http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:44:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: African-Canadians?  (Read 3338 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 20, 2008, 03:30:11 PM

Upon hearing my last name, many ask me about my heritage or where I am "from."  I was born in New Jersey, I lived a number of years in Philadelphia, and currently I reside in Arizona. 

"No, but where are you from?  France, Germany, Slovakia?"

Huh, I never would have pegged Rock as European.  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »

I think it's an issue of not being from said country and not hearing it. I live in Canada and hear it almost all the time.

And DF, because it sounds cooler smile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »

I used to work with a guy named Caesar whose parents were from Guatemala.  When they came to this country they vowed to raise their children as Americans, however.  They tried to only use English around the house, although they did teach them to be proud of their heritage.  They just wanted them to assimilate as well as they could since they themselves felt the pressures of being immigrants. 

We both were assigned to a long term job in El Paso, Texas a few years ago.  We'd heard about the cheap tequila that could be purchased in Juarez across the border, so we crossed over one night to stock up.  On the way back, the border guards stopped us to check out our purchases.   They quickly passed by me and fixated on Caesar.  For some reason, they had trouble believing he was American.  The conversation lasted about 5 minutes and went like this:

Guard:  (says something in Spanish)
Caesar:  Huh?
Guard: (repeats the same thing in Spanish)
Caesar:  Dude, seriously, English.
Guard:  Where are you from?
Caesar:  Jersey
Guard:  Jersey, huh?
Caesar: It's in the U.S..
Guard:  I know where it's at!  How come you don't speak Spanish.
Caesar:  Cause i'm from Jersey?
Guard:  Don't be smart!
Caesar:  Alright.
Guard:  You sure you're not from here?
Caesar:  Pretty sure I'm from Jersey.
Guard:  Alright, go ahead.

The guard seemed genuinely upset at the time that Caesar wasn't fluent in Spanish.  He later told me that he knew SOME Spanish but that he really only had one rule:  if he heard the word "muerte" he'd run.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
yossar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 07:17:21 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 20, 2008, 03:30:11 PM

Why does it matter where my ancestors are from?  I was born in America.  I grew up in America.  I am an American.  If I were to discover that I have a distant relative in my heritage from England, am I supposed to suddenly embody English culture and hate the Irish?  It makes absolutely no sense to me.  It is one thing to take pride in where your family roots began, it is another to pretend that you also hail from the same region when you're simply another American.

It's fun to pretend that you have cultural heritage.  Americans don't really have any unless you pretend that you're Native American and if you aren't that's kind of hard to pull off.  We have 200+ years of American history but that's kind of bland and short compared to most countries. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »

n Denmark I have no clue what to call "people-whom-originally-seems-to-be-from-africa-based-on-the-color-of-their-skin", other than by their name...

A new one
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 08:10:25 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 20, 2008, 03:42:26 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on June 20, 2008, 03:31:52 PM

Agreed.  Now, I believe that it's interesting to see /where/ you came from just as a matter of course, but it shouldn't shape who YOU are.  I mean, my dad went bald at 24.  Because I'm not bald, does that mean I need to shave my head, and be bald because HE was?  No fucking thank you. smile

And yet I see it all over the place.  For example, a friend of mine from Georgia eventually learned that his ancestors came from Ireland.  Suddenly he loved soccer, had the Irish flag tattooed to his shoulder, he began to constantly lament the British, and he proceeded to tell people he was Irish.  He was from fucking Georgia

Where am I from?  Fucking Jersey.  You got a problem wit' dat?  Fabulous

I think it's because like to form their identities in terms of group allegiance and then can be accepted as part of that group.  I suppose it's why I wear so many band TShirts and why other people whear Izods.  Herritage in particular gives a strong sense of belonging.  Like belonging is in your blood.  For my part I am totally tied to a geography that I had nothing to do with.  I identify with Detroit and with Michigan even though I have nothing to do with their operation or history.  I watch sports teams that are compose of people brought in from around the world on a team owned by some Greek guy.  But there every time I go to a pub there is a comradarie watching those teams.  And we cheer and bitch about the same things.

It's like a mini religion.  A faith in nothing in particular to bond to a community.

It doesn't make sense but I guess most of us do it.  I also guess the pull is strong.  I'm also guessing that "minorities" with strong similarities happlity segregate themselves in common bond and that we've got a long way to go until "people are people."  It assuredly won't happen in my life time because ethnicity also brings us so much comfort.  But it's always good to move in the "people are people" direction.  It's my belief that volunteering to breaking down our modern form of language control is going to be a necessary step before we get any closer.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »

Quote from: yossar on June 20, 2008, 07:17:21 PM

It's fun to pretend that you have cultural heritage.  Americans don't really have any unless you pretend that you're Native American and if you aren't that's kind of hard to pull off.  We have 200+ years of American history but that's kind of bland and short compared to most countries. 
Wouldn't "Native American" be anyone born in the U.S.?

Understanding evolution, shouldn't we all be considered African American?

Going back only 5 generations means that you have 62 people to choose from for your next tattoo. Do you pick the one that sounds cool while ignoring the rest of the family branches?

Cultural heritage is a pretty fluid concept. Was there such a thing as Germany 200 hundred years ago? What about Italy? If I have family that goes back 150 years in the U.S. does that make my "American" claim more legitimate than someone else's "Italian-American" claim to an Italy that didn't exist 150 years ago?

Remember, given illegitimacy, rapes and infidelity rates in different countries and at different times, those people that you think are your relatives are not necessarily your biological relatives. Just ask the father who tries to donate blood for his child's surgery only to find out that the blood types don't match. Awkward.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 20, 2008, 08:16:30 PM

if you're white it means you call yourself "Cherokee".   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on June 20, 2008, 01:48:04 AM

Complaints about PC outnumber actual instances of PC to about 2 to 1, in my experience.  At least on message boards.

Ain't that the truth.  I'm so sick of telling someone I didn't appreciate their racist comment and then getting shit for being 'PC'.  Gag.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »

I call my testicles 'Chi-Chi' and 'Sam'.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 20, 2008, 08:16:30 PM

Quote from: yossar on June 20, 2008, 07:17:21 PM

Americans don't really have any unless you pretend that you're Native American and if you aren't that's kind of hard to pull off.

"Native American" is no longer politically correct, apparently.  I took some relatives to the reconstructed 17th century Plimoth Plantation village, complete with professional LARPers, and the signs were very clear that you are only supposed to call the people in the Native section "Native People" or Wampanoag, Micmac, or Cherokee as appropriate.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 09:09:08 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 20, 2008, 08:35:19 PM

I call my testicles 'Chi-Chi' and 'Sam'.
Does that mean you are multi-cultural?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:46 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 20, 2008, 08:29:19 PM

Quote from: Mr. Fed on June 20, 2008, 01:48:04 AM

Complaints about PC outnumber actual instances of PC to about 2 to 1, in my experience.  At least on message boards.

Ain't that the truth.  I'm so sick of telling someone I didn't appreciate their racist comment and then getting shit for being 'PC'.  Gag.

Telling people that they are assholes is a central part of American discourse.  Unless you tell them that they are an asshole about race or religion or something.  Then it's just cold and hurty.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »

Bring your own!

and I'm an American, thank you.  I know what it took from my parents to get over here - and its no different if you are white, black, yellow, green, purple, etc.  Just an American, and damn proud of it, screw being PC.
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »

I'll ask my black friend what he prefers, stop posting until I can tell you.
Thanks
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 05:12:03 AM »

I'm a Gamer.smile
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2008, 09:22:59 AM »

Quote from: Zero on June 20, 2008, 09:57:52 PM

Bring your own!

and I'm an American, thank you.  I know what it took from my parents to get over here - and its no different if you are white, black, yellow, green, purple, etc.  Just an American, and damn proud of it, screw being PC.

nod

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 20, 2008, 07:32:16 PM

n Denmark I have no clue what to call "people-whom-originally-seems-to-be-from-africa-based-on-the-color-of-their-skin", other than by their name...

Some guy on TV once suggested : "African-Americans" - that's why you shouldn't ask random people in the street questions. Most people are idiots.

I don't think we can call anyone anything without being labelled as racist by someone in Denmark these days.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: