http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:12:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Prometheus (previously Alien the Prequel)  (Read 21271 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »

wasn't Cameron involved on this WITH Ridley Scott at one time?

i for one,am looking forward to seeing Ridley Scott with the Alien Franchise again,but have mixed feelings with finally uncovering the Space Jockey's origin,i kinda liked being in the dark about all that,it was more interesting wondering what the hell it was

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »

Well, it's certainly a much better idea than I was afraid they might pull out of their hats.  Visions of Aliens 3 were dancing through my head...but this time with bikers. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »

SAMCRO vs Aliens!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2010, 06:54:57 PM

SAMCRO vs Aliens!

I take it back...I DO want to see that.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2010, 06:54:57 PM

SAMCRO vs Aliens!

haven't we had Ron Pearlman in Alien Resurrection though?...although i will certainly go along with pretending that Alien 4 didn't happen icon_biggrin

so,do we have any names for this Alien Prequel yet?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 10:54:53 PM »

Alien: The First Trimester
Alien: Please Ignore 3 & 4
4L13Nz

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 23, 2010, 06:19:19 PM

i for one,am looking forward to seeing Ridley Scott with the Alien Franchise again,but have mixed feelings with finally uncovering the Space Jockey's origin,i kinda liked being in the dark about all that,it was more interesting wondering what the hell it was

I'm with you on that, mate.  Even with Scott on board I'm not thrilled at the prospect of a prequel explaining that kind of stuff.  It would destroy that whole scene in Alien.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

i hope they leave it the hell alone and spend most of the time showing how deceitful and evil weyland is with weaponizing the species. 

of course, had they just bothered to follow the dark horse comics arcs instead of the crap we got, all would be right with the universe. 

how the hell we ended up with 'bald and unarmed' and 'why aliens and humans can never have kids'.

never mind the crossovers.  :barf

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 23, 2010, 11:27:49 PM

i hope they leave it the hell alone and spend most of the time showing how deceitful and evil weyland is with weaponizing the species. 

of course, had they just bothered to follow the dark horse comics arcs instead of the crap we got, all would be right with the universe. 

how the hell we ended up with 'bald and unarmed' and 'why aliens and humans can never have kids'.

never mind the crossovers.  :barf

You make me want to read the comics.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 11:42:12 PM »

can't recommend them enough.  the books are also easy to pick and read quickly.

start with the first three listed here.

i've only read the first 4 or 5 and two of the avp novels (not movie tie-ins and again, much better than the movies)

if you can get the graphic novels, go for it. 

the books are easily found pretty cheap at used book stores.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 23, 2010, 10:10:08 PM

so,do we have any names for this Alien Prequel yet?

When Harry Met Sally?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »

is that picture of Sally from the infamous 'Cafe scene' ? icon_lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »

not one prequel...but two

Ridley Scott doing a Hobbit for the Alien Prequel

although this doesn't excite me
And almost inevitably, the film will shoot in 3D

i am sick to the teeth of this reborn 3D already

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 26, 2010, 04:20:58 PM

I think we'll see a difference in 3D with films incorporating it from day one of the shoot as opposed to films tacking it on.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 26, 2010, 04:29:17 PM

I think we'll see a difference in 3D with films incorporating it from day one of the shoot as opposed to films tacking it on.

Expect 3D films to become the norm by the end of this decade. Since audiences aren't bothering to go to the movies anymore unless it's 3D, this will become the norm.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 06:48:07 PM »

i don't agree with that.  hollywood is rushing to jam 3D into every release coming down the pike and I think we'll see a backlash at some point due to all the incredibly bad versions that come out of that puppy mill. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 26, 2010, 04:31:55 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 26, 2010, 04:29:17 PM

Expect 3D films to become the norm by the end of this decade. Since audiences aren't bothering to go to the movies anymore unless it's 3D, this will become the norm.

I sincerely hope it wont...also, where do get that audiences arent bothering to to go to movies unless its 3D from? Thin air? There's been plenty of blockbusters that wasnt 3D over the last 10 years...

The few movies OTHer than Avatar that has been 3D has recieved lackluster recievement of their 3D version from reviewers (Words like "Tacked on" come to mind)

Edit: after thinking about it a bit, what I get from family and friends (anecdotal, I know but anyways) is that at least here in denmark, movies are damn expensive to go to, and the 3D version even more so. A normal movie costs around 16 bucks per person, 3 hour movies around 20 dollars..this is without candy and so on of course. The 3d version is around 25 dollars a person..waaay to expesnive, and I really think THAT will kill the moviebusiness faster than anything else.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:04:21 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »

I understand why you're all incredulous. But 3D is the future of cinema. It's unavoidable, really. Think of the holodeck in 'Star Trek:Next Gen'. Again, studios and entertainment companies will continue to figure out ways to draw large audiences to movie theaters. 3D's the ticket to that.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »

Well, there's quite a difference between the holodeck and a 3D film.  I can't be arsed with 3D, I have zero interest in it.  I very rarely go to the cinema anyway; among other reasons it's too expensive, and 3D is even more expensive.

Steam profile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 26, 2010, 08:46:12 PM

Well, there's quite a difference between the holodeck and a 3D film.  I can't be arsed with 3D, I have zero interest in it.  I very rarely go to the cinema anyway; among other reasons it's too expensive, and 3D is even more expensive.

That's me, too...but as you just explained, we aren't the target consumers for theaters. The demographics that are currently paying big bucks for movie tickets (mainly young people on dates and parents of small children, it seems to me) are willing to pay a few extra dollars for a thrill ride.

As long as the 3D effect doesn't overwhelm good storytelling and cinematography, people like you and I will still be content to rent 2D movies at home. This generation of 3D tech is better than the old red/blue acetate, but it's still not good enough to justify the higher price and the discomfort of wearing a second pair of glasses.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 31, 2009, 09:12:28 PM

I would've liked to see an Alien prequel that focused on someone discovering their homeworld and history.  Barring that, I would've liked to see a sequel dealing with Ripley's cat returning to earth in the late 70's via a wormhole and becoming the basis for Disney's The Cat from Outer Space.

I would pay one gold bar to see this.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »

as Huw,says here in the UK,its getting damn expensive to go to the cinema..if i could afford it i would always go,but audiences have been dropping off for a while now....some people just pick up a pirate copy for a fiver down the market

3D films is another way to tackle Piracy(unless they have figured that one out as well)

also to note that everytime you go to the cinema to see a 3D film,you have to pony up for a new pair of 3D glasses,that for Avatar was a third of the cinema ticket in the UK.....and then they wanted you to recycle the glasses by throwing them away into special bins....i kept mine,next time maybe i can get out of buying another pair somehow

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2010, 05:55:35 AM »

Yeah, everyone I know grumbles about having to pay for new glasses everytime they go see a 3D movie, no matter if they have some.

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »

Thread resurrection for an update - according to this article, it's now being rumored that Natalie Portman will play the main protagonist.

Now [Ridley] Scott is hard at work putting together a prequel to his classic, and word out of Hollywood is that Natalie Portman may be signing on to steer the ship....The new movie takes place about 35 years before Scott's first Alien and the lead role is a female Colonial Marine general - the part Scott wants Portman to play.

One major difference between Scott's prequel and the various Alien sequels Fox made after it, is that the new picture will return to the genre roots of the original. 'The later Aliens movies were action movies, but the original Alien was a horror-suspense film,' says an insider. 'This returns the franchise to its roots.'

The 1st film was my favorite, so I'm glad to hear that early rumors about this prequel being a horror-suspense plot along those lines is panning out. Normally I'd be OUT just on the premise of it being a prequel to a series that's already seen 3 sequels -1 truly terrible- but Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors and I thought Portman was excellent in V for Vendetta. One of my hesitations about her in that role though is that she seems a bit young to be playing a Marine General. This is giving me some hope that it might be a decent flick, but it won't be a film I rush out to see until I've read some reviews.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:46:20 PM by kronovan » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 13, 2010, 05:36:46 PM

One of my hesitations about her in that role though is that she seems a bit young to be playing a Marine General.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time picturing that.  Still, she's proven herself to be a good, versatile actress so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

This is giving me some hope that it might be a decent flick, but it won't be a film I rush out to see until I've read some reviews.

I'm in on day one.  I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise (to the point of being heavily tattooed with them) and I even manage to find things to like about even the worst of the franchises movies.   

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »

I'm glad Scott is involved, but Alien screenwriter Dan O'Bannon died last year. I like Ridley Scott the director, but I don't always trust his sense about scripts (remember Legend?).

Alien didn't involve space marines at all, so it's a little odd that a prequel is supposedly going to involve them. I wouldn't expect space marines in a "non-action film" Alien film.

Frankly, there's been so many Aliens, Predators and rip-off movies and games (I love the Alien Breed games but they're so Alien-derivative, I'm suprised there's no trademark lawsuit), I think the days of a slimy alien (whether mechanical, digital effects or a guy in a suit) sticking its slimy jaws out and providing any sort of real scare for most audiences are behind us. I have no doubt Ridley could make it Look Good.

I may have said this earlier, but I'd still like to see a "re-imagined" Alien 3 where Hicks and Newt survive the trip, along with Ripley and Bishop the android. Just pretend Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection never happened, which is what I prefer to do.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 13, 2010, 07:12:29 PM

I'm glad Scott is involved, but Alien screenwriter Dan O'Bannon died last year. I like Ridley Scott the director, but I don't always trust his sense about scripts (remember Legend?).

Have you seen the original cut with the original score? MUCH much better and my initial thought when seeing it was that we missed out on a damn decent fantasy movie back in the 80s...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2010, 07:28:50 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 13, 2010, 07:20:53 PM

Have you seen the original cut with the original score? MUCH much better and my initial thought when seeing it was that we missed out on a damn decent fantasy movie back in the 80s...

is that out yet?i have been waiting for ages for Legend Directors Cut on DVD,i heard there is something like an extra 30 minutes

oh,and i liked the original version as well,Tim Curry FTW

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 13, 2010, 07:28:50 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 13, 2010, 07:20:53 PM

is that out yet?i have been waiting for ages for Legend Directors Cut on DVD,i heard there is something like an extra 30 minutes

The Directors Cut featuring Jerry Goldsmith's score is available as a feature on the most recent Universal Studios release. That DVD just has the text

"Tom Cruise"
"A Ridley Scott Film"
"LEGEND"

printed on the cover. IIRC it's the only Legend DVD that has DTS sound, so that should help confirm it.

And I agree, it's far better than the original theatrical release - night and day really.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »

I may have said this earlier, but I'd still like to see a "re-imagined" Alien 3 where Hicks and Newt survive the trip, along with Ripley and Bishop the android. Just pretend Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection never happened, which is what I prefer to do.  icon_razz

Agreed. Hell, just do a film of the Dark Horse Aliens comics. A fantastic story right there.

I'm a little confused about the space marines in the prequel. Wasn't Alien the first time humans encountered the aliens?

My hunch is saying no, because I remember some android going evil in the movie.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »

The Nostromo was deliberately rerouted to what would later be designated LV-421 by the company.  Ash's (the robot) express orders were to bring back a sample of the alien with "all other priorities rescinded." (Meaning the rest of the crew was expendable.)

So it's pretty easy to infer that since the company knew of the aliens existence then there had been previous contact.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 04:47:46 AM »

If you consider the Alien vs Predator movies canon, humanity had also come across aliens on Earth, but had been unable to secure them for study. They were just itching to find another one, and for some reason (which will probably be explained in the new movie) learned of the alien ship's location and guessed at its contents.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 05:05:24 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 14, 2010, 04:47:46 AM

If you consider the Alien vs Predator movies canon, humanity had also come across aliens on Earth, but had been unable to secure them for study. They were just itching to find another one, and for some reason (which will probably be explained in the new movie) learned of the alien ship's location and guessed at its contents.

maybe it will do a Planet of the Apes on us,the crashed Alien ship was actually from Earth millions of years ago etc etc..maybe they were scared of Dinosaurs and they took off icon_biggrin

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2010, 05:34:23 AM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 14, 2010, 12:05:41 AM

The Nostromo was deliberately rerouted to what would later be designated LV-421 by the company.  Ash's (the robot) express orders were to bring back a sample of the alien with "all other priorities rescinded." (Meaning the rest of the crew was expendable.)

So it's pretty easy to infer that since the company knew of the aliens existence then there had been previous contact.

The Nostromo is rerouted because it picks up the transmission from the derelict.  I always assumed that Ash's executive order was a standing one that had been put there just in case, so there wasn't necessarily any prior knowledge of the species.

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2010, 06:34:33 AM »

Yeah - thats my take on it as well, Huw.

Man, why do movies seem to take so damn long these days to produce? Or even to get started filming?

A new one
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2010, 05:34:23 AM

Quote from: TK-421 on October 14, 2010, 12:05:41 AM

The Nostromo is rerouted because it picks up the transmission from the derelict.  I always assumed that Ash's executive order was a standing one that had been put there just in case, so there wasn't necessarily any prior knowledge of the species.

Except that the ships main computer, Mother, had similar hidden orders.  The "investigate all signals" standing order made a convenient excuse.  Also, Ash was a last minute replacement before the Nostromo shipped out from Earth.  His orders were specifically, "Bring back life form. Priority One. All other priorities rescinded."  A standing order to investigate all signals does not necessarily lead to finding new life forms so why that specific line about bringing back a life form?  So that means the company had a pretty damned good idea of what they, specifically the crew of the Nostromo would find.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2010, 01:27:28 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 14, 2010, 12:17:52 PM

A standing order to investigate all signals does not necessarily lead to finding new life forms so why that specific line about bringing back a life form?

Not necessarily, no, but it would still make sense as a standing order.  However, I've clearly forgotten about Mother's orders so I need to go back and watch Alien again.  smile

Edit: I'd forgotten that Ash was a last-minute replacement too.  Wow, my memory of Alien is fuzzier than I thought it was.  Usually if I'm going to watch a film in the series it's Aliens; that film I could quote line for line!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:29:34 PM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Steam profile
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2010, 01:27:28 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on October 14, 2010, 12:17:52 PM

A standing order to investigate all signals does not necessarily lead to finding new life forms so why that specific line about bringing back a life form?

Not necessarily, no, but it would still make sense as a standing order.

Except it would be pretty embarrassing if they ran into race of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings (AKA: The Mice) and Ash crated one up and brought it back with him because, hey, standing orders man.  Sounds like a recipe for an intergalactic incident.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

A casting update on the film that may or may not have anything to do with the Alien franchise... confused

Guy Pearce cast in Ridley Scott's Prometheus, which still may or may not be an Alien prequel
http://www.avclub.com/articles/guy-pearce-cast-in-ridley-scotts-prometheus-which,55404/

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 02, 2011, 09:52:48 PM

A casting update on the film that may or may not have anything to do with the Alien franchise... confused

Guy Pearce cast in Ridley Scott's Prometheus, which still may or may not be an Alien prequel
http://www.avclub.com/articles/guy-pearce-cast-in-ridley-scotts-prometheus-which,55404/

I would be quite happy if Guy Pearce was in it,he was well known in the 80s in UK for his role as Mike in Neighbours(Aussie Soap for kids/young adults),so it was a surprise when he started to appear in great films like Momento and L.A Confidential...but apart from The Kings Speech he had gone a bit quiet of late(at least from my POV anyway),i think the last thing i saw him in was The Time Machine remake,which was so-so(i didn't see The Hurt Locker)

I am still not sure i want them to do the story on the 'Space Jockey',i liked the fact that you had no friggin' idea what it was

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: