http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akira movie  (Read 944 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »

looks like a Akira movie is a step closer to reality

but it may be more a film adaptation of the graphic novels,and not so much the Anime

Kotaku

The screen version will be penned by Iron Man writers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby and produced by Leonardo DiCaprio. Instead of trying to cram all of 2,000 plus pages of the Akira manga epic into two hours, Warner Bros. is planning on releasing the film in two parts. Each part would cover three volumes of the manga. (Not entirely convinced the world even needs a Hollywood adaptation of Akira!)

as much as i love Akira,and it still being my favourite Manga/Anime...i just can't see them getting the same atmosphere as the Cartoon

this part of the comment above is the most interesting....
Warner Bros. is planning on releasing the film in two parts.Each part would cover three volumes of the manga

....as it does suggest that they are thinking of the Graphic Novel and not just the Anime,and there were 6 volumes altogether

there is an IMDB page up for it,which only tells us they are aiming for a 2013 release

so what do you think?,will it work?,is this the Anime/Manga that deserves to be concentrated on?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »

This project has been known about for a while already. I haven't read the article you linked to, but the Hollywood version will have some rather major changes made to it. For example, it will take place in an American city with American characters.

I'm cautiously optimistic, particularly since they want to give it a two-film treatment and have chosen the perfect moment in the story to split the two of them (without spoiling anything, the setting goes through a pretty big change at the end of book 3). On the other hand I'm not a big fan of Leonardo Dicaprio.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 03, 2010, 11:34:36 AM

This project has been known about for a while already. I haven't read the article you linked to, but the Hollywood version will have some rather major changes made to it. For example, it will take place in an American city with American characters.

LOL,is that not this? icon_biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 03, 2010, 12:17:47 PM

LOL,is that not this? icon_biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

HAHAHAHAHA!

"Inevitable black gang member."

I liked all the adverts too.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:37:51 PM »

That version was written by Garry Whitta and was put into turnaround (ie canned).  This latest version from the Iron Man writers is a new take. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »

Really? Garry from Qt3? nice.. he did fine with the Denzel movie actually, would love to have seen his take on Akira

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:25 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 04, 2010, 11:32:58 PM

Really? Garry from Qt3? nice.. he did fine with the Denzel movie actually, would love to have seen his take on Akira

Yeah, there was quite a long thread on QT3 about it.  Kind of weird that now that the "Eli" directors are attached they are using the take from a different writer but I guess that's the way it goes. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »

to be a PG-13

although that isn't any real concern as the link says The Dark Knight was a PG-13

the attitude of the director is a little ...well shit TBH

Albert Hughes, however, seems only interested in directing the first part.

"I'm not into sequels," he said in a recent interview. "I don't even know if I wanna be around for the sequel. I'm just focusing on the first movie."

if its a movie split into two parts,i see it more as one big movie...like Kill Bill

Off Topic:i always thought Landon Donovan looks rather like Tetsuo

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »

I missed this post earlier, and I've got to say I'm not looking forward to feature film being made of this at all. I'd probably call myself a big fan of the 87 anime, although it's not my favorite of Otomo's works.  I attended the prescreening debut in Vancouver back in the day, so it'll always have a fond spot in my heart. I think situating the setting outside Japan, is lame and ridiculous. The original anime was post-apocolyptic themed and drew heavily on the sentiment and reality of the 2 nuclear bombs dropped on Japan. Placing it in NA just seems very lame - is the general American film viewer so culturally  dysfunctional that they can't respect setting of a story outside their own country? If the Iron man writers can come up with something as comparable in quality to the 1st Iron Man movie I might consider watching it , but if they come up with something with disjointed sections and scenes like the 2nd Iron Man movie, they can freaking well rot in Hell!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »

Akira live action movie has been greenlit

To start filming early 2012 and could star Garrett Hedlund(Sam Flynn from Tron Legacy)

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 04:06:51 AM »

I don't know if they will be able to pull this one off.......

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 05:17:23 AM »

I stand by what I posted over a year ago - this sounds destined for major flop. Nothing I've read has convinced me this will be anything other than a steaming pile of crap. If anything it sounds like it's taken a downhill turn. First of all, Warner should put it in the hands of someone who actually has the talent to pull it off. This is one of the most acclaimed and time honored animes - literaly credited as the break-through anime for NA audiences. Just so sad that a behemoth like Warner could give it such shoddy treatment!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »

having never wandered into this thread before, i figure a year late is better than never - those pics are GREAT mo smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 06:00:37 AM »

production halted due to budget concerns.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 06, 2012, 06:00:37 AM

Have the Warner Execs even seen the Anime? To recreate THAT in live action is gonna cost a lot of a money. Not sure why they'd be surprised.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 12:03:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 06, 2012, 06:00:37 AM

Yay! Hope they never come up with the money. At least not unless a name like Jackson, Spielberg or Del Torro is attached to it.
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »

For me, Hollywood would need to do a cpmplete cgi movie adaptation of Akira for me to even consider getting behind this. How can live action even replicate the magic of Akira?

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: