http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFI Top 100 Movie Challenge  (Read 1677 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

Last year I embarked on a challenge to watch the top 100 (American) movies as listed by the American Film Institute. I've made my way through nearly 60 of them, but have recently been inspired to go ahead and finish the list. A friend of mine is also taking the "challenge" with me, so I created an interactive checklist to make our organization easier.

The challenge has been really interesting. Some films leave me astounded that I had never seen them before, others leave me scratching my head as to why they are even considered great in the first place. But at the end of the day I can honestly say taking up this challenge has improved my appreciation of film by leaps and bounds. I find myself watching modern movies from a different perspective, and paying attention to things I never paid attention to before.

Because we've been having so much fun with this, I thought I'd help anyone else who wants to embark on the challenge by providing the spreadsheet I use. It contains two lists: the AFI 10th anniversary top 100, and the older original AFI Top 100 list. Both are cross-referenced with each other so that you can easily see how the movie moved up or down in the list, or if it is unique to that list. Also checking off a title you've seen in the main list will automatically highlight it in both lists. I also included IMDB links for each title - great for going through and reading the trivia after you've watched the film. (I highly recommend doing so - it often gives you a lot of insight as to why the film is considered a classic).

I had trouble finding a good file hosting site I could get to from work, so I did the best I could. I think it pops up an ad when you click Download, but you can just close the pop-up out and download. If anyone has a better hosting site and wouldn't mind rehosting and linking, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is an Excel 97/2003-compatible file.

AFI Top 100 Movies Checklist
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:26:18 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »

I'm trying to do something similar and just using Tivo to catch stuff on mostly TCM or AMC that are considered classics. Mainly watching old Westerns or War movies that I haven't ever seen or have just seen parts of for now. That will keep me busy for a while as it takes me forever to get around to watching the few I have tivo'd.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »

Looks like I've seen 41 of them....

48 from both lists combined...

There are a bunch there I'm realistically just never going to see.  I'm not sitting through the Sound of Music.

A bunch I will see though... eventually.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:02:17 PM »

I couldn't complete the list. I have vowed never to watch Titanic, doing so would result in the loss of my Man Card. I'm not gonna lose my Man Card.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »

I've seen Titanic like 4 times, 2 of those in the theater. I drank the Kool-Aid when it came out, and it wasn't until about halfway through the 4th viewing that I realized how utterly horrible it is. I haven't watched it since.

Some of these are a struggle. I'm currently working my way through Lawrence of Arabia (3 1/2 hours). I've been watching it in 30 minute chunks for the past week because that's about as long as I can focus on it in one sitting. It's a really beautifully shot movie, but it's soooooo long........I think some of these movies are on there solely because they are ridiculously lengthy. I'm not looking forward to Ben-Hur or Gone With the Wind either. Thankfully I was forced to sit through the Sound of Music in its entirety in 7th grade, so I don't have to repeat that one.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:37:53 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 30, 2008, 05:24:47 PM

I had trouble finding a good file hosting site I could get to from work, so I did the best I could. I think it pops up an ad when you click Download, but you can just close the pop-up out and download. If anyone has a better hosting site and wouldn't mind rehosting and linking, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is an Excel 97/2003-compatible file.

AFI Top 100 Movies Checklist

Google Docs?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »

interesting that many of the films i saw in a film appreciation class in college are not on the list.  most of the big ones were though (citizen kane, for instance) 

35 total though, so i need to catch up on some of the noticeable entries.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »

I’ve seen 23 and wouldn’t watch half of them again on a bet. I guess that’s why I don’t entirely understand these lists.  Can a movie be considered great if you would never want to see it twice? And at which point do you consider a movie great as opposed to believing it is because everyone told you so?   

*not trying to insult your taste if you actually liked all these movie*
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »

I’ve seen 23 and wouldn’t watch half of them again on a bet. I guess that’s why I don’t entirely understand these lists.  Can a movie be considered great if you would never want to see it twice? And at which point do you consider a movie great as opposed to believing it is because everyone told you so?   

For a lot of these, I'm sure it's almost impossible to fully appreciate them outside of their historical context. Our perceptions can't help but be colored by what we've already experienced, so no matter how much we try to appreciate the technologies used in some of these early films, I don't think we can ever really understand what they were like seeing them for the first time (unless we were around to see them when they came out).

For instance, I could intellectually appreciate the shots used in Citizen Kane. But as a movie I found it pretty "meh." I just have to live with it - I can't trick myself into never having seen those shots copied in dozens of films over the years.

I'm not saying critics are perfect, but I put some faith in lists like this because the people involved in putting it together are thoroughly versed in the historical context in which these films were made and what they contributed - much more than I am or probably ever will be. So I try to keep an open mind. And in the end, these lists aren't meant to be a definitive record of what the best movies are. They're intended to generate interest, debate, and discussion. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 03:51:57 AM »

I got bored with the counting.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is just amazing, though. It really deserves more viewers, and I assure you, if you haven't seen it, it will blow you away.

PSN ID: EduardoX
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 04:09:57 AM »

56 for me. Wow. Figured I would have seen more of them. I know several are in my Netflix queue so I'll catch up on them. Haven't seen Sierra Madre yet though I'd highly recommend African Queen for any who may have missed it. Great, great film.

63 if I include some of the ones listed on the Original list on the right.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:11:36 AM by whiteboyskim » Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »

There are 123 checkboxes counting both sides.  I stand at 43, or 35%.  The outliers that I don't expect to be on most personal lists are The Apartment, Easy Rider, Amadeus, and Singin' in the Rain.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 30, 2008, 07:30:39 PM

I'm currently working my way through Lawrence of Arabia (3 1/2 hours). I've been watching it in 30 minute chunks for the past week because that's about as long as I can focus on it in one sitting. It's a really beautifully shot movie, but it's soooooo long........

I watch that film over christmas vacation every year.  it's in my top 5 film list.  o'toole is just so damn amazing.  there's a scene (i won't ruin it in case you haven't reached that part) where he unburdens himself and admits something to another character that obviously pains him a great deal that will just blow you away. 

...now i wanna watch it again, dagnabit.   icon_wink

as for citizen kane, that's actually at the top of my list.  i think your disinterest in the film's story is a contextual problem.  If you had seen this during the heyday of Hearst, it would've had a much stronger impact on you.  Hearst's power during those days cannot even be imagined in this current world of celebrity as power.  he was a force of nature and welles just went after him in a way no man had ever done. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:25:52 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

I've seen 41 so far without even trying.  I'll bet if I pushed it I would be able to catch them all.  I know I've watched some of Charlie Chaplin's movies like Modern Times, City Lights and The Gold Rush when I was younger, but I didn't count them because it was so long ago.  When I was a kid I was obsessed with Charlie Chaplin.  Weird, right?  I'm shocked that The Great Dictator isn't on either list.

As an aside, when I was trying to type "City Lights" I accidentally typed "Clity Lights."  Definitely a different movie.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:36:22 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 01, 2008, 06:33:34 PM

As an aside, when I was trying to type "City Lights" I accidentally typed "Clity Lights."  Definitely a different movie.

how many times did you have to watch the latter before you realized they were different films?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 01, 2008, 06:36:22 PM

how many times did you have to watch the latter before you realized they were different films?

Like four.  I kept saying, "I thought City Lights was supposed to be a silent movie."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 01, 2008, 06:38:10 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 01, 2008, 06:36:22 PM

Like four.  I kept saying, "I thought City Lights was supposed to be a silent movie."

I was the same way with "On Golden Blonde"...

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »

I've seen 73 on the most recent, and 74 on the older list.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: