http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 09:41:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albums that blew your mind  (Read 2672 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2007, 04:53:06 PM »

I picked up Opeth's Ghost Reveries recently, and realized this album is an absolute masterpiece.  It's been a long time since I've heard something that has just blown me away like this one has.  So I got thinking about other albums that have made my jaw hit the floor on first listen, and came up with a few:

1.  Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park.  If nightmares had sountracks, they would sound just like this.  Completely insane, and utterly brilliant.
2.  Metallica - ...and Justice for All.  This was really the first 'metal' album I ever heard.  Before this, I was stuck on hair metal and bad 80's pop.  This album opened my eyes to an entirely new genre, thank goodness.
3.  Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies.  I never expected this 180 degree turn they did from Dirt.  Opened up an entire side to one of my favorite bands that I never knew existed.
4.  Yasunori Mitsuda & Millenial Fair - Xenogears:  Cried.  These are pseudo-celtic remakes of the songs from Xenosaga.  Sounds cheesy, but is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.
5.  Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction.  Raw, nasty, dirty, and like nothing I'd ever heard.  And it still holds up perfectly after 20 years.
6.  Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral.  This is one of those albums where I find something new every time I listen to it.
7.  Opeth - Ghost Reveries.  See above
8.  Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle.  Any album that can combine punk, funk, ska, death metal, pop, circus music, country, 50's do-wop, and rap all within the space of a single song automatically qualifies as a true mindfuck.

I'll probably think of more, but am curious to hear some albums from the GT masses.  I need to pick up some new music anyways, and maybe I can get some ideas.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »

Only one I can think of was Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime.  I think it was the first concept album I heard.  Other albums that I loved, even on first listen, but no album ever hit me on a first try like that one.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 05:04:25 PM »

Quote from: JLu on April 23, 2007, 04:56:09 PM

Only one I can think of was Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime. 
That was the first one that popped into my head when I saw the thread title.

I'm going to add Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power.  I thought Cowboys from Hell was the epitome of "heavy" - Vulgar Display proved me so very wrong.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »

2.  Metallica - ...and Justice for All.  This was really the first 'metal' album I ever heard.  Before this, I was stuck on hair metal and bad 80's pop.  This album opened my eyes to an entirely new genre, thank goodness.

Badly produced and sans Cliff Burton, many Metallica fans consider this the beginning of the end for the band. If you haven't already, check out the far, far superior Master of Puppets.

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer in your profile.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »

Quote from: noun on April 23, 2007, 05:06:59 PM

Badly produced and sans Cliff Burton, many Metallica fans consider this the beginning of the end for the band. If you haven't already, check out the far, far superior Master of Puppets.

I'm one of the few that actually liked AJFA better than MoP.  Maybe it's just sentimental value, but the songs just click better with me for some reason.  I'd consider the Black album the beginning of the end, as it was a drastic change in both sound and song structure (i.e. the switch to radio friendly 3:00 songs).

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer in your profile.

Huh?  icon_confused

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 05:16:09 PM »

I think I am just dead inside.  I have never had music "blow my mind", nor have I ever been moved by a movie, or tv show, or book.  I look at art and see paint on a canvas, nothing more, nothing less.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:22:39 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 23, 2007, 05:16:09 PM

I think I am just dead inside.  I have never had music "blow my mind", nor have I ever been moved by a movie, or tv show, or book.  I look at art and see paint on a canvas, nothing more, nothing less.

Never?  Like, never ever?

Damn, that would suck.

helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »

Albums that blew my mind is a pretty high bar...

1.  Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon . I was 18 when someone gave me this as a B-day present.  It was the first time an album blew me away.  When you're burned out on the original, get The Easy All Stars Dub Side of the Moon

2.  Pink Floyd The Wall.  Brilliant.

3.  U2 Boy. I give it the nod because in 1981, I listened to standard American fare that filled the airwaves.  An English friend turned me onto this and I became an Anglophile in my music tastes for years.  In its day, there was no-one else who sounded like this.

4.  Bauhaus Press the Eject and Give me the Tape Haunting, high energy and atmospheric.  Again struck with the feeling "what the hell am I listening to?" and "I gotta have this" all at once.   

Saving the world one post at a time.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 23, 2007, 05:22:39 PM

Quote from: Arkon on April 23, 2007, 05:16:09 PM

I think I am just dead inside.  I have never had music "blow my mind", nor have I ever been moved by a movie, or tv show, or book.  I look at art and see paint on a canvas, nothing more, nothing less.

Never?  Like, never ever?

Damn, that would suck.

Never that I can remember.  I don't have a lot of memories from when I was a kid (under age 8 or so).  For me it is like everything is either black or white, there is no grey, there is no emotion.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »

Pink Floyd's The Wall
U2's Joshua Tree
Aimee Mann's Bachelor No. 2
Bruuuuuce Springsteen's The Rising

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »

The Wall. Still blows my mind and I've been listening to it for 20 years.

Operation Mindcrime. Just brilliant.

Appetite for Destruction.  Incredibly layered melodic music of a band that should have been one of the greatest of all time instead of what it became.

Jesus Freak.  Totally expecting more DC Talk hip hop and they flip the script and put out a rock album.  Took me a couple of listens to break free from my expectations, but man this album conquers.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 23, 2007, 04:53:06 PM

I picked up Opeth's Ghost Reveries recently, and realized this album is an absolute masterpiece.  It's been a long time since I've heard something that has just blown me away like this one has.

I told ya it was great!
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »

I'll completely agree with Appetite for Destruction.  I was even late to the show on that one- ended up getting into it about two years after it was released... and it ended up being an incredible distillation of everything rock should be.  And if you ever try playing any of it on a guitar... you just realize how insane and talented those guys are.

With Metallica, I've found everything up to and including And Justice for All to be abo-fuckin-lutely brilliant.  Every so often I'll still throw on some "Kill Em All"... there's so much damn energy in that album.  Not to bash on their Black Album, I enjoy that one as well, but didn't find it to be as much to my liking as their previous stuff.

With Nine Inch Nails, I was really impressed by "Pretty Hate Machine".  Everything else, not so much (The Downward Spiral had it's moments).

U2 really wowwed me with everything up to and including Rattle and Hum, and especially so with October and War.  While some of the things in Achtung Baby were great, some of their direction I just found really annoying, which seemed to continue onward with Zooropa and Pop... but some of the songs there still end up being brilliant (Even Better than the Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, Some Days are Better than Others, and especially Numb).

I can't fault bands for trying new things, but the risk is always that they may leave some fans behind.  Which in the balance could turn out good, since if it's done well, they can pick up new fans.  It's all an issue of musical relativity: sometimes my tastes will drift along with them, but sometimes not, and I'll end up listening to new bands with different sounds.  Like lately, I've been listening to a lot more classic punk, and have started listening to current bands who are influenced by that style (like The Donnas).

Strangely, since I played GTA: San Andreas, I've been listening to a lot more rap.  I used to like some of it before that (like NWA and Public Enemy), but since then I've been grabbing stuff I wasn't already familiar with.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 07:05:17 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 23, 2007, 06:14:52 PM

I picked up Opeth's Ghost Reveries recently, and realized this album is an absolute masterpiece.  It's been a long time since I've heard something that has just blown me away like this one has.

I told ya it was great!

Heh, I almost included a "Thanks Warning" after my original comment.  smile

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 07:16:23 PM »

I'll throw out a few.

Green Day's American Idiot.  I often say it's the best album of American Rock & Roll to be produced in the last 10 years.  I say that because it would be pretentious to call it the best rock & roll album produced anywhere, ever, which is damn close to what I believe.  The album comes together with an energy that is near perfection.

Beck's Odelay is another I couldn't stop listening to for a long time when it came out.

Paul Simon's Graceland.  I wasn't aware music like that existed.

Bruce Springsteen's The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle.  In my opinion, the Boss's best and a tremendously underrated album.

Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville.  Very very solid rock & roll.  Maybe it didn't blow my mind, but it's one of my favorite albums.

It's sad, really.  With downloadable music, it seems that record companies are getting away from "albums" as a concept, with new artists releasing individual tracks.  It's a rare thing these days when an album really comes together as a unit of musical expression.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:18:48 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »

Tool - Lateralus

Isis - In the Absence of Truth

And my other one was the already listed The Downward Spiral from Nine Inch Nails.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 07:37:32 PM »

Tool - Lateralus

I remember downloading the leak one song at a time and being blown away by just about every song.  It is the only time I have ever gotten chills from just listening to music.

Amazing record.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:43:39 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 23, 2007, 07:05:17 PM

I told ya it was great!

Now when you want to completely blow your mind pick up Opeth's Damnation album.  It's... not metal at all.  And still completely awesome.
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 07:56:59 PM »

+1 to The Wall

I'd add RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Tool- Anemia, Cream - Live Cream, and every Elliott Smith album  nod

I'll stop there, but music likes to blow my mind pretty often so there's lots more
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 23, 2007, 07:37:50 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 23, 2007, 07:05:17 PM

I told ya it was great!

Now when you want to completely blow your mind pick up Opeth's Damnation album.  It's... not metal at all.  And still completely awesome.

Already got it, and I really like it.  smile

I went on an Opeth buying binge and picked up Damnation, Deliverance, Blackwater Park (which is a pretty close second to Ghost, and Still Life. 

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 08:28:35 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 23, 2007, 07:16:23 PM

Paul Simon's Graceland.  I wasn't aware music like that existed.

Yes. Yes. And Yes.

Beautiful from start to finish. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 08:58:38 PM »

I would put Tool's Aenima as one of mine, ahead of Lateralus. 

And the same old Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and to a lesser extent The Wall. 

I'd also say White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000.  It is just such a perfect mix of heavy music with a real groove to it.  Nothing can quite get my adrenaline pumping like this album.  Add in things like organ grinder music, middle-eastern drum beats, funky wa guitar and it all adds up to awesome. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »

I was pretty much stuck in a country music rut when I was a kid, and only radio-friendly country music at that. It took a few different albums to get me to realize that there was a whole world of music that was so much better than anything that was ever played on the radio. Kevin Welch's "Western Beat", The Byrds' "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" and Gram Parsons' "GP/Grievous Angel" all had a big part in expanding my musical borders. Then it was the Pogues with "If I Should Fall from Grace with God" that opened up the world of Irish music to me.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »

Tool- Aenima
Beastie Boys- Check Your Head
Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Skinny Puppy- Cleanse, Fold And Manipulate
Ween- The Pod
NIN- Downward Spiral
Bauhaus: Mask

I'm sure I'm missing some...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 12:30:10 AM »

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (I should put Live after Death, one of the best live albums ever made, IMHO)
Black Sabbath - We Sold our Soul for Rock and Roll (Yes, I know it's a "best of", but is hasn't left my old CD player at home in years.)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning (I am also a MoP fan, but liked this a bit more)
Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster (I thought, "What is this?  Rap?  Funk?  I love it!")

The first 3 albums pretty much summed up what I considered to be the end-all and be-all of music as I was growing up.  There have been others, to be sure, abd the Bloodhound Gang I put in there because it's what opened me up to anything non-hard rock.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 01:38:01 AM »

Black Sabbath - We Sold our Soul for Rock and Roll (Yes, I know it's a "best of", but is hasn't left my old CD player at home in years.)

This is one of the greatest albums ever.  EVAR.  I have it on tape (yeah, the '80s called, I know), and it's almost worn out now.

One of the most wild things I've always marveled at with Black Sabbath was how often they change up ALL the music in the song- the beats, rhythms, ect.  So much so that, with the way things are currently done, those songs could literally be turned into about 3-5 songs each.

That's one thing I like about listening to the pioneers of different kinds of music- you see so much variety and creativity, since what we think of as the conventions of a genre didn't even exists yet.  These were pretty much guys just doing what they liked, and trying to either one-up or riff on different things done by different musicians they liked.

On that note, let me recommend McLemore Avenue by Booker T and the M.G.s, for any Beatles fan.  It's great if you like The Beatles, and it's great if you like Booker T and the M.G.s.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 03:36:20 AM »

DSOTM,
Joe Jackson's Heaven and Hell. Not your typical J.J.
stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »

A couple that come to mind:

Miles Davis--Kind of Blue. The album that sparked my interest in jazz, and still the best out there.

DJ Shadow--Entroducing. I'd never heard anything like it before. Like Kind of Blue, Entroducing opened up a whole new genre of music for me. Brilliant album.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »

As much as I like Opeth I knew what to expect when I heard them.

I had no idea what to expect when I first listened to Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys.  I was absolutely floored that a rap album was that creative, that clever, that good.  I still listen to it all the time.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »

Usually albums don't blow me away immediately.  In fact, what I find I like best usually underwhelms me on first listen.

Here are some of my classics

The Cars - Candy-O
Joy Division - Closer
ABC - The Lexicon Of Love
The Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland
Clan Of Xymox - Clan Of Xymox
Skinny Puppy - Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse
Moev - Head Down
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
British Sea Power - Open Season
Echo And The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here
OMD - Organisation
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »

Sorry for the thread necromancy.  I was just listening to Abbey Road.  That album, especially from Here Comes the Sun forward, is a fucking statment.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 07:03:00 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 07:23:13 PM »

Albums that blew my mine...So many, but i'll list a few here..

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Iced Earth - Something Wicked this Way Comes
Opeth - Damination
Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers - No More Beautiful World
Green Day - American Idiot
Neil Diamond - 12 songs
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Kiss - Destroyer
Bob Seger - Face the Promise
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion
Andrea Bocelli - Amore

Yeah, my musical tastes are all over the place.   

-Dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 09:01:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 23, 2007, 05:42:12 PM

Aimee Mann's Bachelor No. 2

Nice call! Though my mind blowing Aimee album would have to be her latest, the Forgotten Arm. Sort of a concept album, completely solid from front to back.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »

ELO's Time album. Its all good.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »

i can't believe i never posted in this thread before.  here's a few i came up with when i scanned my music collection...

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Green Day - Dookie
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

and a few comments...
- Nirvana may have been a key part in a major musical shift, but the Foo Fighters are Dave Grohl's real success.  'The Colour and the Shape' is brilliant from start to finish
- many people say Green Day sold out with the release of 'Dookie,' but those 14 catchy songs helped introduce punk rock to the masses.  i know it got me started...
- 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis is the first jazz album i ever listened to as a whole, and it started me down a whole new musical path...the very definition of an essential jazz album
- Motley Crue knocked the rock world on its ass with the release of 'Shout at the Devil'...i felt the same way the first time heard the record (and i do mean vinyl)
- while 'Downward Spiral' is undoubtedly the release that brought NIN to the masses, PHM is where it all started...give it a listen now and imagine how unique it was when it was first released in 1989
- Siamese Dream - one of the greatest guitar rock albums of all time...not much else to say

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 10:08:27 PM »

OKs...Vulgar Display of Power and Mindcrime I'm down with, but here are some others.

Kill Em All - Metallica
A friend turned me onto a bootleg copy in late 84, maybe 85. Absolutely blew me up. Granted, MoP was a better album by a long shot, but this was just so new, so friggin angry, that I was hooked.

Facelift - Alice in Chains
We Die Young....as the opening track? Smacked me upside the ol' noggin. Great album, introduced well done harmonies to metal.

Undertow -Tool
I had the EP prior to this, but Undertow was just so dark and heady. Danny Carrey just absolutely blew me away on almost every track.

Spread Love Like Wildfire - Down to the Bone
Let's get funky! Acid Jazz is good stuff. If anyone enjoys the Beastie Boys throwback instrumentals, take a listen if you get the chance...this is the sound they were looking for.

Gretchen goes to Nebraska - King's X
Just a damn good album from a band ahead of it's time.

Hehe...I could go on about several other albums including Beasties, Jamiroquai, Peter Gabriel, Queens of the Stone Age, and on, and on, and on,  nod

warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2007, 03:33:25 AM »

Quote from: Booner on September 28, 2007, 10:08:27 PM

I love that album.  I think you're the third person I know who has heard of it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 04:25:11 AM »

Natural Born Killers soundtrack.  I can listen to it and picture the movie at the same time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2007, 03:59:54 AM »

Quote from: warning on September 29, 2007, 03:33:25 AM

Quote from: Booner on September 28, 2007, 10:08:27 PM

I love that album.  I think you're the third person I know who has heard of it.

I've heard of it. Back in 01, an old band of mine opened for them in Seattle. It was a sausage party.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: