the first movie. The section with the queen is good (and the first 15 minutes or so of the movie), but I had to suffer my way through the rest of the movie to get there.

Yeah I know. You don't agree. Deal with it. This is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

VERY much looking forward to Prometheus.

Unlikeable characters????  * head explode *
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 16, 2012, 11:13:51 PM

Unlikeable characters????  * head explode *

The only likeable ones were the people still left alive during the queen fight. The rest were complete douchebags.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2012, 11:34:52 PM »

They were space marines, not the joy luck club.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 16, 2012, 11:34:52 PM

I don't care who they were. If they annoy and repulse me as a viewer while the director wants me to root for them as heroes, something has gone wrong at some point in the process. There are great movie characters that are likeable, and there are great movie characters that are unlikeable. Aliens has great characters that are likeable and a much larger amount of shitty characters that are unlikeable. They just suck all the fun and energy out of the movie for me.

I honestly don't see what the big appeal is with Aliens due to my issues with the characters and certain other aspects of it. When I rewatched the movie I was actually looking forward to giving it a new chance with a reasonably fresh perspective, but it took less than 30 minutes for me to hate almost every single character's guts again, and not in a good way.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2012, 12:20:01 AM »

Just because YOU didn't like the characters doesn't mean they were unlikeable.  The fault lies with you, not the movie.  As you say, it's your opinion.

I liked almost every one of them myself...and judging by the love that most people give it (it's widely considered one of the few sequels that as good as, if not better than, the original) I'm not alone in that regard.  Most of the characters were battle hardened soldiers so I was able to excuse them if they forgot to curtsy when Ripley entered the room.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:22:54 AM by hepcat » Logged

Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2012, 01:53:31 AM »

Aliens is one of my favorite movies of all time. 

"This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training."

"WHY DON'T YOU PUT HER IN CHARGE!?"

Unlikeable characters.  Psch.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2012, 03:18:57 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 16, 2012, 11:34:52 PM

They were 2D stereotypes, and not even very well acted. Especially the macho chick, the shell-shocked kid, the inept commander, and the evil corporate dude. The only sympathetic characters were Ripley, the android, and the one marine who eventually takes charge. I could have done without the little screaming girl entirely.

I enjoyed the first movie much more, with its great blend of sf and horror. Some of the fx don't hold up so well, and all the smoking and perms and primitive computers on CRT screens are anachronistic, but you can overlook those things easily enough. Plus, young Sigourney in her underwear. And a cat.

Maybe I shouldn't have watched the directors cut of Aliens, as it seemed overlong. I can see why action movie fans would prefer it. I am not one of those and did not enjoy the many gratuitous scenes of things exploding and burning. It's still a good film overall, just weaker in the suspense department. I didn't know that "Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure" was from this movie...got a chuckle out of that. Older Sigourney in her underwear, not so much.

They both deserve their reputations as classics, but the original was more to my liking. Anyway, I am now looking forward to this new film.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2012, 05:07:55 AM »

I can see the point about the aliens being not as frightening as in the first movie.  That bothered me at first.  However, the crew on the Nostromo were not equipped to deal with anything like what they encountered.  The marines were marines with big ass guns.  And they still got their asses kicked.

But the big point here is that Alien and Aliens are two entirely different movies.  Different genres.  The first is a horror movie, plain and simple.  In space.  The second is pure action.  There's tension in both of them, but it's decidedly different kinds of tension. 

I can understand someone liking one over the other, depending on which side of the genre divide your interest lies.

However, I think it was a brilliant move to not just make Aliens another horror film.  That route would have lead to Jason and Freddy territory quickly (as opposed to slowly, which I guess kind of happened).  Frankly, it's nearly impossible to make horror sequels that work, as the unknown of the first film starts from a place of familiarity in the second.  Not to say it can't be done, of course.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »

I agree. You look at Aliens 3 and see the attempt at going back to the original with a horror theme. It feels tired, with a "been there done that" feeling. Cameron taking Aliens into the action realm was a great idea. The movie still holds up today.

Sent from Tapatalk
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »

Cameron has said Aliens was inspired by war movies, not horror movies.  I don't compare with Alien because of that.  I was just responding to the assertion that none of the characters were likeable and that it was a horrible movie.  As bull says, i believe Cameron did the right thing by shifting the genre in the sequel.  A brilliant move, imho.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 17, 2012, 05:07:55 AM

But the big point here is that Alien and Aliens are two entirely different movies.  Different genres.  The first is a horror movie, plain and simple.  In space.  The second is pure action.  There's tension in both of them, but it's decidedly different kinds of tension.  

I can understand someone liking one over the other, depending on which side of the genre divide your interest lies.

Well said and I agree this is why more often than not you see the 1st or 2nd favored over the other.  I personally preferred the 1st movie and that's because I prefer the SciFi-horror genre over SciFi-Action. That said, I did still very much enjoy the 2nd film and I consider Weaver's performance in it to be one of the best by a women in the SciFi and Fantasy genres to date.

Personally I'd rank the 4 films as follows:  Alien > Aliens >> Alien 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alien Resurrection   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:30:37 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: